PDA

View Full Version : harvard-mcgill 134th anniversary

bonarae
May 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM
This week marks the 134th anniversary of the first American football series: Harvard-McGill.

http://www.gocrimson.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9000&ATCLID=1470089

This week marks the 134th anniversary of the historic McGill-Harvard rugby-football confrontation. The two-game series, played at Cambridge, Mass., May 14 and 15, 1874, were the first games of North American-style football.

Some may argue that the Princeton-Rutgers game of 1869 was the first football game but that was Association Football, better known as soccer, and played with a round ball.

The article also includes recollections from McGill and how that game was played (McGill rules).

EmeryZach
May 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Did McGill make the CFL rules as well?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Some may argue that the Princeton-Rutgers game of 1869 was the first football game but that was Association Football, better known as soccer, and played with a round ball.

Huntington and Joseph were also track men and these three on the half line made things hot for the Harvard defenders time after time. They would get the ball out from the “scrum” and streak across the field, passing as they ran, only to be called back for violations of the American pursuit rule, which was unknown in Canada. According to Mr. Joseph, Harvard’ victory was well earned and their scoring plays resulted from sustained offensive pressure.

No pads of any kind were worn; woollen jerseys covered the torso, while the legs were encased in white trousers, “some long and some short.” Some of the men wore black football turbans-- the ancestor of the modern helmet-- and others white canvass hats.

Oooookay, let me get this straight. Not only did Harvard dominate McGill in a sport in which they invented the rules and didn't inform them, but they also played the first "real" football game - and invented the canvas football helmet to boot?

Sounds like someone over there has a serious case of Princeton and Lafayette envy... xrolleyesx Why make the claim that Princeton's game was really soccer, and theirs was "real football"? You could just as easily make the claim that their exhibition was a modification of rugby/rugger and had nothing to do with football.

Go...gate
May 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oooookay, let me get this straight. Not only did Harvard dominate McGill in a sport in which they invented the rules and didn't inform them, but they also played the first "real" football game - and invented the canvas football helmet to boot?

Sounds like someone over there has a serious case of Princeton and Lafayette envy... xrolleyesx Why make the claim that Princeton's game was really soccer, and theirs was "real football"? You could just as easily make the claim that their exhibition was a modification of rugby/rugger and had nothing to do with football.

Harvard takes this very seriously...I can still remember the 1974 helmets which had a special logo stating that 1974 was "the real football centennial". This is what makes the game great.

Ivytalk
May 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
McGill is the Harvard of Canada!xbowx xthumbsupx xcoolx

DFW HOYA
May 15th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Harvard takes this very seriously...I can still remember the 1974 helmets which had a special logo stating that 1974 was "the real football centennial". This is what makes the game great.

Georgetown traces its football program to 1874 as well...trouble was, there were no regional teams to play until at least 1881.

GeeWiz
May 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
McGill is the Harvard of Canada!xbowx xthumbsupx xcoolx

In Montreal, they have t-shirts that say "Harvard is the McGill of the United States" xsmiley_wix

I used to live about six blocks away from McGill in 2003.