PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions:10/15/2005

catamount man
October 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
My beloved WCU Catamounts have the week off to get rested up for a big game on the 22nd at Chattanooga, so I will be glued to the tv to check out TWO televised SoCon games.

Furman@The Citadel (SC-ETV 2pm) Furman, I do believe, is hitting their stride and are out to prove themselves every week after their loss to us. The Citadel brings their A game weekly, even against I-A foes. With Lawson out though, this game won't be as exciting. PREDICTION: Baptists-41, Secessionists-24

Chatt@Elon - Chattanooga wins 24-10.

VMI@Wofford - Wofford wins in a CLOSE one. VMI is much improved this season. Wofford wins 29-23.

[email protected] (FSNS, 3:30pm) Oh yes! The game I will be glued to. If I were Sewak, I'd have waited until this week to bring out the offense that he used against WCU last week. Now, you give App.State a week to prepare for that. The runs by both QBs in this game will be worth the price of admission alone. ASU will come out fired up, as essentially a loss here and you can almost kiss the postseason goodbye. GSU, like Furman, stumbled early and doesn't want to have to fight out of a hole before they play FU in November. This one will be a donny brook, but....................PREDICTION:Georgia Southern-28, App.State-27. ASU misses a last second FG. Folks will be tired just watching this game.

Best of luck to all SoCon schools as we WCU'ers sit back and enjoy a much needed open week. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Baldy
October 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM
If I were Sewak, I'd have waited until this week to bring out the offense that he used against WCU last week. Now, you give App.State a week to prepare for that. The runs by both QBs in this game will be worth the price of admission alone.

As I was told, you ain't seen nothing yet. Coach was very disciplined to to show too much. ;)

We pretty much ran the same offense, just from different formations. The double TE set does wonders to negate the 8 & 9 man boxes...it was effective as hell. The stacked trips is what really gave the Cat's D problems....Western only lined up one DB against the 3 WR's. We didn't take advantage of it. If App does the same, expect them to get burned. :)

OL FU
October 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Mocs - Phoenix - Mocs and I agree with Catamount man's point spread.

Terriers - Keydets - I don't believe this is as close as last year. The game is at Wofford and I think the Terriers slept through last years game. I will not be a blow out, but I say Wofford wins by 10 to 14 points.

Paladins - Military College of the Citdog. - Well this is one week I don't need to be reminded that this is still a rivalry game and you know what rivalry games mean. Any thing can happen. So removing the rivalry, I think this may be the one game that FU can keep someone from scoring a lot of points. FU 35-10. (No, I change my mind 24-14)

Eagles - Mountaineers - What can you say? There was a debate on AGS before about which is the bigger rival. GSU - FU or GSU - ASU? The latter is the nastier one for sure. ASU 28 - GSU 24. (Honestly I could pick it the other way and feel just as uncomfortable with my pick :D ).

atlGAmocs
October 11th, 2005, 11:12 AM
UTC @ Elon I would love nothing more than to see the Mocs win by two touchdowns. However, the run defense just won't allow that in addition to the fact that QB Antonio Miller seems to like the last second heroics. I see this as another field goal victory for the scrappy Mocs 17 -14.

GSU @ App State I'll give this one to GSU. I may rate them a little high because of the beat down they gave my Mocs, but they are good. 35 - 24.

Furman @ Citadel Furman will score in the second half. 35 - 10.

VMI @ Wofford the T pups proved got past Elon and they will get past VMI. 23 - 10.

Catamount man I look forward to seeing your Catamounts in Chattanooga!

ButlerGSU
October 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
My beloved WCU Catamounts have the week off to get rested up for a big game on the 22nd at Chattanooga, so I will be glued to the tv to check out TWO televised SoCon games.

Furman@The Citadel (SC-ETV 2pm) Furman, I do believe, is hitting their stride and are out to prove themselves every week after their loss to us. The Citadel brings their A game weekly, even against I-A foes. With Lawson out though, this game won't be as exciting. PREDICTION: Baptists-41, Secessionists-24

Chatt@Elon - Chattanooga wins 24-10.

VMI@Wofford - Wofford wins in a CLOSE one. VMI is much improved this season. Wofford wins 29-23.

