PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Northeastern images are up

Umass74
October 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM
I've loaded some images of the UMass-Northeastern game on my UMass Football Blog.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/)

Rain was steady in the first half and a deluge in the second...

Tribe4SF
October 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Now I see why the offensive outputs were so low. Rained all day at W&M also, but the field was in much better shape than that.

Umass74
October 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM
As I have said in pervious posts, McGuirk was built on a swamp and returns to its primordial state when it rains.

I doubt that any real grass surface would have been very good after 2 to 4 inches of rain in that short a time. It was just a torrent in the second half.

UMass Friends of Football is trying to raise funs for field turf and lights. That should fix the problem.

Hansel
October 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Nice pics, if you scroll through them you can see the field slowly deteriorate

FlyBoy8
October 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
That field looks heavenly when compared to the mess I saw at Delaware yesterday.

Umass74
October 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Flyboy8:

I watched a tape of the Hens game (it was re-broadcast on CSTV at midnight) and I was surprised how bad the field was.

Didn't seem to be raining anywhere as bad as the UMass game.

mainejeff
October 9th, 2005, 03:02 PM
When is UMass going I-A? :rolleyes:

Umass74
October 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
When is UMass going I-A?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Alum in 51
October 9th, 2005, 04:13 PM
The one picture that captures the true essence of the misery on that field is the one with the tuba players in the foreground and the UMass players standing ankle-deep in mud.

Field turf may make a game played in these conditions cleaner, but not necessarily easier. If McGuirk is built on a swamp then drainage will always be an issue. You could lay field turf down, but a rainstorm like that will have the players sloshing around in the shallow end of the pool if there is no place for the water to drain.

My shoes are still drying out!

Umass74
October 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM
My shoes are still drying out!

So are mine. They're on top of the furnace to see if the heat will make a difference. :)

Sam Adams
October 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
It was wet & muddy. Western New England has had record rainfalls for this time of the year.

McGuirk was not as bad as the conditions at the Tub however.

Good Pictures. Convincing win for UMass. Next up: The Mighty Dukes.

umassfan
October 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
UMass has lost just 1 home game that I have been at over the last 4 years and that was in 03 to Hofstra with Tim Day making the start. I see our D being too much for the Dukes to overcome. :D

saint0917
October 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM
So are mine. They're on top of the furnace to see if the heat will make a difference. :)

I think my shoes will will be dry by next week. :p

Umass74
October 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
UMass has lost just 1 home game that I have been at over the last 4 years and that was in 03 to Hofstra with Tim Day making the start. I see our D being too much for the Dukes to overcome

Hey, this is an authentic BIG GAME. We are leading the A10 North and JMU rules the A10 South.

The long range forecast is iffy with rain showers. After Saturday, just about any rain short of the monsoon is "showers" :)

Husky Alum
October 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I too sat in the rain at McQuagmire. Drove 2 hours both ways to see the debacle.

Couple of questions...

1. Can we revoke the degree from the guy who counted the attendance? 4,500 people? No freaking way there were 4,500 people, even if you counted those on the field.

2. How come 1/2 of the UMass band marched without instruments? Not sure if anyone noticed, but most of the band members were faking it.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I too sat in the rain at McQuagmire. Drove 2 hours both ways to see the debacle.

Couple of questions...

1. Can we revoke the degree from the guy who counted the attendance? 4,500 people? No freaking way there were 4,500 people, even if you counted those on the field.

2. How come 1/2 of the UMass band marched without instruments? Not sure if anyone noticed, but most of the band members were faking it.
That might be because of the rain? Just a thought!

Umass74
October 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM
How come 1/2 of the UMass band marched without instruments? Not sure if anyone noticed, but most of the band members were faking it.

Hey, I noticed that too! I've had season tickets since 1976 and the number of home games I've missed can be counted on one hand. But that was a new one on me. I'll ask around.

I'm SURE that Delaware had something to do with it ;) ;)

Husky Alum
October 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM
We figured it might have something to do with the rain, since it seemed like the woodwind instruments were "missing", but I've got to admit it was one of the funnier things I've seen.

These kids were mime-ing using their instruments. Heck, I give em all the credit in the world for being there, it just looked hysterical.

I never saw so many UMass girls fake it at the same time before. ;)

blur2005
October 10th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I've loaded some images of the UMass-Northeastern game on my UMass Football Blog.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/)

Rain was steady in the first half and a deluge in the second...
Hopefully the weather for JMU-UMass won't be like this...though I think that would actually favor the Dukes, but I like the weather to not be a big factor in any game, much less in a game of such importance.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Hopefully the weather for JMU-UMass won't be like this...though I think that would actually favor the Dukes, but I like the weather to not be a big factor in any game, much less in a game of such importance.

Please tell me how this would favor the Dukes?

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
We figured it might have something to do with the rain, since it seemed like the woodwind instruments were "missing", but I've got to admit it was one of the funnier things I've seen.

These kids were mime-ing using their instruments. Heck, I give em all the credit in the world for being there, it just looked hysterical.

I never saw so many UMass girls fake it at the same time before. ;)
Those girls that you speak of would be the flag/ whatever else they are girls... they usually do not play instruments.

Husky Alum
October 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM
No, they weren't flag girls. Not unless 1/3 of the band is "flag girls" and some of them were guys. Now unless you're telling me that you guys recruit Smith students to march in your band, your comment holds NO water - no pun intended. (Note: For those posters who have no clue what that comment meant, there are a bunch of colleges in the greater Amherst area. One of them is Smith College - an all women's college that's notorious for women who sway towards an alternative lifestyle and are, shall we say, somewhat masculine).

Listen, I was at the game, one of your posters was at the game and saw the exact same thing. We're not passing judgement, it's just funny that they'd be marching and "pretending" to play instruments. It was a freaking monsoon, so no one is being accusatory.

We know you see the world through UMass colored glasses where nothing is done wrong in Amherst, but lighten up a bit.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM
No, they weren't flag girls. Not unless 1/3 of the band is "flag girls" and some of them were guys. Now unless you're telling me that you guys recruit Smith students to march in your band, your comment holds NO water - no pun intended.

Listen, I was at the game, one of your posters was at the game and saw the exact same thing. We're not passing judgement, it's just funny that they'd be marching and "pretending" to play instruments. It was a freaking monsoon, so no one is being accusatory.

We know you see the world through UMass colored glasses where nothing is done wrong in Amherst, but lighten up a bit.

I was also at the game... I remember seeing the flag girls without anything... I saw your girl comment so that is why I said that. I dont blame the band for their actions... They have a reason for what they did. Funny or not... they still tried their best under the conditions.