View Full Version : Great read for Georgia Southern fans

McNeese_beat
June 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
I ran across this on a sports writers' message board and I thought Georgia Southern fans would appreciate it.

It was posted by Dave Kindred, who's one of the best in the business and it's an ode to Van McKenzie, the long-time sports editor at various large dailies who died of cancer early last year. The GSU tie to the story is great. As somebody on that board said, this may be the single greatest sports writing story I've ever read:
-------------------------------------
So Roger Maris dies. It's Dec. 14, 1985. Van's at the height of his powers in Atlanta.

Ed Hinton is one of 3 AJC'ers assigned to a Georgia Southern national championship football game in Tacoma.

"Eddie, on your way to Tacoma," Van says, "stop in North Dakota for Maris's funeral."

On his way? "Van, Fargo's not on the way to anywhere."

Van says, "It's out there somewhere. Just go. Get me a prize-winner."

It's mid-December, the great plains, 20-below, -59 wind chill, snow 8' high along the road from the Fargo airport to the one Holiday Inn in town.

Fast Eddie's at the bar, looking for grizzled Yankees from 1961. Plays some $2 blackjack, legal in North Dakota. Sees Bob Allison. Who needs Bob Allison? Now he sees Whitey Ford, a sighting that sets off the newshound alarms in Eddie's brain while also reminding him, "Ford hates the media. Like to tell us, 'Go **** in your hat.'" But you can't fly from Atlanta to Fargo, see Whitey Ford in a bar the day before Roger Maris's funeral, and not move on him.

Only, when Eddie looks up, Ford's walking out of the bar. And now Eddie's in pursuit, 30 feet behind, trailing him "at detective distance." Sees Ford go into a big banquet room, dark, the door open. "And there was every Yankee from the '61 team. Maybe not Yogi. But every other one. Richardson, Duren. They're not drinking because Richardson's a Baptist preacher and Duren's a recovering alcholic. There's Mantle. He's swaying. "Serendipitously," Eddie says, "Clete Boyer's there. And I know Clete 'cause he ended his career in Atlanta. I shout at him and he says, 'Eddie, come on in.' Clete's with Mantle. My God. Ford wants me to **** in my hat, Mantle's swaying, and I'm hearing Van in my head, 'Bring me back a prize-winner.'"

"No, no, no," Mantle says to Hinton. Boyer intervenes. "C'mon, Mick, Ed's a good guy." Mantle reconsiders and says, "Before you take that notebook out, let me get one thing straight with you." Hinton nods to Mantle, who says, "I'sh am not drrrrrunk."

Boyer puts one condition on the interview. Hinton has to drink with them. Boyer: triple vodkas. Hinton: double Scotches. Boyer's comment on Hinton's doubles: "Pussy."

Stories galore. Maris, the great guy, great player, great teammate, misunderstood, terrible the way he died. Mantle says he sent Maris to the same cancer hospital in Dallas that treated his son. As they talk, Hinton notices a thick icy glaze on the banquet-room windows, dead-ass winter as dead-ass as winter gets, so he asks Mantle, "Those '61 Bronx Bombers -- you ever think Roger Maris would wind up in a place like this?" Mantle's expression doesn't change. Tears slide down his cheeks. "I want to go back to Commerce," he says. Boyer says, "I just took my brother Ken back to the Ozarks." Another round here, barkeep.

Prize-winning stuff -- if Hinton can remember any of it in the morning. Can he remember it? With the Gen. George S. Patton of Sports Editors waiting for the story -- that's what Eddie called Van, "Patton" -- damn straight he's going to remember it. Drinks 'til 4 a.m. starts writiing for the Journal's afternoon cycle. "We were in a 24-hour news cycle, and Van wanted it as soon as you had it."

Later that morning at the graveside, a school bus arrives. It delivers reporters from the Times and other New York media outlets. Here's what Van's hungover/done-writing/it's-in-the-paper prize-winning man in North Dakota thought of that moment: "All you New York sumbitches, your asses are beat."

On to Tacoma, but stuck in Denver, a blizzard. Hinton, exhausted, flu's coming, calls Van: "We got 2 other guys going to Tacoma, can I come home?"

Van says 1 guy is driving through Oregon in a snowstorm. Other guy is stuck in San Francisco fog. "You gotta go, Eddie," Van says. "I figure 1 of the 3 of you will get there, I just don't know which one."

