PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook and the Big South... Why???

Hate the CAA
June 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have to tell you that I think it hillarious that Stony Brook joined the Big South... There whole rationale was to join a conference that was scholarship and had the potential for playoffs...

Well the NEC is now eligible for the playoffs the same year the Big South and the conference is now going to be up to 40 schollies...

Really foolish move by their AD...

Seahawks Fan
June 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I have to agree. There are no natural rivalries for Stony Brook in the Big South. What will that do for attendance? IMO they should have stayed put.

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
We are a counter team going into this season and will have 63 scholarship players in 2009. Even if the NEC goes to 40 which is quite possible Stonybrook is still ahead of the game. As for attendance I dont think that will be problem. Which is more exciting SHU at Stonybrook or Coastal Carolina at Stonybrook. We also have good non conference home games coming up including Colgate and Elon and in 2009 we get Brown at home and I think Northeastern. For a rivalry just mention Hofstra and that draws a crowd. The Hofstra at Stonybrook lacrosse game this year drew 5733 on a Tuesday night! We will be fine -especially if the 40 scholarship rule doesnt pass.

danefan
June 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I've said it before, I think it was a bit rushed.

But SB has the financial backing of the NYS legislature. They will have no financial problems with the increased travel, etc.

I don't think it was ever about the AQ. It was about wanting a full scholarship program and fast. The AD didn't want to wait for the NEC and the Big South came calling. Marriage of convenience - yes. Jury is out whether it was a good move or not.

Albany had the same opportunity and turned it down with the hope that the NEC will continue to increase scholarships or the CAA will either come calling or implode. We shall see, but I wish SBU all the best in the Big South. It sure would be nice to have an opening round Albany-Stony Brook playoff game in 2010. And the odds of that happening are pretty darn good.

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've said it before, I think it was a bit rushed.

But SB has the financial backing of the NYS legislature. They will have no financial problems with the increased travel, etc.

I don't think it was ever about the AQ. It was about wanting a full scholarship program and fast. The AD didn't want to wait for the NEC and the Big South came calling. Marriage of convenience - yes. Jury is out whether it was a good move or not.

Albany had the same opportunity and turned it down with the hope that the NEC will continue to increase scholarships or the CAA will either come calling or implode. We shall see, but I wish SBU all the best in the Big South. It sure would be nice to have an opening round Albany-Stony Brook playoff game in 2010. And the odds of that happening are pretty darn good.

Love to see it! I think people are going to be surprised when Stonybrook takes to the field this year.

danefan
June 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Love to see it! I think people are going to be surprised when Stonybrook takes to the field this year.

Unfortunately I wouldn't doubt that it is also likely to be the next matchup between us. That would draw a solid 15,000 I think.

It will definitely be on Long Island and don't worry about capacity. You guys will probably have your fourth state-funded expansion done by then.xwhistlex xwhistlex xcoolx

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Coach Ford against his former fullback in a playoff game . LI Newsday might be kind to both teams that week. The funding is the crazy part-but I still want to see game in that stadium you want build.xnodx

Syntax Error
June 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It was about wanting a full scholarship program and fast. The AD didn't want to wait for the NECI agree, SBU went full scholly while the other NEC teams stayed limited.

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Why does this not make sense?

SB can get the pay days from being a counter.

SB can offer full allotment and actually have a realistic shot at a Div I national title while the NEC, until they get to that mark, will never be a consistent threat.

Sly Fox
June 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM
And they only have to make three roadies down south every year. Its not that inconvenient.

While it truly is a marriage of convenience, it does have serve real purposes. And to pretend like everyone expected the playoff expansion to occur this quickly is rather lame. SB made the decision based on the facts at the moment and I doubt they have any misgivings right now. I know we Big South folks are looking forward to them joining the fray.

Pageoner
June 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
SB still needs to step their program up

your last trip to durham was a 62-7 blow out, and we could have hung up over a hundred if Santos didn't get pulled before halftime....

YoUDeeMan
June 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I have to tell you that I think it hillarious that Stony Brook joined the Big South... There whole rationale was to join a conference that was scholarship and had the potential for playoffs...

Well the NEC is now eligible for the playoffs the same year the Big South and the conference is now going to be up to 40 schollies...

Really foolish move by their AD...

Just be glad they didn't join the CAA.

Cobblestone
June 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm sure Citdog loves the fact that a team from the northeast is in the Big South. xrolleyesx

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm sure Citdog loves the fact that a team from the northeast is in the Big South. xrolleyesx

Not only the Northeast.....but LONG ISLAND! xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm sure he'll love it even more when SBU wins the Big South. xnodx xnodx

Thumper250
June 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I don't think SB will be on the bus. Getting some frequent flyer miles though. I've been told they're flying to their southern opponents this season. All the spots have a major airport within 40-45 miles.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Is sbu a private school?

No. SBU is a SUNY school, but they have a sugar daddy who is the Head of the NYS higher education committee. Basically, they get whatever they want.

Dane96
June 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I refrain from commentary because my anger needs to be directed to the NYS Govt.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Does Albany get some of that sugar?

$0.
We do however get to read the press releases SBU puts out about their stadium expansions while we are still trying to build ours.
xbawlingx

Just a disclaimer: I don't blame SBU for it. They've worked it with the legislature and our admins have apparently failed.

jessesd
June 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM

UAlbany didn't get any love from the Spitzer admin and some may say the same about UBuffalo!!! Somehow they had their sights pointed down South with Stoney Brook and Binghamton .... The jury sill out in the current Admin, but they may be a little blindxnodx xnodx to some issues!!

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
UAlbany didn't get any love from the Spitzer admin and some may say the same about UBuffalo!!! Somehow they had their sights pointed down South with Stoney Brook and Binghamton .... The jury sill out in the current Admin, but they may be a little blindxnodx xnodx to some issues!!

ewww..... low blow.xrotatehx

Dane96
June 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
And also mistaken: Love went to BUFFALO and STONY BROOK...not Albany and Binghamton.

You got the Bing and Buff confused.

OL FU
June 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
And also mistaken: Love went to BUFFALO and STONY BROOK...not Albany and Binghamton.

You got the Bing and Buff confused.

Not me, one was a singer and the other a vampire slayerxthumbsupx

mainejeff
June 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Should have been the other way around.

gophoenix
June 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Here's an idea. Instead of making the taxpayers build your entertainment. Why not have the school, oh I don't know, raise the money from alumni or corporations? You know, the way tons of other schools do it.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Here's an idea. Instead of making the taxpayers build your entertainment. Why not have the school, oh I don't know, raise the money from alumni or corporations? You know, the way tons of other schools do it.

