PDA

View Full Version : UD-UR game might be moved to Richmond

henfan
October 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Due to the horrendous condition of the playing surface at Tubby Raymond Field (aptly called 'The Tub'), this Saturday's game may be moved to Richmond. Discussions are ongoing and a call will be made tomorrow.

I'm not going to editorialize much for fear of my head exploding. I'll let fellow UD fans do that on my behalf.

Just this to consider: if your football program made a $1.5M-$2M per year profit on football, had crowds in excess of 20K each week, would they be worrying about inconsequential and totally avoidable issues like the condition of your stadium's playing surface? Simply embarrassing! :mad:

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Maybe Delaware needs to change their field to be like the current field at JMU's Bridgeforth Stadium with turf and that famous high crown. :p

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I have two questions if the game is moved to Richmond:

1. Would Delaware bus people to Richmond who were planning to see the game in Newark or just reinburse them somehow?
2. Would Richmond play at Delaware in 2006?

RadMann
October 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
It is an absurd idea. Playing football in the mud is part of the game.

MR. CHICKEN
October 10th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I have two questions if the game is moved to Richmond:

1. Would Delaware bus people to Richmond who were planning to see the game in Newark or just reinburse them somehow?
2. Would Richmond play at Delaware in 2006?

IT WAS SCHEDULED FO' TV...FROM TUBBY FIELD........IFIN' IT'S STILL TELEVISED FROM RICHMOND.........GIVE ME BACK MAH DUCATS...(UNLESS DELIAHLA'S......WILL ACCEPT UH UNUSED...DELAWARE TICKET AS COVERAH CHARGE!)........AH'M STAYIN' AT MAH COOP........JES' DID AN AWAY @ TOWSON...AN' ONE WHITE KNUCKLE RIDE ON I-95 UH SEASON IS ENUFF!.....:eek::eek::eek:.....BRAWK!

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Unless it poses a danger to the athletes - keep it at the Tub. I can't believe that Delaware might let this happen.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
...AN' ONE WHITE KNUCKLE RIDE ON I-95 UH SEASON IS ENUFF!.....:eek::eek::eek:.....BRAWK!

So you'll be taking Route 13 down the Delmarva to come to Williamsburg? A better route for you anyway.....right through the heart of Frank Perdue land. :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Due to the horrendous condition of the playing surface at Tubby Raymond Field (aptly called 'The Tub'), this Saturday's game may be moved to Richmond. Discussions are ongoing and a call will be made tomorrow.

I'm not going to editorialize much for fear of my head exploding. I'll let fellow UD fans do that on my behalf.

Just this to consider: if your football program made a $1.5M-$2M per year profit on football, had crowds in excess of 20K each week, would they be worrying about inconsequential and totally avoidable issues like the condition of your stadium's playing surface? Simply embarrassing! :mad:

First of all, the field condition during the Lehigh/Delaware game was already pretty bad, and I'm pretty sure I remember during the telecast the announcers said that the plans were to resod sometime in October - I'm guessing after the Richmond game. The rains must have really ruined an already dicey field.

Second, at Lehigh I talked to a guy who was concerned about the expense of resodding. So, how expensive is it really? Yes, I'm sure Delaware should be able to handle the expense, but my point is that I think it's actually a pretty big expense - one that AD's don't take lightly.

Thirdly, I don't think this is embarassing, nor totally avoidable, at all. This year was a unique weather situation where grass didn't grow well, combined with record rainfalls. There are a lot of playing surfaces that are really bad all up and down the east coast, not just at Delaware.

bluehenbillk
October 11th, 2005, 07:18 AM
The UD football program, long the flagship program of the A-10, and one of the model 1-AA programs throughout the country has slowly at first & now is rapidly becoming a joke.

Our AD is quoted in the Wilminton News Journal this morning saying our field problem can be traced back to 1992-93. The question UD fans have for Edgar Johnson (Delaware's version of Ed Wade) is what have you done about it in the 13 years that your football program has grossed approximately a $13 million profit.

I feel that at noon today I may never be more embarassed to be a Blue Hen Football fan.

Blue Hen Nation
October 11th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I'm astonished and don't know what to think. Farking embarassing! :mad: :confused:

Blue Hen Nation
October 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Welcome to Delaware's version of the Bizzaro World.

Down with the Foe!
October 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM
It is an absurd idea. Playing football in the mud is part of the game.

SO "Were" leather helmuts, this philosophy's time has come, and gone as well (the mud bowls).

If you are going to play I-AA football...you should have a synthetic surface such as Field Turf if weather is ever going to be an issue.

It is a team's job who host a game to present a playable surface... make a forfeit part of the rule, some of you purist won't mind that stuff at all.

My 2 cents (I'll be hiding under my desk as you all read this)

:D

MR. CHICKEN
October 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM
So you'll be taking Route 13 down the Delmarva to come to Williamsburg? A better route for you anyway.....right through the heart of Frank Perdue land. :nod:

TONTO............WHAT'S UH CHICKEN'S CHANCE....O' COMIN' OUT DUH OTHERAH END......O' PERDUE TERRITORY???........ROUTE 13.....301....OR...I-95......AH'M NOT GOIN'!.................AH'M TOTALLY OUTTA HIGHWAY COURAGE FO' DIS SEASON!.........:nonono2:..........BRAWK!

p.s. THANX FO' SCALPIN' NEW HAMPSHIRE.......WHERE'D YA PLACE DAT WILDCAT HIDE.......AT DUH TEE-PEE? :rolleyes:

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
The UD field...

http://www.gohens.net/images/Game%205%20-%20Hofstra/Hofstra_ud10.jpg

and it was much worse than it looks in this photo

colgate13
October 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM
What's the problem? Reminds me of the playoffs! :)

Hansel
October 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Franklin Field 45 mins away has turf, 53k capacity, and Penn is on the road this week

henfan
October 11th, 2005, 09:20 AM
The announcement will be made soon. The game will be played in Richmond this Saturday. No television.

Heads need to roll over this but, of course, in the nepotistic, insular world of UD politics, they won't. These folks are so far above reproach and removed from responsibility, they ought to be in Washington, DC.

I'm disgusted.

FU97
October 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Wow that is extremely embearassing for a school like UD to have something like this happen.

Catsfan
October 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
West Chester's stadium. It's got to be close and WC certainly owes it ti UD.