PDA

View Full Version : Hampton University (6-0)

HIUguy08
October 9th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hey AGS!!!

Im new up here, Im a regular poster on meacfans.com. I just want to know what do you guys think of the undefeated Hampton Unviersity football team?

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2005, 08:53 PM
They are #2 in my poll but you won't find many that feel the same way.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have them in my Top 10 vote. I vote for people who win, unlike some others around here. :D

colgate13
October 9th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I have them at #11. A 6-0 start is nothing to sneeze at. Keep it up Pirates!

rokamortis
October 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Hey AGS!!!

Im new up here, Im a regular poster on meacfans.com. I just want to know what do you guys think of the undefeated Hampton Unviersity football team?

I think it is great. You guys are definitely taking names. I have you ranked in the top 5.

How do you guys feel you will finish in the MEAC?

ngineer
October 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I got you a #9. Being undefeated is a tremendous feat regardless of league. You got some stiffer competition coming up. Take care of business and we'll take care of you ;)

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Hey AGS!!!

Welcome aboard, HIUguy! We need more MEAC fans here, especially Pirate fans.

You guys look like a lock for the MEAC and playoffs. As always, your schedule hurts your ranking with most folks. Unfortunately, the rest of the MEAC does not appear very good this year. The big question with the Pirates is their offense, but Saturday's win showed a little promise there.

If you guys run the table, and the Tribe manages to get in at 8-3, I'd look for a first round rematch at Armstrong. I hope we go 9-2 and get to be at home, but playing the Pirates again would be fantastic. Your fans were great last year at Zable, and that was one exciting game.

Sam Adams
October 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
The chances of the tribe running the table in the A10 and going 9-2 are slim to none. 8-3 would be a surprise. Best of luck with NU at Parsons on Saturday.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
The chances of the tribe running the table in the A10 and going 9-2 are slim to none. 8-3 would be a surprise. Best of luck with NU at Parsons on Saturday.

Thanks, although somehow I doubt your sincerity. Apparently you know more about our team than I do.

Parsons is always a challenge. Just ask Georgia Southern.

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I've got them at 12 and honestly should have them higher. Easily could run the table this year and get a home game or two.

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I have them at #9. Competition has not been great, so we'll see.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks, although somehow I doubt your sincerity. Apparently you know more about our team than I do.

Parsons is always a challenge. Just ask Georgia Southern.
And you can thank us for shutting NU out 27-0 last week and getting them fired up for your game. ;)

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I've got Hampton @#8.

HIUguy08
October 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Welcome aboard, HIUguy! We need more MEAC fans here, especially Pirate fans.

You guys look like a lock for the MEAC and playoffs. As always, your schedule hurts your ranking with most folks. Unfortunately, the rest of the MEAC does not appear very good this year. The big question with the Pirates is their offense, but Saturday's win showed a little promise there.

If you guys run the table, and the Tribe manages to get in at 8-3, I'd look for a first round rematch at Armstrong. I hope we go 9-2 and get to be at home, but playing the Pirates again would be fantastic. Your fans were great last year at Zable, and that was one exciting game.

Well if everything goes through and we end up playing W&M again we are going to need some better refs this time. (2004 playoffs and 1998 controversial calls)

HIUguy08
October 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
ummm, I guess I have to be the one (see the other threads). Hampton doesn't deserve a top 10 (or maybe even top 20 ranking) because they have played no one and have yet to show me they are going to be consistent. I am certainly not hating on the Pirates but I guess I am expecting more. Once they get that offense geared up they will be a top 20 team but I don't think they can prove they are top 10 because of that weak schedule even though they shouldn't lose a game this year. It will be their playoff game that will prove that.

GPI Rank
28 25.44 Hampton wins:

79 61.89 Jackson State
85 64.78 Howard
82 62.78 North Carolina A&T
101 76.00 Morgan State
70 53.44 Delaware State
76 59.78 Gardner-Webb

The offense is doing fine we have the best running back tandem in all of I-AA. Besides defenses wins championships and with our defense we can go a long way!!

