PDA

View Full Version : No Fight Song Database :(

gophoenix
June 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well, I put up the initial fight song database and had too many schools tell me to take their songs off or face prosecution. So, it just isn't worth it.

Sorry guys.

AshevilleApp2
June 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for trying.

TheValleyRaider
June 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
What were they going to prosecute for? xconfusedx

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Copyright infringement?

Damn lawyers.

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
stealing probably. I would think that they would want their school song out and available to as many as possible. But oh well. Thanks for trying.

MaximumBobcat
June 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Which schools told you to take them off?

bobbythekidd
June 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That's too bad.

lizrdgizrd
June 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Well, I put up the initial fight song database and had too many schools tell me to take their songs off or face prosecution. So, it just isn't worth it.

Sorry guys.

Seems a bit odd. xeyebrowx

gophoenix
June 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, copyright infringement. Since most are either band recordings on the band website, therefore copyrighted by the schools or recorded at games (where everything happening at the game is owned by the school). No unlawful reproduction .... blah blah blah

I won't get into who.... but let's just say it was about 15 already. I will say, it wasn't Georgia State, Lafayette or Robert Morris.

Most wanted them off. A few told me they would settle with having the sound clip be mono and 11khz (basically sound like crap). That's how the other site gets away with it. They also wouldn't let me use it even if I put links to the referring page. The clip must reside on their servers.

Yes, stupid lawyers.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Could you just create an index with links to the respective pages?

gophoenix
June 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Could you just create an index with links to the respective pages?

That would work for the songs served by the schools. I am going to try that and go with what was donated or ripped from youtube, etc.

It just really sucks that schools would be this flippin' silly about it. Especially non-BCS schools that are starving for fans compared to BCS schools.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That would work for the songs served by the schools. I am going to try that and go with what was donated or ripped from youtube, etc.

It just really sucks that schools would be this flippin' silly about it. Especially non-BCS schools that are starving for fans compared to BCS schools.

Agreed. You would think that schools would want the exposure. I'm sure you tried this, but did you "package" the site it in terms that could only help the school? Are you trying to profit from the site?

ngineer
June 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Don't blame the lawyers. Blame the schools. It was their decision of not wanting their songs reproduced without permission or compensation. The law is the law. Whether one wants to enforce it is their decision, for whatever reason; but don't blame the lawyers for what has been a right enjoyed by us all for a couple hundred years.

downbythebeach
June 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Wait.......so Robert Morris U was one of the complaining schools?

gophoenix
June 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Wait.......so Robert Morris U was one of the complaining schools?

No no.... Robert Morris was one of the schools who voluntarily gave me their song and said do as I see fit. As were about 30 other schools that were really nice about it.

Biff
June 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I would still like to see you post from the schools that allow you to. (I bet The Citadel argued as well. They always want money.)

You can do links for the schools that won't allow it, or leave them off and let the schools look at the publicity they are missing.

CSUBUCDAD
June 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Don't feel bad, I could not even get an answer from the Chuck South Band director either by email or voice mail.

Purple Pride
June 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Post the one's that will allow it, and screw the rest of them.xthumbsupx

gophoenix
June 6th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I just worry about the schools that haven't said anything yet. If they want to and this goes mainline and they see people using it, I could really get slapped with something serious rather than a simple cease and desist. So, let me see what I can work up.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in how this has come down.

furman94
June 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Did FU allow? I bet not!

mizzoufan1
June 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
This is a complete and total surprise...They allow the songs to be downloaded then say you can't use them in a NON-Profit use to try and advirtise an aspect their schools...I REALLY don't get lawyers these days...

mizzoufan1
June 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I just worry about the schools that haven't said anything yet. If they want to and this goes mainline and they see people using it, I could really get slapped with something serious rather than a simple cease and desist. So, let me see what I can work up.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in how this has come down.

The ones that have not said anything are the ones you have to worry about the most. xmadx

It is VERY disappointing...xnonono2x

ngineer
June 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM
This is a complete and total surprise...They allow the songs to be downloaded then say you can't use them in a NON-Profit use to try and advirtise an aspect their schools...I REALLY don't get lawyers these days...

Read my prior post. Your disgruntlement is misdirected.xsmhx

kirkblitz
June 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM
did coastal carolina allow it? I am just curious because i dont think ive ever even heard our fight song?

