PDA

View Full Version : UT-Chattanooga off to Ohio Valley & CCU to SoCon!

CCU2003
October 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Word from a very, very reliable source says move can come as early as next year, but most likely two years off. UT-C wants to play teams closer to home and CCU is ready to join! All speculation until SoCon names new Commissioner, though. :cool:

youwouldno
October 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Since their main sport is basketball, and the SoCon is a better basketball conference than the OVC, that would be a very dumb move by UTC-- one I'm not sold they will make. Not with their football program improving.

Sly Fox
October 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Perhaps some wishful thinking on this one from a certain newbie poster.

CCU2003
October 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Perhaps some wishful thinking on this one from a certain newbie poster.

Or perhaps some inside knowledge from someone close to the University? I know you'd love to get out of the BS too, may the best Univ leave first! :o

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM
What would the conference makeup be after this? And weren't there some other teams we were hearing not too long ago that may jump to the Big South?

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I would have to disagree, with the exception of two or three teams, the OVC is basically a basketball conference (I think their current conference football rating backs that up). For those school who play, football is king in the SoCon...for most in the OVC is something to do until October 15th rolls around.

Since 1999, the OVC has finished above the SoCon 4 of the 7 times times in the RPI...though typically, it is never more than a couple of places different...2005 was OVC 20th, SoCon 22nd...so I would say they are comparable, with neither being much better than the other.

However, there is no contest which conference takes basketball more "seriously"...the OVC, hands down...the proof? ....Attendance (let the fans in the stands make the decision :))...

Subtracting ETSU (btw, ETSU and UC accounted for over a 1/3 of total attendance in the SoCon), the SoCon had two teams average over 3,000 last year (Chattanooga and Charleston), the OVC averaged 3,000 (ok, 2,995), with 5 teams over 3,000.

SoCon had 4 teams average over 2,000...OVC, 9 teams (all but JSU and Samford)...JSU was last in the OVC and still finshed ahead of WCU, UNCG, and Elon (and almost ahead of Citadel).

As for conjecture about the Mocs joining the OVC, I will go pull my comment from the Socon expansion thread (in smack talk) and post it over here...I would argue that the jump to the OVC is far from a "done deal"...though it is an obvious "no-brainer" geographically. I know not everyone on hear knows me, but those who do know that my information on the Chattanooga program is impeccable.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM
(copied and truncated from "SoCon Expansion" thread)

First let me state that like some other schools...Chattanooga fans are not railing to get out of the SoCon...we like it here and, in general, are happy...the SoCon has been very good to us (120 titles since joining in 1977), but...

There are number of coaches and A.D. staff that would support moving to the OVC (I mean, all sports accounted, we already play about 40 OVC team a year)

...it makes sense financially and geographically...especially geograpically (5 OVC schools are closer to Chattanooga than the nearest SoCon school...which is Western Carolina...and even then, there is no easy way to get there, so it is about 4 hours on the road to any away game)

...and basketball is taken more seriously, which is still the money maker in Chattanooga (note: I didn't say substantially "better", just more serious and MUCH better attended, men's and women's)

But, AD Steve Sloan, is not interested in it at all, so as long as he is there, it appears to be a non-issue (though privately, the OVC and some of it schools have made no bones that UC is who they would like to have...put it this way, if UC said yes, it would be a done deal at the next meeting). The question is, how long will Sloan be there???? (it might be a shorter amount of time than people think). I am not sure it would happen though because ulitmately, the SoCon has a prestige factor that the OVC doesn't.

rokamortis
October 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I don't know if you can trust what you hear from the school. Now if it was some people from another school or the SoCon talking about this then I'd be more confident. Things seem to leak when they are 'done deals' and since we haven't heard from a third party then I am very skeptical. There has been a lot of talk about this but I'll believe it when I see it.

Psychored
October 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Take it from one who's "been there done that" the ohio valley would not be a move up for the Mocs! :bang:

--EDITED FOR SMACK--

youwouldno
October 11th, 2005, 09:55 PM
So, at best, the Mocs would be in a conference that cares more about basketball, but still isn't that good, while moving into a vastly inferior football conference?