JALMOND
October 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
HIUguy, welcome. Six wins out of the gate does look impressive. However, your opponents would hardly cause a blip on any of the heavies conference radar screens. I know you can only play what the schedule dictates and 6-0 is impressive these days, but anywhere from 20-25 would be about right. You are on the right side of the country and can gain a few spots from the east coast bias, but right now I have you pegged at about sixth in the Big Sky.

That said, it is good to see Hampton back on the I-AA football map. Good luck the rest of the season.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Well if everything goes through and we end up playing W&M again we are going to need some better refs this time. (2004 playoffs and 1998 controversial calls)

Don't recall anything so bad last year, but you're on the money about '98. As I recall, the MEAC fired 3 of those refs after the game.

adrianb
October 11th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Here are some
Pics (http://www.adrianb.us/GW/hampton/index.html) from Saturday.
Hampton has a really good team, and I would love to see what they could do in the playoffs.
http://www.adrianb.us/GW/hampton/slides/IMG_0258.JPG

HIUguy08
October 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Here are some
Pics (http://www.adrianb.us/GW/hampton/index.html) from Saturday.
Hampton has a really good team, and I would love to see what they could do in the playoffs.
http://www.adrianb.us/GW/hampton/slides/IMG_0258.JPG

nice pictures Adrianb :)

89Hen
October 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
The strength of schedule is a moot argument, because we can only play who is put in front of us. Strength of schedule is used as a reason to shaft deserving teams all the time
While I agree that Hampton is a good team this year, how is it a moot arguement? Would you argue that a 10-0 Robert Morris in 2000 was deserving the #1 spot in I-AA since they were the only undefeated team? :confused:

JMU2004
October 11th, 2005, 06:39 PM
While I agree that Hampton is a good team this year, how is it a moot arguement? Would you argue that a 10-0 Robert Morris in 2000 was deserving the #1 spot in I-AA since they were the only undefeated team? :confused:

LOL..I agree.... SOS is and SHOULD be a big part of the ranking. I can name at least 5 teams from the A-10 who would go undefeated with the Hampton schedule

JALMOND
October 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Hampton fans, you are right in that you can only play your schedule. However, you need to evaluate your schedule (especially out of conference) and see how others would fare as well. Would they roll through your schedule, much like you did? Our out of conference schedule at Portland State this year was Oregon State (member BCS Pac-10), UC-Davis (the week after we played them, they beat Pac-10 Stanford), N Colorado (provisional member of the Big Sky, maybe the easiest non conference this season) and Boise St (owns a 27-game DI-A home winning streak). How would Hampton do with that out of conference schedule? You can upgrade, you are on the imaginary line separating A-10 (to the north) and the Southern (to the south). No smack intended, to go 6-0 is a great feat, but I say you are a Top 20 team at best and nothing higher.

putter
October 13th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I agree with JALMOND. You can not do anything about your conference opponents and how strong they are but if you want respect then step up and load your OOC schedule with I-AA upper teams. Then when we look at your record of 6-0 and you have played a difficult OOC schedule, you WILL get respect, period.

Pete's Weekly
October 13th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Pete's Power Poll this week:

1. Cal-Poly
2. Hampton
3. Western Kentucky
4. Southern Illinois
5. Montana
6. New Hampshire
7. James Madison
8. Massachusetts
9. Furman
10. S. Carolina State

Hampton's strength is the only thing keeping them out of the top spot. However, they win when they are supposed to win ... what more can you say? And Jackson and SCS are very good programs ... especially SCS this year. I don't think the play-off scenario is the real test. It is not fair to take teams that consistently see the post-season and put them up against those that do not. (especially when they ended up low seeds).

First rounds:

96: A&M had Troy
97: Hampton had YSU & A&M had GSU
98: HAmpton had UCONN & A&M finally won a game against Troy yet.
99: A&T finally had a good match & beat TSU.