If that's the policy - then fine. But apply it to all schools.

Don't pick and choose which school you are going to fund and which you aren't based solely on political power.

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Did I miss something? Why would a Citadel fan care so much about that? The Citadel is SoCon, not Big South.

I do find it odd that Stony Brook's in the Big Southxeyebrowx . Geographically, the CAA or NEC would obviously make more sense, but I now understand why they're there.

Thanks to y'all who helped clear it up for me! (Sorry, as a displaced Carolina guy now in the Midwest, I've gotta use any chance I can to bust out my southern lingo! xsmiley_wix )

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Did I miss something? Why would a Citadel fan care so much about that? The Citadel is SoCon, not Big South.

I do find it odd that Stony Brook's in the Big Southxeyebrowx . Geographically, the CAA or NEC would obviously make more sense, but I now understand why they're there.

Thanks to y'all who helped clear it up for me! (Sorry, as a displaced Carolina guy now in the Midwest, I've gotta use any chance I can to bust out my southern lingo! xsmiley_wix )
Because Citdog hasn't gotten the memo that the Civil War is over.

Well he calls it something else (War of Northern Aggression or something).

Do a quick search for Citdog in the threads. You'll see.

TheValleyRaider
June 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM

You're new around here, aren't you? ;)

Larryl9797
June 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Albany fights for scraps just like CCSU xsmhx ... I feel real bad that Albany expansion died on the table. you guys deserve it.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Albany fights for scraps just like CCSU xsmhx ... I feel real bad that Albany expansion died on the table. you guys deserve it.

Welcome to the board Larryl. Good to have another NEC fan around here.xthumbsupx

Larryl9797
June 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
thx :)

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM

I can definitely agree with you on that, my fellow SoCon fan. State tax dollars should go towards universities' research, faculty, academic/residential/administrative buildings, etc., but not towards athletics or other entertainment. App State's facility enhancements are happening thanks to donors, not taxpayers. THAT should be the same for Elon, SB, and any other university.

I'll take it a step further: how disturbing is it when cities/counties are faced with the choice of building half-billion dollar stadiums or losing their professional franchise. Here in Indiana, where our capital city's 25-year-old, $50 million loan for the RCA Dome is still not fully paid, we're about to tear it down to replace with $650 million Lucas Oil Stadiumxnonono2x . As exciting as that is, especially since it will bring the Super Bowl to Indiana in four years, it's a darn shame that taxpayers have to foot the bill.

Albany fans, I can understand why you'd be ticked about that. Why doesn't this "sugar daddy" heading the SUNY system start a private fundraising campaign for SB if it's that important to him? xconfusedx

TheValleyRaider
June 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Why doesn't this "sugar daddy" heading the SUNY system start a private fundraising campaign for SB if it's that important to him? xconfusedx

Why do it yourself if you'll get the state to pay for it xsmhx

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Albany fans, I can understand why you'd be ticked about that. Why doesn't this "sugar daddy" heading the SUNY system start a private fundraising campaign for SB if it's that important to him? xconfusedx

Because he doesn't have to. Legislature approves it every time.

Just to be clear he isn't getting athletic facility money for SBU instead of academic money. He is getting both. The SUNY system is the most f'ed up public education systems in the nation. There is no rhyme or reason, which makes it tough to stomach.

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
You're new around here, aren't you? ;)

Yeah, man, but I just read the post right before yours. Without reading through the threads, I think that post pretty much told me what I needed to know. Growing up in SC, I learned to respectfully disagree with many people with such viewpoints. Personally, I choose to view people from Indiana, New York, California, and everywhere in between as, most importantly, Americans, just like Carolina folks are.

Conferences that are grouped regionally seems to make most sense for rivalries, travel expenses, etc., but I can understand why SB joined the Big South.

Heck, on the positive side, maybe some rivalry can be generated among fans in from the other Big South schools to root against the "Yankee" school (so long as it's in a healthy, non-redneck style), and perhaps Stony Brook can feed off that by building an us-against-the-world approach in conference play. Hmmmm....

Larryl9797
June 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
In a perfect world, state money would be evenly divided amongst state universities and the difference would be made up by alumni with deep pockets. Thats just not the case. Here in CT, UCONN is the big dog, basically asking for everyting, and getting it. Leaving the remaining State univerisites jack squat.

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Because he doesn't have to. Legislature approves it every time.

Just to be clear he isn't getting athletic facility money for SBU instead of academic money. He is getting both. The SUNY system is the most f'ed up public education systems in the nation. There is no rhyme or reason, which makes it tough to stomach.

State money for academics is a good thing, but for athletics, I don't think it's right. What a shame.

I think App State might share some of the same frustration a lot of the SUNY schools have. According to http://www.appalachianfund.appstate.edu/reasons.html , the state legislature grants ASU the 15th-most funding out of 16 UNC schools, despite being the 6th largest (UNC, NCSU, ECU, UNC-C, UNC-G are larger). I don't know if that's as bad as the situation with the SUNY, but it seems screwed up.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The one other point of clarification is that state funds are not use in NY for athletic operating budgets. There is a law the forbids it.

Where the big $$ flows into SBU (and Buffalo) is for infrastructure, which is huge.

The major problem with the SUNY system: too many schools. 64 total with four university centers (Albany, SBU, Buffalo and Binghamton). Then you have community colleges and the CUNY (City University of NY) which both also get state funding.

CUNY is funded with almost equal money to SUNY. The budgets are bloated and unequally apportioned. The problem is that education has become the largest political arena in NYS. That's a bad thing IMO.

