PDA

View Full Version : Wofford 2008 season VERY hard to predict right now

woffordgrad94
June 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
We have lost a good many quality people and have a lot of holes to fill, no doubt. But we also have one of the best FCS coaches in the country in Mike Ayers (and I can't see how anyone could seriously dispute that), and I have confidence that he has found or will find quality young men to fill those holes. I think at the end of the day, the T-Dogs will emerge as a very competitive team in the SoCon and a contender for the playoffs once again, though I don't forsee a repeat of a conference championship. No matter how good the coach or the players are, there are bound to be some growing pains, and to tell the truth, our pass defense still scares me going up against SoCon QBs. I still remember what Scott Riddle did to us last year, and I don't see how we will be vastly improved in that area. Still, our wingbone offense will be a headache for our opponents once again, as I think it is the offensive system as much as it is the players that fuel Wofford's offensive success. I think a 5-3 conference record and 7-4 overall record sounds about right, and if we can somehow manage one more win that that, we might just sneak into the playoffs and get to go to Montana once again! xsmiley_wix

The only thing I really ask of this team right now is for the love of God don't lose the opener to Presbyterian. Those loudmouths over there would NEVER shut up!

WCU LawCat
June 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
In my SoCon order of finish I have WOfford 4th right now but I'm considering moving the to 5th

woffordgrad94
June 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
In my SoCon order of finish I have WOfford 4th right now but I'm considering moving the to 5th

Most folks have us in the middle of the pack this year, and in many ways I can understand that. But don't underestimate the power of Mike Ayers- he has a way of getting the absolute most out of his guys. If we had a mediocre coach, I doubt we'd even be competitive in the SoCon. That's how much I think of Mike.

Hoseinexile07
June 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
The only thing I really ask of this team right now is for the love of God don't lose the opener to Presbyterian. Those loudmouths over there would NEVER shut up!

You're right, especially because a lot of us have read the Wofford board and what you've [collectively] said about Presbyterian. I'm not saying we'll come away with the upset, but Wofford won't push us around. Expect us to come out swinging because we have nothing to lose by dropping this game. That's why we're dangerous. That being said, it would be no small accomplishment for PC if we win in Spartanburg, but it'd be a shame for the terriers to drop their season opener to a school who's so far below their level, right?

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
We have lost a good many quality people and have a lot of holes to fill, no doubt. But we also have one of the best FCS coaches in the country in Mike Ayers (and I can't see how anyone could seriously dispute that), and I have confidence that he has found or will find quality young men to fill those holes. I think at the end of the day, the T-Dogs will emerge as a very competitive team in the SoCon and a contender for the playoffs once again, though I don't forsee a repeat of a conference championship. No matter how good the coach or the players are, there are bound to be some growing pains, and to tell the truth, our pass defense still scares me going up against SoCon QBs. I still remember what Scott Riddle did to us last year, and I don't see how we will be vastly improved in that area. Still, our wingbone offense will be a headache for our opponents once again, as I think it is the offensive system as much as it is the players that fuel Wofford's offensive success. I think a 5-3 conference record and 7-4 overall record sounds about right, and if we can somehow manage one more win that that, we might just sneak into the playoffs and get to go to Montana once again! xsmiley_wix

Wofford grad:

Good post! Coach Ayers is a good one. Wingbone = headache. So far, I completely agree. And, I also agree that Wofford will be competitive again this year.

Can't wait to personally welcome you all to the friendly confines of Kidd-Brewer Stadium!

phoenix3
June 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Wofford grad:

Good post! Coach Ayers is a good one. Wingbone = headache. So far, I completely agree. And, I also agree that Wofford will be competitive again this year.

Can't wait to personally welcome you all to the friendly confines of Kidd-Brewer Stadium!

To a DC, no truer words have been written!

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
That being said, it would be no small accomplishment for PC if we win in Spartanburg, but it'd be a shame for the terriers to drop their season opener to a school who's so far below their level, right?

If you do win, try to exercise the class necessary to not take a team photo at midfield with the scoreboard in the background.

It's OK to celebrate, because it would be a big win, but scoreboard pics are for Chattanooga, not Spartanburg (or Lexington, VA xrolleyesx ... Oh, wait... you guys already took that onexlolx ).

