PDA

View Full Version : Whats your 2008 SoCon Predictions?

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'll start... (not attacking any school, just what I think will happen xthumbsupx)

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

terrierbob
May 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Looks about right to me. I think WC could go 6-2, 5-3, or 4-4 (hope not). Tough small private school conference.

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think GSU, elon, wofford, and citadel are a toss up honestly but I just ran the games through my head and came up with these predictions, just wanted to see what everyone else expects.

IndianaAppMan
May 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It's only May and we're already talking about this. Is SoCon football great or what?

asu70
May 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think GSU, elon, wofford, and citadel are a toss up honestly but I just ran the games through my head and came up with these predictions, just wanted to see what everyone else expects.

I think you can add FU and App to that list. I think it's going to be just like last year with several teams battling to the end for the Socon Championship. The Socon will be tough as always!

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think you can add FU and App to that list. I think it's going to be just like last year with several teams battling to the end for the Socon Championship. The Socon will be tough as always!

I love it! xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'll start... (not attacking any school, just what I think will happen xthumbsupx)

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

Who do you have ASU, Furman, and GSU losing to in the league?

Wofford is a tough team to gauge. They have a lot of holes to fill. I don't see them finishing ahead of Citadel or being ranked in the top 15 of the nation. Wofford had a very good team last year but lost most of their top players. They have 4 starters back on defense in a league that should score a lot of points with offenses like App State, Elon, Citadel, GSU, etc.

They have 4 all-socon players returning:
LB Seth Goldwire, 1st team
LT Ben Quick, 2nd team
RT Derek Wooten, 2nd team
TE Fenn Allen, 2nd team

They lose 5 starters on offense (including the entire backfield) in: Derek Tiller (LG), Corey McKenna (C), Josh Collier (QB), Kevious Johnson
(HB), Michael Hobbs (FB) and 7 on defense in James Gonsoulin (DE), Michael Combest (DE), Kevin Adleman (LB), Filmon Dawkins (CB), Brian Ford (FS), Dan Tavani (SS), Brian Kemp (CB).

They must replace their leaders in passing and rushing on offense and have to replace a ton of talent on defense with Kemp, Tavani, Ford, Adleman, and Gonsoulin graduating.

With that said there are some potential All-SoCon players that have to play well for them to be a top 15 or 20 team such as Gary Blount, Matt Norcia, Layton Baker, Andy Strickland, etc.

I wish them well but this year's SoCon race should be crowded at the top. Elon doesn't have a great defense either but their offense should score a lot more points than Wofford. They could score 45 a game while Wofford probably falls short of their 34 per game average of last season.

SideLine Shooter
May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

I'll say that is probably as good of a preseason prediction as anyone could come up with.

A couple of things to look out for.
1- Samford will sneak in a win or 2.
2- Everyone is aiming at ASU. That is a BIG target on their chest and back.

It will no doubt be another great SoCon Season. I'm about to "FOOTBALL IN MY PANTS RIGHT NOW!"

lillycafe
May 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Looks about right to me. I think WC could go 6-2, 5-3, or 4-4 (hope not). Tough small private school conference.

What does that mean? ASU and GSU are certainly not small or private. I will agree that that is the way the conference is going, much to my dismay.

catamount man
May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I will predict that I will NOT make a prediction for the 2008 SoCon season.

But I will say one thing, it will be great to watch WCU football under Dennis Wagner. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

It's pretty obvious that App State has to be considered the favorite going in, but like others I'm thinking that it may be a real scramble amongst your top 6. However, like the previous thread about Wofford's losses, we're in a very similar boat. We lost our quarterback, a couple of running backs and the entire offensive line. I have a lot of confidence in Hatcher, and think we have talent on offense, but it will be VERY young. How quickly can the coaching staff get them working together effectively, especially the line? The entire defense is back, but they have to do much better than they did last year (as I think they will). All in all, I think we'll be in the mix, but may well finish on the bottom end of that 6 (though I certainly hope not!).

AppGrad06
May 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

so is that a 3 way tie for the championship?

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'll say that is probably as good of a preseason prediction as anyone could come up with.

A couple of things to look out for.
1- Samford will sneak in a win or 2.
2- Everyone is aiming at ASU. That is a BIG target on their chest and back.

It will no doubt be another great SoCon Season. I'm about to "FOOTBALL IN MY PANTS RIGHT NOW!"

I would say the target has been moved to their forehead.

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking Elon may only lose two games. Then again they could lose six.

AppAlum2003
May 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
so is that a 3 way tie for the championship?

Yeah, so who wins the head-to-head?

All three teams should get playoff seeds!!!! xlolx

gophoenix
May 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking Elon may only lose two games. Then again they could lose six.

Shoot, I have a feeling Western and UTC are going to make some noise too, especially Western with good coaching. And Samford had a good class come in.

I kinda think the winner may have 3 losses. Or may be a 4 way tie for first with the committee penalizing one of the co-champs.

gophoenix
May 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM
What does that mean? ASU and GSU are certainly not small or private. I will agree that that is the way the conference is going, much to my dismay.

xrolleyesx

Here we go again.

Depends on your definition of small. App and GSU are small compared to many schools that many fans in the country think are "big."

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM

It already happened before remember? All three split the championship, but the auto-bid is decided by head to head matchups.

SideLine Shooter
May 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I will predict that I will NOT make a prediction for the 2008 SoCon season.

