PDA

View Full Version : Georgia St-Lamar Football Opener?

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
This is a home and home that makes plenty of sense. Hope Lamar opens it up against Georgia State and vice-versa.

It’s still more than two years off, but an intriguing opener for Lamar University’s football program would be Georgia State. Especially if Dan Reeves decides to become the Panthers head coach, which he is considering after spending the last year serving as a consultant to the school in its buildup to launch football in 2010. The former Dallas Cowboy great was the head coach in Denver when new LU coach Ray Woodard played for the Broncos, and his strong recommendation helped Cardinal AD Billy Tubbs settle on Woodard. Woodard said on Sportsrap Monday night he’d be interesting in playing and possibly opening against Georgia State. The Atlanta-based school, which has an enrollment of 27,000, will play its home games in the Georgia Dome .

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_145191532.html?keyword=topstory

Bull_Dawgin83
May 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm excited that GSU finally will have a football program. I would have gone there if they had football when I was in HS because they recruited me to run track. But football was the deciding factor....anyway...GSU and Lamar would make a great opener for both programs!

centexguy
May 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
That would be a fun opener for both schools, especially playing in the Georgia Dome, although who knows what size crowd will be there. In the past Lamar has played in the Astrodome and the Superdome so this will add another dome to the list. And when UTSA starts playing football then maybe Lamar can play in the Alamodome too.

McTailGator
May 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
That would be a fun opener for both schools, especially playing in the Georgia Dome, although who knows what size crowd will be there. In the past Lamar has played in the Astrodome and the Superdome so this will add another dome to the list. And when UTSA starts playing football then maybe Lamar can play in the Alamodome too.

Another possible opponet for Lamar would be South Alabama, which is basically the same schedule for start up as Lamar and GeoSt.

Also, the 3 schools should ask the NCAA to be allowed to conduct a series of home and home scrimages against each other in 2009.

That would be 4 scrimages against other simular opponents for each of you, which beats "Playing with Yourselves"... :o

http://www.uiw.edu/athletics/football/news.html

http://www.uiw.edu/athletics/news/images/foots-black-uniform.jpg

Incarnate Word out of San Antonio, will start up football as a D-II school in 2009. They might make a good regular season opponent for Lamar in 2010. Former SFA coach Mike Santigo, is the head coach, and he coached for Lamar in the late 70's and early 80's.

If McNeese has to host a D-II team in 2009 or beyond, I would hope we give Santago a call. He was a 9 year McNeese assistant, and said some stupid things about our fans prior to his games in Cowboy Stadium as the SFA coach. We sell a lot of tickets right behind his bench when he's in town. (;

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Forgot all about Incarnate Word and their start-up football program. I guess it's a good think Santiago has been out of the news. Hopefully he'll get a few SLC games on his slate. We all know he has the contacts and friends around the league to make that happen...

jcf5445
May 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'm excited about so many schools starting football teams. I think all of them have the potential to do well.

Also, I thought South Alabama was playing a full schedule in 2009 and moving to FBS and Sun Belt ASAP. Does somebody know something that I don't?

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Also, I thought South Alabama was playing a full schedule in 2009 and moving to FBS and Sun Belt ASAP. Does somebody know something that I don't?

They have to play FCS at first. They will be full FBS in 2013. FCS in 2009 and 2010. Begin transition in 2011 and into 2012.

Here is their timeline...

http://www.usajaguars.com/fls/8300/Football/Timeline.pdf