RazorEdge19
June 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM

If you ask me, I think Wofford this season is very similar to the 2006 team. If they get off to a 3-1 or 2-2 start, they'll be very tough to beat from there on out. If they get off to a 1-3, 2-4 start, it'll be tough hedging. The confidence of the new guys will be very key.

asu70
June 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM

You guys have a great coach and his teams will always fight you to the end no matter what the score.

furman94
June 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
You're right, especially because a lot of us have read the Wofford board and what you've [collectively] said about Presbyterian. I'm not saying we'll come away with the upset, but Wofford won't push us around. Expect us to come out swinging because we have nothing to lose by dropping this game. That's why we're dangerous. That being said, it would be no small accomplishment for PC if we win in Spartanburg, but it'd be a shame for the terriers to drop their season opener to a school who's so far below their level, right?

Listen Hoes Hose, you lost to us 40-16 in an off year, Wofford (if they have their heads on straight) should beat PC soundly. The Socon ain't the Big South hoseinexile!

Hoseinexile07
June 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
On paper Wofford is by far the better team, but they're not going to walk all over us like many people think. Sure, when we played Furman last year we got trounced. But that game last season was our Division I debut. We had a young team, we were a little star struck, and our jittery quarterback had a terrible arm. This season our players will have had a year of experience under their belts, a full year working with the strength coaches [a position we didn't have until last season], and a QB who is light-years better than his predecessor. We're going to come out fighting and leave everything we have on the field. That's the only certainty at this point.

Our football program still has a LONG way to go. As I said in my previous post: I don't know if we'll win, but we certainly have nothing to lose. Wofford's position is much different.

OLDMAIN80
June 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Listen Hoes Hose, you lost to us 40-16 in an off year, Wofford (if they have their heads on straight) should beat PC soundly. The Socon ain't the Big South hoseinexile!

What he said.....rep for you 94.

gobluehose1
June 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
say what you want but everyone knows Wofford has an average pass defense at best, and passing is all we do (in some games literally). I concede that it will be a long shot for us, but don't act like because we got drilled by Furman the first game of last year, that Wofford should easily win this one.

Eaglegus2
June 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I expect Wofford to give Georgia Southern all they can handle and then some. I am really glad it is the 5th game of the season and not closer to the end. Kung Fu Mike is one hell of a coach xthumbsupx and I DO expect him to have the Terriers ready to play.

Eyes of Old Main
June 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
say what you want but everyone knows Wofford has an average pass defense at best, and passing is all we do (in some games literally). I concede that it will be a long shot for us, but don't act like because we got drilled by Furman the first game of last year, that Wofford should easily win this one.

Then don't expect that because our pass defense isn't the best that you'll score at will. Historically, Wofford's defense executes the "bend but don't break" as well as anyone and even though they will be young, they are a unit that has won big games and championships.

On the other side, what are you going to say to convince me you can contain our offense, young or not? Fast paced offenses can't do their thing when our offense cranks out 9 minute TD drives. Ask Appalachian, ask Georgia Southern, ask Montana.

Wofford might give up points in this game, but PC will. I'll take my chances that Wofford gets a few more stops than the Blue Hose.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
If you do win, try to exercise the class necessary to not take a team photo at midfield with the scoreboard in the background.

It's OK to celebrate, because it would be a big win, but scoreboard pics are for Chattanooga, not Spartanburg (or Lexington, VA xrolleyesx ... Oh, wait... you guys already took that onexlolx ).

Class? Don't see how class has anything to do with it. It shows how important the Wofford game is to them and how much they value the Terriers as an opponent.

catdaddy2402
June 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The Socon ain't the Big South hoseinexile!

Funny...I seem to recall some purple people saying the same thing to another fairly new Big South team in '06.

How'd that turn out for ya?;)

Eyes of Old Main
June 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Class? Don't see how class has anything to do with it. It shows how important the Wofford game is to them and how much they value the Terriers as an opponent.

I was referring to PC taking a team photo at midfield withthe scoreboard in the background after they beat VMI last season in Lexington.

Perhaps that should be filed under "act like you've been there before" instead of "classiness", but either way they weren't acting with class or like they'd been there before. I was simply stating that I hope they behave a little better after any future wins.

The only thing that they value about Wofford as an opponent is beating us. For the last 10-12 years they've heard Wofford fans say that they weren't our rivals anymore and that we were above them. A win over the Terriers negates some of that to them. No difference really between this and the way Furman fans have treated Wofford over the years.

woffordgrad94
June 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM

For me personally, I have absolutely nothing against PC as a school. It is a fine institution and is actually very similar to Wofford in many ways. One of my best friends in high school went to PC and I actually considered going there myself. But I do feel that as far as football goes, Wofford absolutely has to win this game. In all honesty, I do think of PC as not being on Wofford's level on the gridiron just yet, and yes, I would consider it an upset if PC won, as well as a bit embarrassing for Wofford. Not only that, but a PC loss would realisitically end any chances for us to get a playoff bid right off the bat. I'm not saying PC CAN'T beat us, but I am saying they SHOULDN'T. And yes, the PC fans I know are quite loud and seem to think their team is a lot better than it really is...nothing against you personally, Hose in exile, but that is what I've witnessed.