But I will say one thing, it will be great to watch WCU football under Dennis Wagner. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Anybody, I mean ANYBODY has got to be an improvement!!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx

Death Dealer
May 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM

App loses to GSU in Statesboro. GSU loses to Furman in G'vegas. Furman loses to Appy in Boone. No head to head winner. A three way tie for the conference? Possible?

furman94
May 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
^ Most likely prediction of 2008

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
App loses to GSU in Statesboro. GSU loses to Furman in G'vegas. Furman loses to Appy in Boone. No head to head winner. A three way tie for the conference? Possible?

It already happened... 2001 I think?

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I believe Furman may come out on top undefeated and make a run at the National Championship.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
My predictions...
-ASU wins AQ again
-Furman starts out slugglish like they did last year, but then gets better. They will win more conference games this year than last year
-Wofford will not do as well this year
-WCU will improve this year under Wagner
-GSU will have three conference losses again (we will lose to two of Elon, The Citadel, and App. and will also lose to either Western or Furman)
-Samford may keep a few games somewhat close, but finish the season winless. Sorry, I just can't see a team that struggled in the OVC doing well in the conference. Playing them will feel like playing VMI from the mid to late 90s when they were terrible.

T-Dog
May 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
It was 1999. App got the autobid IIRC. I have no idea how they determined it as FU, GaSo and App all finished with 1 loss and each loss the road game at each other (App lost @ FU, Gaso lost @ App, FU lost @ GaSo)

Anyway, I think the schedule really favors App this year. They get Samford, UTC and WCU on the road which they should win. They get all but one of the top SoCon teams from last year at home (Elon, Furman, El Cit and Wofford). Only game that is very big trouble is at GaSo.

I'm of course banking on App holding serve at home. All of those home games could be tough but App has an almost impeccable record at home in the last five years (damn you GaSo!).

Anyway, my predictions.

1. ASU 7-1
t-2. Elon 6-2
t-2. Furman 6-2
4. GSU 5-3
5. Wofford 4-4
t-6. El Citadel 3-5
t-6. WCU 3-5
8. UTC 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

yosefcity
May 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
1. App State 8-0 (Believe it)
2T. Elon 6-2 (Lose to App and GSU)
2T. Furman 6-2 (Lose to App and Elon)
4. GSU 5-3 (Lose to App, Furman and Wofford)
5. Wofford 4-4 (Lose to App, Furman, Elon and Citadel)
6. The Citadel 3-5 (Lost to Chattanooga)
7. Chattanooga 2-6 (Lost to Samford)
8T. Samford 1-7 (Beat Wofford)
8T. WCU 1-7 (Beat Samford)

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Furman lost TOO much last year to be considered finishing 2nd place.

Mine are

1.Appalachian(7-1)(Loss to GSU)
2.Elon(6-2)(loss to ASU and Citadel)
2.Citadel(6-2)(loss to App and GSU)
4.GSU(5-3)(Elon, WCU, FU)
5.Furman(4-4)
6.Wofford(3-5)
7.Chattanooga(2-6)
7.Western Carolina(2-6)
8.Samford(0-8)

seantaylor
May 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM

Mine are

2.Citadel(6-2)(loss to App and GSU)
5.Furman(4-4)
6.Wofford(3-5)
7.Chattanooga(2-6)
7.Western Carolina(2-6)
8.Samford(0-8)

WCU won't beat us. They have never beaten us in their history.

Death Dealer
May 29th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I believe Furman may come out on top undefeated and make a run at the National Championship.

Cute. Don't you have a home ec. final to study for?xcoffeex

GaSouthern
May 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah 1999 was the season I was thinking of! I just want good close hard faught games!

GaSouthern
May 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Anyway, my predictions.

1. ASU 7-1
t-2. Elon 6-2
t-2. Furman 6-2
4. GSU 5-3
5. Wofford 4-4
t-6. El Citadel 3-5
t-6. WCU 3-5
8. UTC 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

I think this might be the best one yet, but I still gotta hope GSU will at least get a share of the conference champ (paint me homer blue xrotatehx )

elcid96
May 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Mine are

2.The Citadel(6-2)(loss to App and GSU)
5.Furman(4-4)
6.Wofford(3-5)
7.Chattanooga(2-6)
7.Western Carolina(2-6)
8.Samford(0-8)

This is the best poll I have seen so far.

HighRyder08
May 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
ASU is getting revenge on GSU this season! Im calling it!

RazorEdge19
May 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
2008 Thoughts:

T-1: Elon
- Returns most players from last year's team. Most likely to be able to duplicate previous success
T-1: Appalachian State
- Returns Armanti Edwards, but loses a majority of his offensive line & weapons. Previous success could be more difficult this time around.
T-3: GSU
- Loses offensive line and the Jayson Foster show, returns good amount of defense, but they're a toss-up on how they will play without those pieces.
T-3:Furman
- Lose Felton and a few offensive lineman, as well as a change in scheme. I think they'll still struggle like they did at the beginning last year and get better as the year wears on
T-3: Wofford
- Lose primary QB and majority of backfield. Return a solid offensive line and good core defense. Like GSU, a toss-up as to how they play.
T-3: Citadel
- Return several key players on offense, lose several key guys on defense. They are also a toss-up on how they play.
7: WCU
- New coach, new system. Will start to change the recent history of losing, but won't do it overnight. They'll struggle against the higher teams, but will likely beat UTC & Samford
8: UTC
- Lost several good players from a bad team. Coupled with some coaching changes, they likely will struggle again this season.
9: Samford
- Will learn that the OVC is not the SoCon. Will get a rude awakening early, but will begin to close the gap by season's end.