Doubtful move.

Baldy
October 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Word from a very, very reliable source says move can come as early as next year, but most likely two years off. UT-C wants to play teams closer to home and CCU is ready to join! All speculation until SoCon names new Commissioner, though. :cool:

More like wishful thinking from a wannabe. :cool:

galojay
October 11th, 2005, 11:48 PM
More like wishful thinking from a wannabe. :cool:

Who would wanna be in the OVC?

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2005, 01:19 AM
So, at best, the Mocs would be in a conference that cares more about basketball, but still isn't that good, while moving into a vastly inferior football conference?

Doubtful move.

It has a lot to do with geography and economics...

...lets pull out a map...Chattanooga is less than 90 miles from the center of the OVC...center of the SoCon is somewhere over the mountains in South Carolina...

...closer schools, less travel (saves $$$$)...

...schools whose fans travel to Chattanooga (earns more $$$$) and Mocs fans that do the same (best attendance we have gotten in the last couple of seasons have been fans from JSU and Samford...and we had hundreds...and the band...go to JSU...reason, it is less than 3 hours away)...

...same for basketball...we sometimes get hundreds ($$$$) when we have Tech, or Austin Peay, etc...we are lucky to have a dozen parents show up from SoCon schools...and we take bus loads on the road...

(and let me say, I am not knocking SoCon fans for not coming...I wouldn't drive that far either...which is kinda the point)

...four instate schools...as opposed to the SoCon who booted (I know, it was their own fault) the only real rival Chattanooga had in the SoCon and the only other Tennessee school...

...the SoCon keeps getting farther away from Chattanooga...the OVC keeps getting closer (with the addition of the Bama schools)...

...basketball championships in Nashville (2 hours away...1,000's of fans) as opposed to Moc fans dragging their butts to Charleston (nearly 8 hours...100's of fans)...

Honestly said, if it were not for football being so much better in the SoCon, we school would have probably already been gone. But the last time I checked, the OVC is invited to the the IAA playoffs.

But hey, I guess "youwouldno...better" than I would. ;)

kfkolonel
October 12th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I feel sure that EKU would welcome the Mocs in the OVC. As several posters have indicated, the OVC could use an upgrade in football. I'll bet Jacksonville State and Samford would like to have a "neighbor" in the conference, too.

DotCat
October 12th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I'd hate to see the Mocs leave the SoCon, however the OVC does seem a better fit geographically now that ETSU has gone to the A-Sun. If that did happen, the SoCon would be down two schools, what a scheduling nightmare.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Chattanoogamocs, didn't the school commission a study on dropping football? As much as I would hate to see Chattanooga leave, making football more cost effective by changing conferences would be better than dropping fball.

Cocky
October 12th, 2005, 07:21 AM
JSU would be glad to see UC in the OVC. With UC the OVC's ranking in basketball would rise and the SOCON would go down.

I believe the football gap is closing between the OVC and the top tier conferences. JSU and EKU are close to being top ranking teams. JSU loss by 2 to FU and EKU loss by 1 or 2 to WKU the top ranked team. UTM looks to be very competitive this year also. The bottom of the conferences has a ways to go but with UC there would be 3 close teams.

The problem with OVC football is that only a few teams put importance on football the rest are basketball school 12 months a year.

Send us UC we will take them with open arms. While your at it send us GSU and the SOCON can be the Carolina league.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 07:25 AM
JSU would be glad to see UC in the OVC. With UC the OVC's ranking in basketball would rise and the SOCON would go down.

I believe the football gap is closing between the OVC and the top tier conferences. JSU and EKU are close to being top ranking teams. JSU loss by 2 to FU and EKU loss by 1 or 2 to WKU the top ranked team. UTM looks to be very competitive this year also. The bottom of the conferences has a ways to go but with UC there would be 3 close teams.

The problem with OVC football is that only a few teams put importance on football the rest are basketball school 12 months a year.

Send us UC we will take them with open arms. While your at it send us GSU and the SOCON can be the Carolina league.

Sorry Cocky, GSU wants to move up in football :p :D

Cocky
October 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry Cocky, GSU wants to move up in football :p :D

They have nowhere to go. I'm not sure the OVC isn't as strong as the SunBelt.

