PDA

View Full Version : National Championship in Chatty - Vote

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Curious to see if my theory is correct about people's feeling on Chatty. Keep in mind the vote is public so we'll know if you've been.

blueballs
May 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Other than the unpredictability of the weather, there's nothing not to like about it in Chatty now that they got field turf.

Touchdown Yosef
May 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I voted to keep it, but there are a few cities I would vote for a move. Chatty does a good job and the stadium is nice but the city isn't all that great and the capacity could stand to be a little bigger.

jstate83
May 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Move.

bandl
May 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM
What if we've been to Chatty, but not for the game?? xeyebrowx

Uncle Buck
May 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Been to Chattanooga but never the game. The city was okay but not great. Though I did like it better than Huntington, WV.

I should clarify, we were driving through and stopped for a day.

bluehenbillk
May 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's a biased poll on how it's setup, many people would rather vote for the game should rotate sites, versus stay or be left in Chatty. That's what I being a sales & marketing guy for a living, you can always get the answer you want by how you phrase the question, or in this case possible selections.

AppGrad06
May 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I like it in Chatty plus I'm told they have a kick a$$ aquarium (though I've never gone to it myself) if you're looking to make a weekend out of it need something to do on Sunday. Supposedly all the water in the aquarium flows down hill starting from mountain stream ecosystems with trout and you follow the flow of water down hill through the changing ecosystem until it gets to the sea.

there are some other cities that would be good as well though and I wouldn't be apposed to rotation

ButlerGSU
May 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Nashville or Charlotte would be better but I'm still a fan of moving it to Atlanta...in early December there is nothing really to compete with it...the SEC Championship is normally played on a different weekend...

Eaglesrus
May 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Without any specific options to consider I vote to leave it in Chattanooga but, like T-Yo, there are certainly cities that I would vote for over 'nooga. Charleston, when (if?) The Citadel's stadium is ever completely renovated, would be one. Does San Antonio have a football stadium that would work? If so they would get my vote also.

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I was going to ask the same thing. Been there a few times when I lived in ATL.

ASUTed
May 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
No bathrooms, no organization, no reason to ever have it in Chatty again.

DLS
May 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
alternative

. . . the rock. (might as well be)

OL FU
May 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It's a biased poll on how it's setup, many people would rather vote for the game should rotate sites, versus stay or be left in Chatty. That's what I being a sales & marketing guy for a living, you can always get the answer you want by how you phrase the question, or in this case possible selections.

Start a different poll. We like pollsxnodx

AppAlum2003
May 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Aside from the attendance issues, Chatty's been a decent host for this game. The city seems to have embraced the game and, for the most part, attend in high numbers. However, I'm biased based on the last 3 seasons.

TTUEagles
May 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I just would rather see it on a Saturday, so I could go. I'm an FCS fan, and usually have settled for seeing the D-II or NAIA champ. games.
Seeing how my team probably won't be there (for a while anyway), it doesn't really matter. I would prefer to keep it in state, but I don't know where a good place to play in Nashville would be...(the surface at LP Field is typically awful in Dec.)

AppStFan76
May 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm all for rotating the location, spread the love around!!xpeacex

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Move.

You'll never get there so why vote to move? xnodx xnodx

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Doesn't count. That's like being to the Verizon Center when it's empty.

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM

What are you SMOKIN???xlolx

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
How else could I have phrased them? There are two answers for two different groups of people. Either you've been to the game or you haven't and either you think Chatty is the right place or you don't.

Biased would have been:

- I've never been to Chatty so I can't possibly comment from experience but I still believe the game should be moved.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Move.
Which year did you go to the NC game?

JohnStOnge
May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Depends on where they'd move it. I personally would rather see it in an area that's likely to be warmer than the current location at that time of year.

bandl
May 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Doesn't count. That's like being to the Verizon Center when it's empty.

But I've been to/through Chatty several times....it's a boring city. At least DC is exciting.

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
But I've been to/through Chatty several times....it's a boring city. At least DC is exciting.

Yea,xnodx if you carry a BIG GUN...xnodx xnodx xnodx xcoolx

bandl
May 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Yea,xnodx if you carry a BIG GUN...xnodx xnodx xnodx xcoolx

Speaking from experience? I've lived here all my life....never needed a gun. xeyebrowx

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm sure it is boring when the NC isn't there. But 20,000+ fans descend on it, they banners go up, the hotels and bars are full and most are walking distance and not very expensive, the pavillion is packed... DC is exciting. It's also expensive and packed with people who wouldn't bat an eye at a I-AA football game (look at G'town and Howard's attendance).

I specifically used the Verizon Center as my analogy because Chatty itself is the venue for our game, the same way the Phone Booth is for a Caps/Wiz game or concert. By itself it's not very exciting, but when full of fans, it's electric.

jstate83
May 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Which year did you go to the NC game?

Was in the area back in 2003 or 4.
Didn't go in the game but hung out.

Nothing to do.
Just the regular old small town going on's.

WUTNDITWAA
May 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
We won't figure out the answer to this question until Appalachian fails to make the finals. So, since Armanti has two years left, it might not be until 2010...maybe. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Was in the area back in 2003 or 4.
Didn't go in the game but hung out.

Nothing to do.
Just the regular old small town going on's.
That's why I put the caviat of having been to the game in Chatty and not just having been to Chatty. Like I said above, I'm sure it is slower the rest of the year. My brother and I shared a table at a bar with two locals who worked at the aquarium and they said the NC weekend is completely different compared to the rest of the year. They take off work that Friday so they can hang out with all the fans.

jstate83
May 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
That's why I put the caviat of having been to the game in Chatty and not just having been to Chatty. Like I said above, I'm sure it is slower the rest of the year. My brother and I shared a table at a bar with two locals who worked at the aquarium and they said the NC weekend is completely different compared to the rest of the year. They take off work that Friday so they can hang out with all the fans.

Outside of attendance growth, I'm not talking about moving the game because of the GAME.
I'm talking about the city.

Seen 1 fish tank, done seen them all. xnodx
I'm talking places to hold event's that will pull people in and hold them for 3 or 4 day's.
You don't need a MEGA City for that but you do need something more than the small town flavor Chatty bring's.

Planned NCAA Sponsered event's, clubs, concert's, shop's, etc.
Going for the game .................YES.
But sitting around a stadium for 72 hours tailgating get's old fast.