[email protected] (FSNS, 3:30pm) Oh yes! The game I will be glued to. If I were Sewak, I'd have waited until this week to bring out the offense that he used against WCU last week. Now, you give App.State a week to prepare for that. The runs by both QBs in this game will be worth the price of admission alone. ASU will come out fired up, as essentially a loss here and you can almost kiss the postseason goodbye. GSU, like Furman, stumbled early and doesn't want to have to fight out of a hole before they play FU in November. This one will be a donny brook, but....................PREDICTION:Georgia Southern-28, App.State-27. ASU misses a last second FG. Folks will be tired just watching this game.

Best of luck to all SoCon schools as we WCU'ers sit back and enjoy a much needed open week. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU will not lose this week.

Furman will roll over the Citadel. 35-14.

UTC beats Elon but it isn't flashy. UTC-28 Elon-17.

Woffords running game is too much for VMI. The lapdogs win 32-21.

If GSU does not fumble, we win by two scores. If ASU's D can make Foster or JA fumble we will be in for a long day. GSU-56 ASU-48. It's a shoot out folks...

SoCon48
October 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
WCU will not lose this week.

Furman will roll over the Citadel. 35-14.

UTC beats Elon but it isn't flashy. UTC-28 Elon-17.

Woffords running game is too much for VMI. The lapdogs win 32-21.

If GSU does not fumble, we win by two scores. If ASU's D can make Foster or JA fumble we will be in for a long day. GSU-56 ASU-48. It's a shoot out folks...

56-48? Whew! Can't see GSU scoring more than they did last year vs App. Can't see App scoring 48 vs GSU either. I'm thinking like 38-28 in favor of the bad guys from the 'boro.
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see GSU run all day but pass in the red-zone at least for half the scores.

catamount man
October 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Catamount man I look forward to seeing your Catamounts in Chattanooga!

Yes indeed! I love the city of Chattanooga and can't wait to belly up at T-Bonz sports bar a few hours before our game. Gotta watch some of that UT-Bama game! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

keydet71
October 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hey SoCon folks....if'n we beat Wofford (which we can do if the football gods are looking out for us), would you invite us back instead of having Conway Coastal Univ join the party? :D

SpiritCymbal
October 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Hey SoCon folks....if'n we beat Wofford (which we can do if the football gods are looking out for us), would you invite us back instead of having Conway Coastal Univ join the party? :D
We'd take VMI back tomorrow if it meant we could get rid of Elon.

phoenixsq
October 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM
OK.

VMI and Wofford. Too much veer by Wofford. Still do not see VMI beating the scottish pups! 24-10 Wofford.

Furman and El Cid. Furman is starting to roll and are getting more confident after the big win over App St. But this will be harder than they think down by the seashore. 21-17 the Paladins.

My boys the Hot Birds (Elon) and the Mocs. Some people forget ("We'd take VMI back tomorrow if it meant we could get rid of Elon.") that we beat the Mocs on the road last year (our only road win in the SoCon so far!). Our "D" can play and if our starting RB is healthy (Hall) then we have an upset.... Phoenix 24 - Moc 20.

The game of the day: App St and GSU. This one will be good. I am going to tape it since I will be at the Elon game. After seeing GSU total dismantle us and drill UTC in a big way, I do not see how App St keeps the "running machine" off the field. Richie will give it a great effort but....... GSU 34 App St 24 :nod: .

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2005, 01:38 AM
My boys the Hot Birds (Elon) and the Mocs. Some people forget ("We'd take VMI back tomorrow if it meant we could get rid of Elon.") that we beat the Mocs on the road last year (our only road win in the SoCon so far!). Our "D" can play and if our starting RB is healthy (Hall) then we have an upset.... Phoenix 24 - Moc 20.

...and what happened the year before that when the Mocs played at Elon?
ummm...Chattanooga 24, Elon 7

as for my picks...dang, no clue...anyone one of these teams could win and lose...