I know the OVC isn't a good fit for GSU but we would gladly take them.

Golden Eagle
October 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Doubt it's as imminent as claimed, but it would be great to have UT-Chattanooga in the OVC.

FURMANFAN
October 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM
A better solution would be for the SoCon to invite an OVC school to fill it's vacancy instead of CCU. Nothing against CCU, but I think having every 1-AA team in the Carolinas in the same conference is a bad idea. It marginalizes the SoCon nationally. What you save in travel, you lose in prestige and interest. Personally, I was against Wofford joining for this same reason. Nothing wrong with Wofford it would just have been better if they were in Richmond or Nashville, not Spartanburg, SC. My choice of current OVC members would be EKU. From what I know of the school they seem to be a good fit with the SoCon's other state schools. Also, I like the idea of expanding "sort-of" north as opposed to Alabama or another Tennessee school. That's just personal preference, but another school in the Carolinas just doesn't make sense.

SoCon48
October 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I'd hate to see the Mocs leave the SoCon, however the OVC does seem a better fit geographically now that ETSU has gone to the A-Sun. If that did happen, the SoCon would be down two schools, what a scheduling nightmare.

Plus that would make placing high in the North Division in basketball much easier with both ETSU and Chatt gone. :confused:

arkstfan
October 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Move makes sense.

STRIKE ONE!

Saint3333
October 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I don't see Nooga leaving.

I too would like to see EKU join the SoCo. I like playing them in football every year, ASU might as well have them as a conference game.

I'd put my money on EKU in an EKU-CCU match-up this year. EKU has a bigger o-line than ASU so I could only imagine what kind of rushing numbers they'd have.

ButlerGSU
October 12th, 2005, 12:48 PM
GSU & ASU are both leaving the SoCon within 5-10 years so you are welcome to our spot...

GannonFan
October 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I feel sure that EKU would welcome the Mocs in the OVC. ...the OVC could use an upgrade in football.

Wow, how far has the OVC sunk that UT-Chatt is now considered an upgrade in football? Yikes.

atlGAmocs
October 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I have to agree with Gannonfan, viewing UTC as a football upgrade does not speak well for the OVC.

I think this is a move that makes sense for UTC. The geography is right and the economics fit. The OVC has just one private school, Samford. It seems there would be a more level playing field in terms of athletic budgets.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with Gannonfan, viewing UTC as a football upgrade does not speak well for the OVC.

I think this is a move that makes sense for UTC. The geography is right and the economics fit. The OVC has just one private school, Samford. It seems there would be a more level playing field in terms of athletic budgets.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thumper250
October 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
The OVC is full. The SoCon's next member will be Presbyterian College. Mark it down in 2007. The Chants can settle in for the Big South, because its your home for now ... and likely for a while.

I'm 75 percent sure, from who I've spoken with that PC is your next SoCon member. Too many of the folks in power want another private, and Presbyterian fits well with Furman, Wofford, Elon. They're old buds.

thirdgendin
October 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
The OVC is full. The SoCon's next member will be Presbyterian College. Mark it down in 2007. The Chants can settle in for the Big South, because its your home for now ... and likely for a while.

I'm 75 percent sure, from who I've spoken with that PC is your next SoCon member. Too many of the folks in power want another private, and Presbyterian fits well with Furman, Wofford, Elon. They're old buds.

Far from the truth. I would seriously doubt that Wofford or Furman would support Presbyterian joining the SoCon. Why would you want another like-minded school from 45 minutes away to join your league and get credibility? Neither school wants PC in, and I don't believe the SoCon as a whole does either.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM

I don't think the publics will allow PC to replace ETSU and I don't blame them.
And, while I don't know FU's position, I think FU would be real "dumb" to support another school's, within 60 miles of G'ville, entrance to the SoCon.

I don't believe. it.

Thumper250
October 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Twould be a fine rivalry for sure, the 'Dins and the Hose. I have heard serious conversations about Samford as well, but we'll see.