AppFan56
June 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
My kid was recruited by SB in junior year and they made him an offer (verbal). At that time the coach seemed very driven to do whatever was necessary to get them playoff eligible. He kind of gave us all the creeps though - in strong contrast to some of the other coaches we met. Of course we met some of the great FCS coaches out there (Jerry Moore, Tom Massella, Bob Ford to name a few). Of course we felt like our gut feelings were correct when they inexplicably pulled the offer with only a phone call to my son's coach and no call to my son or us. Things work out for the best though I guess - my son signed with Appalachian State and made his way into the 2-deep as a true freshman (he started at Michigan) and came home with a championship ring. Don't think it could happen but I'd love to see SB come to The Rock at some point before my son graduates.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
My kid was recruited by SB in junior year and they made him an offer (verbal). At that time the coach seemed very driven to do whatever was necessary to get them playoff eligible. He kind of gave us all the creeps though - in strong contrast to some of the other coaches we met. Of course we met some of the great FCS coaches out there (Jerry Moore, Tom Massella, Bob Ford to name a few). Of course we felt like our gut feelings were correct when they inexplicably pulled the offer with only a phone call to my son's coach and no call to my son or us. Things work out for the best though I guess - my son signed with Appalachian State and made his way into the 2-deep as a true freshman (he started at Michigan) and came home with a championship ring. Don't think it could happen but I'd love to see SB come to The Rock at some point before my son graduates.

I'd say that was a pretty good choicexthumbsupx

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
NO LONG ISLAND GUIDOS IN MY SOUTH!

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM

What took you so long?xlolx

AppFan56
June 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'd say that was a pretty good choicexthumbsupx

Thanks danefan. I'll tell you what - I can't say enough about how comfortable I was with the possibility of my son playing for Bob Ford. He was a true gentleman in every respect. The coaches at Albany were very straight up with us about everything to do with the program, their offer and their intentions. The whole recruiting thing was a learning process for us.

AppFan56
June 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Glad Jerry Moore doesn't think that way or we wouldn't have had the pleasure to come see my son (an Italian American from NJ) get some licks on your boys last November. Glad to say most folks in your charming city were quite cordial. I'll gladly buy you a beer next time I'm there to prove we're not all "Guidos" although I'll make no representations about Priore and his "crew".

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
[/SIZE]

First of all, it's not "your" south. I sure am glad no one has to answer in other aspects when it comes to what should and shouldn't come into the south. Were you angry when BMW opened the plant in upstate SC because you wanted, to paraphrase your words, "no german nazis in your south"?

Were you angry when Michelin made its North American headquarters in South Carolina back in the 80's because you want "no Frenchies in your south"?

Were you even angrier that this foreign investment has led to the International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville, consisting of Clemson's grad school program plus multiple NON-southern companies... and even non-American companies investing in the south? Do you wish that this part of "your south" was not thriving economically thanks to the investment from outsiders? Do you wish that instead the Upstate would have tried to stick it out in the failing textile industry, leaving the region with no major industry to drive the economy?

Does it anger you that Hyundai, a Korean company, has a plant in "your south" in Birmingham? Is it maddening that, in Tennessee, there is a Saturn plant in "your south," which is run by GM in Detroit, Michigan.

For that matter, do you even own a car that was built in the south by a southern-owned company? No, because there's no such thing.

Were you thrilled when the Naval Yard in Charleston closed down because you wanted "no DC Yankeees" running something in "your south" from the Pentagon?

If churches in New York offered aid to families of the victims from the tragic fire last year in Charleston, would you have rejected them because you want "NO LONG ISLAND GUIDOS IN MY SOUTH"?

Secondly, SB is in the Big South, not the SoCon; they don't affect your team, so why do you care? Are you afraid they're going to bring their cooties because they'll play games over at Charleston Southern. Make sure your cadets don't touch them. They're like lepersxrolleyesx .

I don't know if you made that post just in good fun. If so, maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing. But just think about it when you say those kinds of things. I understand the whole southern pride thing; it's nice to feel proud of where you're from and all. But it makes me embarassed, as a native South Carolinian, when people say things that make southerners look like close-minded, hateful, and unwelcoming.

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
First of all, it's not "your" south. I sure am glad no one has to answer in other aspects when it comes to what should and shouldn't come into the south. Were you angry when BMW opened the plant in upstate SC because you wanted, to paraphrase your words, "no german nazis in your south"?

Were you angry when Michelin made its North American headquarters in South Carolina back in the 80's because you want "no Frenchies in your south"?

Were you even angrier that this foreign investment has led to the International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville, consisting of Clemson's grad school program plus multiple NON-southern companies... and even non-American companies investing in the south? Do you wish that this part of "your south" was not thriving economically thanks to the investment from outsiders? Do you wish that instead the Upstate would have tried to stick it out in the failing textile industry, leaving the region with no major industry to drive the economy?

Does it anger you that Hyundai, a Korean company, has a plant in "your south" in Birmingham? Is it maddening that, in Tennessee, there is a Saturn plant in "your south," which is run by GM in Detroit, Michigan.

For that matter, do you even own a car that was built in the south by a southern-owned company? No, because there's no such thing.

Were you thrilled when the Naval Yard in Charleston closed down because you wanted "no DC Yankeees" running something in "your south" from the Pentagon?

If churches in New York offered aid to families of the victims from the tragic fire last year in Charleston, would you have rejected them because you want "NO LONG ISLAND GUIDOS IN MY SOUTH"?

Secondly, SB is in the Big South, not the SoCon; they don't affect your team, so why do you care? Are you afraid they're going to bring their cooties because they'll play games over at Charleston Southern. Make sure your cadets don't touch them. They're like lepersxrolleyesx .

I don't know if you made that post just in good fun. If so, maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing. But just think about it when you say those kinds of things. I understand the whole southern pride thing; it's nice to feel proud of where you're from and all. But it makes me embarassed, as a native South Carolinian, when people say things that make southerners look like close-minded, hateful, and unwelcoming.

only one word for it ladies and gentlemen..........

SCALAWAGxsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

ask olfu how i feel about the Nazi's and their collabarators (the french) having factories in South Carolina

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Uh oh...

http://www.jumperlumps.com/elements/1/images/products/THUMBNAIL/699/hook-line-sinker.gif

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Are you also opposed to things like the Olympics, since it involves people from other countries?

Ya know, maybe what should be done in the south is kick out all those foreign companies investing in South Carolina. That would be good. On top of having the 49th best public school education in the country (trailing only SC's Confederate flag-waving friends in Mississippi), we can throw out the source of what has driven the state's economy for the past twenty years, thus leading to a crisis of unemployment. GENIUS!

South Carolina depended on textiles and tobacco to drive its economy for most of the 20th century. I don't know if you noticed, but the textile industry isn't going to work in States any more. This is sad, of course, because it means that some kid in Indonesia is doing it instead for 10 cents an hour, but South Carolina can't compete with that. So the replacement industry has come through foreign investment. Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston, thanks to these new economic forces, are now thriving in many areas. They've given us a better tax base. They've helped every single school in Greenville County get rebuilt over the past ten years. They've been a part of the taxes that helped replace those rickety old bridges over the Cooper River that were on the verge of falling in.