In all seriousness, though, I think it's great to see PC back on the schedule. This was a great rivalry for many years, and it's nice to see it renewed and I hope we keep it going. In fact, I would like to see Wofford play a 12-game slate every year with PC, SC State (always great games with those guys), an FCS national power (Delaware, McNeese, Richmond, James Madison, Northern Iowa, someone along those lines), and an FBS money game, along with our 8 SoCon games. That to me would be the ideal schedule. By the way, I'm curious- will PC be eligible for a playoff berth in 2008, or are they still in a probationary period?

SirApp
June 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
If you ask me, I think Wofford this season is very similar to the 2006 team. If they get off to a 3-1 or 2-2 start, they'll be very tough to beat from there on out. If they get off to a 1-3, 2-4 start, it'll be tough hedging. The confidence of the new guys will be very key.

Confidence is the biggest key for your young team I believe. Ayers is a great coach, but confidence is a hard thing to instill into a young athlete.

Luckily, Wofford has a pretty favorable schedule in the first half of their season. Going to Ga South will be a difficult task, but if your boys can win that game, they will be all the better heading into the gauntlet ahead of them in the second half (@Elon, @App, Cit and Furman).

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Good luck to Wofford in the fast approching season. And I might be in the minority here but I would love for you to come back to Missoula for a playoff game.

Classy bunch of fans you got.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think it's time for the Grizzies to come to Spartanburg.

Hoseinexile07
June 5th, 2008, 07:47 AM
By the way, I'm curious- will PC be eligible for a playoff berth in 2008, or are they still in a probationary period?

We're not eligible for the post season until the 2011-2012 academic year.

Maybe I shouldn't have taken the whole "below our level" thing the way I did. Maybe it wasn't so much what some of y'all said as much as how it sounded to me, especially because I've heard Wofford people [not on your board] say disparaging things about PC as an institution.

...And for a while, woffordgrad94, Wofford was my first choice. But I wised up and decided to go to Presbyterian instead. :D

GtFllsGriz
June 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have nothing but respect for Wofford and wish you well this season. A class bunch for sure. But there is nothing like a rematch victory to wash away the bad taste of defeat. Here or there, I hope we meet again!

OL FU
June 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Funny...I seem to recall some purple people saying the same thing to another fairly new Big South team in '06.

How'd that turn out for ya?;)

Not so good the first year.

Fine the second year.

Butxeyebrowx CCU is still in the Bsouth so all is right with the worldxlolx

RazorEdge19
June 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I have nothing but respect for Wofford and wish you well this season. A class bunch for sure. But there is nothing like a rematch victory to wash away the bad taste of defeat. Here or there, I hope we meet again!

Indeed. Nothing but respect for Montana team & fans as well. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Since we came up there during the winter, y'all will have to stop on south during the beginning of the season in August or Sept. sometime. Its only fair. ;)

Millwoch
June 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Look for Woffy to have at least a 10-15 minute time of possession advantage in this one. If they do not turn it over, they will score and score a lot. If PC cannot run the ball, look for Woffords deep Dline to really put some pressure on the QB. Wofford beats the spread on this one easily. Sorry PC, but you will not be there yet.

Libertine
June 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
PC clearly doesn't need a lot of TOP to score. In 2007, they won 6 games while controlling the TOP only twice (both losses). Against CCU, PC turned the ball over seven times and won. Against North Greenville, PC put up 66 points and 665 yds of offense all while holding the ball for a grand total of 17 minutes. I'm certainly not drawing a comparison between Wofford's defense and NGU but it's food for thought.

gobluehose1
June 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Look for Woffy to have at least a 10-15 minute time of possession advantage in this one. If they do not turn it over, they will score and score a lot. If PC cannot run the ball, look for Woffords deep Dline to really put some pressure on the QB. Wofford beats the spread on this one easily. Sorry PC, but you will not be there yet.

deep d-line? I thought they were using reserve o-line for d-line in the spring....Wofford's d-line will not decide the game...

plus anyone who knows about a true spread offense knows that a quick screen play for 60 yards will slow down any d-line

Millwoch
June 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
PC clearly doesn't need a lot of TOP to score. In 2007, they won 6 games while controlling the TOP only twice (both losses). Against CCU, PC turned the ball over seven times and won. Against North Greenville, PC put up 66 points and 665 yds of offense all while holding the ball for a grand total of 17 minutes. I'm certainly not drawing a comparison between Wofford's defense and NGU but it's food for thought.