Touchdown Yosef
May 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM

While I am not a huge fan of Chatty myself I think Hen is right in that the locals really enjoy the game being there and support it. I don't think you would see that from a city with an NFL team in town. I love the idea of Charlotte or Nashville but I just don't think either city would really even be aware of the game especially if the teams playing didn't have any alumni base in the area.

I am in favor of a move to Saturday rather than Friday. I would also be happier if the stadium could hold 35-40k.

bandl
May 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Awesome...Friday sounds like it could be a great time. I love drinking with locals. xnodx But what do you do in Chatty for the rest of the weekend? xconfusedx

For me, I very rarely travel just to do one thing...i.e., I would never travel anywhere JUST to watch JMU in the title game. I would use the opportunity to do something else as well for at least a couple days. And in Chatty, there just isn't anything else to do. As jstate83 said...even for me, 3 days of tailgating would get old real fast. Just my personal preference though. xpeacex

Touchdown Yosef
May 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Awesome...Friday sounds like it could be a great time. I love drinking with locals. xnodx But what do you do in Chatty for the rest of the weekend? xconfusedx

For me, I very rarely travel just to do one thing...i.e., I would never travel anywhere JUST to watch JMU in the title game. I would use the opportunity to do something else as well for at least a couple days. And in Chatty, there just isn't anything else to do. As jstate83 said...even for me, 3 days of tailgating would get old real fast. Just my personal preference though. xpeacex

I visited Chicimagua and Chattanooga battlefields outside of that you can go to lookout mountian and Rock City.

I also want to say that you can take a tour of the Mayfield Ice Cream factory not too far outside the city.

So there are a few things to do but no big tourist draws.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm talking places to hold event's that will pull people in and hold them for 3 or 4 day's.
You don't need a MEGA City for that but you do need something more than the small town flavor Chatty bring's.

Planned NCAA Sponsered event's, clubs, concert's, shop's, etc.
Going for the game .................YES.
But sitting around a stadium for 72 hours tailgating get's old fast.
I'm not convinced at all that it would happen anywhere. People are only going to travel if their team is in the final no matter where it is. It's great for a couple people here to say they would plan their vacation around the NC game if it were in Orlando or Vegas or wherever... but that's just cheap talk and it's just a few people. It is in the middle of the holiday season and you don't know your team is in until six days prior. It will not draw the fans of other teams period. You could chalk it up to only my opinion, but look at the attendance when App or GSU is not there.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Big deal Ted you pissed your pants. It happens to all of us, but you can't blame it on a lack of bathrooms. Other than the porta potties at the Cricket there is a huge lot full of cars in a field out back of Cricket that you can make use of. Once inside the stadium they have all of the normal amenities, food, drink, urinals, seats, you know the normal stuff. I went when the field was still grass and the weather was terrible monsoon like weather and still love the location and the way the locals give you a free pass to have all the fun you want.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
But what do you do in Chatty for the rest of the weekend? xconfusedx

I would use the opportunity to do something else as well for at least a couple days. And in Chatty, there just isn't anything else to do. As jstate83 said...even for me, 3 days of tailgating would get old real fast. Just my personal preference though. xpeacex
Keep in mind that you don't fly into Chatty when you go for the game. Most people are flying into ATL or maybe Nashville (both 2 hours away). So on Saturday if you don't want to hang around Chatty, go back to your departure city and hang out there. If you're driving the whole way, you're still going through one of those.

Thursday night arrive in ATL or Nashville and stay there.
Friday morning drive up to Chatty: drink, tailgate, game, drink, stay.
Saturday morning drive back to Nashville or ATL if you like and hang out in the big city.

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I voted for it to stay, but I'm open to the idea of moving it.

The nice thing about Chatty is that you're pretty much the only game in town. Easy to get to the stadium and get out, adequate hotels that aren't gouging you. It's a nice place.

There's also a fair amount of stuff to do, both in Tenn. and Georgia. Those that want more to do (and I agree it needs to be more than the game), what do you want to do?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not convinced at all that it would happen anywhere. People are only going to travel if their team is in the final no matter where it is. It's great for a couple people here to say they would plan their vacation around the NC game if it were in Orlando or Vegas or wherever... but that's just cheap talk and it's just a few people. It is in the middle of the holiday season and you don't know your team is in until six days prior. It will not draw the fans of other teams period. You could chalk it up to only my opinion, but look at the attendance when App or GSU is not there.

I agree with you on the points above. When you get the chance to go watch your team it is all about this game. Not if your wife can find a nice trinket and the kids can see some fun animal costumes. That's probably why I can't relate to a lot of you saying it should be somewhere else that has this or that. It's hard enough making the events that the school has going for the fans and the team once you get there without trying to go do a bunch of other superfluous *****. I don't have the attendance figures but when we played Furman and JMU I thought the stadium was pretty full. It wasn't like the ASU/Delaware game at over capacity but it was pretty full.

bandl
May 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Keep in mind that you don't fly into Chatty when you go for the game. Most people are flying into ATL or maybe Nashville (both 2 hours away). So on Saturday if you don't want to hang around Chatty, go back to your departure city and hang out there. If you're driving the whole way, you're still going through one of those.

Thursday night arrive in ATL or Nashville and stay there.
Friday morning drive up to Chatty: drink, tailgate, game, drink, stay.
Saturday morning drive back to Nashville or ATL if you like and hang out in the big city.

exactly....so why not have the game in a locale where you can fly directly into the city? Maybe Atlanta....Nashville.....xwhistlex

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
exactly....so why not have the game in a locale where you can fly directly into the city? Maybe Atlanta....Nashville.....xwhistlex
Ugh xbangx Chicago has a good airport, let's go there. I'm sure it would be nicer to be closer to an airport, but it's pretty far down on the list of importance. I love going to Kiawah for golf but it's almost an hour to the Charleston airport... It's never bothered me once. Atlanta would be a terrible host city in that it wouldn't be hosting at all. It would just be the place where the game was.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
28-13 in favor of those that have been to Chatty and like it. Pretty much what I expected. Especially when at least one of the 13 hasn't been to the NC game and at least three are west coasters that I'm sure would rather have the game moved around so it comes west once in a while. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
28-13 in favor of those that have been to Chatty and like it. Pretty much what I expected. Especially when at least one of the 13 hasn't been to the NC game and at least three are west coasters that I'm sure would rather have the game moved around so it comes west once in a while. :)

That's another difference for me being a MT fan. It doesn't matter where it is hosted. I will have to fly to it, whether it is in the west or not so I don't care that it's in the south, north, east, whatever. I just know that it's nice to go there and have the people cater to you when you're there for it, instead of acting like you're insignificant for rooting for an FCS team.

