PDA

View Full Version : ODU Loading Up on Equipmen

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
Probably not something we think about, but ODU's equipment man has got a busy job on his hands...

ODU equipment manager planning for football squad's needs
By Rich Radford
The Virginian-Pilot

Jerry Fife would circle July 16 on his calendar, but it would be a waste of ink. And he doesn't like to waste anything.

Old Dominion University's equipment manager has a budget of nearly $250,000 and orders to get the Monarchs' football program up and running. After nearly seven decades without football, ODU is starting up a Division I-AA program this fall and will begin play in 2009. About 75 players will stroll into ODU's shiny new practice facility Aug. 13, each one in need of gear.

For a self-described equipment "geek" like Fife, it's a dream opportunity.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

CSUBUCDAD
May 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Man that has got to be a nightmare job. 250K doesn't seem like that much for a budget when you are starting with nothing either.

Go...gate
May 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Man that has got to be a nightmare job. 250K doesn't seem like that much for a budget when you are starting with nothing either.

I was thinking the same thing. Even wholesale, that stuff adds up.

89Hen
May 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I would think that some suppliers and manufacturers would look to get a foot in the door and perhaps provide some nice discounts on a start-up program. xeyebrowx

andy7171
May 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'd take the job. Helmet and pads couldn't cost you more than $350 throw in workout gear and sweats, You are looking at still $200K for BS practice/torture equipment. Blocking sled, dummies, cones. They are going to be set up just fine!

grizband
May 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'd take the job. Helmet and pads couldn't cost you more than $350 throw in workout gear and sweats, You are looking at still $200K for BS practice/torture equipment. Blocking sled, dummies, cones. They are going to be set up just fine!
An article in the spring issue of the Montanan magazine included an article about costs to outfit the football team. Below is an excerpt from this article someone posted on egriz:

Today's Grizzlies may have up to five pairs of shoes depending on field and weather conditions. The now also have practice uniforms, workout gear, custom-fitted helmets that are adjusted before and during every game, and several Nike game-day uniforms....

...And the budget? Outfitting one Grizzly football player today costs $1,500.

Old Dominion could spend $200K alone outfitting their players with gear. I can't imagine tackling dummies, sleds, etc are cheap either.

andy7171
May 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
An article in the spring issue of the Montanan magazine included an article about costs to outfit the football team. Below is an excerpt from this article someone posted on egriz:

Today's Grizzlies may have up to five pairs of shoes depending on field and weather conditions. The now also have practice uniforms, workout gear, custom-fitted helmets that are adjusted before and during every game, and several Nike game-day uniforms....

...And the budget? Outfitting one Grizzly football player today costs $1,500.

Old Dominion could spend $200K alone outfitting their players with gear. I can't imagine tackling dummies, sleds, etc are cheap either.

FIVE pairs of shoes!?! WTF? Have they ever heard of different sized screw ins?

They aren't playing games next year, so I don't think game day uniforms are being included. I'm pretty sure that's a separate budget line anyway.

Custom fitted helmets adjusted before and during the game made me laugh. You would too if you knew what that meant and/or ever used a bike pump. :D

89Hen
May 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
FIVE pairs of shoes!?! WTF? Have they ever heard of different sized screw ins?
No kidding. I'm sure Florida State players have at least five, but Montana? xsmiley_wix

89Hen
May 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Actually, now that I think about it... Montana plays 7 games a year at home so only 4 on the road. So unless every away game is played on different surfaces, why would you need 5 pairs of shoes? Are there even 5 different kinds of surfaces on which to play?? Sprint, Astro, Grass... does the Walkup Dome have clay? xsmiley_wix

andy7171
May 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Actually, now that I think about it... Montana plays 7 games a year at home so only 4 on the road. So unless every away game is played on different surfaces, why would you need 5 pairs of shoes? Are there even 5 different kinds of surfaces on which to play?? Sprint, Astro, Grass... does the Walkup Dome have clay? xsmiley_wix

As far as I know you can wear normal cleats on FieldTurf. And by focusing on this shoes/turf subject, I fear a visit and wild hijack ride by "he who must not be named"! MPLSBISON

UAalum72
May 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Are there even 5 different kinds of surfaces on which to play?? Sprint, Astro, Grass... ? xsmiley_wix
Mud (or wet grass).

Needs extra-long cleats for traction.

and sneakers for frozen mud.