PDA

View Full Version : ASU/Furman in Sports Network Rankings

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
#16 ASU lost in the last 30 seconds at the #6 ranked Furman Paladins by 3 pts. Don't know if 3pts separates teams by 10 places or not, but it will be interesting to see how much ASU drops and if and how much Furman moves up. Needless to say, Furman can't go far since they're already close to the top.

Cocky
October 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
#16 ASU lost in the last 30 seconds at the #6 ranked Furman Paladins by 3 pts. Don't know if 3pts separates teams by 10 places or not, but it will be interesting to see how much ASU drops and if and how much Furman moves up. Needless to say, Furman can't go far since they're already close to the top.

Be careful, we dropped off the face of the Earth after a 2 point loss to FU. Our team hasn't recovered yet.

WUTNDITWAA
October 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I'll give you that. You would assume that the No. 6 team would beat the No. 16 team on its home field. Plus, if you kick in the three points for home field advantage, then statistically speaking, it was a draw. Credit to Furryman though. They've done this all season. Great teams find ways to win.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
If we move up it will be because teams ahead lost. I don't think ASU should fall much if at all. Besides that the pollsters have next week with the game in Boone to decide who should fall and how much.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM
If we move up it will be because teams ahead lost. I don't think ASU should fall much if at all. Besides that the pollsters have next week with the game in Boone to decide who should fall and how much.

I would totally agree. Don't think at 3 pt win at home vs a team 10 places lower should move you up..especially since Furman is already toward the top but it just might. By rights a 3 pt margin shouldn't equal a 10 place difference. So maybe the polls will simply adjust for it.

Would not be surprised at all though if App dropped a notch, since after all, it was a loss.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM
not to mention that they were inches away from tying the game

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Seems to me, after the first few weeks of the seasons teams move up because they win and the teams ahead of them lose. Almost everybody drops after a loss so yes ASU goes down some, but only if the teams around them did not get beat by a much lesser opponent and therefore might fall more than ASU. On the other hand, next week is a better indicator. If ASU losses, they drop a lot due to losing two in a row. If GSU losses then they drop because it brings into question whether they have righted the ship.

After all the talk of parity in the SoCon (and I do think it is more the case this year), the big three are in the top twently. A win or lose between the group should not cause much movement, except where the higher ranked team loses, but it will.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Seems to me, after the first few weeks of the seasons teams move up because they win and the teams ahead of them lose. Almost everybody drops after a loss so yes ASU goes down some, but only if the teams around them did not get beat by a much lesser opponent and therefore might fall more than ASU. On the other hand, next week is a better indicator. If ASU losses, they drop a lot due to losing two in a row. If GSU losses then they drop because it brings into question whether they have righted the ship.

After all the talk of parity in the SoCon (and I do think it is more the case this year), the big three are in the top twently. A win or lose between the group should not cause much movement, except where the higher ranked team loses, but it will.

either way, asu will move up after next weekend, depending on the outcome of the gsu game will determine how far a climb it is. if they lose next week, i imagine they will drop out of the top 25, but i think they will win out, which would put them in the top 20 by years end; if they win, i predict a top 10 finish, so we'll see what happens(same with gsu IMO) course, they have the furman game later, asu doesn't have anything big later on, except the jug game, and wcu isn't impressing me much anymore

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:44 PM

You said it all when you said, "but it will." If the poll was valid before the game, then an adjustment should be made moving App up for coming within 3 of a team 10 spots up.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
not to mention that they were inches away from tying the game

If the poll was any where near being valid, App shouldn't have been winning with 30 seconds left.

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM

ASU moved UP one!! #15 now! :eek: :eek:

That's probably a correct ranking, though it still seems odd. :)

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
ASU moved UP one!! #15 now! :eek: :eek:

That's probably a correct ranking, though it still seems odd. :)

Nope ASU DROPPED from 16th to 19th. Furman moved up from 6th to 5th.
Coastal, whom ASU beat by a bunch moved up without playing.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM

coastal is the biggest load of crap ever, and they will stay there too, b/c they play absolutely NOBODY for the rest of the season

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM

:o :o Need to pay more attention. Looking at different polls, different weeks, man... :o :o

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I love the SoCon and, (shall I draw the wrath of others?), think we have consistently produced the best in I-AA. But give me a break guys, they did beat JMU. I know some don't think much of SC State, but the polls rate them and CCU beat them in Orangeburg. The have played five games, three of which were against top 25 teams and beat two of them. Yep, ASU killed 'em.
But it is one game.

It used to be every thread turned into an A-10 is best thread. Now everyone turns into a let's bash CCU thread.

And looking back over this thread, not one Coastal Poster has been on this thread.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 02:59 PM
If the poll was any where near being valid, App shouldn't have been winning with 30 seconds left.

BS.

The fact that upsets ocurr does not diminish a poll's validity. The fact that teams play close does not diminish a poll's validity. Polls are what they are. An estimation of where teams stand against other teams based on how they have performed for the season to date (or in the earlier versions, pollsters perception of how they will do during the season). They are not based on how the ball bounces in one particular game.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
BS.

The fact that upsets ocurr does not diminish a poll's validity. The fact that teams play close does not diminish a poll's validity. Polls are what they are. An estimation of where teams stand against other teams based on how they have performed for the season to date (or in the earlier versions, pollsters perception of how they will do during the season). They are not based on how the ball bounces in one particular game.

"Upsets do occur." "An estimation of how teams stand against other teams for the season based on how they have performed...."
I'm glad that you clarified that for me. Now I know that #19 ASU's 30-3 win over the #15 team was merely an upset. We were just so fortunant to even play them. Maybe Furman can schedule them in '06 and get a chance at an upset.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 03:28 PM
coastal is the biggest load of crap ever, and they will stay there too, b/c they play absolutely NOBODY for the rest of the season

I imagine you're wrong on this one. Even though they only play pansies here on out, they'll run up big margins on teams like Mansfield and Chas Southern and move on up.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
"Upsets do occur." "An estimation of how teams stand against other teams for the season based on how they have performed...."
I'm glad that you clarified that for me. Now I know that #19 ASU's 30-3 win over the #15 team was merely an upset. We were just so fortunant to even play them. Maybe Furman can schedule them in '06 and get a chance at an upset.

Let's take a few things out of context. Makes winning arguments a lot easier.

And thanks for correcting the grammar. Not one of my strong points. :D

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Let's take a few things out of context. Makes winning arguments a lot easier.

And thanks for correcting the grammar. Not one of my strong points. :D

1. If you think that was out of context, you're entitled.
2. Didn't notice any incorrect grammar. If I corrected any, it was totally inadvertent.

Stang Fever
October 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Sounds like something I would say...However for a program that is only 3 seasons old...you have to admire the fact that they have come in and made a lot of noise...Granted the rest of the season is the cup-cakes of cup-cakes....they got through the first half of their Season..with a pretty good record