PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Toss-up

ngineer
October 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM
League play has barely gotten underway, but already it is not business as usual. Rejuvenated Holy Cross literally stole a win from Lehigh (receiver took expected interception out of db's hands in endzone), to create a new buzz. Assuming this loss doesn't demoralize the Mountain Hawks causing them to flutter away, this is now a four way battle, with, I hate to admit it, Lafayette on the inside track. I say that because of their defense and, to me, championships start with defense. Colgate, who seemed to be searching after a roller coaster start, but their win over a decent Princeton team at Princeton made a statement to me that the Raiders will be there to be dealt with.
On paper, Lehigh should run the table. But the boys in brown are learning that the game isn't played on paper, but in mud, grass and dirt. I still see the Crusaders losing to Colgate and Lafayette, but acknowledge that there isn't a lot of difference among the teams right now. I haven't the time, yet, but is there a way a four way tie could occur? This is eerily familiar to a scenario a couple years ago when Fordham, Colgate, Lafayette, and Lehigh all had 'shots' at co-championships going into the final week.

lugo02
October 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I don't see a four way tie happening but a 3 way tie is likely.
A four way team would require at least 2 loses per team

3-Way (Play-off teams chosen by a vote)
Holy Cross beats Lehigh
Lehigh Beat Lafayette
Lafayette beats Holy Cross

colgate13
October 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate and Holy Cross could all win the thing. Colgate starts PL play next week, so it's all big games from here on out.

I actually think Holy Cross has the inside track: Colgate and Lafayette at home, Bucknell and Fordham left on the road.

It will be an interesting ride to the finish to say the least.

Lafalumni29
October 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
This is much more interesting than one or two teams dominating the league.

colgate13
October 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
This is much more interesting than one or two teams dominating the league.

Well, yes... unless you're one of the teams doing the dominating!

But from a general perspective, yes. :)

ngineer
October 9th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Well, yes... unless you're one of the teams doing the dominating!

But from a general perspective, yes. :)

Isn't that one of the famous 'ethnic curses'? "May you live in interesting times." :( :D :p ;) :eek:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2005, 02:47 AM
IMO, too early to say anything without Colgate having played any league games.

The only way a 4-way tie could happen is if Bucknell, Fordham, and G'Town, I beleve, play a spoiler role, and all the contenders have at least 2 league losses. Could that happen? Yeah, but I don't think it will.

Pard94
October 10th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I'm still waiting for Lafayette's offense to break out. It wouldn't be fair to expect a breakout performance this past weekend due to the monsoon. Perhaps Lafayatte is like the New England Patriots (quite a stretch I know), in that they play just well enough to win. They don't blow anybody out...but they win. If they beat Havard by a field goal next week, I might actually start believeing that. In the mean time...Lehigh remains very dangerous, Colgate, as we know, has reloaded, and if the Cross didn't win another game I would still call their season a success given preseason expectations. What a year!

TheValleyRaider
October 10th, 2005, 05:28 PM
It is going to be an absolute dogfight right down to the end of the season for these 4 teams. Fordham still strikes me as being a possible spoiler, but not much more (sorry Rams). Holy Cross has a significant advantage having both Colgate and Lafayette in Worcester this season. Lehigh does get the Leopards in Goodman, but also travels to Hamilton. Lafayette has the toughest stretch of games, closing out the season vs. Colgate, @Holy Cross, then @Lehigh. From the looks of the schedule, there's a matchup between each of the 4 for the last 5 weeks of the season. Should be wild.

The Big Matchups (and other PL games):
10/22-Colgate at Holy Cross (also LU@BU)
10/29-Lehigh at Colgate (BU@LC, HC@FU)
11/5-Colgate at Lafayette (GU@LU)
11/12-Lafayette at Holy Cross (BU@CU, LU@FU)
11/19-Lafayette at Lehigh (CU@GU, HC@BU)