If GSU and Appalachian State jump to I-A, then Coastal might have a shot.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Far from the truth. I would seriously doubt that Wofford or Furman would support Presbyterian joining the SoCon. Why would you want another like-minded school from 45 minutes away to join your league and get credibility? Neither school wants PC in, and I don't believe the SoCon as a whole does either.

You beat me to it and I absolutely agree. PC goes tothe BSouth.

youwouldno
October 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
GSU & ASU are both leaving the SoCon within 5-10 years so you are welcome to our spot...

GSU is joining the Sun Belch and ASU is dropping football?

Thumper250
October 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Honestly, if you're Coastal, why even want go to the SoCon?

In the Big South, you'll dominate most years, if not every year and have a shot at the top 20 and the playoffs, because they'll eventually get to 6-8 teams.

In the SoCon, you're looking at leap frogging four teams at least to even have a chance ... and you're not going to beat Appy, Furman, GSU or Wofford consistently. Totally different ballgame.

Joing the CAA would make more sense for Coastal.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Honestly, if you're Coastal, why even want go to the SoCon?

In the Big South, you'll dominate most years, if not every year and have a shot at the top 20 and the playoffs, because they'll eventually get to 6-8 teams.

In the SoCon, you're looking at leap frogging four teams at least to even have a chance ... and you're not going to beat Appy, Furman, GSU or Wofford consistently. Totally different ballgame.

Beats me. Ask CCU fans. But I will fathom a guess. First I am not sure getting to six teams will guaranty an auto-bid. Second, let's say PC is the next BSouth member, they have to go through the transitional period before they are eligible for the playoffs which probably delays the auto-bid possibilty. Third, credibility increases immediately which should hepl recruiting even more.

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Chattanoogamocs, didn't the school commission a study on dropping football? As much as I would hate to see Chattanooga leave, making football more cost effective by changing conferences would be better than dropping fball.

Some anti-football professors on a committee did their own study, issued an obviously biased report, and had a reporter friend get it a lot more ink than it deserved in the T-FP...The group has zero power to institute any changes...just an advisory group upset because teacher salaries are too low (I agree) and are looking for someone to blame

Now that things seem to finally be turning around for football...no one is listening to them anymore.

Some were a bit worried when the new chancellor took over if he was "pro or anti football"...I think it has become very clear he is a supporter...he was down firing the cannon at homecoming and joined in with the band (on the drums) for a while...all deck out in UC gear.

Here is the deal...many people (and obviously on this board since it is football) look at this and say, "are they crazy? the SoCon is better in football"...and it is a better conference, no doubt. I don't even think that anyone from the OVC would disagree with the statement. But, you can't look at it from just football, but from an overall program assessment...and overall, the OVC and SoCon are comparable in most sports (OVC is better in some, the SoCon is better in some).

SuperJon
October 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I don't want to go to the SoCon and I never have. I would rather get in PC and another team or two in the Big South and be the school responsible for upgrading the Big South.

Saint3333
October 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
PC :lmao:

SuperJon
October 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
You have to start somewhere. They may be D2 but they're moving up the ladder. It's better to be moving up than being stagnant for 20 years.

Eagles_Cliff
October 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I don't know where the talk about GSU going to I-A is coming from, but that won't happen anytime soon. The I-A vs I-AA argument has been around GSU since it was still GSC in the 1980s, but the question remains.."where do we go?" Why would you join a weak, minor I-A conference and play for the same or less recognition? If we got invited to the Big East, it might work, but its all speculation. A plan won't even be implemented until the NCAA figures out what to do with the three levels of Div I football which are: True BCS (USC, UGA, TENN, FSU,etc.) Also-ran I-A (Syracuse, Duke, Vandy, San Diego st. etc.) and I-A Pretenders (Troy st., Arkansas st., Marshall, E. Carolina) who are really I-AA with more scholarships.

To the original issue, it's well known that CCU WANTS to join the SoCon. It'll probably happen eventually. Geographically, for GSU, they are about the same distance as Furman and Wofford and hell, I like Myrtle Beach. They don't do much for the conference right away, but it looks like they're on their way to being a solid program. It makes a lot of sense for UT-Chatt to go OVC for all the reasons stated.

