PDA

View Full Version : YSU in Top 10

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Have no problem saying YSU is Top 10 material. Far too many teams getting beat and playing poorly. YSU is on a roll and looking like the yesteryear teams of the 90s.

GFC is being shook up and the pre-season polls got it all wrong.

Wish we had some folks seeing this team in action. Complete turn around !!

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Slippery Rock 1-3
N'eastern 1-4
Liberty 1-4
Pitt 1-3 (did they win today?)
Illinois St 3-3
Ind St 0-6

YSU may have a top 10 team, but it is quite difficult to tell with the comp they have played to this point

Chi Panther
October 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I cave.

I will be ranking them VERY HIGH this week.

I however am shell shocked losing to MSU.....Playing 3 Quarters without Sanders. UNI is REALLY up against it now......

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Slippery Rock 1-3
N'eastern 1-4
Liberty 1-4
Pitt 1-3 (did they win today?)
Illinois St 3-3
Ind St 0-6

YSU may have a top 10 team, but it is quite difficult to tell with the comp they have played to this point

damn, their opponents are 7-23????? yowza

Chi Panther
October 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
But they have been winning CONVINCINGLY

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
damn, their opponents are 7-23????? yowza

You're absolutely right, but IMHO, you have to take out their wins and losses against YSU. That would make them 6-18. Not much better, but I think you have to compare their records against other teams only. :twocents:

Coastal89
October 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Then Coastal's top ten also.

Elon 3-3
JMU 4-1
ASU 3-2
DSU 3-3
SCSU 4-1
16-6 if you take out the games with CCU
CCU 4-1

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I can point out poor opponents for others as well. I can see losses to avg ( or worst ) teams.

Winning is the name of the game. WKU struggled with INS last week. We blew them out. We beat ILS and WKU struggles with them , almost getting beat. The list is long. Our only loss is to a I-A. Long list of I-AAs have lost 1 or 2 I-AA games. Excuses ???????????????????? :nod: :nod: :nod:

Win or step aside. :p Or put your polls bias front & center . :D

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM
10/22/2005 Missouri State (H)
10/29/2005 Northern Iowa (A)
11/5/2005 Southern Illinois (A)
11/12/2005 Western Kentucky (H)

quite a stretch for YSU

Chi Panther
October 8th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I bet they jump from around 22.....to Mid teens.....TOP 10 is a stretch.

SeattleGriz
October 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM
No dice. Even if YSU WAS top 10, they have been away too long to say they are back this quickly.

catbob
October 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I can point out poor opponents for others as well. I can see losses to avg ( or worst ) teams.

Winning is the name of the game. WKU struggled with INS last week. We blew them out. We beat ILS and WKU struggles with them , almost getting beat. The list is long. Our only loss is to a I-A. Long list of I-AAs have lost 1 or 2 I-AA games. Excuses ???????????????????? :nod: :nod: :nod:

Winning against poor competition keeps you from slipping in the polls. It doesn't jump you up 10 spots, especially after beating an 0-5 now 0-6 team.

You don't rank teams based on how good you think they are. You do it once, preseason, and then the games speak for themselves. I'd have YSU ranked around 15-18 this week, depending on the results of the top 15.

Beat someone good and you will move up. Telling us you are a top 10 team without proving it on the field is null and void.

Chi Panther
October 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Illinois State is good.

But 15 sounds right to me......

ysuindy
October 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM
YSU played very well today against an overmatched opponent. They have beaten the teams they are supposed to. Many teams have not. Keep doing that and there is an excellent chance to keep playing after game 11.

colgate13
October 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Rank YSU #1. They'll lose next week. xlolx

galojay
October 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM
YSU will have MANY chances to prove themselves with their upcoming schedule.

Toppermaniac
October 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Let's not get carried away. It's certainly not like you drilled Ill. St. You also had a very tough game with them, and wasn't it on your home field? Can't remember. We played them on the road.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM
No one is getting carried away. As the teams see us, the truth will become evident. Live on your "reputation" as long as you can.

