PDA

View Full Version : Will Samford Drop Football in 5 Years?

elcid96
May 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Will Samford Drops it football Program in 5 years from the SOCON and become like Davidson, UNC-G or the College of Charleston. Albeit, Davidson still plays football, just not in the SOCON. What happens if there program never really takes off?

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM
They were a good team when they first joined I-AA. There's no reason to think they couldn't be again. If Elon can do it, they should be able to. xthumbsupx

Cocky
May 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Samford has already tried the drop football route. I doubt they would do it again.

Samford will be more competitive in the SOCON that most believe.

jonmac
May 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
When it's all said and done I think Samford will be just fine in the SoCon. Will they compete for the championship every year, probably not, but I think this move helps them. I think if they handle it properly they can increase recruiting because they are now in a stronger conference. They will have to step up to the commitment it takes to be competitive in a strong football conference. But then again, who knows, they could be the perpetual bottom dweller.

Jiggs
May 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Will Samford Drops it football Program in 5 years from the SOCON and become like Davidson, UNC-G or the College of Charleston. Albeit, Davidson still plays football, just not in the SOCON. What happens if there program never really takes off?

NO. Samford has already learned that lesson the hard way.

Samford is making serious commitments to athletics and I believe will be competitive in the SoCon. One thing that the SoCon does for Samford (among other things) is that Samford fans identify more with the SoCon schools than those in the OVC. With the exception of Jax State, it is hard for Samford fans to identify with or get excited about Eastern Illinois or SEMO. That is not a knock on those schools or the OVC, but rather just geography and regional identification. When you talk to Samford fans, they are very familiar with The Citadel, Furman, Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, etc. and are excited about developing rivalries with the SoCon schools.

bobbythekidd
May 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
NO. Samford has already learned that lesson the hard way.

Samford is making serious commitments to athletics and I believe will be competitive in the SoCon.
What sports does Samford field? THe SoCon site does not say.

AppAlum2003
May 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I heard their backgammon team was a force to be reckon with! xwhistlex

AppStateold299
May 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Their competitive four-square team supposedly won a championship last year. One NC out of the way...here comes football

Jiggs
May 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM

MEN: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis

WOMEN: Soccer, Basketball, Softball, Track, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis

Women won this year's OVC All-Sports Trophy. On the Men's side, SU placed third.

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/samf/genrel/auto_pdf/2007-08_OVC_AllSports

CID1990
May 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I doubt very seriously that doing poorly in the SoCon would cause a school to consider giving up football. Plus, moving from the OVC to the SoCon is not something that a school does if losing football is on the table.

Personally, for every football school we bring in I wish we would dump one of the Little Three.

EKU05
May 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I doubt very seriously that doing poorly in the SoCon would cause a school to consider giving up football. Plus, moving from the OVC to the SoCon is not something that a school does if losing football is on the table.

Personally, for every football school we bring in I wish we would dump one of the Little Three.

Yeah, because what has Davidson done to make the league look good lately? xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
May 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah, because what has Davidson done to make the league look good lately? xsmiley_wixYep. Nothing. xcoffeex

AppAlum2003
May 30th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yep. Nothing. xcoffeex

Seriously, though... NOTHING is correct. Their run last year put THEM in the spotlight. Ask 100 people which conference Davidson is in... maybe 20 get it right.

zilla
May 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM

What would be the protocol for a league to dismiss a member? Could an ultimatum be issued to a non-football school? Has this type of thing ever happened?

Just curious.

EKU05
May 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Seriously, though... NOTHING is correct. Their run last year put THEM in the spotlight. Ask 100 people which conference Davidson is in... maybe 20 get it right.

And you think it would be a whole lot better than that for any other team in the SoCon? Most people know who App is now, but I bet most of them still couldn't name their conference.

dbackjon
May 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
What would be the protocol for a league to dismiss a member? Could an ultimatum be issued to a non-football school? Has this type of thing ever happened?

Just curious.

ETSU mean anything?

zilla
May 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
ETSU mean anything?

xlolx
OK, besides ETSU.

