PDA

View Full Version : Top Small School Transfers?

Smendy
May 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Found a nice list former big school players that transferred to smaller schools @ draft daddy's blog. Most are F.C.S. prospects, but there are some D-2's (thanks to the new transfer rules?)

They also have a list of top 30 small schoolers in the 5/11 Blog and a bunch of other small school links from Josh Buchanan....Looks like it will be another big season for the Hampton Pirates and Harvard Crimson xcoffeex

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Appguy
May 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I can't believe TJ Courman is even mentioned

WR T.J. COURMAN, APPALACHIAN STATE, 5094, 190, 4.55E
Courman was another hero in the upset win over Michigan as he made a big catch and juked a Michigan defender for a big first down. He brings about the same size as 2nd round draft pick Dexter Jackson but lacks the home run speed. His decent speed, hands, and quickness will give him a shot. His big knock besides lack of home run speed will be his lack of production. He only caught 18 passes for 166 yards last year but showed versatility as he returned a kickoff and had 7 carries in ’07. The senior will need a big senior year and postseason to be more than a tryout player next year.

Smendy
May 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM
App, I'm more of a Northeast FCS fan, so I'm sure you know Appalachian State's talent level better than me. I believe you'll still be dominate, but I've got to figure the pro talent level has to drop considerably with Jackson, Lynch and Kerry B. off to the N.F.L.

That's quite a trio for any smaller schooler to produce in one class and is unsustainable from year to year...I guess Hampton has done well producing pros recently, but that's because they've really cornered the market on FBS transfers that want to go a HBC program.

patssle
May 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rhett Bomar?

ericsaid
May 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
App, I'm more of a Northeast FCS fan, so I'm sure you know Appalachian State's talent level better than me. I believe you'll still be dominate, but I've got to figure the pro talent level has to drop considerably with Jackson, Lynch and Kerry B. off to the N.F.L.

That's quite a trio for any smaller schooler to produce in one class and is unsustainable from year to year...I guess Hampton has done well producing pros recently, but that's because they've really cornered the market on FBS transfers that want to go a HBC program.

Appalachian has 14,000+ students, it's not that small of a school unlike what Davidson with a little over 1,000 did in basketball. Also Delaware isn't a small school, wake forest is a small school.

Lynch is a great player and will start one day(24 interceptions and more than 330 tackles in his college career, 111 his senior season) for a safety the number of tackles is ridiculous. Jackson will need to learn how to catch a lot better but with a combine time of anywhere from 4.2 to 4.4, that's not "small school" speed typically. Kerry Brown is a great blocker clearly or he wouldn't have been given a shot, and you left out Julian Rauch.

Smendy
May 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input Eric. They are defining small school by the level their football program plays at. So anything below FBS (formerly 1-A) is considered small school....that's FCS, D-2, D-3 & NAIA.

So, for example, the huge University of Massachusetts is considered a small school (football wise), while the much smaller Boston College(student enrollment wise) is considered a bigger football school.

Julian Rauch was the Apps' kicker, right?

gophoenix
May 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Appalachian has 14,000+ students, it's not that small of a school unlike what Davidson with a little over 1,000 did in basketball. Also Delaware isn't a small school, wake forest is a small school.

Lynch is a great player and will start one day(24 interceptions and more than 330 tackles in his college career, 111 his senior season) for a safety the number of tackles is ridiculous. Jackson will need to learn how to catch a lot better but with a combine time of anywhere from 4.2 to 4.4, that's not "small school" speed typically. Kerry Brown is a great blocker clearly or he wouldn't have been given a shot, and you left out Julian Rauch.

Oh, you people and your literal "size matters" type of stuff. xlolx

Davidson has 1700, btw. That is a bit more than "a little over 1000."

It's not even that Smendy. Most people define "small school" as the group that isn't part of the Big Six (Big East, ACC, PAC-10, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, Brigham and the handful of others like Notre Dame, BYU, Utah, Army, Navy, Air Force)

One wonders why size only matters in The South. No one else seems so obssessed with size or perception of size outside of a small 5 state area.

Smendy
May 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
It's not even that Smendy. Most people define "small school" as the group that isn't part of the Big Six (Big East, ACC, PAC-10, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, Brigham and the handful of others like Notre Dame, BYU, Utah, Army, Navy, Air Force).

You are correct, Phoenix. This is why many mainstream media outlets lumped in Chris Johnson (East Carolina) and Leodis McKelvin as talented "small schoolers" leading up to the most NFL draft.

Personally, I prefer the term "mid-major" for these schools, but I'm not sure, for example, if the Sun Belt Conference should even be defined as "mid-major"?

P.S: Good point about Davidson hoops. I guess it must be noted, however, that 7 to 9 good athletes can give a school the size of Davidson a fighting chance on the basketball court....it's got to be a lot harder in football, where you need a lot more players.

ericsaid
May 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Oh, you people and your literal "size matters" type of stuff. xlolx

Davidson has 1700, btw. That is a bit more than "a little over 1000."

It's not even that Smendy. Most people define "small school" as the group that isn't part of the Big Six (Big East, ACC, PAC-10, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, Brigham and the handful of others like Notre Dame, BYU, Utah, Army, Navy, Air Force)

One wonders why size only matters in The South. No one else seems so obssessed with size or perception of size outside of a small 5 state area.

When you compare 1700 to the i believe 27,000 or so at east carolina, that doesn't matter, and ECU sucks at everything but did decent in football.

Michigan has over 30,000 doesn't it? and all the other powerhouse schools in FBS.

ericsaid
May 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
i'm just drawing comparisons, all oif the schools on that list are truly small schools minus UD.

JohnStOnge
May 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Michigan has over 30,000 doesn't it? and all the other powerhouse schools in FBS.

Miami has about 9,700 students and Notre Dame has about 8,300. Both have been down lately but I think if you talk about powerhouses over time they're both in there. Southern Cal has about 17,000; which is a bit bigger but not that large.