PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Rule Changes

blackfordpu
May 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
There are quite a few but the big one that stands out to me is the clock starting on the referee when the ball goes out of bounds.

Ball Out Of Bounds (Rule 3-2-5-a-12). When a ball is carried or fumbled out of bounds, the game clock will stop, as always. Beginning in 2008 the game clock will start on the referee’s signal when the ball is ready for play, not on the snap. In the last two minutes of the half, however, the clock will start on the snap as before, preserving the ability of the offensive team to maximize strategic use of the clock.

Here is the link: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=387

uofmman1122
May 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Doesn't sound too bad, since the old rule still applies to the last two minutes.

appstate38
May 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I thought that rule was in place last season, about the clock starting on the ref's signal. Seems I remember it that way but maybe it was the NFL and not college.

DevilDawg
May 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't like the wording of the explanation, as strategic use of the clock doesn't start in the last 2 minutes of a half.

But I think it is an effective way to get to the desired effect of shortening televised games. While this applies to all football games played, the vast majority of college football games aren't televised.

GreatAppSt
May 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
This rule sux, just like all the time limiting rules that have come and gone before it.xmadx

McNeese_beat
May 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM
This rule sux, just like all the time limiting rules that have come and gone before it.xmadx

I hate time limit rules that limit the amount of FOOTBALL during the game. Cut out some halftime (like the NFL did some years ago) and maybe expedite the time between possessions.

Don't cut out the actual GAME.

JayJ79
May 29th, 2008, 02:41 AM
looks like they are also changing to an NFL-style 40-second playclock that starts as soon as the ball is dead.

3-2-4 (FR-67)
b. 40-Second Clock. 1. When an official signals that the ball is dead, the
play clock shall begin a 40-second count.
2. If the 40-second count is interrupted for reasons beyond the control of
the officials or the play-clock operator (e.g., clock malfunction), the
referee shall stop the game clock and signal (both palms open in an
over-the-head pumping motion) that the play clock should be re-set
at 40 seconds and started immediately.
3. In the event that the 40-second clock is running and the ball is not
ready to be snapped after 20 seconds into the count, the referee
shall declare a timeout and signal that the play clock be set at 25
seconds. When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the ready-for-
play signal [S1] and the play clock shall begin the 25-second
count. The game clock will start on the snap unless it had been running when the referee declared a timeout; in that case it will start on the referee’s signal.

kirkblitz
May 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
that is stupid. 40 seconds? Why do i go to football games, to see football not a bunch of people standing around just killing time. If i wanted to watch the NFL on saturday i would :O

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I don't like the wording of the explanation, as strategic use of the clock doesn't start in the last 2 minutes of a half.

Agreed on both accounts. You want a better rule regarding shortening the games... FEWER COMMERCIALS!!! That's the only thing that has lengthened the game of footbal over the years. xnonono2x

WrenFGun
May 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM
This is pretty disappointing. I don't like either of these rules...it's going to limit possessions in both counts, which is horrendous.

SDbison
May 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Agreed on both accounts. You want a better rule regarding shortening the games... FEWER COMMERCIALS!!! That's the only thing that has lengthened the game of footbal over the years. xnonono2x
Exactly.......I don't get why they have to shorten the game. If anything they should lengthen the game. Football is my favorite pastime during Saturday's in the fall. Love to tailgate, watch the game and party afterwards. Hate to see the game itself shortened. What kills me is how they make rules that 95 percent of the fans would disapprove of. Do the coaches want these changes or is it just the greedy TV networks!

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Do the coaches want these changes or is it just the greedy TV networks!
The greedy NCAA and TV networks.

Purple Pride
May 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Exactly.......I don't get why they have to shorten the game. If anything they should lengthen the game. Football is my favorite pastime during Saturday's in the fall. Love to tailgate, watch the game and party afterwards. Hate to see the game itself shortened. What kills me is how they make rules that 95 percent of the fans would disapprove of. Do the coaches want these changes or is it just the greedy TV networks!There's a group of 12 coaches and AD's that make up the rules committee. 3 each from FBS, FCS, DII, and DIII.

aust42
May 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
These rules suck and it's all just to shorten the game for TV purposes. The NFL has whoared itself to the networks and their games are much much shorter than the old days. There are so many commercials during an NFL game it's just outrageous. Commercials, kickoff, commercials. Three and out. Punt. Commercials. Team scores, commercials. Kickoff. Commercials. etc. etc. Let the college game be!!