PDA

View Full Version : According to GoGrambling.com: The ICON has been granted a release from LSU

MACHIAVELLI
May 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Grambling State has been granted an official release by LSU to speak with Ryan Perrilloux.

Mouse
May 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
would add a interesting note to the Southern/Grambling rivalry as

both Southern QB's beat Ryan in high school

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Grambling wanted a piece of the public relations pie by getting their name out there associated with RP. I do not think any school wants to deal with those damaged goods. It's not going to be a good move for anyone. I have my doubts that he could lead any school to a conference championship and definitely not the playoffs...

EmeryZach
May 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't have to worry about playoffs at Grambling

McNeese_beat
May 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've said from the beginning that SWAC schools seem like likely candidates because of the lesser amount of post-season expectations. Perrilloux's name will put butts in the seats and, if he proves to be a cancer, you weren't going to the playoffs anyway.

citdog
May 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
glad he'll go somewhere and play for another fake championship

jstate83
May 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I've said from the beginning that SWAC schools seem like likely candidates because of the lesser amount of post-season expectations. Perrilloux's name will put butts in the seats and, if he proves to be a cancer, you weren't going to the playoffs anyway.

Why do ya'll think people think about playoff's when being recruited by us.
They already know yet that don't have any negative effect on who we go after.
Perrilloux won't put any more butt's in the seat's after the 1st game than any other hotshot that has played in this league.

He ain't the first big name and won't be the last to come.

As for pressure, LET THEM COME IN AND FUGG UP.xlolx
DB we got from Notre Dame found out quick after he got burned in every game that first year.

People were on him so bad in the press, tv, and radio, he damm near needed a couch and a calm voice talking to him. xlolx

McNeese_beat
May 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Perrilloux won't put any more butt's in the seat's after the 1st game than any other hotshot that has played in this league.

DB we got from Notre Dame found out quick after he got burned in every game that first year.

People were on him so bad in the press, tv, and radio, he damm near needed a couch and a calm voice talking to him. xlolx

<<Why do ya'll think people think about playoff's when being recruited by us.>>
If they were thinking playoffs when they were being recruited by you, they wouldn't go there...
<<They already know yet that don't have any negative effect on who we go after.>>
But it does affect who you get...otherwise your teams would be more competitive against non-SWAC competition.

<<Perrilloux won't put any more butt's in the seat's after the 1st game than any other hotshot that has played in this league.>>
He's one more than what you have in your league now. That's a huge benefit to your league to what cost? Losing a spot in the post-season? What post-season?

<<As for pressure, LET THEM COME IN AND FUGG UP.xlolx
DB we got from Notre Dame found out quick after he got burned in every game that first year.>>

So do most Notre Dame DBs in their games xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

Look, I didn't even make a value judgement on the SWAC and the playoffs. I'm just saying, when you remove the expectation of reaching the post-season, it makes it easier to take the risk on a player like Perrilloux.

Mr. Tiger
May 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Our fans want and expect to win every game, playoffs or no playoffs. We don't except losing. So the pressure to win is just as high or higher in Jackson as it is at any FCS playoff team. Matter of fact, the press will eat a coach alive if JSU doesn't win. And I felt bad for that Notre Dame DB, xlolx, I have to admit I was among the fans that talked about him getting torched. JSU fans are unconcerned about how highly touted you are. We want to win. Perrilloux won't put one single extra fan in the seats at JSU.

McNeese_beat
May 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Our fans want and expect to win every game, playoffs or no playoffs. We don't except losing. So the pressure to win is just as high or higher in Jackson as it is at any FCS playoff team. Matter of fact, the press will eat a coach alive if JSU doesn't win. And I felt bad for that Notre Dame DB, xlolx, I have to admit I was among the fans that talked about him getting torched. JSU fans are unconcerned about how highly touted you are. We want to win. Perrilloux won't put one single extra fan in the seats at JSU.

Oh I understand there is pressure to win at a traditional power like JSU, but it's not the same as the pressure at schools whose season is DEFINED by their post-seasons. I'm not saying the pressure on playoff teams is MORE or LESS. Just DIFFERENT. Get it? You can't possibly relate because you don't participate?xpeacex

For JSU, 7-4 is 7-4. They are going to be pissed off about the four and maybe happy about some of the seven.

