October 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
No big upsets this week:
Wofford beats Elon
GSU beats WCU
Furman beats Appalachian
Chatt. beats Liberty in non conference
Mississippi beats Citadel

So here are my rankings for this week:
1. Furman. Another big win today in a close game.
1. GSU. No one in the conference is playing better right now than the Eagles. Last 3 weeks have seen GSU score 142 and the 3 opponents score 24.

So I have Furman and GSU right now as co #1.

3. Appalachian. The gap between Furman/GSU and Appalachian is not much.
4. Wofford. A win is a win but today's win over Elon was far from impressive.
5. Chattanooga. I know Chatt. beat Wofford but overall I still have Wofford slightly in front of them.
6. WCU. Last week I wondered if I moved them down too far when I put them as #6. After today I figure I have it about right.
7. Citadel. The gap between WCU and Citadel is very, very small right now.
8. Elon. Still 8th but did have a nice effort today is narrowly losing to Wofford.

THE BIG, BIG GAME NEXT WEEK IS GSU at APPALACHIAN.

ChiefGSU275
October 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Looks good, but I would put GSU as number 3 right now, just because we still have to play ASU AT ASU, so that makes it a tough situation for our young team.

If we can control App early, and not let them get out to greater than a 1 td lead, then I like our chances. If they come out and let the "Black Saturday" hype rattle us, we could be in for a long day.

youwouldno
October 9th, 2005, 12:56 AM
GSU, Furman, Wofford, and App St. all have 1 conference loss. UTC and Citadel do too but I don't think many people view them as contenders.

At this point, the only thing that's clear is that Elon is #8-- and they played pretty well against Wofford.

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2005, 01:27 AM
until the citadel or chattanooga knock off one of the big three, i would not argue with them not being included in a contender list, but...

wofford just got past gsu in a close one (more because foster and austin couldn't handle the exchange, not because they were forcing turnovers), lost to chattanooga, and barely beat elon and you still have them as a contender?

wofford fans probably appreciated your continued support of what is obviously not as high a caliber team as they had the last couple of years.

chattanooga is now 4-2 and while some of their wins have not come against the mightiest of opponents, they now have 3 games won on last play drives...building a confidence that hopefully will pay dividends down the road (though putting their fans in cardiac arrest).

a little something i came up with tonight...

last year against wofford, liberty, jax state, and tn tech, the mocs gave up 216 points...this year 75....that is the difference between 0-4 and 4-0.

this is not the year for mocfans. still too much work to do. but the team is finally making some progress towards respectability...and are on the right track for the future (some of us have been waiting a long time)

it's nice...it is october and no one is talking about basketball yet on mocfans...we're all on the football board

:)

(with a nod to ee)

youwouldno
October 9th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I'm glad UTC has improved. I don't think Wofford is a real contender for the SoCon crown but they have been pretty good in conference play for a few years now, whereas UTC has not been. UTC did only beat Liberty by 3 and got manhandled by the GSU team Wofford beat. Both are probably middle of the road SoCon teams this year.

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I wasn't questioning UC (as a matter of fact I said I don't consider them a contender either...too young, too inexperienced, too unaccustomed to the pressure)...I was only questioning why Wofford was getting a pass...which you have now explained, basically they get a pass because they have been good the last three years...that's cool.

I don't think UC can contend...but I would be surpised at all to see them finish above Wofford...Terriers have a tougher road to hoe (imho) than the Mocs (except for GSU, the Mocs have more home games left than any school in the conference).

Speaking of roads to how, I put this together for my gameday central part of Mocfans, it might be of interest in this thread....

Standings (+ remaining SoCon games)
1. GSU 4-2 / 3-1 (@ASU / CIT / FUR)
2. WOF 3-2 / 2-1 (ASU / @CIT / @WCU / @FUR)
3. FUR 5-1 / 1-1 (@CIT / ELON / @GSU / WOF / @UC)
3. UofC 4-2 / 1-1 (@ELON / WCU / @ASU / CIT / FUR)
3. ASU 3-2 / 1-1 (GSU / @WOF / UC / WCU / @ELON)
3. CIT 2-3/ 1-1 (FUR / @GSU / WOF / @UC / ELON)
7. WCU 2-3 / 1-2 (@UC / ELON / WOF / @ASU)
8. ELON 3-3 / 0-2 (UC / @FUR / @WCU / @CIT / ASU)

Remaining OOC:
GSU (@SD State / Morehead St)
WOF (VMI / @G-Webb)
ASU (@LSU)
CIT (@VMI)

This year looks like it will be a dog fight like no other. I really can't remember a time (at least in the last 20 years) that conference was so wide open (wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of teams share...and 2-3 more just one game back)

Eagle22
October 9th, 2005, 05:39 AM
The last time the SoCon had this sort of balance was 1997 ... 6 of 9 league teams finished with a league mark 0.500 or better.

