PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Poll

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Sports Network Poll (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm)

Hansel
October 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
9 first place votes for Hampton, 6 votes for Dayton, I think this poll is the worst of the three

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM
9 first place votes for Hampton, 6 votes for Dayton, I think this poll is the worst of the three
Worst of what three? I can pick apart any poll and find mistakes... this weeks SN poll dont look that bad.

Hansel
October 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
AGS, Coaches, TSN

I'll go with AGS>Coaches>TSN

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
9 first place votes for Hampton, 6 votes for Dayton
Wow, you scared the crap out of me.... I read that as 6 first place votes for Dayton. :eek:

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
AGS, Coaches, TSN

I'll go with AGS>Coaches>TSN
Ill go with they all have their problems.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Some voters still not giving Cal Poly their due. 12 first place votes, and still only sixth.

CatFan22
October 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Some voters still not giving Cal Poly their due. 12 first place votes, and still only sixth.

They are #1 in my book. I don't see the griz being 2 either.

TigerFan17
October 10th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Towson at 34 :eek:

Well, I know I wouldn't have bet on it. I predicted being 2-4 at this point...now after this weekend against Liberty, we'll likely be 5-2! :eek:

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
TSN has the worst homers

The worst. I'd agree. But I'd have to say without a doubt the AGS has the most. But I love it when it ranks my team higher than it deserves.

bluehenbillk
October 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM
cmon Ralph don't ignore the obvious, 58 1st place votes for SIU??? I'm still waiting for their 1st impressive win of the season.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM
AGS Poll has BY FAR the LEAST.

How did you come to the conclusion of which poll has the most / least amount of homers?

The argument could be made that all of the polls offer their own unique flavor and they should be used together and not pitted against each other.

I don't think there is any argument that TSN and USAToday are the most respected polls - some schools don't even refer to the AGS rankings.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
EIGHT FIRST PLACE VOTES FOR HAMPTON!!! They wouldn't break my top 20! I don't pit the polls against each other for the reason you stated. TSN and the coaches polls are the longest running, AGS is only in the second year but I cluck my tongue at the old ones more than at the AGS one.

Could it be that since the TSN has more voters that it is logical to assume that they would give Hampton more votes?

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM
You missed my point which you seem to agree with. SIU had 58 in the TSN poll, they are 4th in AGS.

I gotcha Ralph, and I agree. I think AGS is the best when it comes to homers. I have three BSC teams in my poll, none higher than #7. A couple of weeks ago I had five BSC teams in my poll. Now, I have five Gateway schools. It seems the Gateway is right now where the BSC was about two weeks ago. The Gateway is still so deep and up for grabs, but the Sky seems to be falling right back into its usual standings.

AGS pollers are the best. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Could it be that since the TSN has more voters that it is logical to assume that they would give Hampton more votes?

Yes, but NINE first place votes?! More than Furman or JMU!!! Nearly as many as WKU and Cal-Poly?! :eek: :eek:

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Yes, but NINE first place votes?! More than Furman or JMU!!! Nearly as many as WKU and Cal-Poly?! :eek: :eek:

I'm not saying it is correct - but different strokes for different folks.

Hell - AGS had someone giving Harvard a #1 - maybe others feel undefeated teams are the best team as well.

My point to all of this is that we should use all 3 polls as in the end there is not one true opinion.

rcny46
October 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I officially wash my hands of polls.How in the heck can anyone place UNH ahead of William and Mary after the Tribe literally took them apart in all phases of the game? It's ridiculous.

FlyBoy8
October 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM
EIGHT FIRST PLACE VOTES FOR HAMPTON!!! They wouldn't break my top 20!

HU shouldn't be getting first-place votes, but the way things have gone this year, I don't see how you leave them out of the top 20. They've had an easy schedule, yeah, but nobody else in the country has beaten six I-AA teams. And it's not like they're squeaking by either - look at their average margin of victory. They have yet to win by less than two scores.

Hampton isn't No. 1, but I think they could hang with the big boys. Depending on matchups, I can see them winning a game this postseason.

mainejeff
October 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Delaware and Lehigh should thank their lucky stars that they are still in the Top 25.

slostang
October 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
How does Poly receive 12 first place vote and end up at number six. I am not complaining about where they are at number six, just that with that many first place votes there must have been a few votes having them higher than number ten. I really feel that anyone that does not have Poly in their top ten does not have a educated vote.

