PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State's 10-year plan for an FCS title

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

bet that got your attention...

Ever since that debacle against UD on national television, I've been looking back at DSU's season and the strides that we have made in the Lavan era. And looking forward I believe that DSU has the potential of growing into a regional if not national power in FCS.

1) Facilities (Academic/Athletic)
2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

These are what I feel are the five basic principles of being a successful college football program. Every single successful football program from the BCS level all the way down to the high school level builds on these five basic principles.

And for you CliffNoters out there, this thread will have nothing to do with "OMFG Delaware State needs to playz YouDee OVER 9000 times lololol!!!111!" xrotatehx or MEAC-hating or anything like that, I hope to have a somewhat of a legitimate discussion on mainly Del St. but also on how other lesser known schools can also become successful at the FCS level.

AppAlum2003
June 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Just curious... are most of DSU's recruits regional?

terrierbob
June 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Very reasoned, dispassionate thread. Would GA Southern's template be a good model? Not saying it could be replicated, but you may as well aim high.

andy7171
June 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
For DSU to make the jump up into the FCS top tier, they need to drastically improve their facilities. Build a new stadium and field house and the recruits will come.

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Most are with a mix of a few from LA, Chicago, and New York. I feel that we should focus strictly on local recruits from the Delmarva and tri-state areas, we should be competing more directly (recruiting-wise) with the Big East, the CAA and other BCS and FCS schools in the area for their recruits and I believe that we can snag a few more "impact players" this way.

813Jag
June 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Most are with a mix of a few from LA, Chicago, and New York. I feel that we should focus strictly on local recruits from the Delmarva and tri-state areas, we should be competing more directly (recruiting-wise) with the Big East, the CAA and other BCS and FCS schools in the area for their recruits and I believe that we can snag a few more "impact players" this way.
I really think (and not because I live here) if your coaches haven't already, they should recruit Florida (if the budget allows). There's lots of talented, qualifiied kids that are looking for places to play.

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
I really think (and not because I live here) if your coaches haven't already, they should recruit Florida (if the budget allows). There's lots of talented, qualifiied kids that are looking for places to play.

I agree. xthumbsupx

Like the gold rush back in the day, you go where the money is.

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
1: Facilities (Academic/Athletic)

Breaking News

It has been discovered that shiny new practice facilities and new trees in the stadium parking lot have almost the same impact on a potential recruit as shiny new science halls and new trees in the student park areas.

xreadx

Academics and Athletics are like peanut butter and jelly, you can have one without the other but its better to have both. They go hand in hand. Spending $27 million on a new stadium makes little sense if your student dorms are substandard to the point where even FEMA says "WTF". What most schools need to realize is that the "college experience" is what most recruits are interested in. 90% of our student-athletes will not make it to the next level, but what we should want is for 100% of THOSE student-athletes to enjoy their time here and become successful in whatever line of work that they pursue. The transistion from high school student to college student to a contributing member of society is very important to say the least. There's a reason that they're called "student-athletes" and not "athletically gifted student" or whatever. The issue is that these schools need to focus on building up their ENTIRE CAMPUS and not just their athletic department, whats the point of having a 34,000 seat state-of-the-art stadium and a $18 million fieldhouse when you're on the verge of losing your accreditation. Some of us need to get our priorities straight.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck
I think you are going to have a tough go of it in 1, 3 and 4 as long as UD is still around. UD does most of it's construction through private funding and because of that I think DSU would have a tough time squeezing money out of the state. UD is also so far ahead of DSU in facilities already and the gap will be growing over the next five years.

It will be hard to recruit against UD for local players even though UD doesn't do a great job there. You'd have to find kids who preferred Dover to Newark which is another tough sell, no offense to anyone in Dover. The Hornets are doing the right thing in playing teams like UMass, SIU, Northwestern State, etc... as that will expose your program to new areas. That's your best chance to improve recruiting.

Fan/alumni support is also tough without having the facilities or sustained success. Almost a catch-22. Again, you lose a lot of local fans to UD and those are the ones who would attend games. I don't know anything about your alumni base and if they stick around the state after graduating. The Hens are able to pull people from the entire state and into PA, MD and NJ to come to the games.

I wish I had some answers for you because I'd like to see DSU become competitive, and more importantly, well supported. I was rooting for you guys last year... all the way until Thanksgiving weekend. xsmiley_wix I'm afraid it's going to have to be a lot of little steps... like Lavan, making the playoffs, getting a regular season game against UD, winning a playoff game, etc....