See ya in Youngstown !! :p :p :p

Toppermaniac
October 8th, 2005, 10:50 PM
No one is getting carried away. As the teams see us, the truth will become evident. Live on your "reputation" as long as you can.

Live on our "reputations"!!!!! Just how in the hell do you figure we're doing that? By winning? We have been in the playoffs for 5 straight years (maybe six now, can't remember). How are we living on our reputations? We returned all but 9 players from last year's team and we're better offensively. We've had lots of injuries on the defensive side of the ball and aren't playing normal WKU defense, but there's still half the season to go. Oh yea, we played Auburn pretty damn tough. Much, much more than you can say about that powerhouse PITT.

Coastal89
October 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM
powerhouse PITT.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Thatta boy, Seattle Griz. You make the poll what it is.

You said "even if YSU WAS Top 10, they have been away too long."

Nothing like an "honest " poll. :eek: :eek: :eek:

FlyYtown
October 8th, 2005, 11:55 PM
If I could vote I'd have YSU 12th. Ya its a big jump but you know they will be this high anyways within a few weeks. The higher the get the better known and more respect they get.

Mizzou State is good; especially after tonight. That should be a FUN game Saturday at Stambaugh.

Go Penguins

galojay
October 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Live on our "reputations"!!!!! Just how in the hell do you figure we're doing that? By winning? We have been in the playoffs for 5 straight years (maybe six now, can't remember). How are we living on our reputations? We returned all but 9 players from last year's team and we're better offensively. We've had lots of injuries on the defensive side of the ball and aren't playing normal WKU defense, but there's still half the season to go. Oh yea, we played Auburn pretty damn tough. Much, much more than you can say about that powerhouse PITT.

Toppermaniac... YSU is good. How good, we'll find out when we get on the field with them. But I'd be careful how much smack you spew. It is going to be a tough game in Youngstown.

skinny_uncle
October 9th, 2005, 12:25 AM
YSU fans are having a good time at this point. Who can blame them? The Gateway can bring them back to reality in a hurry, though. Just ask UNI.
:eek:

Killtoppers90
October 9th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Mad Props to A solid YSU team! Great job today boys!

FlyYtown
October 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM
And again its Western Illinois Saturday; not Mizzou State like I keep saying.

Go Penguins and thanks for the praise from the league!

wlj989s
October 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I wish it was YSU/ MO STATE next saturday. But we have a big enough challenege with WKU. Lets keep the upset train rollin!

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Toppermaniac... YSU is good. How good, we'll find out when we get on the field with them. But I'd be careful how much smack you spew. It is going to be a tough game in Youngstown.

What are you, my mother? No where have I said YSU isn't good, but at least one of their fans seem to think they're Southern Cal. All he posts is how everyone is going to be surprised and that they will soon find out. Yes, he's right. We will find out, but he's the one that appears to be guaranteeing wins against whatever team YSU plays. If anyone is "putting the cart before the horse" it's him. YSU has tremendous history, but they haven't exactly been tearing it up lately. Let's see how it goes before they're awarded the Gateway title. I don't think any of this is too difficult to understand. Read the posts.

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 09:44 PM
What are you, my mother? No where have I said YSU isn't good, but at least one of their fans seem to think they're Southern Cal. All he posts is how everyone is going to be surprised and that they will soon find out. Yes, he's right. We will find out, but he's the one that appears to be guaranteeing wins against whatever team YSU plays. If anyone is "putting the cart before the horse" it's him. YSU has tremendous history, but they haven't exactly been tearing it up lately. Let's see how it goes before they're awarded the Gateway title. I don't think any of this is too difficult to understand. Read the posts.

By the way, my fellow Topper fan, that YSU fan I'm referring to is the same one that posted a thread entitled "YSU is Better than WKU". Do you not read all the threads on the board? Haven't seen you calling him out and you're a WKU fan, at least you appear to be.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Not Southern Cal. Just YSU.

Old YSU !! :p :p :p

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, has YSU beaten WKU since we joined the Gateway? Didn't think so.

