Maine (0-2, 2-3)
South Division
James Madison (2-0, 4-1)
Richmond (2-1, 2-3)
Towson (2-2, 4-2)
William & Mary (1-1, 3-2)
Villanova (1-2, 2-3)
Delaware (0-2, 3-2)

Please comment on how you feel this past weekend's results will affect the race for the A10 title and for playoff spots...

JMU Duke Dog
October 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM
:confused: No comments at all?

blur2005
October 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Not a lot to say. Delaware's loss doesn't shock me, as their own people on here seem to be talking about their struggles. Towson impresses me, just because they went from never winning in the A-10 to back-to-back wins in the A-10 this season.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 05:59 AM
The big development this week is obviously the Tribes convincing win over New Hampshire. Many on here and the CAA Zone were writing W&M off after the inexplicable performance at URI. Even a 56-0 win over Liberty saw the Tribe drop 3 spots in the poll.

In retrospect, the Tribes win over UNH resembled a typical JMU performance. Punishing running game, run defense, drive-breaking defensive stops, big special teams plays, timely and efficient passing.

W&M will likely be favored in all its remaining games except JMU. 8-3 or 9-2 now looks achievable.

Sam Adams
October 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM
W&M will likely be favored in all its remaining games except JMU. 8-3 or 9-2 now looks achievable.

W&M played a good game. But they are still the same team that lost to URI. W&M is a decent A10 team which means they can lose to anybody else in the A10. I could see them losing any of their remaining games: NU on the road, Towson, Nova on the road, JMU, UD and on the road at Richmond.

There are 3 teams in the hunt for the A10 title: UMass, JMU and UNH. UMass and JMU get it on this weekend in Amherst. Whoever emerges from that game with the W will be in the driver's seat.

Its early still but I see 3 playoff teams coming out of the A10.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
W&M played a good game. But they are still the same team that lost to URI. W&M is a decent A10 team which means they can lose to anybody else in the A10. I could see them losing any of their remaining games: NU on the road, Towson, Nova on the road, JMU, UD and on the road at Richmond.
There are 3 teams in the hunt for the A10 title: UMass, JMU and UNH. UMass and JMU get it on this weekend in Amherst. Whoever emerges from that game with the W will be in the driver's seat.

Only one that matters now is this week at quirky Parsons Field. I hope the rest of the A-10 continues to think of us as you do.

The JMU-UMass game will certainly yield a front runner. UMass is hitting the part of their schedule where they better find some offense.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Only one that matters now is this week at quirky Parsons Field. I hope the rest of the A-10 continues to think of us as you do.

The JMU-UMass game will certainly yield a front runner. UMass is hitting the part of their schedule where they better find some offense.
Our offense scores when needed... only game we struggled in was the colgate game... Coach Brown does not like to show alot if he doesnt have to... he is not a coach that blows teams out for no reason... if we score easy to start, he runs the clock for the W.

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Delaware's loss doesn't shock me, as their own people on here seem to be talking about their struggles. Towson impresses me, just because they went from never winning in the A-10 to back-to-back wins in the A-10 this season.
You know, the real ironic thing is that Hen fans have been the biggest Towson supporters since it was announced they would be joining the A10.

DTSpider
October 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I still can't believe that Delaware could only put up 6 on Hofstra. They better come to play this weekend. Richmond's young and actually have some confidence.

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I still can't believe that Delaware could only put up 6 on Hofstra.
An unimaginative offense, a QB that couldn't hit the ground with a ball, a field covered in 8" of soft mud... :(

HensRock
October 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I disagree 89.
Our QB could hit the ground with the ball, but only on 3rd and long.

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I disagree 89.
Yeah, poor choice of sayings. :(

89Hen
October 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I disagree 89.
Yeah, poor choice of sayings. :( How about couldn't hit the ground if he were trying to hit the ground.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Our offense scores when needed... .

So you only scored 14 against Rhode Island by design? Yeah, I know, you kneeled at the 1 to end the game. :rolleyes:

If you get an early lead against JMU, I wouldn't suggest trying to sit on it. ;)

GannonFan
October 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I disagree 89.

And almost all 3rd downs have become 3rd and long. Wouldn't mind a few 3rd and shorts every now and then.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Frankly William & Mary has to be included in a list of teams within the hunt! No worries, things will clear up each week through October!!

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM
So you only scored 14 against Rhode Island by design? Yeah, I know, you kneeled at the 1 to end the game. :rolleyes:

If you get an early lead against JMU, I wouldn't suggest trying to sit on it. ;)

The URI game could have ended 28-6 but didnt. Coach tried kicking a fg instead but missed and as you stated kneeled at the 1. They were not moving the ball much vs our D so we werent pressed to score. I know for a fact that we wont sit on the ball vs JMU.

BTW thanks for the 1 game lead in the North!

Sam Adams
October 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Frankly William & Mary has to be included in a list of teams within the hunt! No worries, things will clear up each week through October!!

The Tribe is tied for 3d place in the A10 south. If I included the Tribe as a team currently in the hunt - then I might as well include all the teams. Its probably too early to tell for sure who is legit.

Sam Adams
October 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM

UMass managed 27 points against NU. 21 of those points were from the offense. It will be interesting to see how the Tribe offense fares against the Huskies at Parsons.

One of the nicer things about 1AA is that due to our playoff system, there is not incentive to run up the score on teams when victory is not in doubt. UMass showed good sportsmanship by taking a knee at the 1 against URI. Should 1AA coaches be encouraged to run up the score or should we encourage sportsmanship?

Uncle Buck
October 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
You can't judge that HU score against Delaware as anything more or less than it is. The field conditions were not conducive to scoring points let alone trying to play football. My question is what will the field look like for next week, no way it recovers this season.

charliej
October 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Totally agree. They have a favorable sched,toughest game will be JMU & they get the Dukes at Williamsburg. JMU & UNH look to be the most likely,(at this point anyway),take the north & south divisions.Should the A10 get three to the playoffs,I feel it will come down to UMass or W&M as the third.I dont see four getting in with the parity in IAA this year.

That is of course unless Towson continues to dominate & screw everything up. :D ;)

TigerFan17
October 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Now after these two wins, I'm of course ecstatic.

However...we get Nova and Richmond at home, which I think we can win both. But, we get JMU and W&M on the road...I don't see us winning at either locale.

I think, at this point, the season will pan out as following...

at Liberty - W ... If we lose here, change all of the following games to L and I will jump off a bridge.

at W&M - L ... They romped UNH, who romped us. We beat URI who beat them. However, they will beat us.

Nova - W/L ... I can't decide on this one, winnable for both teams. I'll say W, cause I'm a Towson fan. :D

Richmond - W ... I think we can win this one.

at JMU - L ... Nope.

So we could very realistically according to my predictions, which I don't think are all that crazy, finish 7-4 and .500 in conference (4-4).

th0m
October 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
7-4, 4-4 in conference would definitely be a good year for Towson to build on, and will undoubtedly be a huge confidence builder for years to come. How about playoffs next year? :D

TigerFan17
October 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm just trying to get through this season on the a higher number in the W column first. :D

Really happy and proud of them though, as we are under-matched pretty much every A10 game we go into. They're showing a lot of heart. However, we have some injuries piling up and we don't have the depth the rest of the A10 has. Great for recruiting to say we went 7-4 in this league, and that will help guarantee success in the future.