Oh, but they were from German and French companies. South Carolina would be better off struggling even more like Mississippi. Better yet, SC would be better off kicking out all non-southern companies, seceding from the union, making you king, where you can re-start the Confederacy, re-institute slavery, and plant cotton fields all over the state. You could have the whole state as your own little cult, or, uh, country.

Come to think of it, what is The Citadel doing as a member of the NCAA, which (Heaven forbid) includes schools that are not in the South. My gosh! They might get cooties from all those Yankees!

Do you have any response? I would love to hear what you have to say. You've got to have something better than just to cop out and call me a scalawag, which means nothing to me.

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
danefan, what's that mean?

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
danefan, what's that mean?

It means you took the bait, exactly what he wanted. xnodx

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Better yet, SC would be better off kicking out all non-southern companies, seceding from the union, making you king, where you can re-start the Confederacy, and plant cotton fields all over the state. You could have the whole State as your own little country.

Come to think of it, what is The Citadel doing as a member of the NCAA, which (Heaven forbid) includes schools that are not in the South. My gosh! They might get cooties from all those Yankees!

That's what I've been screaming for since BIRTH!

Someone had to say it!

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM

"DING! DING! DING! GUTTER TELL HIM WHAT HE'S WON!"

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Well, that's fine. I get pretty worked up over that stuff. I take a lot of pride in coming from the South. There's a lot of characteristics of the South that I'm proud to associate with: hospitality, charming accent, passion for football, progressive growth (as stimulated by the foreign investment I was talking about), and family. In particular, Greenville has become a huge draw for people from all over the country to make their homes. Its downtown is awesome. The growth has been everywhere. Aside from the huges headaches and environmental problems from the increased traffic, it's encouraging to see that the economy doing so well, especially now that I live in an area that is not doing quite so well.

The problem I have is when a few people portray the image of the South as opposed to outsiders, unwelcoming, etc. That has hurt the state many times. In fact, the Colonial Center in Columbia was built in part to draw NCAA tournament games, but the NCAA refuses to have postseason games because our stubborn state won't remove the Confederate flag from the front of the statehouse.

It's tragic, and it frustrates me. Backwards mindedness holds South Carolina back. It's why the state has been next-to-last in education for almost as long as I've been alive.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Well, that's fine. I get pretty worked up over that stuff. I take a lot of pride in coming from the South. There's a lot of characteristics of the South that I'm proud to associate with: hospitality, charming accent, passion for football, progressive growth (as stimulated by the foreign investment I was talking about), and family. In particular, Greenville has become a huge draw for people from all over the country to make their homes. Its downtown is awesome. The growth has been everywhere. Aside from the huges headaches and environmental problems from the increased traffic, it's encouraging to see that the economy doing so well, especially now that I live in an area that is not doing quite so well.

The problem I have is when a few people portray the image of the South as opposed to outsiders, unwelcoming, etc. That has hurt the state many times. In fact, the Colonial Center in Columbia was built in part to draw NCAA tournament games, but the NCAA refuses to have postseason games because our stubborn state won't remove the Confederate flag from the front of the statehouse.

It's tragic, and it frustrates me. Backwards mindedness holds South Carolina back. It's why the state has been next-to-last in education for almost as long as I've been alive.

You have apparently struck a chord with Citdog:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42238

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well, that's fine. I get pretty worked up over that stuff. I take a lot of pride in coming from the South. There's a lot of characteristics of the South that I'm proud to associate with: hospitality, charming accent, passion for football, progressive growth (as stimulated by the foreign investment I was talking about), and family. In particular, Greenville has become a huge draw for people from all over the country to make their homes. It's downtown is awesome. The growth has been everywhere. Aside from the huges headaches and environmental problems from the increased traffic, it's encouraging to see that it's doing so well.

you're proud of the South but excoriate the memory of our Patriot Dead from the War that was forced upon us by the vile Yankee running dog imperialism? Remove the Flag of the Confederacy from the DAMN CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS MONUMENT on the Statehouse grounds? WHY? WHERE THE HELL ELSE SHOULD IT BE.....THE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL?
THE NCAA AND THEIR ALLIES ATTEMPTED TO MAKE ECONOMIC WARFARE ON THIS GLORIOUS LITTLE STATE AND WE, JUST LIKE IN 1860, DIDN'T FLINCH A FREAKING INCH! THAT'S WHAT YOU, A DAMN SCALAWAG SOB, SHOULD BE PROUD OF, THAT YOU COME FROM A PEOPLE WHO WOULD RATHER FORFEIT THEIR LIVES THAN LIVE ONE MOMENT IN TYRANNY!

ACCORDING TO YOU WE SOUTHERNERS SHOULD JUST KEEP TALKING..CAUSE WE "SPEAK SO WELL" AND CONTINUE TO BE TREATED IN THIS "VOLUNTARY UNION" HELD TOGETHER WITH A BAYONET AND DRENCHED IN THE BLOOD OF OUR BRAVE ANCESTORS FROM BOTH AMERICAN REVOLUTIONS! I FOR ONE WILL NEVER SUBMIT! I WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE FOR THE INDEPENDENCE OF MY PEOPLE UNTIL THE DAY I AM BURIED IN THE RICH LOWCOUNTRY SOIL FROM WHICH THAT NOBLE BREED OF MAN KNOWN AS THE LOWCOUNTRY GENTLEMAN HAS SPRUNG!

SPEAKING OF THE OLYMPICS.....DURING THE OPENING CEREMONY WHEN THE PARADE OF NATIONS IS GOING ON AND I SEE ALL THE DIFFERENT PEOPLES THAT HAVE THEIR OWN COUNTRIES IT MAKES ME INCREDIBLY SAD THAT THE BRAVE SOUTHERN PEOPLE WERE DENIED THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE AMONGST THE NATIONS OF THIS EARTH!

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
You have apparently struck a chord with Citdog:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42238

Okay... xrolleyesx

am i supposed to try and build a following here?

I agree as much as anyone that SB doesn't make geographical sense in the Big South, but it does make sense for their goals: to offer 63 scholarships. Maybe they'll be in a more logical conference in a few years; for now, they may as well do their best to promote rivalries for their fans in a North vs. South thing, just to keep interest up.