But if you're Georgia Southern, 7-4 ain't just 7-4. 7-4 means, your ass didn't make the playoffs and that alone means that 7-4 might as well be 4-7. Same at McNeese. Same at Stephen F. Austin (Mike Santiago won conference one year but was crucified a couple of years later because that team, which shared the title with Troy, did not make the playoffs).

So the pressure is NOT the same when you take the post-season out of the picture. For these programs where success is defined by making the post-season and, beyond that, succeeding in the post-season, you can't bring something in that can so singularly mess it all up. A Perrilloux drama could make a playoff team become a non-playoff team.

But I know you guys don't get it. Because it's a playoff thing … you wouldn't understand xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
May 11th, 2008, 06:07 AM
We want to win. Perrilloux won't put one single extra fan in the seats at JSU.

I don't know how someone would prove it but I think that, where ever he goes, there are going to be some people who go to some of that team's games that otherwise wouldn't have. Like if he goes to Jackson State there are going to be people from the Jackson area that are going to show up at the first home game just because they want to take a look at Perrilloux.

MACHIAVELLI
May 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I don't know how someone would prove it but I think that, where ever he goes, there are going to be some people who go to some of that team's games that otherwise wouldn't have. Like if he goes to Jackson State there are going to be people from the Jackson area that are going to show up at the first home game just because they want to take a look at Perrilloux.

I 100% agree

Mr. Tiger
May 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Oh I understand there is pressure to win at a traditional power like JSU, but it's not the same as the pressure at schools whose season is DEFINED by their post-seasons. I'm not saying the pressure on playoff teams is MORE or LESS. Just DIFFERENT. Get it? Your can't possibly relate because you don't participate?xpeacex

For JSU, 7-4 is 7-4. They are going to be pissed off about the four and maybe happy about some of the seven.

But if you're Georgia Southern, 7-4 ain't just 7-4. 7-4 means, your ass didn't make the playoffs and that alone means that 7-4 might as well be 4-7. Same at McNeese. Same at Stephen F. Austin (Mike Santiago won conference one year but was crucified a couple of years later because that team, which shared the title with Troy, did not make the playoffs).

So the pressure is NOT the same when you take the post-season out of the picture. For these programs where success is defined by making the post-season and, beyond that, succeeding in the post-season, you can't bring something in that can so singularly mess it all up. A Perrilloux drama could make a playoff team become a non-playoff team.

But I know you guys don't get it. Because it's a playoff thing … you wouldn't understand xsmiley_wix

You don't get it. Jackson State has a long playoff history and 7-4 will get you run out of town. We expect the same records we had when we were going to the playoffs every year. Just ask a former JSU coach named Robert Hughes. He finished 7-4 three years straight and was given the boot. And Hughes is a JSU alum that most alumni adore, but 7-4 is like 4-7 at Jackson State. And even though we won the SWAC Championship last season, the pressure is still on Comegy. Fans expect JSU to finish no less than 9-2 or 8-3 this season. If we don't, alumni will start to grumble.

McNeese_beat
May 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
You don't get it. Jackson State has a long playoff history and 7-4 will get you run out of town. We expect the same records we had when we were going to the playoffs every year. Just ask a former JSU coach named Robert Hughes. He finished 7-4 three years straight and was given the boot. And Hughes is a JSU alum that most alumni adore, but 7-4 is like 4-7 at Jackson State. And even though we won the SWAC Championship last season, the pressure is still on Comegy. Fans expect JSU to finish no less than 9-2 or 8-3 this season. If we don't,alumni will start to grumble.

You're still not getting it...the point is, in the SWAC, success is largely measured by the W-L record and games against rivals. If 7-4 gets you run out of town, so be it. There are plenty of playoff schools where 7-4 gets you run out of town too, but the expectations of making the playoffs makes the pressure more severe.

If JSU had the season SFA had when it shared the SLC title under Santiago, it would be considered a success — a SWAC championship is a SWAC championship. But when SFA did not make the playoffs that year (the other co-champion got the auto-bid) that season did not give Santiago leverage and the championship basically had an asterisk next to it (yeah, but that team didn't make the playoffs) when it came time, a few years later, for him to try to save his job.

Another example. Fans who appreciate how hard it is to win will say last year's 11-0 McNeese season was a success. However, there are a lot of people who would say it was a disappointment because the first round playoff loss. If McNeese was in the SWAC and went unbeaten, the season would be a rousing success because there would be no post-season to cause disappointment.