Grizzaholic
June 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Don't blame the lawyers. Blame the schools. It was their decision of not wanting their songs reproduced without permission or compensation. The law is the law. Whether one wants to enforce it is their decision, for whatever reason; but don't blame the lawyers for what has been a right enjoyed by us all for a couple hundred years.

That is correct. It is the school's decision to let one use it or not. Lawyers are just the means not necessarly the problem.

UAalum72
June 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Lawyers don't sue people, people sue people.

mizzoufan1
June 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM

It is just frustrating that the schools are being very narrow-minded about this...

downbythebeach
June 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
^agreed, and my alma mater was one of the schools that threatened a lawsuit

we need all the publicity we can get being perenial bottom dwellers in division I attendance

gophoenix
June 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM

No, but lawyers do make the laws these days to where there is no real sanity check. There was a reason the original federal government banned barred lawyers from serving as an elected official.

gophoenix
June 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
did coastal carolina allow it? I am just curious because i dont think ive ever even heard our fight song?

Coastal's fight song is here:
http://www.coastal.edu/spirit/sounds/ccufightsong.mp3

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
lawyers agree to work on the cases... there would be less cases if there were less lawyers or lawyers that chose not to work on the cases

UAalum72
June 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
No, but lawyers do make the laws these days to where there is no real sanity check. There was a reason the original federal government banned barred lawyers from serving as an elected official.

But this isn't a matter of law. The schools own the copyright to the song and no law says they can't grant you permission to use it. Lawyers are only carrying out policy. Blame the suits.

Lawyers are hired guns, I was only paraphrasing 'guns don't kill people..'

gophoenix
June 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
But this isn't a matter of law. The schools own the copyright to the song and no law says they can't grant you permission to use it. Lawyers are only carrying out policy. Blame the suits.

Lawyers are hired guns, I was only paraphrasing 'guns don't kill people..'

Copyright is law and originally this law was instigated by lawyers that were elected officials. One could make the case now that lawyers are making laws that further perpetuate the need for more lawyers.

Most of these tunes are public domain songs because of the age of them and because they predate copyright law, period. Could you imagine if Tiger Rag, Our Director, The Washington & Lee Swing, etc were copyrighted and these schools had lawyers go after them for reproduction of them too?

Which is my ultimate problem. Public domain tunes, given in an environment that is not explicitly copyrighted (ie I find nothing that on my ticket that says I can't reproduce something from a game) should allow me to reproduce for non-profit circumstances without worry.

RadMann
June 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Copyright is law and originally this law was instigated by lawyers that were elected officials. One could make the case now that lawyers are making laws that further perpetuate the need for more lawyers.

Most of these tunes are public domain songs because of the age of them and because they predate copyright law, period. Could you imagine if Tiger Rag, Our Director, The Washington & Lee Swing, etc were copyrighted and these schools had lawyers go after them for reproduction of them too?

Which is my ultimate problem. Public domain tunes, given in an environment that is not explicitly copyrighted (ie I find nothing that on my ticket that says I can't reproduce something from a game) should allow me to reproduce for non-profit circumstances without worry.

Agreed. Many of our laws are enacted by legislatures that have far too many lawyers amongst the ranks. They make more laws to keep their kind busy.

UAalum72
June 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Copyright was a part of the original US Constitution in 1787 and existed in English law long before that. Wikipedia says several versions of 'Tiger Rag' were copyrighted (first recorded 1917). 'public domain' just means that a work has been around longer than a copyright can be enforced (50 years?).

If it's 'the lawyers' fault' why are only fifty schools threatening to sue? Don't the other seventy schools have access to lawyers too?

ngineer
June 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Agreed. Many of our laws are enacted by legislatures that have far too many lawyers amongst the ranks. They make more laws to keep their kind busy.

Get your facts straight before making blanket allegations. For example, in Pennsylvania, lawyers are a small minority of the Legislature....You guys have your targets all wrong.... Who do you think was the primary impetus behind the creation of this country and it's Constitution? Lawyers represent people and laws that are passed are because of the majority interests. Copyrights have existed for hundreds of years. If someone wants to protect their property, who are we to say they shouldn't be compensated for their property and creation? Talk about a communistic philosophy...If it's out there I can use it; it's mine....xsmhx

Justice, Liberty, Freedom................Without Lawyers, they're Just Words