I don't know about anybody else, but I joined AGS simply to have the chance to talk about App State football and FCS in general. I'm not trying to accumulate points or any nonsense like that. What prize would you get for gaining points, anyway? Not one red penny.

So far, I haven't even heard a defense of citdog's point of view, just name-calling.

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Okay... xrolleyesx

am i supposed to try and build a following here?

I agree as much as anyone that SB doesn't make geographical sense in the Big South, but it does make sense for their goals: to offer 63 scholarships. Maybe they'll be in a more logical conference in a few years; for now, they may as well do their best to promote rivalries for their fans in a North vs. South thing, just to keep interest up.

I don't know about anybody else, but I joined AGS simply to have the chance to talk about App State football and FCS in general. I'm not trying to accumulate points or any nonsense like that. What prize would you get for gaining points, anyway? Not one red penny.

So far, I haven't even heard a defense of citdog's point of view, just name-calling.

SEE ABOVE SCALAWAG!

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
you're proud of the South but excoriate the memory of our Patriot Dead from the War that was forced upon us by the vile Yankee running dog imperialism? Remove the Flag of the Confederacy from the DAMN CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS MONUMENT on the Statehouse grounds? WHY? WHERE THE HELL ELSE SHOULD IT BE.....THE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL?
THE NCAA AND THEIR ALLIES ATTEMPTED TO MAKE ECONOMIC WARFARE ON THIS GLORIOUS LITTLE STATE AND WE, JUST LIKE IN 1860, DIDN'T FLINCH A FREAKING INCH! THAT'S WHAT YOU, A DAMN SCALAWAG SOB, SHOULD BE PROUD OF, THAT YOU COME FROM A PEOPLE WHO WOULD RATHER FORFEIT THEIR LIVES THAN LIVE ONE MOMENT IN TYRANNY!

ACCORDING TO YOU WE SOUTHERNERS SHOULD JUST KEEP TALKING..CAUSE WE "SPEAK SO WELL" AND CONTINUE TO BE TREATED IN THIS "VOLUNTARY UNION" HELD TOGETHER WITH A BAYONET AND DRENCHED IN THE BLOOD OF OUR BRAVE ANCESTORS FROM BOTH AMERICAN REVOLUTIONS! I FOR ONE WILL NEVER SUBMIT! I WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE FOR THE INDEPENDENCE OF MY PEOPLE UNTIL THE DAY I AM BURIED IN THE RICH LOWCOUNTRY SOIL FROM WHICH THAT NOBLE BREED OF MAN KNOWN AS THE LOWCOUNTRY GENTLEMAN HAS SPRUNG!

SPEAKING OF THE OLYMPICS.....DURING THE OPENING CEREMONY WHEN THE PARADE OF NATIONS IS GOING ON AND I SEE ALL THE DIFFERENT PEOPLES THAT HAVE THEIR OWN COUNTRIES IT MAKES ME INCREDIBLY SAD THAT THE BRAVE SOUTHERN PEOPLE WERE DENIED THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE AMONGST THE NATIONS OF THIS EARTH!

Okay, Captain All-Caps,

Calm down.

I never said I had a problem with the existence of the Confederate Soldiers monument. Those soldiers deserve their rightful honor. They died defending their homes, their families, and other troops in their batallion. For four years, the Union army invaded the South, against their wills, destroying their lives and their way of life. Many Confederates were horrified as invading union armies needlessly burnt down their homes and killed or raped their wives. What Sherman did was downright awful. Let me perfectly clear here: those soldiers deserve to be honored and they're worthy of their memorial.

Come to think of it, there's another group of people significant to South Carolina's history that had everything done to them against their wills, although it last a lot longer than four years: the slaves. By 1861, South Carolina was an enormously wealthy state built on the free, forced labor of thousands of slaves. It was the northern states, back then, who were the poorest states. Just as the Confederates who suffered such unfathomable treatment from the North, thousands of slaves were horrified as they were beaten and had their families torn apart when one planter sold a slave to another. Many died from in the summer heat or from beatings by abusive owners.

Yet where is their memorial? Did they work and die in vain? Why shouldn't these slaves be memorialized prominently like the Confederate soldiers?

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Okay, Captain All-Caps,

Calm down.

I never said I had a problem with the existence of the Confederate Soldiers monument. Those soldiers deserve their rightful honor. They died defending their homes, their families, and other troops in their batallion. For four years, the Union army invaded the South, against their wills, destroying their lives and their way of life. Many Confederates were horrified as invading union armies needlessly burnt down their homes and killed or raped their wives. What Sherman did was downright awful. Let me perfectly clear here: those soldiers deserve to be honored and they're worthy of their memorial.

Come to think of it, there's another group of people significant to South Carolina's history that had everything done to them against their wills, although it last a lot longer than four years: the slaves. By 1861, South Carolina was an enormously wealthy state built on the free, forced labor of thousands of slaves. It was the northern states, back then, who were the poorest states. Just as the Confederates who suffered such unfathomable treatment from the North, thousands of slaves were horrified as they were beaten and had their families torn apart when one planter sold a slave to another. Many died from in the summer heat or from beatings by abusive owners.

Yet where is their memorial? Did they work and die in vain? Why shouldn't these slaves be memorialized prominently like the Confederate soldiers?

now your true colors show! you, like many, many, Sons of the South have allowed the invader to "tell you your history" Northern States the poorest? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx shows what you know and the value of an app state degree. the Southern States paid for about 3\4 ths of the government through the tariffs that were placed into effect by the NORTHERN MAJORITY to protect their mercantile fleet and manufacturing base. if a true account were made and an honorable splitting of the services taken place in 1860 the SOUTH SHOULD HAVE RECIEVED MOST OF THE FEDERAL NAVY! you would know this if you weren't a complete tool who opened his mouth about a subject that he knows just enough about to be DANGEROUS.

FYI IGNORANT ONE........ THERE IS A CIVIL RIGHTS MONUMENT ON THE STATE HOUSE GROUNDS....THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND IN ANY OF THE STATES. READ A FREAKING BOOK FROM TIME TO TIME SCHLEPROCK!

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
now your true colors show! you, like many, many, Sons of the South have allowed the invader to "tell you your history" Northern States the poorest? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx shows what you know and the value of an app state degree. the Southern States paid for about 3\4 ths of the government through the tariffs that were placed into effect by the NORTHERN MAJORITY to protect their mercantile fleet and manufacturing base. if a true account were made and an honorable splitting of the services taken place in 1860 the SOUTH SHOULD HAVE RECIEVED MOST OF THE FEDERAL NAVY! you would know this if you weren't a complete tool who opened his mouth about a subject that he knows just enough about to be DANGEROUS.