Eyes of Old Main
May 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Just curious.

It can happen and has happened. Davidson was forced to leave the SoCon when they first downgraded their program. They quit scheduling SoCon teams and they were told to participate or get out. They got out. Unfortunately, three years later, the SoCon caved and let them back in. People can say whatthey want about RPIs, etc., the SoCon would be a better league all-around if the three non-football members were shown the door.

Eyes of Old Main
May 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
What happens if there program never really takes off?

Then they'll be like most of the other teams that have had prolonged bad stretches. Wofford got better, you guys are getting better, Elon finally got better, I believe WCU is finally on the track to getting better. Chattanooga and VMI might be the exceptions, but for the most part, time takes care of these issues. Samford might not win immediately, but they'll be OK.

CID1990
May 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I could personally give two *****S about the SoCon's reputation in this strange sport you people call basketball.

Tell you what, EKU... we'll trade you Davidson for your worst football team and we'll be the overall winners in the trade.

bobbythekidd
May 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I could personally give two *****S about the SoCon's reputation in this strange sport you people call basketball.

Tell you what, EKU... we'll trade you Davidson for your worst football team and we'll be the overall winners in the trade.
This from the school that fields the fewest teams in the conference. HMMM, why is that?

CID1990
May 31st, 2008, 12:40 AM
This from the school that fields the fewest teams in the conference. HMMM, why is that?

Because we don't yet have the full range of women's sports yet, Genius.

bobbythekidd
May 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Because we don't yet have the full range of women's sports yet, Genius.
I know that.xrolleyesx You misunderstood what I meant, or I was unclear. What i meant, was that if you want to start booting the "small fries" as far as conference sports are concerned, you would boot GSU, UTC, and The Citadel. We 3 field the fewest sports.

Even Samford is a bigger asset to the conference as far as the conference is concerned. I say keep the schools, just pressure them (us) to be a bigger player.xpeacex

appsfan
May 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM
It can happen and has happened. Davidson was forced to leave the SoCon when they first downgraded their program. They quit scheduling SoCon teams and they were told to participate or get out. They got out. Unfortunately, three years later, the SoCon caved and let them back in. People can say whatthey want about RPIs, etc., the SoCon would be a better league all-around if the three non-football members were shown the door.

Why would dropping them make the SoCon a better conference? Would it make it easier for you to win conference championships in other sports? For instance, UNCG has won SoCon Championships in Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, and Soccer (Ranked #1 in the nation at one time.) Other than football, they have been shown to be competitive in all sports.

woffordgrad94
May 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about Wofford winning conference championships in other sports than football for a long time, with or without the non-football members. A sad thing for me to post, but also very true. Many of our programs are in no position to compete favorably in the SoCon, and the reasons for that are too many to go into right now.

Mountaineer
May 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Didn't Wofford win the SoCon baseball tournament last year? Fairly impressve and more than ASU baseball can say......going on 20+ years or so. xbawlingx

CID1990
May 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Why would dropping them make the SoCon a better conference? Would it make it easier for you to win conference championships in other sports? For instance, UNCG has won SoCon Championships in Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, and Soccer (Ranked #1 in the nation at one time.) Other than football, they have been shown to be competitive in all sports.

So you don't think that not having to drop valuable athletic department resources into a football program has anything to do with this?

There IS a connection, folks.

Mountaineer
May 31st, 2008, 06:49 PM
So you don't think that not having to drop valuable athletic department resources into a football program has anything to do with this?

Oh, absolutely. That's what chaps me about Davidson, UNCG and Charleston. xnonono2x

There is a definite advantage in other sports by not funding football.

EKU05
May 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Oh, absolutely. That's what chaps me about Davidson, UNCG and Charleston. xnonono2x

That is a very valid point. Morehead State is about to do major rennovations of their basketball arena while EKU's McBrayer Arena (built in 1962) is probably going to have to wait another 8 years or so for what would honestly be its first major overhaul. I've wondered how much, if any, that has to do with the fact that they spend much less on football than we do.