The post-season is a new season, everyone is 0-0. It takes time for teams to develop consistency in the regular season, and the post season. Consistency in the regular-season brings higher seeds in the play-off, then a greater chance for a first-round win. Teams like A&M (96-99) and A&T continually improved & eventually won in the post-season. In 02 B-C drew GSU & lost, then in 03, with a little post-season experience, they did well against FAU. In 04, Hampton did well against W&M, should have won. I think they could do more in 05. Yes, much of it has to do with the lower seeding of teams with the more limited post-season experience. You have to take the regular season, and post-season as separate entities. If you do not, then there is no explanation as to why the SWAC had no real post-season success.

JMU2004
October 13th, 2005, 09:33 PM

1. Cal-Poly
2. Hampton
3. Western Kentucky
4. Southern Illinois
5. Montana
6. New Hampshire
7. James Madison
8. Massachusetts
9. Furman
10. S. Carolina State

Hampton's strength is the only thing keeping them out of the top spot. However, they win when they are supposed to win ... what more can you say? And Jackson and SCS are very good programs ... especially SCS this year. I don't think the play-off scenario is the real test. It is not fair to take teams that consistently see the post-season and put them up against those that do not. (especially when they ended up low seeds).

First rounds:

The post-season is a new season, everyone is 0-0. It takes time for teams to develop consistency in the regular season, and the post season. Consistency in the regular-season brings higher seeds in the play-off, then a greater chance for a first-round win. Teams like A&M (96-99) and A&T continually improved & eventually won in the post-season. In 02 B-C drew GSU & lost, then in 03, with a little post-season experience, they did well against FAU. In 04, Hampton did well against W&M, should have won. I think they could do more in 05. Yes, much of it has to do with the lower seeding of teams with the more limited post-season experience. You have to take the regular season, and post-season as separate entities. If you do not, then there is no explanation as to why the SWAC had no real post-season success.

Thats just crap....play who is on the schedule? sure.....but Towson has won bigger games than Hampton has. HU has beaten up on an easy schedule. Give them a playoff bid, but keep them around #15 where they belong. The MEAC isn't exactly hard to win.

putter
October 13th, 2005, 10:05 PM
The play-off scenario is THE real test. You will be playing the best of the best and see how you match up. If you are a quality team then you will do just fine-it doesn't mean you will win but you should compete. Look at 2003 we went to McNeese and got beat but it was a great game and last year we played very good teams in NW State, New Hampshire and Sam Houston so you find out pretty quick just how good you really are!

Tailbone
October 13th, 2005, 11:05 PM

1. Cal-Poly
2. Hampton
3. Western Kentucky
4. Southern Illinois
5. Montana
6. New Hampshire
7. James Madison
8. Massachusetts
9. Furman
10. S. Carolina State

First rounds:

DAMN!
Pete's always got the best drugs! :D

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Every time I think Pete has expressed his idiocy to the maximum extent possible, he proves me wrong. That analysis is outlandish and nonsensical.

It must be drugs! :nod:

TigerFan17
October 14th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I am positive we could put together a team from these board members and beat half the teams hampton beat. Easily.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I have them around 10 - can't remember where exactly, but certainly no lower than 12 - you can't argue with the record, but SOS has to be considered. As for not being able to schedule teams, you have to be able to find somebody - Jackson St, Gardner-Webb, and Savanah St is just brutal in terms of SOS. How come Coastal can schedule teams like Appy St and JMU and Hampton can't schedule one decent OOC (Jackson St used to be good but hasn't been for awhile now)? The Southland teams need to schedule lots of OOC games so they would be a good source of games (plus if you're playing SWAC teams geography is no excuse not to play Southland teams). Who do you know has specifically told Hampton no?

siugrad99
October 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I'm sure SIU would be interested in a call to play Hampton.

blueballs
October 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Now, now, guys.