The difference between 7-4 and 8-3 is FAR more profound for a program that is trying to make the post-season than it is for a school that is not. Georgia Southern, for example, has every bit the history of success that JSU has, at least within its last 20 years. However, the playoff situation adds an ENTIRELY different layer of expectations that simply do not exist in the SWAC.

Syntax Error
May 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Didn't McNeese State and UNI surpass Jackson State recently in years making the playoffs without winning a championship? (though JSU has never won a playoff game?)

McNeese_beat
May 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Didn't McNeese State and UNI surpass Jackson State recently in years making the playoffs without winning a championship? (though JSU has never won a playoff game?)

I'm not sure. But it has been 11 years since the SWAC was last in the playoffs. That means current seniors would have been leaving elementary school around that time.

The phrase "out of sight, out of mind," applies...

Syntax Error
May 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure. But it has been 11 years since the SWAC was last in the playoffs. That means current seniors would have been leaving elementary school around that time.

The phrase "out of sight, out of mind," applies...But every SWAC team has won as many titles as McNeese State has and none have had as many chances. xrulesx :p

Mr. Tiger
May 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
You're still not getting it...the point is, in the SWAC, success is largely measured by the W-L record and games against rivals. If 7-4 gets you run out of town, so be it. There are plenty of playoff schools where 7-4 gets you run out of town too, but the expectations of making the playoffs makes the pressure more severe.

If JSU had the season SFA had when it shared the SLC title under Santiago, it would be considered a success — a SWAC championship is a SWAC championship. But when SFA did not make the playoffs that year (the other co-champion got the auto-bid) that season did not give Santiago leverage and the championship basically had an asterisk next to it (yeah, but that team didn't make the playoffs) when it came time, a few years later, for him to try to save his job.

Another example. Fans who appreciate how hard it is to win will say last year's 11-0 McNeese season was a success. However, there are a lot of people who would say it was a disappointment because the first round playoff loss. If McNeese was in the SWAC and went unbeaten, the season would be a rousing success because there would be no post-season to cause disappointment.

The difference between 7-4 and 8-3 is FAR more profound for a program that is trying to make the post-season than it is for a school that is not. Georgia Southern, for example, has every bit the history of success that JSU has, at least within its last 20 years. However, the playoff situation adds an ENTIRELY different layer of expectations that simply do not exist in the SWAC.

We will agree to disagree on this one. I understand what you are saying about the playoffs, again remember, Jackson State has been there many times, and I personally attended many of those playoff matchups. And I can honestly tell you the pressure to win is no different now than then.
By the way, Hughes was 9-2 in his first season and went to the SWAC Championship in 1999, but was still fired.

McNeese_beat
May 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
But every SWAC team has won as many titles as McNeese State has and none have had as many chances. xrulesx :p

What's your point? I think you are lashing out on the assumption that I'm SWAC-bashing, which I am not.

Are you saying that because McNeese hasn't won a national championship, there is no pressure to succeed there in the playoffs? Are you seriously saying the pressure to succeed in the playoffs in the SWAC is the same as at McNeese? That makes zero sense.

My point is that the SWAC's decision not to participate in the playoffs changes the dynamic of how they might treat taking a troubled transfer. For many of the FCS teams, the understanding is that making the FCS playoffs is such a hard thing to do, one or two games thrown away because a bad apple throws the team off kilter is not an acceptable risk to take. The risk is far more severe than a program that does not have the expectation of post-season play. A temporary problem with a player can turn a 10-1 season and home field to 8-3 and you are hoping you make the playoffs. It can turn a 9-2 and you are in to 7-4 and they are calling for your head.

Take away that post-season expectation and the dynamic changes considerably.

That is not a value judgement on the decision to participate or not participate in the playoffs. It is an observation on the state of mind based on the circumstances said decision brought forth. The state of mind simply can not be the same because the circumstances are completely different, because of non-participation in playoffs.

McNeese_beat
May 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
We will agree to disagree on this one. I understand what you are saying about the playoffs, again remember, Jackson State has been there many times, and I personally attended many of those playoff matchups. And I can honestly tell you the pressure to win is no different now than then.
By the way, Hughes was 9-2 in his first season and went to the SWAC Championship in 1999, but was still fired.

I'll buy what you're saying. But I will still suggest, in a broader sense, that the dynamic changes when the post-season expectation is brought in.