Killtoppers90
October 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Extra Point - Week Six Review: Midseason Awards
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Most Likely to Fade in the Second Half: Youngstown State

The Penguins are good, but it’s hard to say how legitimate the 5-1 record is with wins against Slippery Rock, Northeastern, Liberty and Indiana State. The Penguins do have a nice win against Illinois State, and have yet to lose to a I-AA opponent. But the second half schedule includes Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, UNI and an improving Missouri State team, and making the playoffs will be difficult. The Penguins might be a year away with a young offense, but they’ll have a tough time closing the 2005 campaign against a brutal stretch.

Just in case the YSU are tired of reading clippings about how superb they think they are...... I will (and have) given YSU good props for their season thus far. But I just wanted to offer a differing opinion for balance.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many NC has wku won ?? :p

In case you don't know, we have won a measly 4 NCs and finished runner-up twice. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Cheers !!

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM
And Kill -- you have our respect !!

ysuindy
October 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
By the way, my fellow Topper fan, that YSU fan I'm referring to is the same one that posted a thread entitled "YSU is Better than WKU". Do you not read all the threads on the board? Haven't seen you calling him out and you're a WKU fan, at least you appear to be.

You mean the thread started by an Indiana State fan. Maybe the only person on this board to see both WKU and YSU play in person this year?

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Aw, Indy. Why did you have to point THAT out?? :D He was doing such a great job of making a foo, ,oops..... rabid , unknowing, fan out of himself !! :p

Now he'll pick on the INS fan. :nod:

Killtoppers90
October 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Ummmmm...Paladian, my cold-weathered friend, I hate to even bring this up but YSU hasn't even seen the playoffs since 2000. Is that kinda the same thing? Not really trying to stir the pot but facts be facts. You guys might make a serious run at them this season (and next) but let's see how we all wind up first, ok?

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Ummmmm...Paladian, my cold-weathered friend, I hate to even bring this up but YSU hasn't even seen the playoffs since 2000. Is that kinda the same thing? Not really trying to stir the pot but facts be facts. You guys might make a serious run at them this season (and next) but let's see how we all wind up first, ok?

That's pretty much all I've been saying. I know the YSU fans have a lot to be excited about. They've had a few down years and now that a seemingly very good year is upon them, they're very optimistic about their chances in the conference. I understand that. However, they seem, at least to me, to be smacking a few teams in the face. A few teams that not only have been in the playoffs quite often the past few years, but who were picked to battle for the conference title. Those teams are UNI, SIU, and of course WKU. YSU may very well beat all those teams, win the conference title, and get an auto bid to the playoffs. However, I don't think theiry fans should be proclaiming them the kings of the conference just yet. Considering the schedule they still face, that would be more than premature. Now, is there anything negative towards YSU in this post?

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Chill, Kill. I'm just calling it as I see it this year. I certainly couldn't do that last year. But this is another year and a FAR different team.

So long as guys take "pot" shots at us, I'll return the "fire". All I have done is share info on this years team and watch while we win & others lose( only to stay rated ) and we were not.

So the message is -- one game at a time. Here we come.

All we can do is win and make some people look very foolish. "Experts" :p

Killtoppers90
October 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Chill, Kill. I'm just calling it as I see it this year. I certainly couldn't do that last year. But this is another year and a FAR different team.

So long as guys take "pot" shots at us, I'll return the "fire". All I have done is share info on this years team and watch while we win & others lose( only to stay rated ) and we were not.

Cool! But your top 20 rankings should happen soon.

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Once again, point out a "pot shot" I've taken at YSU. It was you that posted on another thread that WKU was "living off its reputation" and that it wouldn't carry them. Did you not? You're the one that has been saying everyone else in the Gateway will find out soon how good YSU is. Has someone else taken your computer hostage? I challenge you to locate a post where I've taken a pot shot at YSU. The only thing I've said was that WKU has beaten YSU every time we've played since we joined the conference and I only said that in response to your "pretender" and "reputation" comments. Really, point out the pot shots you mentioned.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Did you graduate from college or just take a remedial course in comprehesion.

