PDA

View Full Version : Midseason: Questions abound

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Looking over the GPI, I've noticed that this year in I-AA really has been wacky.

First of all, there are only 2 undefeated squads in all of I-AA (Hampton, Dayton). Neither have played what would normally be considered a "challenging" schedule. Hampton's best win was against Delware St. (#52) and Dayton's was against Morehead St. (#84)

Second, there are only 3 teams who have 1 loss whose only losses have been to I-A teams (Montana, Cal Poly, Western Kentucky).

Montana and Western Kentucky have a non-D-I win apiece.

Western Kentucky's best win was against Eastern Kentucky (#14).
Montana's best win was against Idaho St. (#32).
Cal Poly's best win was against Montana St. (#5).

Think about that. After 6 games, there are only 2 undefeated teams, and only 5 which are undefeated when you subtract I-A losses. Additionally, in two weeks, one will definitely go down when Cal Poly faces Montana.

Has this ever happened before?

Furthermore, there are a lot of teams already with 1 or 2 losses. If the upsets keep coming - and there are a lot of good matchups yet to come, with the season only half over - could a 4-loss team make the playoffs?

With the Southland cancellations, would a 6-3 McNeese St. team be taken over a (say) 7-4 Delaware team?

Questions abound...

TigerFan17
October 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM
There is no way UD should make the playoffs this year if they continue to play at the level they are now.

If they are letting 7-4 teams in though, we might have a chance! :eek:

Paladin1aa
October 11th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Not true. YSU is 5-1 and the loss is to I-A Pitt.

And wishful thinking. There will be plenty of 8-3 or better teams to pick from.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Not true. YSU is 5-1 and the loss is to I-A Pitt.

And wishful thinking. There will be plenty of 8-3 or better teams to pick from.

Stop bring up YSU...yes they might be playing good football...but when you are not playing anybody...you should look good...and look like a good team...(I am not trying to take anything away from them) Talk to me in 3 weeks when YSU finally starts to play some good teams...Until then nobody outside of YSU cares about your 5-1 record...I would hope you would be 5-1 with those cup cakes...When you beat someone in the top 25 or top 30 then come say something...until then enjoy your wins over those cup cake schools

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for pointing out my oversight. YSU is #11 in the GPI, 5-1 overall, with their only loss to a I-A. They've beaten a non-D-I opponent, and their best win was against #33 Illinois St.

They also will play WKU to end the year, so either YSU or WKU will definitely have a I-AA loss this year.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Second, there are only 3 teams who have 1 loss whose only losses have been to I-A teams (Montana, Cal Poly, Western Kentucky).

SLC has the Bobcats win sole loss to I-A (A&M)...

With the Southland cancellations, would a 6-3 McNeese St. team be taken over a (say) 7-4 Delaware team?

A one-loss SLC McNeese team at 7-2 could be taken...