PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga Football Roundup

BLUEMOC20
May 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, its been a while since i've posted so sorry for my rustiness. I know that every year we all say that chattanooga is finally maybe the darkhorse in the socon, but my question is not if they will be this year, but will they ever really compete for a SOCON crown again? I know people are saying that they have alot of young talent and that they are going to win one for Rodney. But lets be honest, there is really no leadership on this team. We lost tons of assistants leading up to the year, lost recruits. We have a lame duck coach. Also we continually have young talent but yet continue to underachieve with it. Just look at the recruiting while rod has been here, constantly top ten classes. Got us no where. I truly believe the only way to fix it is to blow it up and start over. Fire Rod for now, still to early to see about hart. Looking at the other MOC websites i've seen that to coaches that would be great would be the head coaches of UNA and GVSU, proven winners and if they want to coach at the highest level the the socon is it in fcs, but if they can also turn around Chattanooga, they could go up the highest level of all FBS.

Basically what i'm getting at is what do you think needs to be done to turn Chattanooga back into a dark horse, then eventually into a year in and year out contender for not only the SOCON crown but for a national title?

OL FU
May 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the honesty. I am usually the last to say get a new coach but I think at this point what else can you say?

Fairly high recruting marks but you can't build a program with transfer even ones that people think will be good.

WCU finally made the move, don't be left at the bottom of the barrel.

Good luck and how much longer does he have on his contract?

citdog
May 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
FIRE RODNEY ALLISON!

catamount man
May 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
FIRE RODNEY ALLISON!

This is the best thing they could do. Randy Sanders would be the top candidate I'm sure. He had an eye out for both UTC and WCU jobs last year and did interview for the job in Cullowhee. No head coaching experience, but on staffs at UT and UK cannot hurt.

Of course, if I'm Rick Hart, UTC's AD, I am opening up the check book to the coach at Grand Valley State, the coach at North Alabama, or some dang good FCS assistant coaches. Geoff Collins, former DC for my Catamounts and now on UCF's staff, would be a good choice as well. Well loved and feared by players and a master recruiter (ask Chan Gailey and Nick Saban) but man would I hate to go against Geoff on a yearly basis.

Good luck in 2008 Mocs, except November 1 in Cullowhee. xthumbsupx

elcid96
May 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
When did Chattanooga get a football program?

APPALACHIANstate
May 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Get good grades.

citdog
May 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM
not have the fans from a school 1/5th your size and 500 miles away outnumber your "fans" at your own stadium.

APPALACHIANstate
May 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
not have the fans from a school 1/5th your size and 500 miles away outnumber your "fans" at your own stadium.

ouch.

ASUMountaineer
May 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
1) I think they need to fire the coach. Sometimes some fresh blood can go a long way. 2) Get rid of the gold jerseys.

Cocky
May 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
You can look at our men's basketball program to see what a lame duck HC can do for a program.

I personally think you need a good x's and o's coach. If Chattanooga could build a good foundation and play consisently then you have something to build on.

WCU LawCat
May 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The way the Chattanooga paper talked about UTC's spring practice it looks like it is going to be a really long year....something we had at WCU last year in almost the same situation.

If you know it is the coach and the season starts off on the wrong foot raise hell....recruit alums and boosters and everybody raise hell. It worked in Cullowhee.

gophoenix
May 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Okay, its been a while since i've posted so sorry for my rustiness. I know that every year we all say that chattanooga is finally maybe the darkhorse in the socon, but my question is not if they will be this year, but will they ever really compete for a SOCON crown again? I know people are saying that they have alot of young talent and that they are going to win one for Rodney. But lets be honest, there is really no leadership on this team. We lost tons of assistants leading up to the year, lost recruits. We have a lame duck coach. Also we continually have young talent but yet continue to underachieve with it. Just look at the recruiting while rod has been here, constantly top ten classes. Got us no where. I truly believe the only way to fix it is to blow it up and start over. Fire Rod for now, still to early to see about hart. Looking at the other MOC websites i've seen that to coaches that would be great would be the head coaches of UNA and GVSU, proven winners and if they want to coach at the highest level the the socon is it in fcs, but if they can also turn around Chattanooga, they could go up the highest level of all FBS.

Basically what i'm getting at is what do you think needs to be done to turn Chattanooga back into a dark horse, then eventually into a year in and year out contender for not only the SOCON crown but for a national title?

A new coach won't guarantee that you'll win more games. The difference between UTC and Western/Elon is that the later two weren't just not winning games, they weren't really competitive. UTC as bad as the win/loss record has been some years, they are competitive on the whole....

appfan2008
May 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
has utc ever been competitive year in and year out in the socon???