I don't know what anyone's records are going to be. There are too many teams this year in transition that its impossible to make a prediction based on any sound reasoning.

elcid96
May 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
2008 Thoughts:

T-1: Elon
- Returns most players from last year's team. Most likely to be able to duplicate previous success
T-1: Appalachian State
- Returns Armanti Edwards, but loses a majority of his offensive line & weapons. Previous success could be more difficult this time around.
T-3: GSU
- Loses offensive line and the Jayson Foster show, returns good amount of defense, but they're a toss-up on how they will play without those pieces.
T-3:Furman
- Lose Felton and a few offensive lineman, as well as a change in scheme. I think they'll still struggle like they did at the beginning last year and get better as the year wears on
T-3: Wofford
- Lose primary QB and majority of backfield. Return a solid offensive line and good core defense. Like GSU, a toss-up as to how they play.
- Return several key players on offense, lose several key guys on defense. They are also a toss-up on how they play.
7: WCU
- New coach, new system. Will start to change the recent history of losing, but won't do it overnight. They'll struggle against the higher teams, but will likely beat UTC & Samford
8: UTC
- Lost several good players from a bad team. Coupled with some coaching changes, they likely will struggle again this season.
9: Samford
- Will learn that the OVC is not the SoCon. Will get a rude awakening early, but will begin to close the gap by season's end.

I don't know what anyone's records are going to be. There are too many teams this year in transition that its impossible to make a prediction based on any sound reasoning.

Great point on many of the teams. We are returning our QB and All-American WR this year. Should be a good show. I am glad to see the Foster show hit the road and not return. His two late TD last year cost us a spot in the playoffs. What weapons does GSU have this year?

GGASU
May 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Western beat you in 1994 ...and 1941

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=3511

I love that college football data warehouse! xbowx

appfan2008
May 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
anyone of six teams could win this years socon title and because of that i am sure that we will once again have at least a 2 way tie if not 3 way with one maybe 2 or possibly 3 losses between them.

lillycafe
May 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
xrolleyesx

Here we go again.

Depends on your definition of small. App and GSU are small compared to many schools that many fans in the country think are "big."

But, compared to their SoCon brethren, Wofford (1,300), Furman (3,042), The Citadel (3,138), Samford (4,400), and Elon (5,230), ASU (15,117) and GSU (16,841) are not only not small, they are HUGE.

blueballs
May 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Great point on many of the teams. We are returning our QB and All-American WR this year. Should be a good show. I am glad to see the Foster show hit the road and not return. His two late TD last year cost us a spot in the playoffs. What weapons does GSU have this year?

You will see the "true" Hatch Attack this year, which is similar to what Texas Tech and BYU run.

QB: The #1 QB coming out of spring drills is RSFr Lee Chapple, who was rated #70-something his SR in HS. Great arm, good athlete, very smart- obviously short on experience. RSSo Billy Lowe looked to be the starter going into spring but was shut down with a re-ocurring back injury. Obviously this position is a HUGE question mark but we all feel good about the potential of the position...

Backs: RSFr Zeke Rozier, Tr Darrell Norman (from UAB), Tr Ricky Ponton (from USF) This is a position of strength... Rozier looked on his way to stardom last year, earning immediate playing time as a true Fr and possibly on his way to beating out both Lamar Lewis and Mike Hamilton but tore his ACL and was granted a medical RS. Big, strong and fast, if completely recovered (and the coaches say he is a medical miracle and a physical freak) has all conference potential. Norman is a scat back with great speed and Ponton is more rugged.

Receivers: Another strong position.... Raja Andrews, Tim Camp, Mike McIntosh, Chris Teal, Chris Ashkouti, Garryon Taylor, Joe Haynie all got playing time and/or started last year. All are very fast. Andrews should get all conference mention. Irving Campbell has petitioned the NCAA for an extra year due to previous injury and if he is eligible this will be a very strong group. Watch out for RSFr's Jordan Delk and Brett Layson. The operative word is speed with this group.

OL: BIG question mark!!! One starter returns, OG Dio Herrera, who missed a good portion of 2007 with an ankle injury. OG Ricory Green started in 2006 but missed 2007 and returns, he has huge potential. OT Tery Dunmon transferred in from Georgia Tech, he played in 10 games last year for the Jackets and figures to challenge for a starting spot along with RSFr Jared Flowers, who the staff thinks will be a star- 6'5" 340+ with good feet. C Cole Fountain, Lewis Brooks, and Josh Barker all saw a good amount of action last year and figure into the mix too. There are several red shirts who will challenge for playing time and a couple of true Fr who come in highly touted. There is a lot of talent and potential in this group but since GSU graduated 4 starters including two all conference players this has to be considered a ??????? mark.

PK: Jesse Hartley returns and is arguably the best returning PK in the conference.

In short, there is a TON of size, speed, talent and potential but it is largely unproven and mostly young. I look for this group to make big strides during the course of the year and be strong by year's end. Playing 4 out of the first 5 at home will help season the QB and line.

Hatcher signed a lot of talent that will fill in and there are a few who could contribute right away- Leander Barney, Nick Bass, Franklin Green (if eligible), Jamichael Tatum (if eligible)... you'd better get them this year because after '08 this will be a dynamic group for a while.