That's great information. Feel free to teach more Civil War history. I'm not opposed to learning new stuff. Oh, and it's real sweet of you to call me names and everything and hurl the other insultsxlolx , but you still didn't answer my question:

Where is the memorial to the slaves in South Carolina's history? Did they work and die in vain? Why are these slaves not worthy of being memorialized prominently like the Confederate soldiers?

Please offer an answer. Hurling insults and bad-mouthing the north makes me wonder if you have one.

Thanks.

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
A list of the kind and clean-mouthed things citdog has had to say on this forum:

"FYI IGNORANT ONE"

"READ A FREAKING BOOK FROM TIME TO TIME SCHLEPROCK!"

"you would know this if you weren't a complete tool"

"WHERE THE HELL ELSE SHOULD IT BE"

"THAT'S WHAT YOU, A DAMN SCALAWAG SOB"

"SEE ABOVE SCALAWAG!"

"SCALAWAG"

Name-calling. Cursing. Way to capture the spirit of anygivensaturday!

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
A list of the kind and clean-mouthed things citdog has had to say on this forum:

"FYI IGNORANT ONE"

"SEE ABOVE SCALAWAG!"

"SCALAWAG"

Name-calling. Cursing. Way to capture the spirit of anygivensaturday!xnonono2x

Seawolf97
June 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
And they only have to make three roadies down south every year. Its not that inconvenient.

While it truly is a marriage of convenience, it does have serve real purposes. And to pretend like everyone expected the playoff expansion to occur this quickly is rather lame. SB made the decision based on the facts at the moment and I doubt they have any misgivings right now. I know we Big South folks are looking forward to them joining the fray.

Well said . I think we will more than hold our own.

SideLine Shooter
June 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM

"FYI IGNORANT ONE"

"SEE ABOVE SCALAWAG!"

"SCALAWAG"

Nobody does it better!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
You can't cure stupid. xrotatehx

Agreed. Why didn't I realized that earlier?xoopsx

g-webb1994
June 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'm glad to see Stony Brook in the Big South, it adds some intrigue. Add in our old SAC rival Presbyterian, and things are shaping up nicely.:)

kirkblitz
June 6th, 2008, 01:20 AM

FYI IGNORANT ONE........ THERE IS A CIVIL RIGHTS MONUMENT ON THE STATE HOUSE GROUNDS....THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND IN ANY OF THE STATES. READ A FREAKING BOOK FROM TIME TO TIME SCHLEPROCK!

goin with the dog here, i hate that civil rights monument on the state house ground more then i hate the lincoln statue in Richmond xmadx xmadx xmadx

citdog
June 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM

"FYI IGNORANT ONE"

"SEE ABOVE SCALAWAG!"

"SCALAWAG"

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THE SPIRIT OF AGS? YOUR LESS THAN ONE MONTH MEMBERSHIP? RACK IT IN AGS KNOB. DEFEATED IN THE VERBAL JOUST WHICH YOU INSTIGATED.....NOW YOU WHINE......TYPICAL SMACK BEHAVIOR.

OL FU
June 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM
He calls me a scalawag too.xrolleyesx

But that's because I am short and Irishxrotatehx xwhistlex

http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/comics03/com1188.jpg

I wonder why Porky has my son’s name tattooed on his bellyxeyebrowx

citdog
June 6th, 2008, 07:51 AM
He calls me a scalawag too.xrolleyesx

But that's because I am short and Irishxrotatehx xwhistlex

http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/comics03/com1188.jpg

I wonder why Porky has my son’s name tattooed on his bellyxeyebrowx

OFU isn't quite as much of a scalawag as he lets on....

Cobblestone
June 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I guess now that you two have met, you see what I mean.

citdog
June 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I guess now that you two have met, you see what I mean.

stone you love me and you know it! now stand at attention when I lower myself to speak to you!xlolx

CCU97
June 6th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I actually like the fact that SB has joined the Big South....Coastal has lots of students from Long Island and it gives them a chance to see a team they grew up with and even travel home for a weekend.

As for the Civil Rights Monument.....the Civil Rights movement is not the same as slavery...it had to do with equal right and not freedom...people had freedom for years at that point....The end of slavery should have brought equal rights and it never did...thus the civil rights movement was born out of the thought that two men of different color should be treated as equals. A monument toward those countless numbers who died during slavery would be a great memorial to them...a civil rights monument doesn't do a thing to recognize those who gave their lives in during that time....it is meant for a group almost a century later....

citdog
June 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I actually like the fact that SB has joined the Big South....Coastal has lots of students from Long Island and it gives them a chance to see a team they grew up with and even travel home for a weekend.

As for the Civil Rights Monument.....the Civil Rights movement is not the same as slavery...it had to do with equal right and not freedom...people had freedom for years at that point....The end of slavery should have brought equal rights and it never did...thus the civil rights movement was born out of the thought that two men of different color should be treated as equals. A monument toward those countless numbers who died during slavery would be a great memorial to them...a civil rights monument doesn't do a thing to recognize those who gave their lives in during that time....it is meant for a group almost a century later....

see PBS this evening as "traces of the trade" airs... it's about the Northern Cupability for the trade in servants.

CCU97
June 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Citdog...I am the first to say the North was just as guilty as we were in the South when it comes to slavery....just saying that Civil Rights and slavery were two different issues and a monument for one doesn't mean the recognition of the other...

DSUrocks07
June 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thread highjackers!!!!!!

If SB wants to be in the Big South conference more power to them. Schools are in certain conferences that reflects there goals of what they strive for as an institution. SB wants to win a NC and they probably feel that they would do better being in the Big South rather than the NEC (limited schollys).

CCU97
June 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Thread highjackers!!!!!!

If SB wants to be in the Big South conference more power to them. Schools are in certain conferences that reflects there goals of what they strive for as an institution. SB wants to win a NC and they probably feel that they would do better being in the Big South rather than the NEC (limited schollys).

To be honest I posted originally on the topic and was responding to citdog...no highjacking intended....

As I stated then....I like the idea of SB joining the Big South...although the teams are in the South many of their students come from the northeast.

DSUrocks07
June 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
To be honest I posted originally on the topic and was responding to citdog...no highjacking intended....