Still, ultimately each school has its own specific set of circumstances that come with inherent advantages and disadvantges. The game of running of running an athletics program is figuring out what you can and caannot reasonably be successful at and then doing just that. So if nothing else, you have to give a school like Davidson or Morehead State some kind of credit for playing the hand they were dealt reasonably well.

For a long time I was in the camp of most EKU fans of wanting and OVC expansion to come in the form of a school with a decent football program. But the more that seems like it's not in the cards the more I think it would be in the best interest of the conference to take on a school like Belmont or Lipscomb (which seem like real possibilties) in order to up the ante in hoops.

CID1990
May 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM

That's why I say PLAY FOOTBALL and then we'll see how well you do in baseball and basketball. My bet is that Davidson and cofc would be basement dwellers in all three sports. UNCG would do a little better than them.

ASU
May 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM
That is a very valid point. Morehead State is about to do major rennovations of their basketball arena while EKU's McBrayer Arena (built in 1962) is probably going to have to wait another 8 years or so for what would honestly be its first major overhaul. I've wondered how much, if any, that has to do with the fact that they spend much less on football than we do.

Still, ultimately each school has its own specific set of circumstances that come with inherent advantages and disadvantges. The game of running of running an athletics program is figuring out what you can and caannot reasonably be successful at and then doing just that. So if nothing else, you have to give a school like Davidson or Morehead State some kind of credit for playing the hand they were dealt reasonably well.

For a long time I was in the camp of most EKU fans of wanting and OVC expansion to come in the form of a school with a decent football program. But the more that seems like it's not in the cards the more I think it would be in the best interest of the conference to take on a school like Belmont or Lipscomb (which seem like real possibilties) in order to up the ante in hoops.

EKU is well thought of in football.....Looks like the school of Roy Kidd would win the OVC about every year....why is that not happening?

gophoenix
May 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
That's why I say PLAY FOOTBALL and then we'll see how well you do in baseball and basketball. My bet is that Davidson and cofc would be basement dwellers in all three sports. UNCG would do a little better than them.

Even so, Davidson is the worst funded baseball program in the SoCon with 2 scholarships.

JaxSinfonian
June 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
EKU is well thought of in football.....Looks like the school of Roy Kidd would win the OVC about every year....why is that not happening?

Because there are other strong programs in the conference, and a few that can pull off the occasional surprise win to mix up the title race.

The only way it looks like EKU should win the conference every year is if you're not really looking.

The recent talk of adding North Alabama has lifted my spirits. If they can pull the resources together to make the leap, they'd be a great addition to OVC football. (Consider that JSU's first year in the league, when the Gamecocks creamed EKU and mowed through most of the rest of the league on the way to the title, they handed Jax State a big fat L at home. Jerks.) I just hope we're still in the league to enjoy it if they join.

CID1990
June 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Even so, Davidson is the worst funded baseball program in the SoCon with 2 scholarships.

That's even more evidence that if you want to be like Davidson in basketball, then you have to sandbag the other sports. Screw that.

That's why when people in the SoCon crow about Davidson in basketball it drives me up the wall. If ASU or GSU canned football and dumped all those resources into basketball, Davidson would never beat them.

appsfan
June 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM

Fair points you raise, however, it was the SoCon that issued the invitation to join the conference. As far as football goes, you won't see football in my lifetime there. UNCG is still saddled with too many female alums (Women's College of the UNC days), an AD happy with the status quo, and an ACC city. Did your school vote for admitting C of C and UNCG?

woffordgrad94
June 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Didn't Wofford win the SoCon baseball tournament last year? Fairly impressve and more than ASU baseball can say......going on 20+ years or so. xbawlingx

Yes, we got lucky and won the SoCon baseball tourney last year. But we hired a bonehead coach, finished next-to-last this year, and have little hope for the future in baseball. ASU is better in baseball and every other sport, including football (we've beaten you, but you guys have NCs and we don't) than Wofford is.

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Samford has already tried the drop football route. I doubt they would do it again.

Samford will be more competitive in the SOCON that most believe.

Not this year. They will probably get better, but they won't be very competitive in the SoCon this year.