Eaglesrus
May 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Our starting quarterback as I write this will be redshirt freshman Lee Chapple, who was very highly regarded coming out of high school but is obviously inexperienced. He will battle in Fall practice, as he did in the Spring, with our backup from last year Billy Lowe, who only played quarterback one year in high school, but led his team to a Florida state championship and was MVP of a FL - California all-star game. At running back we have freshman Zeke Rozier who showed flashes of brilliance early last year but was injured in the third game and out the rest of the season, and Ricky Ponton, a transfer from South Florida. Our line will be a patchwork of one guy with starting experience who is coming back from injury, a transfer from GA Tech, and a number of guys with a fair amount of playing time as backups. Who knows, another transfer might show up before the season. Our strongest suit on offense will probably be at wide receiver. Starters and backups are returning. That might not have been saying much in many of the years that we were running the triple option, but I think we've got some real wr's now and we'll just need for the qb to get the ball to them.

terrierbob
May 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Threw that in there because I've seen that slung around as some GSU and ASU fans grouse about the Woffords, Samfords, Elons, etc. Furman's been a stalwart and successful member of the league forever, so I don't include them though they are small and private.

It's all a hoot to me. I'm as hooked on FCS FB as most, but don't let it gnaw on me too much. Except when FU beats us. And if we get beat by a newly confident GSU. I'll wear a bag over my head if we lose to Samford. Our D backfield scares me. I'm grabbing the Maalox.

CID1990
May 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=3511

I love that college football data warehouse! xbowx

When talking about GSU, Seantaylor uses the words 'never' and 'always' a whole lot. Cut him some slack, he's just their resident homer.

CID1990
May 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
2008 Thoughts:

The last two games of the 2007 season are a good indicator of what you are going to see on offense next year, and there will be some improvement at OL.

A lot of people think that our defense will be rebuilding. based on what I saw this spring, they will be better than the 2007 squad on defense.

RazorEdge19
May 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Threw that in there because I've seen that slung around as some GSU and ASU fans grouse about the Woffords, Samfords, Elons, etc. Furman's been a stalwart and successful member of the league forever, so I don't include them though they are small and private.

It's all a hoot to me. I'm as hooked on FCS FB as most, but don't let it gnaw on me too much. Except when FU beats us. And if we get beat by a newly confident GSU. I'll wear a bag over my head if we lose to Samford. Our D backfield scares me. I'm grabbing the Maalox.

You say that, but Appalachian is undergoing the exact same problem. Do they seem worried their coach won't find people who can play?

OL FU
May 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Well let's hope you continue to let it gnaw on you every three years outta fourxsmiley_wix

:o xprayx

gophoenix
May 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
But, compared to their SoCon brethren, Wofford (1,300), Furman (3,042), The Citadel (3,138), Samford (4,400), and Elon (5,230), ASU (15,117) and GSU (16,841) are not only not small, they are HUGE.

xlolx
It's funny how some people are so focused on size all the time. Compensating for something, are we?

Phoenix87
May 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I appreciate the support you App St fans are giving us as a Phoenix, but we aren't going to surprise anyone like we did last year. With a new offensive coordinator, we have yet to see how the Offense adjusts in game situation. We have tons of talent returning, but Ruggiero was a genius when it came to play calling. I like what I have seen from McCarty a lot, but we won't know for sure until we step on the field.

As far as our defense goes, I think it will be one of the most underrated units in the conference. A ton of talent returns and we have some good guys coming in. The whole D-Line returns as well as the rest of the Defense minus a couple Seniors who split time as a starter and reserve. As far as our schedule goes, I love playing at App St. our last conference game of the season. And The Citadel scares the crap out of me, we haven't matched up well against them yet since Lembo took over and made us competitive. And traveling down there two years in a row just stinks. They may seem high in my picks, but I have a lot of respect for what they are doing down there. Here are the picks.

1. App St. 7-1
2. Elon 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. The Citadel 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
6. Furman 4-4
7. WCU 2-6
8.Chattanooga 1-7
9. Samford 0-8

OL FU
May 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I appreciate the support you App St fans are giving us as a Phoenix, but we aren't going to surprise anyone like we did last year. With a new offensive coordinator, we have yet to see how the Offense adjusts in game situation. We have tons of talent returning, but Ruggiero was a genius when it came to play calling. I like what I have seen from McCarty a lot, but we won't know for sure until we step on the field.

As far as our defense goes, I think it will be one of the most underrated units in the conference. A ton of talent returns and we have some good guys coming in. The whole D-Line returns as well as the rest of the Defense minus a couple Seniors who split time as a starter and reserve. As far as our schedule goes, I love playing at App St. our last conference game of the season. And The Citadel scares the crap out of me, we haven't matched up well against them yet since Lembo took over and made us competitive. And traveling down there two years in a row just stinks. They may seem high in my picks, but I have a lot of respect for what they are doing down there. Here are the picks.

1. App St. 7-1
2. Elon 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. The Citadel 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
6. Furman 4-4
7. WCU 2-6
8.Chattanooga 1-7
9. Samford 0-8

My thoughts are close to yours. The only problem, you have more total losses than total wins:p

1 ASU 7-1 ( how did you get all those home gamesxrolleyesx )
2 Elon 6-2 (Better not let anybody get hurt)
3 The Citadel 5-3
4 Furman 5-3
5 Wofford 5-3
6 GaSU 4-4
7 WCU 3-5
8 Chatt 1-7
9 Samford 0-8 ( sorry boys but all your home games are the wrong games)

citdog
May 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
T-1 APP ST
T-1 ELON
T-1 THE CITADEL
4. VERMIN
5. WOFFORD
6. CHATT CHOO CHOO
7. EAGLETS FROM PIG'S ASS, GA
8. WESTERN CAROLINA
9 SAMFORD

Phoenix87
May 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
yeah my bad... counted 1 too many

here you go adjusted...