813Jag
June 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

Breaking News

It has been discovered that shiny new practice facilities and new trees in the stadium parking lot have almost the same impact on a potential recruit as shiny new science halls and new trees in the student park areas.

xreadx

Academics and Athletics are like peanut butter and jelly, you can have one without the other but its better to have both. They go hand in hand. Spending $27 million on a new stadium makes little sense if your student dorms are substandard to the point where even FEMA says "WTF". What most schools need to realize is that the "college experience" is what most recruits are interested in. 90% of our student-athletes will not make it to the next level, but what we should want is for 100% of THOSE student-athletes to enjoy their time here and become successful in whatever line of work that they pursue. The transistion from high school student to college student to a contributing member of society is very important to say the least. There's a reason that they're called "student-athletes" and not "athletically gifted student" or whatever. The issue is that these schools need to focus on building up their ENTIRE CAMPUS and not just their athletic department, whats the point of having a 34,000 seat state-of-the-art stadium and a $18 million fieldhouse when you're on the verge of losing your accreditation. Some of us need to get our priorities straight.
This is a huge step and it's one that Southern is taking as well, there's been a huge overhaul on campus, which finally led to a new fieldhouse being constructed.

Also getting alumni to support the program can help as well, getting people to give to the program can help build a good support system.

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I think you are going to have a tough go of it in 1, 3 and 4 as long as UD is still around. UD does most of it's construction through private funding and because of that I think DSU would have a tough time squeezing money out of the state. UD is also so far ahead of DSU in facilities already and the gap will be growing over the next five years.

It will be hard to recruit against UD for local players even though UD doesn't do a great job there. You'd have to find kids who preferred Dover to Newark which is another tough sell, no offense to anyone in Dover. The Hornets are doing the right thing in playing teams like UMass, SIU, Northwestern State, etc... as that will expose your program to new areas. That's your best chance to improve recruiting.

Fan/alumni support is also tough without having the facilities or sustained success. Almost a catch-22. Again, you lose a lot of local fans to UD and those are the ones who would attend games. I don't know anything about your alumni base and if they stick around the state after graduating. The Hens are able to pull people from the entire state and into PA, MD and NJ to come to the games.

I wish I had some answers for you because I'd like to see DSU become competitive, and more importantly, well supported. I was rooting for you guys last year... all the way until Thanksgiving weekend. xsmiley_wix I'm afraid it's going to have to be a lot of little steps... like Lavan, making the playoffs, getting a regular season game against UD, winning a playoff game, etc....

True especially with the budget shortfall the state is facing. And also with the imminent death of the Civic Center project (which I truly believe is BS because its been proven that it would be profitable not only to the Center itself but also the economic impact on the area...but thats for another topic on another website...), those are the hurdles that we are facing. The main goal right now is to convince our Alumni to donate BACK to the university, and thats through having academic programs that can prepare for better paying jobs so they can afford to do so. UD doesn't have this problem. If I'm not mistaken Delaware has a $1.5 billion endowment xeekx
DSU needs to do a better job in marketing themselves locally, regionally, and nationally.

93henfan
June 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken Delaware has a $1.5 billion endowment xeekx

Nope, it's only $1.4B xsmiley_wix

Not even tops in our conference in fact:

1 - Richmond - 1.65 billion
2 - Delaware - 1.4 billion
3 - Northeastern - 680 million
4 - W&M - 586 million
5 - UMass - 350 million
6 - Villanova - 336 million
7 - UNH - 285 million
8 - Hofstra - 226 million
9 - Old Dominion - 178 million
10 - Maine - 163 million
11 - Georgia State - 98 million
12 - URI - 95 million
13 - JMU - 51 million
14 - Towson - 30 million

source: Endowments (http://www.nacubo.org/Images/All%20Institutions%20Listed%20by%20FY%202007%20Mar ket%20Value%20of%20Endowment%20Assets_2007%20NES.p df)

DSUrocks07
June 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
2: Coaching

Coaching is what makes or breaks a football program. How many stories have you heard about a coach leading his less-talented team to a championship ("Hoosiers" style), or how many times has a coach fallen short with a superior team (that means you Flip Saunders xlolx ) While the head coach is the face of the program, its his coaching staff that makes the whole operation run smoothly (offensive & defensive coordinators, position coaches, assistants, trainers, etc) A great head coach must have the ability to motivate his players, coaches, staff, and the entire student body to rally behind the success of the program, and I believe that Lavan possesses these qualities. His calm cool and collected demeanor is what you would want in a head coach of a program thats getting back on its feet (DSU football was a force to be reckoned with in the 1980s xthumbsupx ). The head coach also implements the offensive system as well (Power Run, West Coast, Run and Gun, etc) and the onus is on the offensive staff to run it to near perfection. Lavan is of the Power Running-Ball Control offense. Big backs, big O-lines, and a QB to manage the passing game whenever necessary. Blue collar, "three yards and a cloud of dust", All-American "Footbawl" xcoolx . Our defense is managed exclusively by our Defense Coordinator Rayford Petty, mainly zone schemes to compensate for our lack of individual speed by our DBs, a fact that both Norfolk State and UD exposed to great effect in our games against them.

bluehenbillk
June 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
3 is DSU biggest hurdle, 1 & 4 are next on the list.