HiHiYikas
May 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I've been to the last three title games, so I've watched it get a little bigger ever year. I like Chattanooga, and I like that the game fits the size of the city.

The 16 teams in the playoffs last year averaged about 11,000 fans per game in attendance. There's no reason to plan for the championship game to draw over 30,000, or to locate it in a city where a 20,000-person atletic event isn't a big deal.

Sure, Appalachian's recent success skews things, and, if they're in, demand will be high and the typical inconveniences of overcrowding will happen. It's not appropriate, though, to start planning the championship game as if an ASU-type school will be in there every year.

Wait until ASU isn't in there, and we're back to a couple of teams that either haven't ever been or haven't been in a while. Things will even out a bit - might even look a little anemic.

Dane96
May 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Same here for me.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but mainly because of the proximity to the holidays. I still feel that if "niche" sports like ice hockey and lacrosse can make their national championships into events that don't rely on the participating teams then the FCS Championship can also grow. If lacrosse can attract 40K and 50K, then why shouldn't our championship when football is significantly more popular than lacrosse? Ice Hockey has a lottery like hoop and sells out months in advance regardless of location, again despite not being as popular a sport nationally. JMHO, but you need to schedule a few days after Dec. 25th for that to happen with FCS Football.

I'm not anti-Chatty because I think the local support has been growing. There is a reason why the College World Series is in Omaha and the Softball Championship is in Oklahoma City. The cities support the event and there isn't any pro competition. In the FCS scenario, we need to be in a city with no pro or FBS competition. Omaha has grown the CWS over the years and I think Chatty should have the opportunity to do the same.

The South would have the weather, but really how many cities would fit the no competition bill and have a 30-35K stadium? I think Mobile would embrace the championship, but not sure if South Alabama starts football and goes to the Sun Belt as rumored. Nashville is a pro town and an SEC town. Texas is bonkers about football, but would any city there embrace our product when HS, Longhorn, A&M, Tech, Baylor, etc. Football is so entrenched?

With each year of AGS participation, my interest in attending the championship game grows regardless of my school's participation. The proximity to Christmas is still a major stumbling block though. I could come up with enough things to do in Chatty and Atlanta/Nashville if I flew or along the way if I drove to justify the trip. Bundling with an all star game and/or with the D-II and D-III championships would make the event significantly more appealing.

Rob Iola
May 6th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Huge attendance figures when a big Socon school like App or GSU makes it, sharp dropoff otherwise (what, 12K if it's SIU v. UNH?). Chatty's fine, accessible, and like others said a true host city as opposed to simply being a venue. And Jack Daniels has a cool tour a bit to the North...

Or maybe Huntington, WV...

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Huge attendance figures when a big Socon school like App or GSU makes it, sharp dropoff otherwise (what, 12K if it's SIU v. UNH?). Chatty's fine, accessible, and like others said a true host city as opposed to simply being a venue. And Jack Daniels has a cool tour a bit to the North...

I'll drink to that "old #7"xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Mountain Panther
May 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Move it to a big city in Texas.

HiHiYikas
May 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Chattanooga's 500 miles inland (going east more than southeast), making it only 330-something miles from Carbondale. That's only about ten miles further than Statesboro is from Chattanooga.

It's 270 miles from Boone to Chattanooga, BTW.

PantherRob82
May 6th, 2008, 09:00 PM
oops...i voted wrong.

Been to Chatty, would not mind seeing it moved.

Rob Iola
May 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Chattanooga's 500 miles inland (going east more than southeast), making it only 330-something miles from Carbondale. That's only about ten miles further than Statesboro is from Chattanooga.

Except that it could be IN Carbondale w/SIU playing and you'd still only get 12K...

HiHiYikas
May 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Except that it could be IN Carbondale w/SIU playing and you'd still only get 12K...
You could have said the same thing about ASU fans before 2005.

I guess it takes a couple of very successful years to get a program's playoff/national championship attendance up. ASU went to the semi's twice before 2005, and has long been a regular playoff team. Still, they drew as little as 4000 to home playoff games before the first title.

There weren't more than 10,000 at the first-round game vs. Lafayette back in 2005, and this was a title year. And there was a never-before heard buzz among fans that season - we knew this was a special team. I won't look it up, but I was at that game and I seem to recall the attendance being in the 6,000's.

If SIU won three titles in a row, I'd bet there'd be a lot of SIU fans by that third year. That's a very tough thing to do, though.

As an ASU fan, I know how lucky I am to have seen my team do this. When that's who's going to Chattanooga, a city within reasonable driving distance for ASU students and most alumni, things at the game are going to seem pretty tight.

Mountain Panther
May 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM

270 miles of this.....

http://www.mo.gov/mo/mophotos/rural/RU_MissouriRoads_Pickert_040507.jpg

;)

HiHiYikas
May 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
270 miles of this....
Until you get to the interstate, that's not far from the truth.

SeattleGriz
May 6th, 2008, 11:26 PM
While I understand the need to keep the game in a location that is more central to the "population base" of FCS teams, I would love to see the game in a bigger city, like Las Vegas.

I would also like to see the game not be played on 6 days notice if your team wins in the semifinals and advances. Very hard to get airfare at a reasonable price when you book 6 days out.

Look at how many from Wofford almost choked when they figured out how much it was to fly into Missoula.

crunifan
May 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I actually think Las Vegas is a great idea. Tickets aren't too expensive to Las Vegas. Here in Iowa, both Des Moines and Cedar Rapids offer non-stop flights to Las Vegas around $200 both ways. Plus, it is a fun town that would be fun to stay before and after the game.

Tod
May 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Does it matter in this poll that the game must, by NCAA rule, be played in a city with an FCS team?

I'm guessing no, since 89Hen would have pointed that out.

Maybe we need another thread with this in mind.

Or, maybe the rule has changed. xconfusedx

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I still feel that if "niche" sports like ice hockey and lacrosse can make their national championships into events that don't rely on the participating teams then the FCS Championship can also grow. If lacrosse can attract 40K and 50K, then why shouldn't our championship when football is significantly more popular than lacrosse?
I think it's because if you are into lacrosse, that is the biggest lacrosse event of the year in the whole country. If you're into college hockey, it's the biggest college hockey event of the year in the whole country. Our NC game isn't even close to the biggest college football game in the southeast.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Does it matter in this poll that the game must, by NCAA rule, be played in a city with an FCS team?
xconfusedx xconfusedx Never heard of that rule. IIRC San Antonio was in the running a couple years ago when Chatty's contract came up. They don't have any college football, do they?