1. App St. 7-1 (still the cream of the crop)
2. Elon 6-2 (barring injuries, we'll be fine as long as Riddle stays healthy)
2. The Citadel 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
6. Furman 4-4 (We'll see how you are without your bruiser)
7. WCU 2-6 (Watch out, great young qb that almost torched us last year)
8.Chattanooga 1-7
9. Samford 0-8 (couple years of growing pains)

OL FU
May 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM

here you go adjusted...

2. The Citadel 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
8.Chattanooga 1-7

Strangely, I am not real concerned about the offense. The defense is another story.

Eyes of Old Main
May 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM

I was at that game in 1994. GSU had the game won and fumbled late in WCU territory and they scored to win. Those were the Hodgin days when WCU was tough.

Eyes of Old Main
May 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm not ready to lay out a predicted order of finish, but I can sazy that Appalachian will be tops, and Chattanooga and Samford will be at the bottom. I think Elon, Furman, GSU, Wofford and The Citadel will all be very competitive. Due to the losses, I think Wofford will lose a game or two early and then get stronger like they did in 2006.

PTW16
May 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The last two games of the 2007 season are a good indicator of what you are going to see on offense next year, and there will be some improvement at OL.

A lot of people think that our defense will be rebuilding. based on what I saw this spring, they will be better than the 2007 squad on defense.

Part of The Citadel's problems on defense last year was that injuries left the Bulldogs with only one string of defense with 3-4 reserves. Give Isaac Collins a full squad and few injuries (which will hopefully happen this fall) The Citadel defense could be impressive this year

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Just speaking in terms of appalachian, they lost a lot of production from last season. But the players that are going to step of do have experience especially on the offensive line.

Devon Moore will rush for over 1,000 yards this season if he maintains his starting spot. Brian Quick will possibly fill the void of DJ and Hans, atleast most of it. He's fast and big, and can jump, he blocked a kick of Michigans also from behind the D-line.

Defense only has the question of secondary with two sports to fill. Cortez Gilbert has a lot of playing experience and Leonard Love had adequete to get him through the year.

catamount man
May 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM

1941 14-7 in Cullowhee
1994 35-31 in Cullowhee

Try again skippy!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM
1941 14-7 in Cullowhee
1994 35-31 in Cullowhee

Try again skippy!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Two more reasons to not hate CHS completely :D Always a fan of those teams that beat GSU.

OL FU
May 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Two more reasons to not hate CHS completely :D Always a fan of those teams that beat GSU.

I suppose you really liked FU the last three yearsxnodx xeyebrowx xbawlingx

ElonPride
May 30th, 2008, 07:34 AM

here you go adjusted...

2. The Citadel 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
8.Chattanooga 1-7

Remember, we do have a heck of a backup QB!!!!

blueballs
May 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I suppose you really liked FU the last two yearsxnodx xeyebrowx xbawlingx

Fixed it for ya'...

OL FU
May 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Fixed it for ya'...

xoopsx I got a little carried awayxlolx

Jerbearasu
May 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Brian Quick will possibly fill the void of DJ and Hans, atleast most of it. He's fast and big, and can jump, he blocked a kick of Michigans also from behind the D-line.

Quick won't be a big impact player for us for a few years. He will be a lot like what Josh Johnson has been for us. This year will be a lot like it was in 05 with no dominant player at WR. Impact guys are gonna definitely be Courman and Hillary, also Johnson and Washington could step in and produce a little more than the previous two years.
I am still not sold on Quick. He only played one year of HS ball so he is still learning but he needs to get better at running crisp routes and also his hands could use some stickum... I think you are right that Devon may get usurped for his starting job though. I really want to see Rod Chisolm or Robert Welton by the end of the year. I think we will end up RS Chisolm though just because we are pretty deep there.

hapapp
May 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I suppose the three time defending national champs are going to be give a lot of props coming into the season. However, I think some of our fans have become somewhat deluded by our recent successes.

We have some great talent returning and we clearly should have another conference contender. What many must realize that while we had a great deal of depth last year and many of those players gained valuable experience, it is difficult to replace the incredible leadership that departed. I worry about the chemistry on this team. We have the talent, but will we possess the intangibles needed to win again? I remain a bit of a skeptic.

furman94
May 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM

here you go adjusted...

xhomerx ^^
2. The Citadel 6-2
3. Ga Southern 5-3
3. Wofford 5-3
8.Chattanooga 1-7

Really? FU at 4-4, capping the cellar dwellars? We are a different team this year, with a new offense, and a new look at things. This is a rebuilding year, so was 1988. This is also the 20th Anniv of 1988;we'll see what happens.. I think we finish in the top 3 in the Socon. There is no "Big 3" in the conference anymore, but because of an off year, FU is suddenly a mediocre team?

ericsaid
May 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Quick won't be a big impact player for us for a few years. He will be a lot like what Josh Johnson has been for us. This year will be a lot like it was in 05 with no dominant player at WR. Impact guys are gonna definitely be Courman and Hillary, also Johnson and Washington could step in and produce a little more than the previous two years.
I am still not sold on Quick. He only played one year of HS ball so he is still learning but he needs to get better at running crisp routes and also his hands could use some stickum... I think you are right that Devon may get usurped for his starting job though. I really want to see Rod Chisolm or Robert Welton by the end of the year. I think we will end up RS Chisolm though just because we are pretty deep there.

I think your not sold on Quick because you haven't seen enough of him. He was coached by Lonnie Galloway for a year and was red shirted and he has everything he needs to be great.