Cocky
May 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Not a Chattanooga history expert but when I was kid my memory says they were pretty good.

OL FU
May 15th, 2008, 07:35 AM

late 70's early 80's. xnodx

Cocky
May 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Maybe not a kid but I was younger.

gophoenix
May 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM

What do you mean, competitive. That is where my comment came from. Ignoring their record, the games are mostly close with only one random team blowing them out per year mostly. To be honest, that isn't too shabby.

OL FU
May 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
What do you mean, competitive. That is where my comment came from. Ignoring their record, the games are mostly close with only one random team blowing them out per year mostly. To be honest, that isn't too shabby.

I don't think most people are happy with consistently being able to say we lost 9 games but 8 of them were close.

appfan2008
May 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM

well that was before i was born!!!

gophoenix
May 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I don't think most people are happy with consistently being able to say we lost 9 games but 8 of them were close.

no, but what I mean, is they aren't like Elon, Western or VMI were. Not even close.

NashMoc
May 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Being a Moc football fan is a frustrating experience. Like some of you have mentioned there have been some talented players in Chattanooga, yet not a consistent winning team. We have had a string of unsuccessful coaches with short tenures. The school commited to giving Rodney Allison a few years to turn things around. The only thing he has mananged to do is lose a bunch of football games all while getting the program crushed by APR penalties. He ran off more than half of the the previous coach's players without regards to the reprecussions.

Now the program is going into next season with a lame duck coach. Nearly every one of last season's assistants have left. The starting QB job has yet to be decided. We are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with players recruited for the 3-4. And two of the first three games are against Oklahoma and Florida State.

What does the future hold? I don't know. I wouldn't bet on the UNA or Grand Valley State coaches coming to Chattanooga. I don't think the budget would allow the salary that would entice either coach to leave their current jobs.

stevdock
May 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't think there is any chance of GVSU's coach coming to Chatty. He is very happy with where he is at and I had heard that the only way he would leave is if one of the MAC schools came calling. As far as UNA, I thought they were talking about moving to FCS, so that could go either way with him. UNA does have a great tradition of winning so that might be hard for him to leave there even though I don't think he has been there very long. On a side note, if UNA does move up I would assume D2 championship game would be looking for a new site, since UNA is where they play the game.

BLUEMOC20
May 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i know that they are in good situations right now but what about the opportunity to start their own winning tradition at a new school. Plus chattanooga, as bad a team as they have been, still is a great city and could become a great football city with the right coach leading the way. Therefore I am, right now, calling for them to do what ever they can to land one of the big name coaches. Not some great, promising assistant from the FBS but go and get a young, excited, charamastic head coach from one of the lower level schools.

rudy1648
May 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I remember when UTC came into the SoCon,,they dominated. One of the problems I have seen when attending a couple regular season games in Chatty between UTC and ASU,,,no one in Chattanooga even knew the Mocs were playing. We mentioned going to the game and some folks wondered if we were going to Knoxville. Had no idea Mocs were playing nor who they were playing. Attendance on the home side was awful. We sat on the visitors side, along with the UTC band and students for homecoming. The band went onto the field, turned,,and faced us? The ladies for homecoming also went onto the field and faced the visitor's side. There were more people on our side than the home side. After half time, UTC students vacated the premises. You need some fan support,,desperately! If you get a football prospect to visit campus during a home game,,,,many will think they have bigger numbers at their high school than at Chatty. What kid wants to come play before empty seats? I understand that in TN there is only one university, but somehow you have got to get people in your own town to show some interest.

CID1990
May 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Join the Big South?

Just kidding. We don't need to be losing football schools with cofc, Davidson and UNCG around.

stevdock
May 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
i know that they are in good situations right now but what about the opportunity to start their own winning tradition at a new school. Plus chattanooga, as bad a team as they have been, still is a great city and could become a great football city with the right coach leading the way. Therefore I am, right now, calling for them to do what ever they can to land one of the big name coaches. Not some great, promising assistant from the FBS but go and get a young, excited, charamastic head coach from one of the lower level schools.

Many at NDSU were asking for the same thing when we went through our last coaching change. Instead we got a D-Coordinator from Nebraska that was fired/let go/asked never to come back. What did he do here?? In 5 years led our team towards the top of FCS and through transition, while comprising a very good record which could be about 25 in a row if not for a 1 point loss to FBS and 5 point loss to school rival. Those castoff FBS assistants can be pretty good at their job too.