Week later, after covering the funeral in North Dakota and the game in Tacoma, Hinton, with the flu, comes to the office.

"I hope you know what I went through," Hinton says to Van. "But I got you your prize-winner."

"See, Eddie," the big man says. "When you get good assignments, you get good stories."

Hinton's Maris coverage won first place in spot news in APSE judging that year.

McNeese_beat
June 2nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Here's Ed Hinton's story on the Maris funeral...maybe one of the GSU fans can dig up what he produced in Tacoma...

---
By Ed Hinton
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FARGO, N.D. - It was late on the night before Roger Maris' funeral. At Fargo's only Holiday Inn, wet-eyed Whitey Ford and Moose Skowron shot a game of pool and Mickey Mantle and Clete Boyer stood at the bar and had "a drink for Roger," as Boyer said when the bartender delivered the second round - or third or fourth - of many rounds the old New York Yankees would have on this frozen Wednesday night which had warmed to five below, up 12 degrees from morning. Ryne Duren, long off the bottle, ordered Coke after Coke - doubles -and they all drank to Roger, eyes sadder with this round, merrier with the next, sad again with the next, joyous with the next, and so on, into the night.

Did they think it odd, these one-time Bombers from the Bigtown, that Roger, one year the biggest bomber of them all, would ask to be brought home and buried in this place so far from where he lived his last years in Florida, this place that in so many ways is the farthest place on earth from New York?

Mantle thought, misted up again, then shook his head slowly:

"No. I think he'd want to go where he came from. I'd probably like to go back to Commerce, Oklahoma."

"I took my brother home," Boyer said of the burial of Ken Boyer in rural Misso uri. "I think we all want to go home."

"It's hard for me to talk about this," said Mantle, who'd been in virtual seclusion since Maris' death last Saturday and even on Wednesday night had slipped quickly and quietly through the hotel lobby on his way to and from a prayer service for Maris at St. Mary's Cathedral. "You don't know what to say about this. What the hell do you say?"

Mantle, though he'd known Maris was seriously ill, had not been able to prepare himself for the shock of Saturday evening, for "I still thought he was going to make it."

Mantle and Boyer grieved the most among the old Yankees, for Mantle had been Maris' home-run twin that year, far closer to the other of the M&M Boys of '61 than the press had let the public realize, and Boyer had been in deed, if not in fact, a brother to Maris during that best and worst of years for Roger.

"I talked him into going to M.D. Anderson (the Houston hospital where Maris died)," Mantle said. "I'd taken my son (Billy) there after he'd been given a 25 percent chance to live."

Mantle's son had been rescued from Hodgkin's disease at the clinic. Mantle had hoped for another rescue, for his friend who'd broken Babe Ruth's record with 61 home runs in '61, while Mantle himself, who'd been on a parallel homer tear that year, had been injured that September and stalled at 54.

"I'm sure if Roger'd had a chance, he'd have made it," Mantle said of the last hospitalization for experimental cancer treatment.

But "it was all over by then," Boyer said. "After we saw Roger in May, in Gainesville (Fla.), I told my wife she'd probably never see Roger again. I saw how he'd deteriorated, how his muscles were gone. I'd just been through it a couple of years earlier with my brother. You can see it coming.

"I felt in my heart that Roger told me then," Boyer said. "Roger gave me some mementos he'd been saving just for us, just for that '61 Yankee team. A man can't come out and say, `Look, I'm dying.' But I saw him, and I felt like it was all over."

And then, just as the sadness welled again, from over near the pool table came a joyful chorus of "Happy Birthday," led by Whitey Ford, directed at Moose Skowron. Bill Skowron, who batted fifth in the Yankee lineup of '61 in the South Bronx - Maris hit third, Mantle fourth -turned 55 this frozen Wednesday in North Dakota.

The highs and lows ebbed and flowed this night for old Bronx Bombers just back from St. Mary's, where when the priest called for individuals to come forward to articulate their own reflections on Roger Maris' life, Bobby Richardson nudged Clete Boyer and said, "You were closest to Roger and his family. You go up and speak for the ballclub."

The old third baseman, urged by the old second baseman, had got up, terrified, in front of 500 people and begun, "My name's Clete Boyer, and I was a teammate of Roger's. We were great friends." He'd gone on to try to tell a story of a doubleheader against the White Sox at Yankee Stadium in '61.

Back at the Holiday Inn, Boyer said, "Roger and I were brothers. Probably closer than brothers."