First you accuse me of starting a thread started by a INS fan entitled "YSU is better than WKU". Re-read this thread . I did not mention WKU & "living on their reputation" on any post.

What are you DRINKING ??

I'm going to bed . Argue with yourself. You are good at it.

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM

First you accuse me of starting a thread started by a INS fan entitled "YSU is better than WKU". Re-read this thread . I did not mention WKU & "living on their reputation" on any post.

What are you DRINKING ??

First, you are a damn liar. Here's a quote from one of your posts in THIS thread.

"No one is getting carried away. As the teams see us, the truth will become evident. Live on your "reputation" as long as you can."

That was a direct quote from you in response to one of my posts.

Second, believe me, you don't want to compare our educational background. You will come up very short in comparison.

Toppermaniac
October 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM

What are you DRINKING ??

It's very obvious you fail to comprehend anything you read. You failed to respond to anything I said in my post. You know the one where you mentioned "pot shots" and I challenged you to point out ANY pot shots I'd taken. You completely ignored that and posted the mindless rant above. I see attempting a dialog with you is not even an option. You only post the exact things that can be attributed to yourself, i.e. arguing.

siugrad99
October 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I know all to well what it is like to start tooting my teams horn too early. YSU has taken care of business against teams they "should" beat. Their best win to date is a 3 point victory over a 3-3 Illinois State team (which is a solid team), but it was also at Home where you should take care of business. Your fate will be sealed once you start playing quality opponents on the road. I believe your 44-something pounding by a bad Pitt team was on the road so time will tell just how good you really are. Unfortunately you and a few other YSU "fans" keep running their mouth about how good you are and you should be top 5, top 10 whatever and that seems to take away from the accomplishments of the team as all people see is you gloating about a exciting start against less than average teams (excluding ISU). So maybe pipe down a bit and instead of you doing all the talking why don't you let YSU do it on the field. If in 3-4 weeks they have beaten a top of the conference talent on the road or WKU at home, THEN your comments might be a bit more welcomed. YSU has not been good for about what 3 years so just like any other team it has to prove it is for real all over again and i'm sorry, but regardless of the record until you beat someone with a winning record it doesn't mean much. Keep on winning and making the GWFC proud, but just know that with all the hype your throwing out the opposite will come if they don't live up to it.

GoGuins
October 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I for one am not totally sold yet. Yea we're improved & 5-1 but haven't really beat anyone of any significance. Except ILL St who is really our only quality win. We got blown out by a bad Pitt team. I thought we would at least score one TD in that one, but didn't. I really think we shouldn't be ranked any higher than 20 right now. If we beat WIU and Mo State (both home games), then I may start to believe a bit. The real test comes in the last three with consecutive road games @ UNI & SIU then the home finale against WKU. If, and that's a big if, YSU is 7-1 going into the last 3, they will have to win 2 of 3 in the end to get in the playoffs. No easy task.

BTW YSU fans - I wouldn't talk too much smack to WKU because they own us

Toppermaniac
October 10th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I for one am not totally sold yet. Yea we're improved & 5-1 but haven't really beat anyone of any significance. Except ILL St who is really our only quality win. We got blown out by a bad Pitt team. I thought we would at least score one TD in that one, but didn't. I really think we shouldn't be ranked any higher than 20 right now. If we beat WIU and Mo State (both home games), then I may start to believe a bit. The real test comes in the last three with consecutive road games @ UNI & SIU then the home finale against WKU. If, and that's a big if, YSU is 7-1 going into the last 3, they will have to win 2 of 3 in the end to get in the playoffs. No easy task.

BTW YSU fans - I wouldn't talk too much smack to WKU because they own us

Great post. By the way, I'm certainly not looking forward to the game with YSU on the road. It is a dangerous one for WKU. I'm going to try to make the trip. Oh, nice banners. I'm also a lifelong Cowboy and Braves fan. Too bad we're made to suffer eternal torment every October. The post-season losses are getting far past the ridiculous stage. How bout that big can of whoop-ass the Boys opened on the Beagles yesterday. A dominating thing of beauty.