That year, only one SoCon team went to the playoffs (GSU). GSU was the only SoCon team that year to hit double digits in wins. Depending how the season plays out, it could happen again.

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2005, 06:59 AM
hmmm.....

The last time the SoCon had this sort of balance was 1997

...also the last time the Mocs had a winning record (7-4) ...first year in Finley

DotCat
October 9th, 2005, 07:15 AM
5. Chattanooga. I know Chatt. beat Wofford but overall I still have Wofford slightly in front of them.

UTC let Liberty score 21 on them, #5 maybe be to high?

catamount man
October 9th, 2005, 07:35 AM
My rankings after what I've witnessed.

1)Georgia Southern
2)Furman
3)App.State
4)Chattanooga
5)Wofford
6)Citadel
7)WCU
8)Elon

My 2 cents. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I wasn't questioning UC (as a matter of fact I said I don't consider them a contender either...too young, too inexperienced, too unaccustomed to the pressure)...I was only questioning why Wofford was getting a pass...which you have now explained, basically they get a pass because they have been good the last three years...that's cool.

I don't think UC can contend...but I would be surpised at all to see them finish above Wofford...Terriers have a tougher road to hoe (imho) than the Mocs (except for GSU, the Mocs have more home games left than any school in the conference).

Speaking of roads to how, I put this together for my gameday central part of Mocfans, it might be of interest in this thread....

Standings (+ remaining SoCon games)
1. GSU 4-2 / 3-1 (@ASU / CIT / FUR)
2. WOF 3-2 / 2-1 (ASU / @CIT / @WCU / @FUR)
3. FUR 5-1 / 1-1 (@CIT / ELON / @GSU / WOF / @UC)
3. UofC 4-2 / 1-1 (@ELON / WCU / @ASU / CIT / FUR)
3. ASU 3-2 / 1-1 (GSU / @WOF / UC / WCU / @ELON)
3. CIT 2-3/ 1-1 (FUR / @GSU / WOF / @UC / ELON)
7. WCU 2-3 / 1-2 (@UC / ELON / WOF / @ASU)
8. ELON 3-3 / 0-2 (UC / @FUR / @WCU / @CIT / ASU)

Remaining OOC:
GSU (@SD State / Morehead St)
WOF (VMI / @G-Webb)
ASU (@LSU)
CIT (@VMI)

This year looks like it will be a dog fight like no other. I really can't remember a time (at least in the last 20 years) that conference was so wide open (wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of teams share...and 2-3 more just one game back)

i hope these are not rankings as to who is the best

i think we all can agree that furman and gsu are probably 1 and 1a, and that asu is very close behind, and the gap behind that is large

app will sweep the schedule is they beat gsu, and gsu and furman still have to play each other, so that eliminates one of them for the title

honestly, looking at the schedules, i see app has the inside track, but next week will decide that

GO APPS!

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
i hope these are not rankings as to who is the best

i think we all can agree that furman and gsu are probably 1 and 1a, and that asu is very close behind, and the gap behind that is large

app will sweep the schedule is they beat gsu, and gsu and furman still have to play each other, so that eliminates one of them for the title

honestly, looking at the schedules, i see app has the inside track, but next week will decide that

GO APPS!

I think he was listing the current standings.