One additional team to keep an eye on is Valdosta State in Valdosta, GA. They are a very strong Div II team that will probably want to make a move to I-AA. The BIG problem they have is that the two high schools (Valdosta and Lowndes Co.) draw more fans than many I-AA programs!

PS I think PC joining the SoCon will happen right after GSU goes to the SEC and App State and Furman go ACC.

Cincy App
October 12th, 2005, 06:55 PM
It's sad that bringing in Presbyterian College would upgrade a I-AA conference such as the Big South!

Sly Fox
October 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
The upgrade would be in the fact that they would be the league's 6th member.

We've discussed the SoCon situation with CCU ad nauseum here and on our boards. Bottom line, I think both Liberty & Coastal have greater longterm aspirations than the SoCon. Its a clear step up from the Big South. But then again, what league isn't? In the meantime we'll do our best to upgrade the league from within. Unfortunately my school isn't doing its share on the football field right now. But league affiliation is about much more than just football (I know that's heresy on this board).

Thumper250
October 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I'd agree that upgrading the Big South from within is the best course of action for Coastal and Liberty.

Furman people ask me all the time why GWU isn't trying to go SoCon ... and it would make sense from a travel standpoint with no fewer than seven schools within a two-hour drive or less. Truth is that Elon blocked the Bulldogs from joining the Big South as full members back in 2000, and would do the same should the SoCon come calling even 10 years from now.

I do hear that GWU will be in the Big South as full members no later than 2008. So that's great news for potential rivalries in hoops and other sports.

Cincy App
October 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
We'll do our best to upgrade the league from within. Unfortunately my school isn't doing its share on the football field right now.

Good statement. I would agree that improvement needs to start from within - through schools like Liberty and GWU. I'm surprised that Liberty hasn't done that well over the past few years. Still think Liberty has the potential to develop a competitive football squad again.

rokamortis
October 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I'd agree that upgrading the Big South from within is the best course of action for Coastal and Liberty.

The problem is it doesn't appear that the other schools really want to 'upgrade' the Big South. I'd be 110% for staying in the Big South if the other schools showed a commitment to upgrading. I was all excited about a more powerful Big South before the season started but as the season progresses I realize I had set my expectations too high.

If an invitation was extended to CCU and we turned it down - wouldn't the other BSC schools jump at the chance of trying to get in to the SoCon?

ekufbfan
October 12th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Maybe UT-Chat can take EKU's place in the OVC and we can get the heck out of Dodge!!! Would make a lot of EKU fans happy to move on!!

bigbluetiger
October 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
If it's was all about football TnSU would have left years ago. We remain despite poor attendance from visiting teams for the RPI in basketball/vollyball and cost savings for travel especially for non-revenue sports. TSU leads the league and football and are pretty high in basketball and that's with below average football teams. Our fans attend our games and don't take off for Knoxville every weekend. Our fans help set an attendance record at Chattanooga when the stadium first opened up. Hopefully Chattanooga would force the OVC into and divisional format so we could play more revenue generating games that would include a mixture of HBCU's and D1 paydates.

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I mentioned the PC join the SoCon rumor that sometimes pops up on messageboard to a SoCon official...he laughed his arse off and the exact quote was..."yeah, in about 30 or 40 years".

Now that is just one person, but I gotta feel that the odds of PC are pretty slim...who would vote for them? App, WCU, GSU, UC...no...would any of the basketball schools?

That is just a scare tactic that those who want to push the agenda of their own school moving up to DI use on the rest of their fans to rattle them.

blur2005
October 12th, 2005, 10:17 PM

*choke*

It would make a lot more sense for Coastal to join the SoCon. First because of the fact Coastal is much closer to all the SoCon teams than all the A-10/soon to be CAA teams. Second, the A-10/CAA is already overloaded with teams, as we have 12 now, and ODU is building a football program in all likelihood, which would give us 13, so we'll be losing a team as it is...probably 'Nova or Richmond.

blur2005
October 12th, 2005, 10:22 PM
To solve all of this, why don't we have Coastal join the SoCon, UT-Chattanooga join the OVC, and Eastern Kentucky join the Gateway, to give the Gateway the optimal number of football teams, nine. That would work, no?