The deeply religious Richardson, who delivered the eulogy at Maris' funeral Mass, was - typical of Yankee road nights yore - in his hotel room rather than in the bar late Wednesday night.

But earlier, Richardson had surveyed the group as a bumpity school bus made its way over the icy streets of Fargo, among the head-high snowbanks, back from St. Mary's. On the yellow bus provided by Shanley High School, where Roger had starred in football and track, Richardson had wished for the presence of Tony Kubek, the Yankee shortstop of '61 who wasn't here due to commitments in the Dominican Republic.

"If Tony were here," Richardson said, "we'd have a full team. We've got first (Skowron), second (Richardson), third (Boyer), and (Johnny) Blanchard could catch or play left."

Richardson had trailed off before mentioning Ford as the starting pitcher, Duren in the bullpen, Mantle in center.

And Maris in right.

Right field of Yankee Stadium had been the suffering spot of Roger Maris' life, before he suffered in Gainesville and in Houston in the last months. The short right-field fence of the time - 295 feet down the line - had been held up by miffed media types as one crutch upon which Maris had built his record. And then in '62, as he'd stood there as a fielder, the Bronx bleacher bums, whipped t o a frenzy by said miffed media, had taunted him.

If the public of the time resented Maris' breaking of Ruth's record, it was due to one small misunderstanding that led to negative press down the stretch of the '61 home-run derby, Boyer reflected Wednesday night.

"You've got to remember that Roger was 26 years old and wanted to get into the World Series," Boyer said. "We were in first place by a percentage point when we went into Baltimore. Roger went 1-for-9 in a doubleheader. Afterward, a reporter came up and . . . well, he just put it wrong. He asked Roger if he wasn't choking. That makes you mad. Roger said, `I'm not talking to the press anymore.' Then it snowballed. It's like a tug of war. Nobody means anything bad. But it took 12 or 14 years f or everybody to get over it.

"Everybody who knew Roger - knew Roger - loved him," Boyer continued. "Not just respected him. Loved him."

Whitey Ford walked past with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face.

"I just wish," said Boyer, "Roger was here to laugh at us all."

Syntax Error
June 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Who is Maris and what are the Yankees? :p

Laserlips
June 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Good Story..xbawlingx

Thanks!

Jesse

dbackjon
June 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Great story!

terrierbob
June 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Great!

citdog
June 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Who is Maris and what are the Yankees? :p

the ones that we whipped during the War?xnodx xlolx xrotatehx :D xrulesx

terrierbob
June 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Good story by Chris Mortensen(sp?) at ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2743681&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

mebisonII
June 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Good story. Made me miss Fargo :)

If you're ever in Fargo (say, for a playoff game? xwhistlex ) stop in the West Acres Mall and take a look at the Roger Maris museum xpeacex

McNeese_beat
June 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
One subtle thing about the story that I think people can appreciate on this board was how Van McKenzie treated a game involving Georgia Southern. He sent three reporters to Tacoma.
Three.
Statesboro is not exactly Atlanta Metro. It's about three hours away. But McKenzie thought enough of the event to send THREE reporters to Tacoma for the championship game.

Do you think the Houston Chronicle would do that for Sam Houston State? Any of the Philly papers for Nova?

That jumped right out at me.

blueballs
June 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
One subtle thing about the story that I think people can appreciate on this board was how Van McKenzie treated a game involving Georgia Southern. He send three reporters to Tacoma.
Three.
Statesboro is not exactly Atlanta Metro. It's about three hours away. But McKenzie thought enough of the event to send THREE reporters to Tacoma for the championship game.

Do you think the Houston Chronicle would do that for Sam Houston State? Any of the Philly papers for Nova?

That jumped right out at me.

There was one reason for that and one reason only: Erk Russell, who was a legend at UGA before restarting the GSC program.

If GSU were to make it back to the NC game, even with middle GA native- and son of a GA HS coaching fixture- Chris Hatcher, that would never happen today. They'd be lucky to get three paragraphs... the only way the AJC will ever pimp GSU is this fall when they open at UGA, then only as the Dawgs foil.

Thundar
June 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Good story. Made me miss Fargo :)

If you're ever in Fargo (say, for a playoff game? xwhistlex ) stop in the West Acres Mall and take a look at the Roger Maris museum xpeacex

Figured I'd add this little Linky!!

http://www.rogermarismuseum.com/