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
until the citadel or chattanooga knock off one of the big three, i would not argue with them not being included in a contender list, but...

wofford just got past gsu in a close one (more because foster and austin couldn't handle the exchange, not because they were forcing turnovers), lost to chattanooga, and barely beat elon and you still have them as a contender?

wofford fans probably appreciated your continued support of what is obviously not as high a caliber team as they had the last couple of years.

chattanooga is now 4-2 and while some of their wins have not come against the mightiest of opponents, they now have 3 games won on last play drives...building a confidence that hopefully will pay dividends down the road (though putting their fans in cardiac arrest).

a little something i came up with tonight...

last year against wofford, liberty, jax state, and tn tech, the mocs gave up 216 points...this year 75....that is the difference between 0-4 and 4-0.

this is not the year for mocfans. still too much work to do. but the team is finally making some progress towards respectability...and are on the right track for the future (some of us have been waiting a long time)

it's nice...it is october and no one is talking about basketball yet on mocfans...we're all on the football board

:)

(with a nod to ee)

Even with the whipping GSU put on the Mocs, the last game of the year is one that gives me concern. I know that is too far in the future, but you guys can spring a surprise on anyone. I would rather our game be in G'ville.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Here's the way I see it shaking out:

App beats GSU next week and wins out
Furman wins out, including win over GSU

That leaves ASU and Furman both with 1 loss in conference
Furman wins the conference with win over ASU

ASU and Furman both make playoffs

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM

The two toughest places to play in the SoCon are Boone and Statesboro. Fortunately, we did not see Boone this year and Statesboro is still a month away. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Even with the whipping GSU put on the Mocs, the last game of the year is one that gives me concern. I know that is too far in the future, but you guys can spring a surprise on anyone. I would rather our game be in G'ville.

I have said that it could be a trap game for the Paladins. Mocs will have nothing to lose and be at home...but more concerning for Furman is that the two weeks beforehand, you guys are at GSU and home for Wofford (whether they are off or not, you know they will bring it vs. FU)....Mocs have the Citadel at home and an off week before the home finale.

Plus, with the prospect of a winning season...hopefully it will be a pretty well attended game.

SuperEagle
October 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM

you obviously think very little of GSU. Are you gonna pick Morehead State to beat us too? :)
maybe we should just mail in the season. LOL
in all seriousness, it's time for the big 3 to prove it on the field and see who is better. while gsu is playing good ball right now,i know, App is going to be a tough place for us. I hope our boys are ready. I think they will be.

GSUhooligan
October 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Maybe

Not a chance in Hell.

thirdgendin
October 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Maybe

Not a chance in Hell.

I seem to remember a lot of GSU fans saying the same thing after our loss to App last season.

Saint3333
October 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I see the game next week in Boone as the deciding game for the SoCon championship. I don't see GSU losing to Furman at home. The game might be another 34-31 game like yesterday's ASU-Furman game, but I predict GSU will be the winner.

That said UTC and WCU could still make some noise in the conference and Citadel in Charleston is tough for some teams. It's nice to see the SoCon getting tougher in the middle.

GSUhooligan
October 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I seem to remember a lot of GSU fans saying the same thing after our loss to App last season.

Last season we were playing against the officiating crew out of Spartanburg. I don't see us having the same results @ home.

youwouldno
October 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Last season we were playing against the officiating crew out of Spartanburg. I don't see us having the same results @ home.

Ah back to blaming the refs, are we? Must have been a ref that snuck in to level Chaz Williams on the 1-yard line late in the game.

From a more rational, or maybe just more intelligent perspective, GSU has played the role of an enigma this year. Losing at home to McNeese is not exactly something to be proud of, but the Eagles obviously have gotten better over the course of the year. Given how Furman played against WCU, I'd say the same of the Paladins.

Nonetheless, GSU's defense is not what it was. Furman's isn't either-- but we still have done pretty well against the run. The GSU-App game will be informative as to GSU's current state-- if they win big I'd say it would be unlikely for the Paladins to win in Statesboro. Certainly not impossible, though I'd be more than happy if GSU's team adopted such an attitude.

Paladin05
October 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Ah back to blaming the refs, are we? Must have been a ref that snuck in to level Chaz Williams on the 1-yard line late in the game.

From a more rational, or maybe just more intelligent perspective, GSU has played the role of an enigma this year. Losing at home to McNeese is not exactly something to be proud of, but the Eagles obviously have gotten better over the course of the year. Given how Furman played against WCU, I'd say the same of the Paladins.