No need to diss Hampton over their schedule. You can only beat the teams you play week end and week out. That's what the playoffs are for. Regardless of who played whom and who didn't, we all get to cut to the chase for 4 weeks come November.

siugrad99
October 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Very true, BUT that being said each school is responsible for scheduling their Out of Conference teams and Hampton has a reputation of not scheduling anyone they think might beat them. Lets just compare their OOC to Kansas State in 1A . Cream Puffs, you may not like to hear it, but you can't deny the facts if you wish to take a look. Only way to get people to stop saying it is go out and beat someone you shouldn't beat and unfortunately your schedule doesn't pose much of a challege for that to happen.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Now, now, guys.

No need to diss Hampton over their schedule. You can only beat the teams you play week end and week out. That's what the playoffs are for. Regardless of who played whom and who didn't, we all get to cut to the chase for 4 weeks come November.

I have no problem with that - the playoffs are the great equalizer. But Hampton hurts themselves with this schedule - if they played maybe two decent OOC teams and went unbeaten they're talking a seed. Playing the schedule they play, they'll never be a seed and playing at home in the playoffs, while no sure thing, is a big boost.

bandl
October 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM
They are a mighty good team to be reckoned with though...I saw them play at W&M last year in the playoffs and they put a big scare in those folks. Being the away team didn't seem to phase them in the least...they just got a little worn out towards the end. They looked might confident the one time I saw them this year (ala TV...can't make it to them all ;) )...don't let the point totals fool you. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a game this year in the playoffs. Win out Hampton, and I'll be one fan that will be vary of seeing your name opposite mine in the playoff brackets...

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
W&L?........TRY W&M!.........SORRY bandl....BUT BOO-BOOS LIKE DAT ON DIS BO'....WILL GET YA SWINGIN' FROM UH TALL HICKORY.....ON DUH WEST COAST BIAS SIDE O' PLAY-OFF CONTENDERS..........AN' DUH UMA$$ CONTINGENT..HERE IN DUH EAST!...........;):):cool::rolleyes::)............ ...AWK!

JALMOND
October 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
It is good for Hampton to be back. Like I mentioned before, regardless of your competition, a 6-0 start is pretty dang good. Come playoff time, come out to Missoula or Bozeman or Cheney. A good showing out here and I'll change my tune.

If Portland State had to fly across the country for a first round game a few years ago, Hampton can return the favor this year.

HIUguy08
October 15th, 2005, 11:39 PM
It is good for Hampton to be back. Like I mentioned before, regardless of your competition, a 6-0 start is pretty dang good. Come playoff time, come out to Missoula or Bozeman or Cheney. A good showing out here and I'll change my tune.

If Portland State had to fly across the country for a first round game a few years ago, Hampton can return the favor this year.

Make that 7-0, def Norfolk State 55-14, but next week will be the Hampton's toughest game this year as they battle #23 South Carolina St. for the MEAC championship on homecoming!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Make that 7-0, def Norfolk State 55-14, but next week will be the Hampton's toughest game this year as they battle #23 South Carolina St. for the MEAC championship on homecoming!!!!

Hampton will have a chance to show the rest of the I-AA nation how good they really are this season. Good luck to the Pirates!

NYSigma
October 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hey HIU08 Guy I'm here too!!!

(SWABBY CLASS 1980)

I was at the game tonight and Hampton has something to prove. Look out IAA if we run the table and get a well deserved 1st round game at home!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Hey HIU08 Guy I'm here too!!!

(SWABBY CLASS 1980)

I was at the game tonight and Hampton has something to prove. Look out IAA if we run the table and get a well deserved 1st round game at home!!!!

Maybe a JMU or W&M at Hampton playoff game? That would be fun.

NYSigma
October 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I wish everyone would stop referring to the SC State game as the game which decides the championship!! We have two conference games AFTER the SC State game so we could beat SC State and lose two games and not win the title.

JALMOND
October 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM
OK, let me be blunt here. How could Hampton host a playoff game playing a MEAC conference schedule????!!!! Face it, the MEAC is not a tough conference by any standard. Give Northern Arizona Hampton's schedule and they would be undefeated as well. 7-0 is a great start, but geez, look at who you're playing.