As I stated then....I like the idea of SB joining the Big South...although the teams are in the South many of their students come from the northeast.

I know...it was more tongue-in-cheek than anything xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
June 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
stone you love me and you know it! now stand at attention when I lower myself to speak to you!xlolx

No problem SIR. But you'll have to wait until I am finished doing your job for you, since it is the senior NCO Corps who actually runs the Army.

SIR!

CRAZY_DANE
June 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
The Big South makes a lot of sense for Stony Brook.

First, it allows them to play FBS schools as counters, which gets them a pay day and builds excitement. They already have some exciting games lined up: Army and Rutgers.

Second, it tells recruits and the LI community they are committed to full FCS football and maybe one day FBS football. Nonetheless; they are committed to competing at the top tier.

Third, they build name recognition and as was said the travel isn't that bad. I personally like the fact that this country's largest state university now has representation in three football conferences (NEC, BS and MAC)

Personally, I wish the "College of the Empire State" would make the jump. Apparently, New York's first state institution to offer the bachelor's degree and New York's Capitol University is not worthy of the same funding. Only in New York xsmhx

By the way Citdog, it may be your South but it's my Atlanta!

Tealblood
June 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The Big South makes a lot of sense for Stony Brook.

First, it allows them to play FBS schools as counters, which gets them a pay day and builds excitement. They already have some exciting games lined up: Army and Rutgers.

Second, it tells recruits and the LI community they are committed to full FCS football and maybe one day FBS football. Nonetheless; they are committed to competing at the top tier.

Third, they build name recognition and as was said the travel isn't that bad. I personally like the fact that this country's largest state university now has representation in three football conferences (NEC, BS and MAC)

Personally, I wish the "College of the Empire State" would make the jump. Apparently, New York's first state institution to offer the bachelor's degree and New York's Capitol University is not worthy of the same funding. Only in New York xsmhx

To quote Lewis Grizzard " We got more yankees in Atlanta than when Sherman came thru"

citdog
June 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM

and you're welcome to it. yankee scum!

CRAZY_DANE
June 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
There is only 1 college flag flying in Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward between MLK's library and Carter's library. Here's a hint. Its the oldest campus in America's largest state university. It's not UGA.

SUNY-ALBANY
on the rise

IndianaAppMan
June 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
and you're welcome to it. yankee scum!

So anyone who's not from the south is scum, huh? Anyone who doesn't think like you, wave the Confederate flag like you, or hate foreigneers like you is scum, is that right?

I am married to a woman whose mother is full-blooded Filipino and whose father is white enough to make snow look dark. Please tell me, would you call my wife and I, as well as her parents, "scum" because, Heaven forbid, we are "mixing the races"? Even worse, my wife's grandparents, God rest their souls, weren't even born in the U.S., much less in the south. Never mind that her grandfather fought for the U.S. in WWII and worked in the army for decades at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville. Oh, but he wasn't not a pure-breed southerner, right? Get his foreign scum out of here, right?xrolleyesx

That line of thinking may very well not be the way you think, but when you immediately call people you've never even met a "tool," or when you name anyone who doesn't agree with absolutely everything you say a "scalawag," you come across as close-minded, bigoted, and potentially racist. I don't know you, and I'm don't sink to the level of calling people names like a five-year-old when do before his momma teaches him better. Please correct me if my suggestions are not you are intending to imply, and let's see if you can manage to do it without going off on yet another tangent about the Civil War.

To me, it's not about the Civil War; after all, any "Yankee" on this forum had no more to do with their ancestors' "war of northern aggression" 147 years ago than today's southerners' had to do with their ancestors' history of cruelty towards African-Americans. I'm trying to understand why you are so belligerent against any of TODAY's northerners or anyone who expresses an opinion different from yours. Help me out...

IndianaAppMan
June 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
goin with the dog here, i hate that civil rights monument on the state house ground xmadx xmadx xmadx

Yeah, you gotta hate it when anyone pays homage to the masses of people who were forced into labor, then denied their right to vote for a hundred years (unless they were willing to have their house burned down by the KKK). They deserve no honor, no respect. But because the Confederate soldiers were white, they should be honored. xrolleyesx

By the way, I can understand the objection to a Lincoln statue in Richmond, from a southern heritage perspective of him as an aggressor; however, the Civil Rights monumen? txnonono2x

citdog
June 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
So anyone who's not from the south is scum, huh? Anyone who doesn't think like you, wave the Confederate flag like you, or hate foreigneers like you is scum, is that right?

I am married to a woman whose mother is full-blooded Filipino and whose father is white enough to make snow look dark. Please tell me, would you call my wife and I, as well as her parents, "scum" because, Heaven forbid, we are "mixing the races"? Even worse, my wife's grandparents, God rest their souls, weren't even born in the U.S., much less in the south. Never mind that her grandfather fought for the U.S. in WWII and worked in the army for decades at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville. Oh, but he wasn't not a pure-breed southerner, right? Get his foreign scum out of here, right?xrolleyesx

That line of thinking may very well not be the way you think, but when you immediately call people you've never even met a "tool," or when you name anyone who doesn't agree with absolutely everything you say a "scalawag," you come across as close-minded, bigoted, and potentially racist. I don't know you, and I'm don't sink to the level of calling people names like a five-year-old when do before his momma teaches him better. Please correct me if my suggestions are not you are intending to imply, and let's see if you can manage to do it without going off on yet another tangent about the Civil War.

To me, it's not about the Civil War; after all, any "Yankee" on this forum had no more to do with their ancestors' "war of northern aggression" 147 years ago than today's southerners' had to do with their ancestors' history of cruelty towards African-Americans. I'm trying to understand why you are so belligerent against any of TODAY's northerners or anyone who expresses an opinion different from yours. Help me out...

CORRECT.

CORRECT

CORRECT....SORRY YOU THINK SO

SEEING AS HOW YOU FAILED TO RESPOND TO WHAT WAS POSTED BACK TO YOU BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

I HATE YANKEES.....ALL OF THEM (EXCEPTING CLEETS AND T-MAN 67)

HOPE THAT CLEARS IT UP FOR YOU.....