They were like 1 - 20 last year in the OVC, and are moving up to the SoCon. Good luck with that. Just exactly who in the SoCon do you see them beating? Even WCU will be greatly improved from last year.

sugrad04
June 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Considering the fact that we're about to begin construction on a brand new football facility, I would say the program is headed in the right direction.

elcid96
June 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Considering the fact that we're about to begin construction on a brand new football facility, I would say the program is headed in the right direction.

Thats good news. Any pics or drawings to show what it is going to look like?

OLDMAIN80
June 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I am looking forward to having Samford on the schedule. Much closer to B'ham than Sparkle City. SUGRAD, I'll be looking for some homeyxcoolx info about B'ham prior to my trip up there this season. I know a few SU grads here (my sister in law being one) so I've got some SOCON smack going on.xthumbsupx

jaxstatealum
June 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Ummm... cause of us and EIU ;)

Gamecocks99
June 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Samford is not building a New Stadium ! But they are building a 2 story field house in the South End Zone. Samford's Seibert Stadium only holds 6,700 fans. Per the sport info director at Samford there is no plans at this time to add more seating with the addition of the field house. When Jax State has played at Samford's Seibert Stadium better known to the JSU nation as Paul Snow West. In the past we have had crowds of 10,000 plus. The largest crowd ever for Samford is when QB Steve McNair in 1994 of Alcorn State drew a crowd of 11,189. You guys have a beautiful campus. But, the seating in Seibert Stadium really needs to be expanded.

Jiggs
June 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
No one said that Samford was building a new stadium.

The football field house will be a three-story building in the south end zone. The track will be removed and a new track and field facility will be built on Samford property on the other side of Lakeshore Drive.

I'm sure the seating will be expanded when a consistent need is shown. No need to have a lot of empty seats, like JSU, just to be able to brag about stadium size.

That consistent need will probably become more apparent as Samford will be playing conference games against opponents that people in the Birmingham area can indentify with.

Gamecocks99
June 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
No one said that Samford was building a new stadium.

The football field house will be a three-story building in the south end zone. The track will be removed and a new track and field facility will be built on Samford property on the other side of Lakeshore Drive.

I'm sure the seating will be expanded when a consistent need is shown. No need to have a lot of empty seats, like JSU, just to be able to brag about stadium size.

That consistent need will probably become more apparent as Samford will be playing conference games against opponents that people in the Birmingham area can indentify with.

The Sports Info Director said this morning they were not sure if they were going to add the third story or not. But if they did it would be for a hall of fame and the entertainment of donors to the program.

In regard to seating it is better to have more than enough seating when you have invited guest to Seibert Stadium than to invite people to your home stadium and then tell them they will need to stand or set on the grass Or like most JSU fan, we knew if we did not get to the stadium early we would need to bring a lawn chair with us. Not having enough seating is like having a dinner party without having enough food for your guest.

Jiggs
June 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
From 4/30/08 press release: "Trustees approved a recommendation to add a third level to a previously-approved football field house."

Maybe if you only brought half of your band, that would free up a couple of thousand seats.xlolx

Gamecocks99
June 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
From 4/30/08 press release: "Trustees approved a recommendation to add a third level to a previously-approved football field house."

Maybe if you only brought half of your band, that would free up a couple of thousand seats.xlolx

If I remember correctly we have a 300 plus member band.

But you guys know that Samford has the $$$ to add the needed seating in the north part of the stadium to complete a horse shoe shaped stadium that would flow into your new field house. It would more than double your seating and look great !

OL FU
June 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I always hate to see rivalries end that inspire this much hatredxthumbsupx :)

jaxstatealum
June 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Me too, especially when you are on the winning end of the rivalry :D xwhistlex

Gamecocks99
June 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM

We also miss playing Furman and hope to be able to play you guys again in the near future. xnodx

OL FU
June 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
We also miss playing Furman and hope to be able to play you guys again in the near future. xnodx

The last two were definitely heart attack makers. I have been on the side of being certain my team won to watched it be snatched away. So I know the glee and the heartbreak. xnodx They both were exciting games.