IMO the MEAC as a whole has had issues recruiting, DSU or anyone in that bunch would need to create a new pool of players to participate on a greater level. And in fact, with new players like ODU & the like coming in it makes the pool shallower not deeper.

As for facilities, I know DSU has talked about them for a while but their facilities & alum/student support are definitely on the lower 50% of all FCS schools.

dbackjon
June 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Question - how does Delaware State market itself? As an HBCU, or as "Delaware's PUBLIC University?

Cobblestone
June 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

These are what I feel are the five basic principles of being a successful college football program. Every single successful football program from the BCS level all the way down to the high school level builds on these five basic principles.

Too bad for you guys that having a first-rate marching band is not on that list. If that were the case DSU would be FBS right now. I'm not big on marching bands but I will never forget when you guys played at URI (must have been a dozen years ago) and your band performed at halftime; I have never seen a marching band that good. In fact nobody on the URI side even went to the concessions stands until after the band was finished playing. It's not too often you see that.

813Jag
June 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Question - how does Delaware State market itself? As an HBCU, or as "Delaware's PUBLIC University?
I can't speak for DSU but some kids have a negative image of HBCU's (at least some that I know) so it's important to find another angle to get them. (I.E. a school program, location, etc.)

BlueHen86
June 3rd, 2008, 12:04 PM

I agree. There is a lot of talent there.

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
"OMFG Delaware State needs to playz YouDee OVER 9000 times lololol!!!111!"http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/mfdfhlkhcuu0.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it. xlolxxlolx

GannonFan
June 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
And looking forward I believe that DSU has the potential of growing into a regional if not national power in FCS.

2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

To be honest with you, those are all going to be tough things for DSU to succeed in. First of all, Lavan is no Spring chicken - isn't he 60 right now? How long does he stay at DSU should the facilities and the fan/alumni support not come to fruition? Delaware is a small state and even UD can't pull large sums away from the state in terms of finances - DSU can't expect the state to fund these ideas (and like you say they can't even agree to fund the Civic Center proposal). How they manage to fund the quite significant improvements to both the academic buildings and the athletic facilities is a mystery actually, and in the 10 year time frame you through out there. And all the while big neighbors like UD and Towson and JMU and most of the CAA make significant improvements to theirs. I don't see how the gap closes in the next decade unless there's a lot of #5 for the Hornets to win that title.

YoUDeeMan
June 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

DSURocks07 - you have been a fantastic poster for DSU! xnodx It is sad that there aren't more fans of your team; it would be nice to see both Delaware schools supported.

Unfortunately, DSU will not be going to FBS land anytime soon. As you pointed out, the graduates aren't giving back to the school. DSU is working hard to improve their academics (with resistance from the typical village idiots), but even if some current students and football fans graduate soon and get good jobs, they won't be in their prime earning years for quite some time. Hard to build a program without funds or fan/alumni support.

As mentioned, the state will not shell out dozens of millions to improve facilities to support a move to FBS without any real fan support or a plan that demonstrates a financial windfall. I don't agree that the "civic center" would have been profitable – there were a lot of “ifs” in that proposal. "Build it and they will come" hasn't worked for the Wilmington waterfront. Since then, the economy has tanked and there won’t be a lot of extra “fun” money for the state to throw in DSU’s direction for quite some time

All in all, DSU is left to wait a long time before any real changes occur. They can change if they set realistic goals, but 10 years is not enough to bring DSU to the FBS level. 100 years won’t be enough if their internal enemies don’t wise up and let the school change for the better.

Lavan won't be around for long :( and it will be hard to replace him with another quality coach unless the school and fans show a commitment to football. Hard to do with all of the above issues.

DSUrocks07
June 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
DSURocks07 - you have been a fantastic poster for DSU! xnodx It is sad that there aren't more fans of your team; it would be nice to see both Delaware schools supported.

Unfortunately, DSU will not be going to FBS land anytime soon. As you pointed out, the graduates aren't giving back to the school. DSU is working hard to improve their academics (with resistance from the typical village idiots), but even if some current students and football fans graduate soon and get good jobs, they won't be in their prime earning years for quite some time. Hard to build a program without funds or fan/alumni support.