North Greenville is not Wofford. The key to Wofford football is ball control and minimize mistakes. TOP and turnovers will be a measure of this. It can drive you crazy as an opponent. They wear you down slowly. I will agree that the secondary of Wofford will be their weak link, but they have depth across the line that will keep them fresh. I do not have a dog in this fight, even though my allegiance will be with the SOCON on this one. Good luck, as I know that PC will be up for this game. They will have something to prove, but I thought that last year as well.

RazorEdge19
June 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
deep d-line? I thought they were using reserve o-line for d-line in the spring....Wofford's d-line will not decide the game...

plus anyone who knows about a true spread offense knows that a quick screen play for 60 yards will slow down any d-line

I seem to recall a certain Appalachian State team that runs the spread offense had a lot of trouble against Wofford's defense.

Something tells me up-and-coming PC doesn't run it as well as ASU does. Wofford knows how to defend the spread, just ask ASU and the Citadel after last year.

Libertine
June 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM
North Greenville is not Wofford.

Yeah, I kind of said that.

gobluehose1
June 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I seem to recall a certain Appalachian State team that runs the spread offense had a lot of trouble against Wofford's defense.

Something tells me up-and-coming PC doesn't run it as well as ASU does. Wofford knows how to defend the spread, just ask ASU and the Citadel after last year.

We don't run the same offense App State does

App state's bread and butter is the spread option courtesy of one Armanti Edwards, which of course is run out of the spread formation, but they do not throw the ball as much....

my point in posting originally is that Wofford is an average pass defense team, and passing happens to be what we do best

Hoseinexile07
June 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
my point in posting originally is that Wofford is an average pass defense team, and passing happens to be what we do best

I'm usually inclined to agree with you, but it's not as though our passing game against Wofford's pass defense gives us an edge. At best, Wofford enjoys a completely inverted advantage that cancels out our air attack: We're not that great at stopping the run, so if Wofford can run the ball well, then they could just as easily pound us offensively as we could to them. xoopsx

FCS Go!
June 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm usually inclined to agree with you, but it's not as though our passing game against Wofford's pass defense gives us an edge. At best, Wofford enjoys a completely inverted advantage that cancels out our air attack: We're not that great at stopping the run, so if Wofford can run the ball well, then they could just as easily pound us offensively as we could to them. xoopsx

IIRC Wofford does run the ball pretty well. xeyebrowx

Seriously, you guys are in for a real pounding. Wofford, even though they will be "down" this year (IMHO) is worlds away from anyone Presby beat last year. You lost to W. Carolina for Gosh's sake!

woffordgrad94
June 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Her's what I think might be the real key to this game- When is the last time PC played against a true option offense like Wofford's wingbone? It is hard to defend for those in the SoCon who see it regularly, let alone a team like PC that's never faced it. I really think PC will put up a good fight and will be able to score some through the air, and this game might be close for a while. But in the end, we will wear the Hose down and pull away... Wofford 45, PC 21

Eyes of Old Main
June 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM
With all this discussion, you'd think that Wofford's season hinges on beating a team that was D-II year before last.

ASU88
June 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
... but don't act like because we got drilled by Furman the first game of last year, that Wofford should easily win this one.

That being said, I fully expect Wofford to easily in this one.

Welcome to the SoCon. xnodx

woffordgrad94
June 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
With all this discussion, you'd think that Wofford's season hinges on beating a team that was D-II year before last.

In a way, it does. If we lose, it might be hard to recover and make the playoffs. We have opponents a lot tougher than PC later on in our schedule...this is a must win!

terrierbob
June 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
IIRC Wofford does run the ball pretty well. xeyebrowx

Seriously, you guys are in for a real pounding. Wofford, even though they will be "down" this year (IMHO) is worlds away from anyone Presby beat last year. You lost to W. Carolina for Gosh's sake!

What does IIRC mean?

Mountaineer
June 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
What does IIRC mean?

If I remember correctly.. xnodx

dungeonjoe
June 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
What does IIRC mean?
stutterin' good root beer.

RazorEdge19
June 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Personally, I think Wofford will make a statement during this game and it won't be a bad one.

Eyes of Old Main
June 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
stutterin' good root beer.

Isn't the root beer IBC?

Eyes of Old Main
June 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Personally, I think Wofford will make a statement during this game and it won't be a bad one.

Maybe we can make that statement so loudly that we won't have to play PC anymore.