Let me give you an example in a hypothetical: Let's say JSU is clearly the No. 2 team in the SWAC East behind Alabama A&M (again, this is just hypothetical). In that case, Perrilloux is very tempting for JSU because he gives you the upside of potentially closing the gap on A&M to get to the conference championship game. The downside? If he messes you up, you probably weren't going to beat Alabama A&M anyway.

Now, let's extend the hypothetical. Let's say the SWAC plays in the playoffs and regularly gets at-larges. If the same JSU team takes Perrilloux and he "blows up" early in the season and has to be kicked off or suspended or whatever, you could end up with unwanted distractions for games against Hampton and Tennessee State that you NEED to win to get a potential at-large to the playoffs (or, just as importantly, possible home field in the playoffs).

That makes you ask yourself: Is the upside of potentially closing the gap on A&M more enticing than the fear of the downside? For a team that has the playoffs as a goal, that HAS to be a more pertinent question. It's more of a zero-sum game for a JSU than for a McNeese.

McNeese75
May 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
But every SWAC team has won as many titles as McNeese State has and none have had as many chances. xrulesx :p

What titles are you talking about? SWAC vs SLC? xlolx

Syntax Error
May 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
What's your point? I think you are lashing out on the assumption that I'm SWAC-bashing, which I am not.I'm not lashing out at you, just talking.
Are you saying that because McNeese hasn't won a national championship, there is no pressure to succeed there in the playoffs? Are you seriously saying the pressure to succeed in the playoffs in the SWAC is the same as at McNeese? That makes zero sense.That's why I didn't say it. Any team that makes the playoffs have pressure. Each of the 12 years that Jackson State made them there was pressure, as there was each of the 13 years McNeese made them. xcoffeex

813Jag
May 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I'll buy what you're saying. But I will still suggest, in a broader sense, that the dynamic changes when the post-season expectation is brought in.

Let me give you an example in a hypothetical: Let's say JSU is clearly the No. 2 team in the SWAC East behind Alabama A&M (again, this is just hypothetical). In that case, Perrilloux is very tempting for JSU because he gives you the upside of potentially closing the gap on A&M to get to the conference championship game. The downside? If he messes you up, you probably weren't going to beat Alabama A&M anyway.

Now, let's extend the hypothetical. Let's say the SWAC plays in the playoffs and regularly gets at-larges. If the same JSU team takes Perrilloux and he "blows up" early in the season and has to be kicked off or suspended or whatever, you could end up with unwanted distractions for games against Hampton and Tennessee State that you NEED to win to get a potential at-large to the playoffs (or, just as importantly, possible home field in the playoffs).

That makes you ask yourself: Is the upside of potentially closing the gap on A&M more enticing than the fear of the downside? For a team that has the playoffs as a goal, that HAS to be a more pertinent question. It's more of a zero-sum game for a JSU than for a McNeese.
I agree that there's huge pressure on playoff teams, but I know for a fact that playoffs or not (seeing that Southern has never been) the coaching seat at Southern is always hot. Every season even those that ended in Heritage Bowl wins or three SWAC Championship games, there were more people upset about the numbers in the L column.

If I used Southern in your example #1 Coach Richardson would feel the heat wether we were a clear #2 or clear #3. People don't accept finishing behind another team no matter what.

Southern won 8 games for the first time in 3 years and people were still upset with the coaches. I can't speak for other schools but I know coaches are under heavy pressure at Southern, especially with Tennessee State and FAMU back on the schedule.

eaglesrthe1
May 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
What's your point? I think you are lashing out on the assumption that I'm SWAC-bashing, which I am not.

Are you saying that because McNeese hasn't won a national championship, there is no pressure to succeed there in the playoffs? Are you seriously saying the pressure to succeed in the playoffs in the SWAC is the same as at McNeese? That makes zero sense.

My point is that the SWAC's decision not to participate in the playoffs changes the dynamic of how they might treat taking a troubled transfer. For many of the FCS teams, the understanding is that making the FCS playoffs is such a hard thing to do, one or two games thrown away because a bad apple throws the team off kilter is not an acceptable risk to take. The risk is far more severe than a program that does not have the expectation of post-season play. A temporary problem with a player can turn a 10-1 season and home field to 8-3 and you are hoping you make the playoffs. It can turn a 9-2 and you are in to 7-4 and they are calling for your head.

Take away that post-season expectation and the dynamic changes considerably.