You may not be sold on him by the coaches seem to be from the spring practice reports I read. He'll help a lot more than I think you may believe. On the kick he blocked at Michigan he jumped straight up behind the d-line, he didn't jump towards the kicker bu straight up and i can say he has a 41 inch vertical.

BULLDOG8180
May 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
My Prediction:
The Citadel will finish behind ASU and ahead of Elon.

Jerbearasu
May 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM
I think your not sold on Quick because you haven't seen enough of him. He was coached by Lonnie Galloway for a year and was red shirted and he has everything he needs to be great.

You may not be sold on him by the coaches seem to be from the spring practice reports I read. He'll help a lot more than I think you may believe. On the kick he blocked at Michigan he jumped straight up behind the d-line, he didn't jump towards the kicker bu straight up and i can say he has a 41 inch vertical.

I've seen him both in spring camp this year, the little he played last year and 2 a days during the summer of last year. I do go to those practices so I have seen him more than most have. You really need to stop claiming that people have never seen App play, especially fans of the team. Honestly it gets old and insults those of us who have watched and loved the team, the SoCon, and FCS football since you were in elementary school...

Also you need to stop putting so much stock into what is reported from goasu.com. Do you really think they are going to write "Player X looked awful this spring he is really going to suck next year"? Of course they are going to put spin on what happens in camp because that is what fans want to hear. And nobody questions Quick's potential but raw players take more time to develop.

Everyone has seen that blocked kick too but how does that relate to him being a good WR? Yes I know he can jump really high and run really fast but that doesn't always translate into a good player. Very few freshman, either true freshman or redshirted, produce on the field. There are exceptions like Armanti but for the most part you earn a starting spot by your junior year unless you are just a phenom.

GSUjack
May 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
My prediction...

1. ME
2. Everybody else

Just kidding, I think it's probably going to be similar to last season, except there is someone new to beat up on. But, I could be wrong.

SideLine Shooter
May 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
My Prediction:
The Citadel will finish behind ASU and ahead of Elon.

I hope you are correct!!!!!xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

phoenix3
May 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Just speaking in terms of appalachian, they lost a lot of production from last season. But the players that are going to step of do have experience especially on the offensive line.

Devon Moore will rush for over 1,000 yards this season if he maintains his starting spot. Brian Quick will possibly fill the void of DJ and Hans, atleast most of it. He's fast and big, and can jump, he blocked a kick of Michigans also from behind the D-line.

Defense only has the question of secondary with two sports to fill. Cortez Gilbert has a lot of playing experience and Leonard Love had adequete to get him through the year.

What about Hillary? I was expecting great things from him this year.

PaladinFan
June 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Really? FU at 4-4, capping the cellar dwellars? We are a different team this year, with a new offense, and a new look at things. This is a rebuilding year, so was 1988. This is also the 20th Anniv of 1988;we'll see what happens.. I think we finish in the top 3 in the Socon. There is no "Big 3" in the conference anymore, but because of an off year, FU is suddenly a mediocre team?

Furman returns four of five off a pretty durn good offensive line. That is usually the recipe for success. I'm excited about this group of running backs.

Sorrells will have a big experienced offensive line in front of him. Very good ball carriers. Pass catchers at every position. Tall targets at wide receiver and tight end. No one player will make or break our success. There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Like others, I am anxious about the defense. Like the things I saw near the end of last year. Good news is, they can't really get any worse.

Furman needs to come out and get a big win early. I doubt they can topple VT, but to beat Delaware would give the team a lot of confidence. Last year they started rolling but it was too little too late.

If ever a team was due for a win, we are due for a win in Boone.

T-Dog
June 1st, 2008, 05:06 AM

Not this century! You will take your one-point and heartbreaking last-second losses and take them in full! xrulesx

graysky
June 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
With all due respect to a fine Appalachian state program, the pendulum is now swinging away from the mountaineers. My guess is they will be back in 2009, but this is not going to be another year of dominance for the appies. (a playoff appearance, probably. But not a 2008 SoCon ring. )
Feel free to disagree but:

1.Georgia Southern
2.Appalachian State
3.Furman
4.The rest stay home!

furman94
June 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Furman returns four of five off a pretty durn good offensive line. That is usually the recipe for success. I'm excited about this group of running backs.

Sorrells will have a big experienced offensive line in front of him. Very good ball carriers. Pass catchers at every position. Tall targets at wide receiver and tight end. No one player will make or break our success. There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Like others, I am anxious about the defense. Like the things I saw near the end of last year. Good news is, they can't really get any worse.

Furman needs to come out and get a big win early. I doubt they can topple VT, but to beat Delaware would give the team a lot of confidence. Last year they started rolling but it was too little too late.

YES YES YES!

Saint3333
June 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
If you're talking about being due, you guys are going to have to get in line behind WCU and others.

The last time each SoCon team won in Boone:

GSU 2007xmadx
Wofford 2002
Furman 1996
Citadel 1992
WCU 1984
UTC 1983
Elon 1964 (series gap 1971-2003)
Samford Never - only game was in 1970

ericsaid
June 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
With all due respect to a fine Appalachian state program, the pendulum is now swinging away from the mountaineers. My guess is they will be back in 2009, but this is not going to be another year of dominance for the appies. (a playoff appearance, probably. But not a 2008 SoCon ring. )

1.Georgia Southern
2.Appalachian State
3.Furman
4.The rest stay home!

1.Appalachian State
2.Elon
3.Furman or the Citadel
4.The rest stay home!