Sly Fox
October 12th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Eventually, the CAA is going to have to split because of the number of schools. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the CAA is the most attractive conference to Liberty. But we've been rebuffed in our overtures many times over the years (ditto with the A-10). And who knows how long it will be before another opportunity arises.

If the Big South doesn't get a 6th member sometime soon, the football league is likely to dissolve and perhaps the whole thing will begin to fall apart. Right now, there are three schools making an effort in our league to spend the money necessary to upgrade: Coastal, Liberty & Winthrop. VMI pulls its weight to an extent. But the rest of the teams have been a major disappointment for us. With Winthrop not playing football, we are doing our best to forge a solid relationship with CCU for now and the future. I could definitely see us partnering up should any NEW opportunities arise down the road.

I fully understand Chatty considering the OVC. While the Socon is a great football league, in other sports its not all that. The longtime member schools need to get over themselves.

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Where exactly would the rest of EKU's teams go?
Oh. This is a good point. I mean, their basketball team is pretty good, so like the MVC or something?

JaxSinfonian
October 13th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Maybe UT-Chat can take EKU's place in the OVC and we can get the heck out of Dodge!!! Would make a lot of EKU fans happy to move on!!

Don't you dare leave us holding this bag! If EKU appears as if it's looking for a new home, look for Jax State to bolt too. Any criticism of the OVC among JSU fans is usually countered with, "Well, there's Eastern Kentucky."

If Valdosta State moves up and West Gerogia does too, maybe we could talk North Alabama into it. Then if Troy gets busted back down to I-AA we can buy the rights to the name "Gulf South Conference" and start rebuilding the old core of that league here in I-AA. THAT would make a lot of Jax State fans very happy.

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I fully understand Chatty considering the OVC. While the Socon is a great football league, in other sports its not all that. The longtime member schools need to get over themselves.

Most SoCon fans understand our strength is football.

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM
I do think that if CCU wants in the SoCon and they can be patient, it will happen. SoCon needs another football school and we need one that has the desire and allocates resources to be good.

Golden Eagle
October 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
EKU can never leave the OVC.... they need us.

bigbluetiger
October 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
EKU can never leave the OVC.... they need us.

Golden Eagle where do your fans hang out on the net? We have a little game tonight and little discussion/trash talk might be appropriate.

Golden Eagle
October 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Golden Eagle where do your fans hang out on the net? We have a little game tonight and little discussion/trash talk might be appropriate.

There are a few over at the ESPN boards, but they don't come out until B-Ball season. And they're uniformly annoying.

Otherwise, I don't know of any other TTU fans out there.

I'm looking forward to the game, btw.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
In Today's Tennessean, they did a preview of OVC basketball, and the changes in scheduling (doing full round-robin) this year. At the end was this comment:

There's even talk of someday increasing the league membership to 12.

"Everybody would like to see an extra team come in so we can go to divisions," Tennessee Tech women's Coach Bill Worrell said

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051013/SPORTS0604/510130385/1345/SPORTS

BTW - The Tennessean had 4 OVC articles today - two on TSU football, on one TTU men's basketball coach's illness, and one on OVC Basketball.

I-AA Fan
October 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I doubt they leave, but how could you think that would be a move down? Quite the opposite would be the case. Traditionally, the OVC is a top-shelf mid-major basketball conference. They have been down in recent years, but never to the extent of the SoCon ... no insult intended. OVC has national-championship caliber baseball, rifle, cross country, track and field, and golf.

TTU, MTSU and EKU also have excellent women's BB programs. Marynell Meadors had a dynasty, then Worrell took TTU to 12 NCAA's (8 elite 8's) in less than 20 years at TTU. Although the conference is very top-heavy.