Nonetheless, GSU's defense is not what it was. Furman's isn't either-- but we still have done pretty well against the run. The GSU-App game will be informative as to GSU's current state-- if they win big I'd say it would be unlikely for the Paladins to win in Statesboro. Certainly not impossible, though I'd be more than happy if GSU's team adopted such an attitude.

I'm betting the margin of victory or defeat in Boone next Saturday will have no bearing on the FU-GSU game in November. This season should have already taught fans not to compare scores.

GSU has blamed the refs for every loss and close game they have had with Furman so it isn't surprising. I guess they have to try and blame it on something.

sceagle
October 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
All of us do not blame the refs. Sewak maybe, but not the refs. I will never complain about the refs after a game. Besides, everyone familiar with the SoCon knows that the South Carolina schools need to win whenever possible :D .

Baldy
October 9th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Coulda been. Afterall, it was a ref who gave Furmmy a first down late in the game after John Mohring clearly stopped your RB 2+ yards short of the first down. The announcers had a field day with that call, so did many of your fans.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 07:09 AM
All of us do not blame the refs. Sewak maybe, but not the refs. I will never complain about the refs after a game. Besides, everyone familiar with the SoCon knows that the South Carolina schools need to win whenever possible :D .

I don't get the joke but I agree. The South Carolina Schools need to win whenever possible.

And thanks for not complaining about the refs. A breath of fresh air.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
you obviously think very little of GSU. Are you gonna pick Morehead State to beat us too? :)
maybe we should just mail in the season. LOL
in all seriousness, it's time for the big 3 to prove it on the field and see who is better. while gsu is playing good ball right now,i know, App is going to be a tough place for us. I hope our boys are ready. I think they will be.

no, i forgot that you guys will win out, save the furman game

both teams will for that matter, they don't have any other good teams on the schedule, so whoever wins that game is automatically 1st in the conference, it all depends on what App does then

blueballs
October 10th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Ah back to blaming the refs, are we?

We GSU fans reserve the right to blame the weather too if necessary. ;)

GSU had every opportunity to win the game in Greenville last year, no excuses. But you can't, with any sense of objectivity, tell me that Furman didn't get the benefit of the whistle last year- though the 1999 game in Paulson may be the worst I've ever witnessed.

What concerns me is that the App State AND GSU folks, across the board, even the reasonable ones, continually express concern that FU gets the benefit of the SoCon officiating- even when those schools have won. I won't even get into Wofford here...I've watched enough film and seen enough games live to know that something is up. What? I don't know, but it seems to be consistent over the years.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM

GSU had every opportunity to win the game in Greenville last year, no excuses. But you can't, with any sense of objectivity, tell me that Furman didn't get the benefit of the whistle last year- though the 1999 game in Paulson may be the worst I've ever witnessed.

What concerns me is that the App State AND GSU folks, across the board, even the reasonable ones, continually express concern that FU gets the benefit of the SoCon officiating- even when those schools have won. I won't even get into Wofford here...I've watched enough film and seen enough games live to know that something is up. What? I don't know, but it seems to be consistent over the years.

well, honestly, i'd rather have it consistently bad than all over the place. i try not to complain about the refs though, b/c there are so many things a team can do to take the refs out of the game completely.

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I have only witnessed one game in my life where I thought that something was truly fishy with the officiating. That was the 99' GSU -FU game in Statesboro.

What really amazed me was that on the after game call in show, a FU fan called and said that it was the most biased officiating he had ever seen in his life. When an opposing fan calls and says that the refs tried to stick it to you, something is up.

I heard (probably just a rumor) that there was a father-son officiating combo on that crew that lived in Greenville, and that they were reprimanded after that game. Anyone know any facts on that?

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
The officials are obviously showing their support for the most beautiful campus, most elegant fans and most wonderful student atheletes on God's green earth.

PS, I think that the History channel should run this as one of their conspiracy documentaries. :rolleyes: ;)

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Won't identify which two SoCon teams are involved. Last season.

1st down Team A gets called for holding on a player 30-40 yards from the runner. Flag is thrown as the runner crosses the goal line.
TD nullified.

Next series. Team A blitzing the QB. Team B holds off one of the rushers by holding the back of his jersey for a noticeable length of time withing 4-5 yards of the QB.
No call.

Exact same thing happens two plays later only a little closer to the QB. No call...again.