TOODLES,

CIT

IndianaAppMan
June 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
citdog, Let's move this over to the Lounge... we've gotten way too off topic... how about the post about the AGS knobs?

dbackjon
June 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I HATE YANKEES.....ALL OF THEM (EXCEPTING CLEETS AND T-MAN 67)

TOODLES,

CIT

So all of those "I love you" PM's you've been sending me were all BS??? xbawlingx xbawlingx

downbythebeach
June 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM
This move is all about money.
If the NCAA did not make the counter rule a few years ago, I don't believe they would have left the NEC.

Rightfully so, we were holding them back though and with the new stadium I cannot blame them, they are no longer the SBU of the old, and when oppurtunity knocks.........

kirkblitz
June 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, you gotta hate it when anyone pays homage to the masses of people who were forced into labor, then denied their right to vote for a hundred years (unless they were willing to have their house burned down by the KKK). They deserve no honor, no respect. But because the Confederate soldiers were white, they should be honored. xrolleyesx

By the way, I can understand the objection to a Lincoln statue in Richmond, from a southern heritage perspective of him as an aggressor; however, the Civil Rights monumen? txnonono2x

im sorry but you seem to miss the huge fact that there were black confederate soldiers. I am not sure why your bringing up race here except to divert attention away from the conversation.

I think you seem to ignore the fact that slaves willingly fought for the south in many instances because they also considered it their homes. Im sure they loved haveing everything they had burned and then being kicked out on their own to beg just like their former "owners" or "masters" did.

Free blacks enlisted whole entire companys and paid for them theirselves to fight for the south. Confederate generals as earlier as 62 wanted slaves to be in the army on a mass scale.

Heres a fun link you can read, its only like an hours worth of text.

http://www.civilwarhistory.com/slavetrade/blacksoldiersCSA.htm

IndianaAppMan
June 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
im sorry but you seem to miss the huge fact that there were black confederate soldiers. I am not sure why your bringing up race here except to divert attention away from the conversation.

I think you seem to ignore the fact that slaves willingly fought for the south in many instances because they also considered it their homes. Im sure they loved haveing everything they had burned and then being kicked out on their own to beg just like their former "owners" or "masters" did.

Free blacks enlisted whole entire companys and paid for them theirselves to fight for the south. Confederate generals as earlier as 62 wanted slaves to be in the army on a mass scale.

Heres a fun link you can read, its only like an hours worth of text.

http://www.civilwarhistory.com/slavetrade/blacksoldiersCSA.htm

That's a good point and I wouldn't dispute it, either. But what's that got to do with how ridiculous it is to oppose a civil rights monument on state house grounds?

IndianaAppMan
June 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
SEEING AS HOW YOU FAILED TO RESPOND TO WHAT WAS POSTED BACK TO YOU BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.
CIT

I know what to be true? What post to me? I've been waiting for you to answer that.

Please respond back at the thread you started about AGS knobs. We've gotten way too off topic for it to stay on this thread.

UAalum72
June 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Confederate generals as earlier as 62 wanted slaves to be in the army on a mass scale.
A few generals did. Yet the Confederate Congress didn't pass a bill allowing the armed slaves in the CS Army until March 18, 1865 - too late to do them any good.

kirkblitz
June 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
That's a good point and I wouldn't dispute it, either. But what's that got to do with how ridiculous it is to oppose a civil rights monument on state house grounds?

because that monument was a waste of money to placate the NAACP, i bet if you asked the majority of south carolinians they would say they dont want it. I will give you this it is a nicely designed monument though.

Seawolf97
June 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
To get back on track from the Civil War discussion. I think Stonybrook being both new to the Big South and in its first year as counter team must prove itself early this season. They are capable of finishing this season in the Top 20 and getting an at large bid.

g-webb1994
June 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
To get back on track from the Civil War discussion. I think Stonybrook being both new to the Big South and in its first year as counter team must prove itself early this season. They are capable of finishing this season in the Top 20 and getting an at large bid.

Colgate, Elon, and Hofstra is a strong out of conference schedule indeed, especially since you get all three at your place.

Those road games in conference at Liberty and at Coastal are going to be rough on y'all. In 2009 when you get those two up there, that is when you make a serious run at a Big South title.xtwocentsx

ATrain
June 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Liberty will win the Big South again this year, Stony Brook probably won't like its "Welcome to the Conference" game.

As for the South, keep fightin Citdog, I'm with ya. Lee might've surrendered, but Citdog and myself sure as hell didn't. God bless the Confederacy and the ideals of states rights that Jefferson and Madison penned when this country was first founded.

SBUFAN33
June 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
i think stony brook will surprise alot of people, just remember i told you so.

CID1990
June 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
We are a counter team going into this season and will have 63 scholarship players in 2009. Even if the NEC goes to 40 which is quite possible Stonybrook is still ahead of the game. As for attendance I dont think that will be problem. Which is more exciting SHU at Stonybrook or Coastal Carolina at Stonybrook. We also have good non conference home games coming up including Colgate and Elon and in 2009 we get Brown at home and I think Northeastern. For a rivalry just mention Hofstra and that draws a crowd. The Hofstra at Stonybrook lacrosse game this year drew 5733 on a Tuesday night! We will be fine -especially if the 40 scholarship rule doesnt pass.

You're going to spend half your athletic budget on gas.

Ruler
June 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I have been hearing about how good SBU was and is going to be since they built their stadium. They were absolutly manhandled by New Hampshire and the Albany game wasn't as close asd the score indicated (24-23 W for Albany). At one pont in the UA game it was 21-6.

Anyways they SHOULD be improved. All I know is Priore HAD BETTER WIN NOW because he has every advantage a coach at this level can have. If he does well he will be on to bigger and better. If not Fiore and Priore & Co will be back in DIII.

YOU BETTER GET IT DONE CHUCK, UPENN was a long time ago.

jmu_duke07
June 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Wannabe Southerners... xcoffeex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Southerners... xcoffeex

They're not even on the south side of Lawn Guyland! :p :p :p

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
The year was 2006 - we lost our first four games in row.
Hofstra 17 SBU 8
Georgetown 7 SBU 0
UNH 62 SBU 7
UMass 48 SBU 7
But we ruined Monmouths bid for a perfect season beating them at Monmouth 36-17, then beat Albany 33-21 and had shot at the NEC title before losing to Robert Morris 21-7. Thats history and no one can change that.
Im willing to bet this years SBU team would beat the 2006 version by 3 TD's easily. But we will see. We open 2008 with Colgate a solid team on both sides of the ball and follow that game with Elon a team we played tough last year. Then face Maine, Brown and Hofstra before we play a conference game in October. We will be better.