In men's, it has been a while, but I remember when MSU, and APSU both advanced in the same year. I also rember Dick Vitale saying in the pre-game that if APSU beat #1 seed Ilinois, he would fly down to APSU and stand on his head in front of the entire student ... he made the trip. I also remember Murray knocking off NC state & then taking eventual national champs Kansas into OT, the watching the ball roll around & fall out with not time left, and the racers lost by 2. I think I am showing my age.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
That was one thing I did not mention much in my earlier posts (I focused more on men's basketbal and football....trying not to stray too far from the intent of AGS :))

...Chattanooga obviously places a very high priority on women's basketball ...something I think that, in general, the SoCon has done a pretty poor job of...it is odd too, the SoCon actually ranks better in the RPI than the OVC (of course, partially because the Lady Mocs have been top 50 in the RPI the last 6 years), but the OVC just KILLS the SoCon in fan support. TTU averages over 3,000 a game...four other schools, over a 1,000....most years, besides UC, not school in the SoCon averages over 800...and most are lucky to get a couple hundred (and then there's Wofford...who had to schedule a bad DII team to avoid the longest losing streak in women's DI history..ouch).

OSRacer
October 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
For what it's worth, I would gladly welcome the Mocs to the OVC. Believe it or not, I think that the football will improve in the next 3-5 years, and in all other sports we have been more than competitive. I think UTC brings instant name recognition and gets the conference into a good sized market (not to mention close proximity to ATL) - so the sooner the better as far as I am concerned...

sceagle
October 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Enough with the SoCon bashing. We finished 13th in the NCAA golf championship last year and my memory isn't great but I don't think there were any OVC teams above us. And baseball, are you serious? CofC, GSU, WCU, UNCG, Citadel are all solid programs. Furman was the 8 seed in the conference tourney and they won it. They also beat South Carolina twice last year. Soccer. UNCG nationally ranked. Both UNCG and CofC advanced in the NCAA soccer tournament last year. Obviously attendance is stronger in the OVC but overall it's tough to put it ahead of the SoCon.

JohnStOnge
October 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Doubtful move.

Haven't run the numbers but could be a matter of travel costs. Also, they'd have a better shot to compete for conference titles in football. Look at what happened with Jacksonville State. The Gamecocks never won a I-AA conference football title or got into the I-AA playoffs until they moved to the OVC...where they won the championship and got into the playoffs at the end of their first season in their league. They also found themselves in a conference that made more geographical sense for them.

On the basketball thing...I can see that the two conferences have been close in power ratings...very close. And if you move UTC to the OVC it improves that conference some while dropping the Southern some. At least that's what power ratings suggest.

Also...just as a casual fan of NCAA basketball...I think Murray State and Austin Peay have bigger basketball reputations in that sport than anybody in the Southern has. More name recognition in that realm.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Davidson as the best reputation of any school in either conference...in the late 60's they were a top 10 school (one year, they were never rated below 6th).

...alas, that was 5 decades ago :( ...CofC has a short (DI), but distinguished tradition too.

I know there was kinda a joke about what it says about the current OVC in football in that Chattanooga would be a boost.

But, I think where it would really be a boost is because, while not putting the best product on the field over the last 10-20 years, the Mocs and the school do take football seriously...that is what the OVC needs...more teams that put equal emphasis on football and basketball.

I think it would get that with Chattanooga (and with the current improvement in the program...a pretty decent team...the Mocs are 2-0 against the OVC this year :)). ...and I think the more teams you have that take any sport seriously, forces others to do the same.

It would also be of a coat tail benefit for the OVC in name recognition that the IAA National Championship would be hosted by an OVC team.

...and in an honest assessment you have to ask yourself, ok, what will fans like more (and attend)...a middle of the pack SoCon team and long road trips, or an OVC team that is in conference title contention with a bunch of team "right down the road"? I would argue that no matter the conference, people just want to see their team win.

Heck, it is all just conjecture anyway...but it does make for interesting conversation.

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Davidson as the best reputation of any school in either conference...in the late 60's they were a top 10 school (one year, they were never rated below 6th).

...alas, that was 5 decades ago :( ...CofC has a short (DI), but distinguished tradition too.

Given their perfomance in the SoCon, did you mean "HAD"???

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM
which school are you talking about?

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 07:14 PM
which school are you talking about?

CofC. Still a good SoCon team, but not exactly in the national limelight. They were supposed to be the savior of the SoCon.