CID1990
June 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
1. ASU
2. Elon/The Citadel/Furman

Whatever happens, I am predicting that no less than three SoCon teams go to the playoffs this year. That extra at-large slot will play a role, but I also think that the lines between the SoCon teams will be less blurred in 2008 than they were in 2007.

JDC325
June 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM

1. App St. 6-2
1. Furman 6-2
1. Ga Southern 6-2
4. Elon 5-3
4. Wofford 5-3
6. Citadel 4-4
7. Chattanooga 2-6
7. WCU 2-6
9. Samford 0-8

1. App St. 6-2
2. FU 5-3
2 GSU 5-3
2. Elon 5-3
2. Wofford 5-3
6. El Cid 4-4
7 WCU 2-6
7. Chatt 2-6
9 Samford 0-8

JDC325
June 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
T-1 APP ST
T-1 ELON
T-1 THE CITADEL
4. VERMIN
5. WOFFORD
6. CHATT CHOO CHOO
7. EAGLETS FROM PIG'S ASS, GA
8. WESTERN CAROLINA
9 SAMFORD

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Good one! .... the Citadel and a SoCon title....to funny!!!

elcid96
June 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Good one! .... the Citadel and a SoCon title....to funny!!!

Good one! GSU and a winning season without Foster...to funnyxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JDC325
June 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Good one! GSU and a winning season without Foster...to funnyxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Same song different tune...xcoffeex
A GSU winning season without Ham.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Gross.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Peterson.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Williams or Austin.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Erk....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without PJ.....xoopsx

I think given GSU's history with winning seasons and the Citadel's recent history of winning conference titles, I will go with GSU having a winning season over the Citadel winning even a shared conference title. xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
June 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
I think given GSU's history with winning seasons and the Citadel's recent history of winning conference titles, I will go with GSU having a winning season over the Citadel winning even a shared conference title. xthumbsupx

xlolx Definitely true.

But, you've got to admit... something is askew with GSU when you have the Citadel talking trash. xsmiley_wix

GaSouthern
June 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, the sad truth, GSU is a bit down and the SoCon as a whole is ALOT more than just the BIG 3 now days!

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

1.Georgia Southern
2.Appalachian State
3.Furman
4.The rest stay home!

Newbie:

On what do you base the above "pendulum swing" comment? We've won three NC's so we can't win 4?

Actually, things look pretty good for us this year. Our D will likely be better than last year, and I don't see a fall off on offense either. Can anyone contain Armanti? I doubt it.

Plus, visitors at Kidd-Brewer Stadium will have a hard time. Ticket sales are at an all-time high, & stadium renovations are continuing. ASU has a brutal out-of-conference schedule and may have to take some frustration out on SoCon members. We could easily be 2-2 before we start the SoCon season. The team knows every team we play will bring their "A" game every time. And, I would not have it any other way.

MAN, I cannot wait for football season!!!!!!!

P.S. I am looking forward to a trip to Statesboro this year.

BULLDOG8180
June 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
What about Hillary? I was expecting great things from him this year.

You mean her????? Oh, I thought you were talking about Clinton......xsmiley_wix

WCU LawCat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
OK I'll put my CURRENT thoughts out there.

1) App (too much tallent, Banks becomes new defensive leader. Devon Moore will be a good replacement for Richardson)
2) Elon (can the key elements stay healthy and new OC keep everybody on the same page? Will defense improve?)
3) Citadel (Higgins is developing a good program)
4) Furman (Young QB will have some protection. Just enough tallent to overcome some potential weaknesses)
5) Western (Most of OL returns along with most of the defense. Defensive will be stout believe it or not under new coordinator. Some good returning skill players. Number of unknowns with new staff. Several new players that Wagner recruited while at nebraska will get a chance to shine).
6) Wofford (Lost key leaders on offense. Two players suspended including starting defender. New players step in. Traditional regrouping year)
7) GSU (lost several key players and all of 08 OL. Can 07 OL starters return to form and new players step up? Lost solid defenders as well in secondary. Will Hatcher really go with freshman QB? Big questions. Very young team.)
8) Samford (few solid young players come in. MAY sneak out a win or two)
9) UTC (All it is going to take to doom the season is one bad game early or some off the field drama. When the stars are lined up all wrong it does not take much to kill the season or the players attitude when the coaching staff is on the hot seat. No proven QB).

**WCU will win 4 SoCon games. I predict Samford (home), Wofford, GSU FINALLY (home), UTC (home). WCU will beat Shorter and either PC or Liberty. I predict 5 or 6 wins.

phoenix3
June 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
You mean her????? Oh, I thought you were talking about Clinton......xsmiley_wix

No, Sir Edmondxnutsx

catamount man
June 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM

1) App (too much tallent, Banks becomes new defensive leader. Devon Moore will be a good replacement for Richardson)
2) Elon (can the key elements stay healthy and new OC keep everybody on the same page? Will defense improve?)
4) Furman (Young QB will have some protection. Just enough tallent to overcome some potential weaknesses)
5) Western (Most of OL returns along with most of the defense. Defensive will be stout believe it or not under new coordinator. Some good returning skill players. Number of unknowns with new staff. Several new players that Wagner recruited while at nebraska will get a chance to shine).
6) Wofford (Lost key leaders on offense. Two players suspended including starting defender. New players step in. Traditional regrouping year)
7) GSU (lost several key players and all of 08 OL. Can 07 OL starters return to form and new players step up? Lost solid defenders as well in secondary. Will Hatcher really go with freshman QB? Big questions. Very young team.)
9) UTC (All it is going to take to doom the season is one bad game early or some off the field drama. When the stars are lined up all wrong it does not take much to kill the season or the players attitude when the coaching staff is on the hot seat. No proven QB).