As mentioned, the state will not shell out dozens of millions to improve facilities to support a move to FBS without any real fan support or a plan that demonstrates a financial windfall. I don't agree that the "civic center" would have been profitable – there were a lot of “ifs” in that proposal. "Build it and they will come" hasn't worked for the Wilmington waterfront. Since then, the economy has tanked and there won’t be a lot of extra “fun” money for the state to throw in DSU’s direction for quite some time

All in all, DSU is left to wait a long time before any real changes occur. They can change if they set realistic goals, but 10 years is not enough to bring DSU to the FBS level. 100 years won’t be enough if their internal enemies don’t wise up and let the school change for the better.

Lavan won't be around for long :( and it will be hard to replace him with another quality coach unless the school and fans show a commitment to football. Hard to do with all of the above issues.

Trust me...it will be a LONG time before we should even consider making that jump. But for now, having a couple FCS national championships (Not FBS or BCS if you read it wrong) would be a realistic 10 year goal, considering were coming off of a MEAC title.

I agree Lavan is no spring "Hornet" (no chickens around here GannonFan xpeacex ) but he does have us on the right track and I feel that if he can develop a system that he can teach to his coaching staff that it would form a line of succession if he were to retire or move up to a more lucrative coaching position.

I don't subscribe to the "build it and they will come theory" but i do believe that with the current gas situation ($4.00/gal+) having a local civic center in a central location as Dover will be very cost-effective to those who are interested in entertainment options and don't want to drive to Philadelphia or Baltimore to see it. The problem is that the powers-that-be are too backwards-azzed to realize this. We don't need the millions from the state, IMO the "Civic Center Corp." needs to look more into corporate sponsorships (both local and regional) and private investment (Alumni NEEDS to step it up in this department). Thats whats gonna get that project off the ground

Sorry I've been away for a while...caught a stomach virus :(

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Trust me...it will be a LONG time before we should even consider making that jump. But for now, having a couple FCS national championships (Not FBS or BCS if you read it wrong) would be a realistic 10 year goal, considering were coming off of a MEAC title.

I agree Lavan is no spring "Hornet" (no chickens around here GannonFan xpeacex ) but he does have us on the right track and I feel that if he can develop a system that he can teach to his coaching staff that it would form a line of succession if he were to retire or move up to a more lucrative coaching position.

I don't subscribe to the "build it and they will come theory" but i do believe that with the current gas situation ($4.00/gal+) having a local civic center in a central location as Dover will be very cost-effective to those who are interested in entertainment options and don't want to drive to Philadelphia or Baltimore to see it. The problem is that the powers-that-be are too backwards-azzed to realize this. We don't need the millions from the state, IMO the "Civic Center Corp." needs to look more into corporate sponsorships (both local and regional) and private investment (Alumni NEEDS to step it up in this department). Thats whats gonna get that project off the ground

Sorry I've been away for a while...caught a stomach virus :(
This is very important, and winning doesn't always make it happen. Also your administration and athletic department must be smart and make well timed moves. Don't shoot off your nose in spite of your face as we did in Baton Rouge.

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

bet that got your attention...

Ever since that debacle against UD on national television, I've been looking back at DSU's season and the strides that we have made in the Lavan era. And looking forward I believe that DSU has the potential of growing into a regional if not national power in FCS.

2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

And for you CliffNoters out there, this thread will have nothing to do with "OMFG Delaware State needs to playz YouDee OVER 9000 times lololol!!!111!" xrotatehx or MEAC-hating or anything like that, I hope to have a somewhat of a legitimate discussion on mainly Del St. but also on how other lesser known schools can also become successful at the FCS level.

HORNET LAD.......WHAT YA'LL CALL LUCK........I'D CALL TRADITION....LUCK GETS YA UH SHOT EVERAH SO OFTEN......TRADITION GUARANTEES...YER IN DUH HUNT...YEAR IN YEAR OUT...xnodx ....BRAWK!

Seawolf97
June 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Breaking News

xreadx

Couldnt agree with you more. It seems you have your priorities right and maybe just patience as the university executes its plans. Ten years sems like a long time but stick with it and good luck.

YoUDeeMan
June 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
2) Coaching
3) Recruiting
4) Fan/Alumni Support
5) Luck

It is great to see McCants step up and give back to DSU. xnodx xthumbsupx xbowx

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/SPORTS08/806060341/1002/SPORTS

"McCants, who went on to play wide receiver for the Washington Redskins and the Eagles, announced Thursday that he is establishing a $10,000 scholarship fund for students attending DSU.

"I've been blessed to play in the NFL, so I give back," McCants said. "I'm coming back to Delaware State to make a change. I made a couple of million dollars [playing in the NFL]. ... What am I going to do with that money? I wanted to give back.

"Now, I just would like to see every alumnus of black colleges take a chance and follow my lead."