AshevilleApp2
May 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
You could have said the same thing about ASU fans before 2005.

I guess it takes a couple of very successful years to get a program's playoff/national championship attendance up. ASU went to the semi's twice before 2005, and has long been a regular playoff team. Still, they drew as little as 4000 to home playoff games before the first title.

There weren't more than 10,000 at the first-round game vs. Lafayette back in 2005, and this was a title year. And there was a never-before heard buzz among fans that season - we knew this was a special team. I won't look it up, but I was at that game and I seem to recall the attendance being in the 6,000's.

If SIU won three titles in a row, I'd bet there'd be a lot of SIU fans by that third year. That's a very tough thing to do, though.

As an ASU fan, I know how lucky I am to have seen my team do this. When that's who's going to Chattanooga, a city within reasonable driving distance for ASU students and most alumni, things at the game are going to seem pretty tight.

Good post Hi. I think you're about right on the Lafayette attendance. First round games have traditionally had poorer attendance. Probably due to being on Thanksgiving weekend. I wasn't able to get to the JMU game this past season, sick with the flu, but I'm wondering how close to a sellout that game was?

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Our NC game isn't even close to the biggest college football game in the southeast.

Bingo! Why does it have to be in the Southeast, every year?

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 08:14 AM
2005 First Round
Cal Poly 35 - Montana 21 (Missoula, MT - 16,162)
Texas State 50 - Georgia Southern 35 (San Marcos, TX - 10,000)
New Hampshire 55 - Colgate 21 (Durham, NH - 7,806)
Northern Iowa 41 - Eastern Washington 38 (Cedar Falls, IA - 7,746)
Appalachian State 34 - Lafayette 23 (Boone, NC - 6,327)
Richmond 38 - Hampton 10 (Hampton, VA - 5,343)
Furman 14 - Nicholls State 12 (Greenville, SC - 4,125)
Southern Illinois 21 - Eastern Illinois 6 (Charleston, IL - 2,896)

rest or the way...
Appalachian State 38 - Southern Illinois 24 (Boone, NC - 11,108)
Appalachian State 29 - Furman 23 (Boone, NC - 15,107)

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Weather and proximity. Move it a place where both team's fans have to fly and watch attendance plummet.

1986 Tacoma, Wash. 4,419
1985 Tacoma, Wash. 5,306
1988 Pocatello, Idaho 11,500
1987 Pocatello, Idaho 11,513
1982 Wichita Falls, Texas 11,257
1981 Wichita Falls, Texas 11,003
1980 Sacramento, Calif. 8,157
1978 Wichita Falls, Texas 13,604

Touchdown Yosef
May 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Good post Hi. I think you're about right on the Lafayette attendance. First round games have traditionally had poorer attendance. Probably due to being on Thanksgiving weekend. I wasn't able to get to the JMU game this past season, sick with the flu, but I'm wondering how close to a sellout that game was?

Plenty of seats available for that game. It just is too hard to fill the stadium on short notice over thanksgiving weekend. Plus if i remember correctly I think it was 8 degrees when I parked my car in boone. That may have kept a few people away.

Touchdown Yosef
May 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Weather. No one drive x amount of miles to tailgate in the wind, cold, and snow.

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Weather and proximity. Move it a place where both team's fans have to fly and watch attendance plummet.

1986 Tacoma, Wash. 4,419
1985 Tacoma, Wash. 5,306
1988 Pocatello, Idaho 11,500
1987 Pocatello, Idaho 11,513
1982 Wichita Falls, Texas 11,257
1981 Wichita Falls, Texas 11,003
1980 Sacramento, Calif. 8,157
1978 Wichita Falls, Texas 13,604

Well comparing apples & apples, the 1st EIGHT years the NC was in Chatty it averaged less than 16K. Only hit 20K once & that's b/c GSU was in it.

GAD
May 7th, 2008, 09:01 AM
What other cities have expressed intrest in hosting the game?

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Well comparing apples & apples, the 1st EIGHT years the NC was in Chatty it averaged less than 16K. Only hit 20K once & that's b/c GSU was in it.
So you'd rather move it around so we have to start over each year and have less of a chance of a team being close by? xeyebrowx

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Weather. No one drive x amount of miles to tailgate in the wind, cold, and snow.

xlolx xlolx xlolx Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, UMass, Northern Iowa, Youngstown fans, among others, anyone else wanna knock this ball right out of the park. If there ever was a ball put on a tee, it's this comment.
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

Touchdown Yosef
May 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, UMass, Northern Iowa, Youngstown fans, among others, anyone else wanna knock this ball right out of the park. If there ever was a ball put on a tee, it's this comment.
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

Not saying that no one will tailgate (I go to Boone to tailgate) just that nicer weather is more apealing and more conducive to travel. It also acts as an incentive, if I have to travel to see my team play and convince my family to come along I would rather be going somewhere where it is say 50 or 60 degrees rather than 20 or 30. Weather and population are probably the biggest reasons the game is on the South East.

travelinman67
May 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I'm with Ursus on this...I really don't want to see it rotate to the west coast...for several reasons. First, the bulk of the FCS programs are east of the Rockies. Second, my personal observation is that (stereotyping), it's more likely a WC'er will head east for a game than vice-versa. Third, because of the closer proximity of the programs, it's easier (cheaper) for the majority of the attendees to travel to the game that out west...(i.e., Colo or Zoo to CA is generally a 2 day drive, yet Chatty is pretty much a 1 day drive from anywhere E. of the Mississippi (yes...I've checked).
Things to do...as has been discussed by several, you can fly into Atlanta or Nashville both of which have tons of things to do, then head over for the game...etc... Substitute "East Washington" for Chatty and try that... (can you say, "Death by boredom" ?). Lodging...being a "professional" traveler, I can assure you lodging out west is as a rule 15-20% more expensive than around Chatty. Then there's Phoenix (NAU)...check out the local car rental and lodging taxes...last time I looked you just added almost 50% to the cost of the two (sorry, Tom & Jon, but it's true).