**WCU will win 4 SoCon games. I predict Samford (home), Wofford, GSU FINALLY (home), UTC (home). WCU will beat Shorter and either PC or Liberty. I predict 5 or 6 wins.

You are one of my tailgating buddies, you sit right beside me at all the home games, and you're like the brother I never had, but to quote Dabney Coleman in the role of pornographer Jerry Caesar to Christopher Plummer's character of the Reverend Jonathan Worley in the movie DRAGNET, "You got balls as big as church bells!!!!!!!!" xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xthumbsupx

I will NOT make any predictions, although we WILL be much improved in every facet of our team. 85 more days until we break beer in Cullowhee.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

RazorEdge19
June 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WCU LawCat
June 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Laugh if you must. How many of us picked Elon 6th last season? Last time Wofford was regrouping WCU won 24-0...with a struggling offense.

gophoenix
June 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Laugh if you must. How many of us picked Elon 6th last season? Last time Wofford was regrouping WCU won 24-0...with a struggling offense.

Exactly. I think most people had us 7th or 8th last season. Anything can happen and even the teams that are predicted last are really no slouches this year.

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Last time Wofford was regrouping WCU won 24-0...with a struggling offense.

If WCU had half the defense now that they did back then, you might be onto something. Since you don't, worry about beating Samford and Chattanooga before you bother with anyone else.

RazorEdge19
June 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Nothing personal, but that's as close to 'delusions of grandeur' that I can think of...

james_lawfirm
June 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Interesting. If you're right, and WCU beats GaSo, then it will be a tough year in the SoCon. I am not sure WCU beats Wofford though.

Eaglesrus
June 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM
xlolx Definitely true.

But, you've got to admit... something is askew with GSU when you have the Citadel talking trash. xsmiley_wix

Oh, The Citadel has always talked trash, they just haven't done much to back it up.

furman94
June 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM

4) Furman (Young QB will have some protection. Just enough tallent to overcome some potential weaknesses)5) Western (Most of OL returns along with most of the defense. Defensive will be stout believe it or not under new coordinator. Some good returning skill players. Number of unknowns with new staff. Several new players that Wagner recruited while at nebraska will get a chance to shine).

Really? This "young" QB looked great at WCU didn't he? Oh, and did you see him vs Clemson? His daddy is the Offensive Coordinator; this kid knows the offensive damn well, and has shown he can play it too!

gophoenix
June 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Really? This "young" QB looked great at WCU didn't he? Oh, and did you see him vs Clemson? His daddy is the Offensive Coordinator; this kid knows the offensive damn well, and has shown he can play it too!

I haven't seen him, but having a dad for coach means nothing. In fact, it can mean the exact opposite of what you're saying. Paul and Kye Hamilton are prime examples.

Not saying that will happen, but a Dad as coach and "knowing" the offense are separate issues from being able to play that offense and seeing if daddy will put you in harms way (like any other player) to win.

furman94
June 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
That was saying that he knows and plays the offense, and has been around the program for a long time Sorrells is ready...

ASU DIVER
June 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
1-Citadel
2-ASU
3-WOFFORD
4-EU
5-FU
6-GSU
7-WCU
8-SAMFORD
9-UTC

xeyebrowx

JDC325
June 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
xlolx Definitely true.

Temporary minor deviation from the mean. I will take two losing seasons and 6 NC's every 20+ years or so even if it means the poster girls for mediocre football get to talk trash once in a blue moon. xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
June 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Picking UTC to fall behind Sammy. Yikes. I don't really agree or disagree. I think you're the first one to pick Sammy for anything but last place. If only UTC had some fans to argue against you. xwhistlex

EDIT: I take it back, Yosefcity Picked Sammy in next-to-last as well back on page 3. Still, you two are certainly in my minority.

Dinman31
June 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen him, but having a dad for coach means nothing. In fact, it can mean the exact opposite of what you're saying. Paul and Kye Hamilton are prime examples.

Not saying that will happen, but a Dad as coach and "knowing" the offense are separate issues from being able to play that offense and seeing if daddy will put you in harms way (like any other player) to win.

I think any discussion of Sorrells knowledge of the offense is meaningless. He is a junior, not a young player, and has already won two games for us at QB and played well in several others. He knew the offense two years ago! I am VERY comfortable with him at QB this season and believe he could have a huge year behind an experienced O-line with lots of weapons in Webb, Brown, Hedden, Kendall, etc.

Eaglesrus
June 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Same song different tune...xcoffeex
A GSU winning season without Ham.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Gross.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Peterson.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Williams or Austin.....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without Erk....xoopsx
A GSU winning season without PJ.....xoopsx

You forgot:

A GSU winning season without BVG......oh, yeah, everybody expected that, sorry xlolx

catamount man
June 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Nothing personal, but that's as close to 'delusions of grandeur' that I can think of...

Almost as ridiculous as a Mike Ayers team almost blowing a 34 point lead... Oh wait, that actually DID almost happen last year. And the opponent.........xthumbsupx xthumbsupx ;)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Sorrells is not some greenhorn. He's come in and won big games for us. Renaldo Gray took punishment as a running quarterback and Sorrells filled in several times making big throws. I can think of a game winning touchdown pass against Jax State and a rifle throw for 6 against Elon in 2007 off the top of my head.