...if Wofford can't rediscover their offense, they could lose...though I think they will beat VMI

...weird things happen for Furman at the Citadel...but the Citadel could also "pull and App" (I am talking about the beating App gave them earlier)

...ASU and GSU is a toss-up, which it should be with two of the top dogs going....though I think I gotta stick with Men of the Mountain on Black Saturday (I can't wait to watch it as a fan of football)

...Western will spend the weekend coming up with running schemes for next week against the Mocs :eek:

...and Elon...it does make me nervous (though I am kinda glad they just barely eeked by LU...that way they won't be over looking the Phoenix)...I think it will be back and forth...which plays right into the hands of the Mocs who have between 3 teams in the last 5 minutes. The Mocs haven't quite got the confidence to put any team away...but Antonio Miller has done a great job of taking over at the end and just doing enough to get wins (it is still a really young team on offense with only 3 seniors...and 6 freshman or sophomores)...whether by 1, or by 50...makes no matter to me.

Another fun weekend in a much improved SoCon...for Moc fans, it is nice to at least be back in the fight.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Somebody remind me why you left?

phyrbirdphan
October 12th, 2005, 08:03 AM
We'd take VMI back tomorrow if it meant we could get rid of Elon.
why the diss on Elon? did I miss something? so We lost to rejuvenated GSU team so will a lot of teams. and We have brought a total program to the Socon sure We need to improve but isn't that always the case in just about everything?
We sell authentic NC Bar-B-Q in our concessions. our women are hot so just get off our arse!!!!

blueballs
October 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM
our women are hot so just get off our arse!!!!

That's all that really matters... ;)

EagleCrusade
October 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
If we're just basing admittance based soley on hot women, then Citadel needs to go.
Along with Furman.

ButlerGSU
October 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
It always makes me nervous when people pick us in big games. While I certainly hope we win by 10+ points, I don't really see it happening. The game will be a battle for 60 minutes, thank God this poor student gets Fox Sports Net.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
If we're just basing admittance based soley on hot women, then Citadel needs to go.
Along with Furman.

We have tenure :p

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM
It always makes me nervous when people pick us in big games. While I certainly hope we win by 10+ points, I don't really see it happening. The game will be a battle for 60 minutes, thank God this poor student gets Fox Sports Net.

I also think that people get a little carried away with your margin of victory in some games. There is no doubt that when GSU starts to roll, you roll. But when the teams are a little more evenly matched or when you don't jump all over the opponent at the start of the game (or some combination of the two), close games are more likely. I agree this one should be close.

WUTNDITWAA
October 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM
why the diss on Elon? did I miss something? so We lost to rejuvenated GSU team so will a lot of teams. and We have brought a total program to the Socon sure We need to improve but isn't that always the case in just about everything?
We sell authentic NC Bar-B-Q in our concessions. our women are hot so just get off our arse!!!!

Lexington or eastern-style?

SoCon48
October 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM

The Elon women get especially "hot" when they're around the real men from other schools. ;)

ButlerGSU
October 12th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Elons fans did not hang around long enough to get a good look at them ;-)

phyrbirdphan
October 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Lexington or eastern-style?
does it matter? Elon is only 40 miles tops from the Pigtown Capital. FWIW it's Huey's, it beats almost anything outside of Lexington or along I-95, Bar-B-Q cannot be debated on this forum as it needs it's own format.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
haha, i just noticed that Elon is scheduled as the Homecoming game for 4 teams, thats funny

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 09:53 AM
haha, i just noticed that Elon is scheduled as the Homecoming game for 4 teams, thats funny

Nickname change coming up. The Queens. :p

On the otherhand, Wofford was ASU's Home Coming opponent the other year, and they beat App in KBS.

ASU was scheduled to be Elon's Home Coming opponent this year.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Nickname change coming up. The Queens. :p

On the otherhand, Wofford was ASU's Home Coming opponent the other year, and they beat App in KBS.

ASU was scheduled to be Elon's Home Coming opponent this year.

it wasn't lately, b/c app has won 12 straight at home

ravens
November 11th, 2005, 04:11 PM
The Elon women get especially "hot" when they're around the real men from other schools. ;)

If Elon has the best BARBQ and hottest women in the SoCon they should get the autobid. PS Both those Citadel gals are homely.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
it wasn't lately, b/c app has won 12 straight at home
Lately as in 2002 (Richie was a freshman) when it almost knocked our tails out of the play-offs. In fact it did kind of in that it gave us a 7th ranked opponent first round instead of a nice 16, 15, 14, 13, etc.
#7 Maine promptly beat us by a point. The rest we stayed home and read about in the papers.
We dropped from from 8th to 14th after Woffie handed us our butts in front of OUR Homecoming crowd of 17K.
How embarrassing. :(