It goes on and on. Keep Chatty as the host. Like others, I've been there, but not for the game...maybe there's a better place somewhere, but Chatty seems just fine.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx
xconfusedx You're talking about home fans going to home games, not fans traveling hundreds of miles. How many Hen fans made it to UNI or SIU?

JDC325
May 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
It is super close for me but I would still like to see it moved to a larger venue. I know it will not always be two close teams in the game but the stadium is just not adequate when it is two close well supported teams. The chance for crappy weather seems to be to high as well and Chattanooga is not a mecca for tourism. Charleston, Atlanta or Jacksonville would get my vote.

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Cmon 89, how many UD road games have you been to? There's plenty of UD fans that travel to games in New England or other road destinations where it's not always sunny & seasonable. There's no reason you can't have it in a more northward location. Heck if weather was the prime factor the game wouldn't be in Chatty in the first place.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
moved to a larger venue... Atlanta or Jacksonville would get my vote.
xsmhx

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20071129/20/1261030785-soccer-uefa-cup-group-f-bolton-wanderers-v-aris-salonika.jpg

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
How many Hen fans made it to UNI or SIU?

Cmon 89, how many UD road games have you been to? There's plenty of UD fans that travel to games in New England or other road destinations where it's not always sunny & seasonable. There's no reason you can't have it in a more northward location. Heck if weather was the prime factor the game wouldn't be in Chatty in the first place.
I've been to almost every road venue the Hens play and other than the obvious Villanova, all the best road attendances are for games at W&M, JMU, UR and Towson and that's in Sept/Oct... if the games were played in December no Hen fans would go to UMass, URI, UNH....

Weather is not the prime factor (where did anyone say it was?) but it is a major factor when you're talking about a very good chance of crappy weather. Chatty weather isn't as good as Florida, but it's good enough to not make it a factor.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Chattanooga is convenient to the SoCon, and we are there every year anyway :)

It's a nice city. Pretty centrally located on the East coast. It wouldn't necessarily make sense to move the game out west as there are usually only a couple teams that even make the playoffs much less the national championship.

Remember Furman and Georgia Southern (two schools roughly 260 miles apart) played in the title game twice. Once in Tacoma, once in Pocatello. Now THAT is convenient to just about no body but the Big Sky :)

813Jag
May 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
It is super close for me but I would still like to see it moved to a larger venue. I know it will not always be two close teams in the game but the stadium is just not adequate when it is two close well supported teams. The chance for crappy weather seems to be to high as well and Chattanooga is not a mecca for tourism. Charleston, Atlanta or Jacksonville would get my vote.
Alltel is too big for this game.

JDC325
May 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
xsmhx

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20071129/20/1261030785-soccer-uefa-cup-group-f-bolton-wanderers-v-aris-salonika.jpg

So you are saying it is better to sell out a small stadium and a ton of folks not be able to get in for appearance sake then everyone be able to attend increasing profit and be in a city with real tourist attractions....ok you win. xrotatehx

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Hey, I have an idea. Why not put it in Statesboro, GA. (Tourism and convention capital of EASTERN GA).
Not to mention, home base for CLAYDUS!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbeerchugx xsplatx

TheValleyRaider
May 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
So you are saying it is better to sell out a small stadium and a ton of folks not be able to get in for appearance sake then everyone be able to attend increasing profit and be in a city with real tourist attractions....ok you win. xrotatehx

How many people are/were getting shut out in Chattanooga? xeyebrowx xconfusedx

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
if the games were played in December no Hen fans would go to UMass, URI, UNH....

Well URI is just a crap-ass stadium but speak for yourself on not following your team to New England at that time of year to watch them...

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Well most people couldn't fly into Chatty b/c you can't rent a car there, or they make it very difficult. There's only about 500 cars available at the airport & they sold out of them early this year.

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Probably not that many. Most were there to party anyway..

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Well most people couldn't fly into Chatty b/c you can't rent a car there, or they make it very difficult. There's only about 500 cars available at the airport & they sold out of them early this year.

I rented a car when I got there on Thursday before the game. No problem.

813Jag
May 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Honest question: For the people who want the game moved to any stadium over 40K, how many of you have been to games in large stadia with a crowd that doesn't come close to filling it?

I went to a game that had 30K at Alltel and it looked like it was empty.

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Honest question: For the people who want the game moved to any stadium over 40K, how many of you have been to games in large stadia with a crowd that doesn't come close to filling it?

I went to a game that had 30K at Alltel and it looked like it was empty.

Me too. It really takes away from the importance of the event. BIGTIME !!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

appfan2008
May 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I would like for the game to stay in chatty and of course i have been 3 times... I would just like to see an upper deck added... that would solve ALL of the problems...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, all this will be moot in 25 years when JMU hosts the NC Title Game in its 40,000 stadium.

(Sarcasm was intended)

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I rented a car when I got there on Thursday before the game. No problem.

Not this past year.

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Not this past year.

Yes I did.

ngineer
May 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Never been there, but from what I've seen, it seems to be a good place to visit and have the game. Moving the game does have certain pluses, but I don't think they outweigh the minuses. Remember a good number of our schools are not 'large' with huge alumni bases spread around. Having it in a warm 'resort type' city seems good at first blush, but when that has been tried attendance was very low.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
You have nothing to prove that. Short of it being an AppSt/GSU final this was we had close to a perfect storm of App in the finals and a strong UD contingent. There were not tons of people turned away.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well URI is just a crap-ass stadium but speak for yourself on not following your team to New England at that time of year to watch them...
xbangx You are lying out of your arse if you even try to say there are as many UD fans at any game in NE as there are for games at JMU, W&M, UR or Towson. C'mon bill. xcoffeex

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Having it in a warm 'resort type' city seems good at first blush
BINGO. That's it in a nutshell. Like I said earlier, it's a lot of cheap talk from people here that say "Hell yea, I'd go to Vegas or Orlando for the game", but when push came to shove they'd be a no-show... just like me in Cedar Falls last year. xsmiley_wix :o

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
xbangx You are lying out of your arse if you even try to say there are as many UD fans at any game in NE as there are for games at JMU, W&M, UR or Towson. C'mon bill. xcoffeex

W&M there are a lot of fans, JMU the # has dwindled, UR doesn't get that much & I've been too all the Towson games & have been disappointed, I thought that'd be 2nd to 'Nova.

We seem to always bring a lot up to UMass, maybe you were at a soccer game those weekends....

JDC325
May 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I would like for the game to stay in chatty and of course i have been 3 times... I would just like to see an upper deck added... that would solve ALL of the problems...

Then you might run the risk of having a few empty seats and well that just would not look good....xnonox

JDC325
May 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hey, I have an idea. Why not put it in Statesboro, GA. (Tourism and convention capital of EASTERN GA).
Not to mention, home base for CLAYDUS!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbeerchugx xsplatx

I am not from or live in Statesboro so your smart as s comment does not have any real effect on me...sorry you can not comprehend that just because someone attends a school in a certain city they do not currently live there or is a native. Here something that will blow your mind as well some folks commute from other cities to go to GSU.....xeekx I guess we could move it to Greenville a pass through armpit city in South Carolina where you stop to take a dump when you are headed to somewhere actually nice in S.C like Charleston. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
W&M there are a lot of fans, JMU the # has dwindled, UR doesn't get that much & I've been too all the Towson games & have been disappointed, I thought that'd be 2nd to 'Nova.

We seem to always bring a lot up to UMass, maybe you were at a soccer game those weekends....
I'm going to pin you down. Are you saying more Hen fans go to UMass games than the others? Rank 'em. Here's my ranking...

1. Villanova
2. Towson
3. W&M
4. JMU
5. UR
6. UMass
7. Hofstra
8. NU
9. URI
10. UNH
11. Maine

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Then you might run the risk of having a few empty seats and well that just would not look good....xnonox
xrolleyesx

30,000 in a 35,000 stadium is OK
30,000 in a 65,000 stadium is not
25,000 in a 25,000 is better than either IMO

appmaj
May 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure. I like Chatt for the closeness to Boone. But I would also like to move the game somewhere larger and to where the citizens of a city would appreciate the FCS game a little more.

lizrdgizrd
May 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I'm looking for the WGAF option.

AppAlum2003
May 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure. I like Chatt for the closeness to Boone. But I would also like to move the game somewhere larger and to where the citizens of a city would appreciate the FCS game a little more.

How has the city of Chattanooga not embraced this game? Every time I've been, I've talked to local-upon-local about how excited they are every year.

Eaglesrus
May 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM

You do know that the game was played in Paulson three times to crowds that averaged 20,532, correct? (GSU participated in two of those games, of course :) )

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm going to pin you down. Are you saying more Hen fans go to UMass games than the others? Rank 'em. Here's my ranking...

1. Villanova
2. Towson
3. W&M
4. JMU
5. UR
6. UMass
7. Hofstra
8. NU
9. URI
10. UNH
11. Maine

I'd say:

1- 'Nova
2- W&M
3- Towson
4- UMass
5- JMU (would & used to be higher but small allotment)
6- UR
7- Hofstra
8- UNH
9- URI
10 (tie) NU & Maine

Touchdown Yosef
May 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
How has the city of Chattanooga not embraced this game? Every time I've been, I've talked to local-upon-local about how excited they are every year.

Agreed, a city with an NFL team or something similiar will not care about the FCS NC and will barely notice that it is even there.

I would also agree with the poster that said an upper deck would be welcomed. Someone said that not many people were shut out of the game this past year but most of those who were did not go to Chatty. Plenty more tickets would have been sold to App fans if the availability was there. I went without tickets and was lucky enough to get some but i paid 3 times face value.

The reality of it is that Chattanooga is about as good of a fit as we have right now and the game isn't going anywhere. The geographic location makes sense, the climate is agreeable, the stadium location is nice, the stadium itself is very nice, and the town wants it there.

Retro
May 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The one thing i don't like about Chatty is that it's so damn cold in the mountains at night. It's hard to enjoy a game when your freezing your azz off!xeekx

Chatty is good because of sort of central location for most teams, however i would prefer a warmer climate, not just for fans but so both teams can showcase their talents on a neutral field with decent weather all the time..

I think Mobile is ideal, althought not an FCS city, it has everything you need.. 40,000 seat stadium, turf field, big airport, trains, buses, easy interstate access via I-10 and I-65, plenty of Hotels, Restaurants, Historic Attractions, Shopping, etc..

Fans of that area have always supported football from all levels, be it high school, occasional HBCU matchups, Senior Bowl and GMAC Bowl. So even if it's not an FCS City you'd see a decent amount of locals go to the game and having 40,000 seats would not make it look as empty if you only sell 20,000 + tickets, but still gives you a lot more seating to accomodate large fan bases like App state, Delaware, Ga Southern, Mcneese, etc..

You can even walk along the beach in gulf shores during december in south alabama, although cold, not nearly as cold as chatty.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'd say:

1- 'Nova
2- W&M
3- Towson
4- UMass
5- JMU (would & used to be higher but small allotment)
6- UR
7- Hofstra
8- UNH
9- URI
10 (tie) NU & Maine
You and I are probably both close to the truth. 2-3 are fairly comparable, then 4-7 are as well and the last four are a toss-up for the bottom. I missed Towson this year, but three years ago the Hen fans filled most of the visiting side. W&M we fill half of the visiting side.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The one thing i don't like about Chatty is that it's so damn cold in the mountains at night. It's hard to enjoy a game when your freezing your azz off!xeekx
Ah, you're just used to LA. :p We had great weather last year. Almost 60 in the day and didn't drop too much that evening.

GAD
May 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Chatty is good because of sort of central location for most teams, however i would prefer a warmer climate, not just for fans but so both teams can showcase their talents on a neutral field with decent weather all the time..

I think Mobile is ideal, althought not an FCS city, it has everything you need.. 40,000 seat stadium, turf field, big airport, trains, buses, easy interstate access via I-10 and I-65, plenty of Hotels, Restaurants, Historic Attractions, Shopping, etc..

Fans of that area have always supported football from all levels, be it high school, occasional HBCU matchups, Senior Bowl and GMAC Bowl. So even if it's not an FCS City you'd see a decent amount of locals go to the game and having 40,000 seats would not make it look as empty if you only sell 20,000 + tickets, but still gives you a lot more seating to accomodate large fan bases like App state, Delaware, Ga Southern, Mcneese, etc..

You can even walk along the beach in gulf shores during december in south alabama, although cold, not nearly as cold as chatty.
Why not Lake Charles?

Retro
May 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Why not Lake Charles?

Well, the stadium here only seats 17,000 +, with maybe another 2,000 or so on the hills.. Lake Charles would be good once 2 things are done.. 1. Stadium is enlarged to at least 25,000 and New Fieldhouse is finished, which will be around start of 2009 season or maybe shortly after.

Other than that L.C. would be good as we now have many more hotels just being completed not to mention the casino's, great local support and food.. Problem would be airport as it is small and only 1 name airline servicing it on a regular basis..

Eaglesrus
May 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, the stadium here only seats 17,000 +, with maybe another 2,000 or so on the hills.. Lake Charles would be good once 2 things are done.. 1. Stadium is enlarged to at least 25,000 and New Fieldhouse is finished, which will be around start of 2009 season or maybe shortly after.

Other than that L.C. would be good as we now have many more hotels just being completed not to mention the casino's, great local support and food.. Problem would be airport as it is small and only 1 name airline servicing it on a regular basis..

That's basically why we didn't get there when GSU played McNeese. Didn't have enough time to drive and couldn't find reasonably priced flights from Savannah to Lake Charles.

Milo
May 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM

I think Chatty is a great host city, it is the perfect size city for this type of event. Located well, weather can be iffy but then again thats what makes football great. It is close enough to Atlanta and Nashville, and yet the game is a big deal to Chatty unlike what it would be in a bigger city with pro sports and FCS teams.
For the big draw games they could use a few more seats but I think that is my only gripe, I still think they could put temporary seating in the one endzone and make it safe.
In making this trip the last three years I also appreciate how the city has kept more establishments up and running after the game.
Also, it is very affordable....tickets for a championship game are cheap, hotels as well....great food values.
Don't change a thing.
I agree with what someone said, let Chattanooga be our Omaha.

89Hen
May 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I think Chatty is a great host city, it is the perfect size city for this type of event. Located well, weather can be iffy but then again thats what makes football great. It is close enough to Atlanta and Nashville, and yet the game is a big deal to Chatty unlike what it would be in a bigger city with pro sports and FCS teams.
For the big draw games they could use a few more seats but I think that is my only gripe, I still think they could put temporary seating in the one endzone and make it safe.
In making this trip the last three years I also appreciate how the city has kept more establishments up and running after the game.
Also, it is very affordable....tickets for a championship game are cheap, hotels as well....great food values.
Don't change a thing.
I agree with what someone said, let Chattanooga be our Omaha.
Milo nailed it. Welcome aboard. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
May 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Too far away from Delaware...

CopperCat
May 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
There are plenty of centrally located places that the NC game could be played at. Kansas City IMO is a prime candidate (decent media market, sports teams already in the area etc.) Chatanooga doesn't really have the appeal that our level needs I guess. Maybe if we were to move the game to a place like Kansas City we would get some more attention out of the deal.

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I am not from or live in Statesboro so your smart as s comment does not have any real effect on me...sorry you can not comprehend that just because someone attends a school in a certain city they do not currently live there or is a native. Here something that will blow your mind as well some folks commute from other cities to go to GSU.....xeekx I guess we could move it to Greenville a pass through armpit city in South Carolina where you stop to take a dump when you are headed to somewhere actually nice in S.C like Charleston. xthumbsupx

Hey bud. I never said you were from statesboro.

Get your story straight before you say I SAID. Another inferiority complex coming out of statesboro. Someone please explain this to me. Why are so many people with a statesboro connection so edgey. Git a grip. I don't know where JDC325 got so many ideas that I said this and I said that. Ever heard of sarcasm dip stick?xlolx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbabycryx xbabycryx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xdizzyx

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 10:20 PM
You do know that the game was played in Paulson three times to crowds that averaged 20,532, correct? (GSU participated in two of those games, of course :) )

I really don't think I would be bragging about those numbers.

Not trying to be an a$$ but think about it.

eaglesrthe1
May 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Then comparing apples to apples that means that the attendance was up approx 60%, even though GSU was in 3 of those earlier NC games.

The main reason that people have said that Chatty fits is the proximity to most of the teams that would play in it increases the odds of having a decent attendance. The results since it has been in Chatty have done nothing but support this theory.

Charleston would probably work as well once the upgrades to Johnson-Hagood are complete, but you have the NCAA ban to deal with.

Eaglesrus
May 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I really don't think I would be bragging about those numbers.

Not trying to be an a$$ but think about it.

I'm not bragging (thus comment with the smiley, I obviously was referencing that the size of the crowds were related to GSU being in it, so I really didn't need you to point that out to me, but thanks!). In any case, those numbers are still better than most years in other places. The year that brought the average way down was when Marshall and Youngstown played (12,667), two schools that aren't exactly close to Statesboro.

SideLine Shooter
May 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Too far away from Delaware...

Delaware was well represented in Chatty last year by their fans, not so much by their team. Sorry, I had to put that last part in.

Hoyadestroya85
May 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I think that Somewhere in Virginia or carolina would be a nice place.. only question is where.. seems to be a nice centralized location..

Eaglesrus
May 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I think that Somewhere in Virginia or carolina would be a nice place.. only question is where.. seems to be a nice centralized location..

I'm thinking that folks from Eastern Washington, The Dakotas, Sacramento State, etc., wouldn't think of that as being all that centralized, my point being that those that decide these things can't make everybody happy. Personally I think the weather in Chattanooga is dicey enough and I wouldn't want to see it moved further north. It's probably obvious that I'm also one of those that thinks the game should be played outdoors.

stevdock
May 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Other than the Georgia Dome which is too big and too far south for the Championship game, are there any other domes in the east to take weather out of consideration for the game?

Touchdown Yosef
May 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Other than the Georgia Dome which is too big and too far south for the Championship game, are there any other domes in the east to take weather out of consideration for the game?

Who really wants to play the game in a dome. My concern with weather would be more on travel and tailgate. Going to play in a nice dome when its 15 degrees outside and snowing holds no appeal to me.

Borat
May 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Atlanta would be a terrible host city in that it wouldn't be hosting at all. It would just be the place where the game was.

I agree. Atlanta is a fun place, but I agree that the whole event (not just the game itself) are a bigger deal to the city of Chattanooga than what it would be to the city of Atlanta.

This may be kind of a stretch, but Norfolk, Va may be a good spot once renovation of Foreman Field is complete.

UDChE89
May 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I agree. Atlanta is a fun place, but I agree that the whole event (not just the game itself) are a bigger deal to the city of Chattanooga than what it would be to the city of Atlanta.

This may be kind of a stretch, but Norfolk, Va may be a good spot once renovation of Foreman Field is complete.

I don't know what this "infatuation" with Atlanta hosting the game is. As far as tourism is concerned, I haven't found Atlanta all that exciting. The bar scene is much better, but the attractions are there in Chattanooga.. you just have to do a little bit of searching to find them. Heck, it could take you just as long to get from a downtown hotel to Stone Mountain as it would be to go from Chattanooga to the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg.

As far as Norfolk is concerned, the climate's not going to be much better than Chattanooga especially being so close to the water. The game's in December. Unless you're below the frost line, the weather's going to be variable. I remember living in Greenville, SC and freezing in December then wearing shorts in January. There are plenty of teams out there that are used to playing games in cold weather.. guess that might give them an advantage but I sure as heck don't want the game played in a dome.

Cap'n Cat
May 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I was at Chatty in 2005 and it was colder 'n *****. Would like someplace warmer.

SideLine Shooter
May 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I was at Chatty in 2005 and it was colder 'n *****. Would like someplace warmer.

Cap'n, In '05 in Chatty it was not cold.

Eyes of Old Main
May 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I have not been tothe game, but I have been to Chattanooga nad it's a nice mid-sized town. I know it's a nice place to visit, and suspect it's a great location for the game. Besides, if it's there, you have a natural host school, but none of the conflicts about home field advantage you had when it was hosted by GSU or Marshall.

HiHiYikas
May 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
2005 - Very cold; wore gloves on my hands and long underwear under my jeans.

2006 - Unseasonably warm; wore shorts to the game.

2007 - Warm until sundown; wore shorts through most of the tailgating, changed into jeans after dark.

The Chattanooga weather has really been a mixed bag over the past three years. 2005 was very cold, 2006 was very warm, 2007 was a little of both. We did get into some freezing rain during the drive back from Chattanooga across Virginia, though.

Appguy
May 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I would choose for it to stay, for geographical reasons only.
The city it self is dead and ugly specifically around the stadium. Also, they have had sound system issues the past 3 years. The lack of enough bathroom/portajohns has also been bad

Eaglesrus
May 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I would choose for it to stay, for geographical reasons only.
The city it self is dead and ugly specifically around the stadium. Also, they have had sound system issues the past 3 years. The lack of enough bathroom/portajohns has also been bad

Ummm, you are an App State fan, correct?

89Hen
May 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Also, they have had sound system issues the past 3 years.
That was a darn shame this year. Apparently the system was fine prior to the game and somebody tripped over a wire or something to that effect. xoopsx

Syntax Error
May 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yes, the new system speakers were blown before the game by an inexperienced operator.

Monarch History
May 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Had originally said I would rather see it moved, but after reading all these posts I now believe it's in the right city for now.

blackcaesar3k5
May 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM
move the fcs championship game to Atlanta, GA or Jacksonville, FL..

AppMan
May 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM
When The Citadel completes the revovation of their stadium move it there. I want any excuse I can get to go to Charleston!

ASUMountaineer
May 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've said it before, I would like to see it at Papa John's Stadium in Louisville, Ky.

SideLine Shooter
May 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
It doesn't get any better than this!!!xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
May 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Ask Coach Moore.xnodx xnodx

EmeryZach
May 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
It would be cool to see it moved every year. It is pretty much home field advantage for every southern team. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time there and the stadium is beautiful, but It would just be fun to see it played somewhere else. I think we could definitely almost fill a bigger NFL or FBS stadium. Oh well, it's not going to change anytime soon anyways.

89Hen
May 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I've said it before, I would like to see it at Papa John's Stadium in Louisville, Ky.
I'd like to hear more reasons.

KJ Eagle
May 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM

as opposed to the potra-johns that you guys have??? xnonox

Kiss My Apps
May 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I think Ted is referring to the crap river flowing out of the overflowed porta-johns in the parking lot. While we may temporarily have porta-johns in KBS, at least there are more than enough of them.

You probably wouldn't mind the crap river though... you're used to having one next to your stadium. Probably try to bottle it up and spread it on the field.

Saint3333
May 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
as opposed to the potra-johns that you guys have??? xnonox

Enjoy saying that for the next year and 4 months. ASU is upgrading restrooms (adding 200+), concessions (adding permanent building on the east and south endzone, and seating (4,400 on the east side and 1,500 box and club seats) in KBS. The 100,000 sq. ft. facility being built behind the West Stands will be unlike anything anyone in the SoCon has.

http://www.goasu.com/page/176/

APPALACHIANstate
May 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Enjoy saying that for the next year and 4 months. ASU is upgrading restrooms (adding 200+), concessions (adding permanent building on the east and south endzone, and seating (4,400 on the east side and 1,500 box and club seats) in KBS. The 100,000 sq. ft. facility being built behind the West Stands will be unlike anything anyone in the SoCon has.

http://www.goasu.com/page/176/

Hey, bricks in the entrance plaza are only $250, nice! I may have to invest in some of those.

ericsaid
May 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Honestly, what are you going to do on game day in the time preceding the game? all you need is a bar, parking lot, ABC store, or grocery store, and your set.

If it's moved people will find a new thing to complain about. We all should be thankful for atleast an oppurtunity to make it to Chatty and not have to worry on a select few biased opinions.(i.e. BCS committee)

ericsaid
May 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
It would be cool to see it moved every year. It is pretty much home field advantage for every southern team. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time there and the stadium is beautiful, but It would just be fun to see it played somewhere else. I think we could definitely almost fill a bigger NFL or FBS stadium. Oh well, it's not going to change anytime soon anyways.

Funny how there's been a CAA team there for the past four out of five years. App might as well let Wofford take the SoCon championship, and App should be crowned CAA champions after beating UMass and UD for the NC, and then after this years playoffs where three out of four teams they played were from the CAA(JMU. UR, UD)

Anywhere it's moved should be from the mid-atlantic, south.

89Hen
May 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Funny how there's been a CAA team there for the past four out of five years. App might as well let Wofford take the SoCon championship, and App should be crowned CAA champions after beating UMass and UD for the NC, and then after this years playoffs where three out of four teams they played were from the CAA(JMU. UR, UD)
Cool by me, Delaware can have the Gateway title as the Hens are 4-0 vs UNI and SIU since 2003. :p

SideLine Shooter
May 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Cool by me, Delaware can have the Gateway title as the Hens are 4-0 vs UNI and SIU since 2003. :p

That is IMPRESSIVE!!xnodx xthumbsupx