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Delaware and Lehigh should thank their lucky stars that they are still in the Top 25.
NO WAY the Hens should be in the Top 25. Too many people voting on history and not paying attention. This team will struggle to get to 6-5 or even 5-6.

Hansel
October 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
10/8 Hampton over Gardner-Webb 52-21 :)

AZGrizFan
October 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
They are #1 in my book. I don't see the griz being 2 either.

You never do... ;)

SunCoastBlueHen
October 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I agree, neither team should be in the top 25.

Coastal89
October 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
More than half the top 25 (among others) would be 6-0 with that schedule

The same could be said about being 5-1 with this schedule so why is YSU so highly touted?

09/01/05 Slippery Rock ( 2-4 ) 44-14
09/10/05 Northeastern ( 1-4 ) 35-16
09/17/05 at Liberty ( 1-5 ) 42- 0
09/24/05 at Pittsburgh ( 2-4 ) 0-41
10/01/05 Illinois St ( 3-3 ) 20-17
10/08/05 at Indiana St ( 0-6 ) 45- 0

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
The same could be said about being 5-1 with this schedule so why is YSU so highly touted?

The difference is that there are three teams on YSU's schedule that may prove their rating or get them un-rated. Only team on Hampton's schedule is SC State and then whoever they draw in the playoffs.

FlyYtown
October 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM

YSU HATER. Every week you all say well we will see in the coming weeks if they are for real. Now we are 5-1; what more do we need to do. Chances are good we will be 7-1; but you will still say: DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. THEY HAVE FACED NOONE!

Catch the Guins a BREAK.. THEY ARE REALLLLLLLLLLLY GOOD.

GannonFan
October 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
YSU HATER. Every week you all say well we will see in the coming weeks if they are for real. Now we are 5-1; what more do we need to do. Chances are good we will be 7-1; but you will still say: DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. THEY HAVE FACED NOONE!

Catch the Guins a BREAK.. THEY ARE REALLLLLLLLLLLY GOOD.

I gotta lean towards the skeptical side as well - Y St hasn't played a soul yet so there's nothing to be found in that 5-1 record. Sure, they're probably better than they were last year, but there are 3 big measuring sticks in the Gateway, and they are UNI, SIU, and WKU. Unfortunately for YSU, those three come on consecutive weeks to end the season, with 2 of them on the road. Until you get there, you're just biding time.

Paladin1aa
October 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Well, we all know Towson's brutal reputation !! ;)

The fact is many teams have beaten D-IIs and I-AA non-schollies. Not many have played a brutal schedule and yet the losses are piling up.

Use whatever excuse you wish with YSU. Thats how we beat people. No one thinks we are good until we hand them their heads !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Long history of that here. THINKING the Guins are no good isn't the same thing as BEATING the Guins.

Coastal89
October 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Hampton would not be 6-0 with that schedule. Maybe 3-3, no smack intended at all.
I wasn't asking about Hampton.

Stang Fever
October 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
The difference is that there are three teams on YSU's schedule that may prove their rating or get them un-rated. Only team on Hampton's schedule is SC State and then whoever they draw in the playoffs.

if Poly actually makes it this year...I would cross my fingers to get Hampton...Would almost be a no brainer that the stangs would win

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Long history of that here. THINKING the Guins are no good isn't the same thing as BEATING the Guins.

2004 YSU starts 2-2, 2-5 after
2003 YSU starts 4-2, 1-5 after
2002 YSU starts 4-2, 3-2 after
2001 YSU starts 6-1, 2-2 after
1998 YSU starts 4-1, 2-4 after

Totals... 20-8 start, 10-18 down the stretch. Not saying that will happen this year, but that's a long history of that too.

CatFan22
October 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM
You never do... ;)

I do when they deserve it. They don't right now.

HIUguy08
October 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM
EIGHT FIRST PLACE VOTES FOR HAMPTON!!! They wouldn't break my top 20! I don't pit the polls against each other for the reason you stated. TSN and the coaches polls are the longest running, AGS is only in the second year but I cluck my tongue at the old ones more than at the AGS one.

He!! yeah EIGHT FIRST PLACE votes. They have to give credit to a team that comes away with a WIN week after week.

GO PIRATES!!!!!!!! 6-0

charliej
October 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Dayton is 6-0 too. :(

Ouch! Ralph sure knows how to kill a buzz. ;)

McNeese75
October 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM
if Poly actually makes it this year...I would cross my fingers to get Hampton...Would almost be a no brainer that the stangs would win

Geez, yall are starting to sound like Tx State Fans!!!! :D ;)

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Speaking of Hampton...I remember all of this being said about Lehigh and the Patriot league just a few years back...and then they started bitch slappin a few teams. :eek:

blackfordpu
October 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Wow, the SLC is represented well. Four teams with three at 23-25. Doesn't seem right with Sam Houston not in the mix as well. :o :(

skinny_uncle
October 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM
cmon Ralph don't ignore the obvious, 58 1st place votes for SIU??? I'm still waiting for their 1st impressive win of the season.
SIU was ranked second in last week's TSN poll. When they won and UNH (their former #1) lost, SIU was the logical choice. It will be temporary unless they Salukis keep winning. They have road games with WKU(3) and UNI(14) left. They also play Youngstown(17). Will any of these qualify as an impressive win in your book? It is not the Saluki's fault they have not played any of these teams yet as the Gateway sets up the conference portion of the schedule. The Salukis are one INT against a I-A team (Western Michigan 3-3) from being undefeated at this point. I'm not sure I would vote for them as #1 yet, but I could see where someone could.

osbormd
October 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
SIU deserves the #1 spot this week. Even with some of the best players injured they pulled off a road win Saturday against a decent Gateway team. The real tests will be at WKU and at UNI coming up, and then of course NDSU and YSU who aren't shabby!

If they win those 3, they deserve to keep the #1 spot and will have a good shot at the championship.

Anyone disagree?

siugrad99
October 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
We haven't played up to potential or hype to date. I think our ranking is too high, but if we do run the table which would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT then the ranking would be warranted. We are not a Top 10 ten now, but 4 weeks from now we might be. On the other hand we also might be on the outside lookin in at a Playoff spot 4 weeks from now also. There is no easy win the Gateway this season.

osbormd
October 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
We haven't played up to potential or hype to date. I think our ranking is too high

I agree about the top 10 - there are several teams that have yet to see a good test this year, but I think SIU has played to potential: we have a lot of good newbies this year, and they were just settling in until the WMU crapola game, and subsequently some injuries with Braden and now Arkee. Hopefully we'll get Arkee and others back this weekend and they stay healthy. I'm not sure when Jones comes back from his sprain.

We get to watch ISU-SIU on Fox College Sports this weekend. I'm thinking ISU is better than their record shows this year - almost an upset in OT against WKU and a narrow loss on the road at YSU. Plus, they can pass and will put our D to another good test!

ngineer
October 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Only because of all the craziness this year. With everyone winning big games, then turning around and losing big games, there are no clear cut "bottom" 15 teams.

ngineer
October 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Speaking of Hampton...I remember all of this being said about Lehigh and the Patriot league just a few years back...and then they started bitch slappin a few teams. :eek:

Very true. So here's hoping they get the chance to do same in the near future ;)

lugo02
October 10th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I want Cal Poly to draw a PL team.

Mustang Man
October 11th, 2005, 01:27 AM
I would LOVE for Poly to go up against Hampton or Lehigh. Perfect put up or shut up game.

Sam Adams
October 11th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Prediction: Many teams that have no lossess or just one loss now, will have several losses between now and the end of the season.

Worrying about poll rankings in Mid October is pointless because chances are there will be 3-5 upsets each and every week for the rest of the season. The only game that matters is your next game. The only rankings that matter are the final rankings.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I want Cal Poly to draw a PL team.

That would be just to perfect.......Beat up on a PL team so you can see how big the gap is...

colgate13
October 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM
That would be just to perfect.......Beat up on a PL team so you can see how big the gap is...

Oh Jesus H. Christ. :rolleyes: You've got to be kidding me. Oh well, go ahead and have that mentality. Unless of course you think Cal Poly is that much better than what the A-10 brings to the table. Because last year 2 PL teams played pretty darn well against the eventual I-AA champ and the previous I-AA champ. And the year before that, the PL team beat the A-10, the Gateway and a now I-A team. And the year before that, and the year before that...

What don't you get? The PL has been proving it on the field in the playoffs. We might not be the "strongest" conference out there, but you can rest assured that the PL team that makes it to the playoffs has every business being there.

Tod
October 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Oh Jesus H. Christ. :rolleyes: You've got to be kidding me. Oh well, go ahead and have that mentality. Unless of course you think Cal Poly is that much better than what the A-10 brings to the table. Because last year 2 PL teams played pretty darn well against the eventual I-AA champ and the previous I-AA champ. And the year before that, the PL team beat the A-10, the Gateway and a now I-A team. And the year before that, and the year before that...

What don't you get? The PL has been proving it on the field in the playoffs. We might not be the "strongest" conference out there, but you can rest assured that the PL team that makes it to the playoffs has every business being there.

Amen, brother. Cal-Poly fans are getting awefully cocky, aren't they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

SeattleGriz
October 11th, 2005, 09:14 PM
SIU deserves the #1 spot this week. Even with some of the best players injured they pulled off a road win Saturday against a decent Gateway team. The real tests will be at WKU and at UNI coming up, and then of course NDSU and YSU who aren't shabby!

If they win those 3, they deserve to keep the #1 spot and will have a good shot at the championship.

Anyone disagree?

2003 playoffs
Delaware 48 SIU 7

2004 playoffs
EWU 35 #1SIU 31

Seems as if the voters gave SIU a chance the last two years and they have underperformed. They do not deserve to be #1.

I will agree that they are #1 by default though. Just like the Griz have "worked" their way to #2 by being in the right place at the right time.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM

you are correct...that whoever wins the pl has every right 2 be there.....i focus on wins...i dont care if it is by 40 or by 1 point...if the game was over in the first quarter or after 5ot....when you loose you loose...so playing a team close or good..does not make the team good...until you beat those teams...and as you started to say was that you plaed those teams good...but lost...so when you win let me know

McNeese75
October 11th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Amen, brother. Cal-Poly fans are getting awefully cocky, aren't they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Hummm, I predict an early exit for CP from the playoffs this year (if they make it). That kind of attitude is usually the kiss of death :D LOL, I know, been there, done that :bang:

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Hummm, I predict an early exit for CP from the playoffs this year (if they make it). That kind of attitude is usually the kiss of death :D LOL, I know, been there, done that :bang:

IF we Make it....i think they can win...it always depends ont he match up......But hey we just want to make it there...first and then we focus on it...one game at a time....

slostang
October 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Are Cal Poly fans getting cocky? No, Stang Fever is cocky.

I was upset last year that Poly did not make the playoffs and felt Lehigh was the team that bumped Poly. I did not hold it against Lehigh, they had a nice season. I did hold it against the selection committee. I disagree with Stang Fever, there is a difference between a one point loss to the eventual champion and getting blown out by a team that is blown out in the second round. Stang Fever also said it is about match ups. Lehigh drew a tough one and represented both their school and conference well. Did they deserve a first round game if they were the 16th team selected? Probably not, but that is a topic for another thread.

If the playoffs started this weekend I feel Poly should not only make it but possibly be a top four seed. I also know that there is a lot of games left and that could change. One thing that I feel is that both the polls and the selection committee go to much on teams reputations and not enough of what they are doing that season. Here is to a great finish to the rest of the season.

DaGriz
October 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
it always depends ont he match up

Sometimes it depends on the homefield advantage. :D

colgate13
October 12th, 2005, 07:46 AM
until you beat those teams...and as you started to say was that you plaed those teams good...but lost...so when you win let me know

Well genius, I included the close losses because you claimed that the talent/competitive gap between Cal Poly and the PL's playoff representative(s) would be sooooooo great. PUH-LEASE.

Since you asked, we have won. Here's a history lesson:

Colgate 19 UMass 7
Colgate 28 Western Illinois 27
Colgate 36 Florida Atlantic 24

Fordham 29 Northeastern 24

Lehigh 27 Hofstra 24

Lehigh 27 Western Illinois 7

Lehigh 24 Richmond 23

Colgate 21 Boston University 7

Lehigh 28 Murray State 9

You should also know that the Patriot League did not compete in the playoffs for a period of time there, hence the absence of some great Holy Cross teams that would have one their fair share of games.

So, what's Cal Poly's playoff record? What's that? The silence is deafening. Now go bark up some other tree because this one ain't getting you anywhere.

:asswhip::asswhip::asswhip:xazzxxazzxxazzx:dizzy:

McNeese75
October 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
IF we Make it....i think they can win...it always depends ont he match up......But hey we just want to make it there...first and then we focus on it...one game at a time....

I would venture that every poster here whose team has been fortunate to make it to the final game will agree with me that it takes a lot of LUCK to go that far. Sh$t happens when the playoffs start. Weather (ask Umass or GSU), Home field (ask anyone going to Mizzo, GSU or DEL), Opponent location (and anyone who has tried to get to Western Illinios for a Dec playoff game), breaks of the game, and on and on.

Best bet for your team Stang is for them to get one of the top 2 seeds and make it to the finals on your home field, ONE GAME AT A TIME!! ;)