That is not a value judgement on the decision to participate or not participate in the playoffs. It is an observation on the state of mind based on the circumstances said decision brought forth. The state of mind simply can not be the same because the circumstances are completely different, because of non-participation in playoffs.

Participation in the playoffs is irrelevant to the decision. What is relevant is the odds of success with this athlete/odds of the decision imploding on you. Whether it make sense to the program. How bad would it hurt you if one of your conference rivals were to land him... how is your current standing at QB...how does his style fit your offensive philosophy... what are the odds of him effing up again... all are parts of the decision process. Whether you participate in the playoffs neither enhances nor diminishes any of those concerns.

McNeese has been burned in the past by this same process. I think Collins was his name... and it may have a bearing on whether UM has an interest or not, sort of a once bitten twice shy scenario, so I can see where they might not be interested. However, that doesn't give any strength to the notion that its because UM participates in the playoffs... rather it just confirms that they have already been burned before and are more risk adverse than other schools may be.

Mr. Tiger
May 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I agree that there's huge pressure on playoff teams, but I know for a fact that playoffs or not (seeing that Southern has never been) the coaching seat at Southern is always hot. Every season even those that ended in Heritage Bowl wins or three SWAC Championship games, there were more people upset about the numbers in the L column.

If I used Southern in your example #1 Coach Richardson would feel the heat wether we were a clear #2 or clear #3. People don't accept finishing behind another team no matter what.

Southern won 8 games for the first time in 3 years and people were still upset with the coaches. I can't speak for other schools but I know coaches are under heavy pressure at Southern, especially with Tennessee State and FAMU back on the schedule.

Exactly. That's my point about Jackson State. Grambling posters will probably say the same thing. As eaglesrthe1 said, participation in the playoffs is irrelevant to the decision on Perrilloux.

McNeese_beat
May 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not lashing out at you, just talking.That's why I didn't say it. Any team that makes the playoffs have pressure. Each of the 12 years that Jackson State made them there was pressure, as there was each of the 13 years McNeese made them. xcoffeex

Then I don't understand your point. My point, simply, was that there was a nuance in this entire process that exists for most schools, but is missing in the SWAC schools because they don't pursue the playoffs. It has nothing to do with whether they once were part of the playoff process, but more to the current reality.

McNeese_beat
May 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM

I hear ya. There are two separate things at play here:

1. Programs with high expectations to win vs. programs without high expectations and
2. Programs that choose to participate in the playoffs and those who don't.

Southern, JSU and Grambling probably stand out among the SWACs in that they relate well to the Georgia Southerns and Montanas in the pressure to maintain their high levels of success. My only point is that the dynamic will be altered some by not having playoff expectations

I saw this at play during McNeese's home-and-home with Grambling. When McNeese opened the season against Grambling at home, I thought McNeese was way ahead of GSU in terms of execution and general preparedness. GSU people explained it as their being in a situation where they try to peak later in the season to make their run at the SWAC title, which is how the success or non-success of their season is most prominently defined.

I thought the next year, when McNeese went to GSU a little later in the season, that it proved to be true. GSU was a better team a few weeks later than they were the season before for the season opener.

I think the looming playoff hovering over the whole season changes the dynamic in programs where there are expectation to get at-large bids, to get home field for at least a round, etc.

MACHIAVELLI
May 12th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Grambling transfer for Ryan Perrilloux? Unlikely
Posted 5/12/2008 7:57 AM CDT on thenewsstar.com
Family members are saying a move by Ryan Perrilloux to Grambling is unlikely, though the school has officially asked permission to talk to the dismissed LSU quarterback.

Coach Les Miles (who I'm hearing now was forced, and unhappily, into cutting ties with Perrilloux by upper administration) apparently made a friendly recommendation, in no uncertain terms, that Perrilloux transfer to an out-of-state lower classification program -- granting Perrilloux instant eligibility, but also a dimming spotlight of local media attention. Miles, it seems, opened up about the situation leading to Perrilloux's ouster, and I'm guessing they'll trust his advice to leave Louisiana to shop his gridiron wares.
The News Star (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=386988e9b2a44d5ea619874551d7e114&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=386988e9b2a44d5ea619874551d7e114&plckPostId=Blog%3a386988e9b2a44d5ea619874551d7e114 Post%3a89ba2793-4313-4b2e-80bc-b7e2d815cc5e&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest)