PDA

View Full Version : SLC Commish on Lamar, TxSt-SM

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Most of the article was about Lamar, but it acknowledges that the SLC has heard the "rumors" that a certain San Marcos institution has plans to move up to FBS. Not sure if the Commish has seen the "Drive to FBS" web site that the folks in San Marcos has put together.

Wish Burnett would have said something re: Lamar playing SLC schedule, but the pundits probably have not worked that one out just yet. Hope McBeat can find out what's going on regarding the current status and the future of the Southland.

http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_148222022.html?keyword=topstory

Burnett's concerns are that the Southeast Texas area financially supports Lamar's efforts for football. The commissioner admitted another area of concern involved Texas State's future in the league.

Southland Conference football ranks among the best Division I FCS leagues (1-AA) in the nation, and enjoys an annual expectation of competing for the national championship with multiple teams often advancing to the NCAA playoffs. But the Southland is not among the schools in the FBS -- the Football Bowl Subdivision. Rumors have circulated within the SLC that Texas State is interested in a future jump.

"We hear the rumors that Texas State might move to another conference (such as Conference USA)," Burnett said. "Really, when you look back on it, we lost Louisiana-Monroe (2006)... In this day and age, you have to have another conference "to go to" and we have withstood a lot of changes over the years. The league remains a strong, viable organization."

McTailGator
May 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;961014]"We hear the rumors" QUOTE]

What? Is he in denial? xrolleyesx

The SLC just needs to work with Lamar and TAM-CC and get them situated into the conference for FB.

Once TAM-CC anounces that they want to play FB, and if TxSU has not left, than we kick their butts out to make room TAM-CC. I would rather not have more than 8 FB playing schools so that we can still get a money game AND have a nice home and home with a couple of OOC FCS schools of interest.

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Once TAM-CC anounces that they want to play FB, and if TxSU has not left, than we kick their butts out to make room TAM-CC. I would rather not have more than 8 FB playing schools so that we can still get a money game AND have a nice home and home with a couple of OOC FCS schools of interest.

If A&M-CC announces in the next two years, that is deal and the Commish can come out and say that TxSt-San Marcos was on the clock per the SLC by-laws and they are gone...June 30, 2010! xrulesx

centexguy
May 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It might be more than 2 years before A&M-CC tries to start football. The last I heard was they wanted enrollment to reach 10,000 first and I think they're around 8500. They do have 18K seat high school stadium they can use, but it's not on campus, and there's no room on their campus to build a stadium.

Long term having Corpus Christi playing football would be good for the SLC. They're a decent sized metro area (400K+). UCA is part of the Little Rock metro area (600K+), SHSU is close to the Woodlands and Conroe, Lamar in Beaumont metro (400K), McNeese State in Lake Charles (200K), and if Texas State and/or UTSA stay in the SLC that's two more large metro areas. The SLC commish needs to take advantage of this before another group of schools breaks away.

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
The SLC commish needs to take advantage of this before another group of schools breaks away.

How would you suggest the SLC commish "take advantage" of this?

FormerPokeCenter
May 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
It might be more than 2 years before A&M-CC tries to start football. The last I heard was they wanted enrollment to reach 10,000 first and I think they're around 8500. They do have 18K seat high school stadium they can use, but it's not on campus, and there's no room on their campus to build a stadium.

Long term having Corpus Christi playing football would be good for the SLC. They're a decent sized metro area (400K+). UCA is part of the Little Rock metro area (600K+), SHSU is close to the Woodlands and Conroe, Lamar in Beaumont metro (400K), McNeese State in Lake Charles (200K), and if Texas State and/or UTSA stay in the SLC that's two more large metro areas. The SLC commish needs to take advantage of this before another group of schools breaks away.

Which HS stadium in Corpus has 18k?

Miller? That's more like 12k, unless they've significantly added on. King and Flour Bluff are closest to the CC campus, but both of those are about 8 to 10 k, unless they've made some significant additions in the last two years...

EDIT...Okay...I fact checked. I sit corrected. They list the capacity at Buccaneer Stadium as 18k. I've actually played there and it seems much smaller....

chrisattsu
May 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Which HS stadium in Corpus has 18k?

Miller? That's more like 12k, unless they've significantly added on. King and Flour Bluff are closest to the CC campus, but both of those are about 8 to 10 k, unless they've made some significant additions in the last two years...

EDIT...Okay...I fact checked. I sit corrected. They list the capacity at Buccaneer Stadium as 18k. I've actually played there and it seems much smaller....

The rumors that I have heard said that they would play at Buccaneer Stadium if they got a team going.

I have a question about Corpus--

With all of the recent problems they have run into with Basketball, Tennis, and Volleyball, Is it a good idea to look at adding a football program if they cannot maintain institutional control on the sports they currently have?