PDA

View Full Version : JaxSt in Perrilloux Sweepstakes

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Think the OVC could finally get that playoff win? Really doubt this kid could make much of a difference. Probably wouldn't make the cut with grades or something along those lines.

LSU's Perrilloux considering JSU
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
MIKE PERRIN and DOUG SEGREST
News staff writers

Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux, whose extraordinary talents on the field at LSU were often overshadowed by off-the-field problems that finally forced his expulsion from the team, could wind up playing in Alabama.

The Birmingham News has learned Jacksonville State head coach Jack Crowe has had contact with the Perrilloux family.

JSU has received a release from LSU to talk to the 21-year-old LaPlace, La., native, who played as a backup to Matt Flynn in the Tigers' 2007 national championship season.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1210061761198420.xml&coll=2

CSUBUCDAD
May 6th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Why would a coach even consider taking on an obvious trouble maker like that regardless of his level of talent?

Hansel
May 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
is Tex St after him?

MplsBison
May 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Why would a coach even consider taking on an obvious trouble maker like that regardless of his level of talent?

Just because he doesn't pray before every meal doesn't mean he's a trouble maker. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
All this guys problems start at home, going to a new school won't help those problems much. He probably should have went to Texas in the first place.

McNeese75
May 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
This definitly sounds like the ole Jack Crowe the SLC is familiar with xlolx

McNeese72
May 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
This definitly sounds like the ole Jack Crowe the SLC is familiar with xlolx

I met Jack Crowe once during the tornado delay of the tornado game we played there. First impression was not very good.

So, I'm not surprised.

Doc

McNeese72
May 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Just because he doesn't pray before every meal doesn't mean he's a trouble maker. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I can tell you don't live anywhere near Louisiana.

You might consider that what has been reported in press might just be the tip of the iceberg ala Cecil Collins. xsmiley_wix

Doc

ButlerGSU
May 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
He could be a great player somewhere and turn his life around or he could be a cancer to a good program...

G'luck!

McNeese72
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
He could be a great player somewhere and turn his life around or he could be a cancer to a good program...

G'luck!

And, if he doesn't turn his life around, he could end up in the same place Cecil Collins did.

Doc

McNeese75
May 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM

G'luck!

Possibly someplace really off the beaten path and out of the limelight xlolx Anybody got any suggestions?

McNeese_beat
May 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm certainly not against the kid re-surfacing and getting a chance to play at some level. If Jacksonville State's the place, then good for him. I do think the punishment, being kicked off a national championship program, is going to be costly for him. I do think it costs him draft position some day. Of course, this all assumes he cleans up his act, which is by far not a given.

My question is how would he fit in at JSU? I think the school that could best afford to try the reclamation project is a school that either is looking at starting a redshirt freshman QB because of attrition or has a walk-on as kind of the "last man standing."

Think of McNeese in 05 when you had walk-on Chris Jones starting and redshirt freshman Mark Fontenot backing up. If Perrilloux was available that year, you'd have to have taken a serious look at him and do a hard cost-benefit analysis...

CSUBUCDAD
May 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM

So I take it character means nothing as long as the kid can play ball right? Take a look at programs that think that way and see how successful they are in the long run. This kid was suspended three times in 1 year for off the field incidents. How many does it take to get your attention if you are the head coach.
BTW, have you taken over John's spot as the token CSU blaster on the board or what?

McTailGator
May 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM

If you knew Jack Crowe, you would know the answer to that...xwhistlex

FCS Go!
May 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Possibly someplace really off the beaten path and out of the limelight xlolx Anybody got any suggestions?

NDSU? ;)

Cocky
May 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm certainly not against the kid re-surfacing and getting a chance to play at some level. If Jacksonville State's the place, then good for him. I do think the punishment, being kicked off a national championship program, is going to be costly for him. I do think it costs him draft position some day. Of course, this all assumes he cleans up his act, which is by far not a given.

My question is how would he fit in at JSU? I think the school that could best afford to try the reclamation project is a school that either is looking at starting a redshirt freshman QB because of attrition or has a walk-on as kind of the "last man standing."

Think of McNeese in 05 when you had walk-on Chris Jones starting and redshirt freshman Mark Fontenot backing up. If Perrilloux was available that year, you'd have to have taken a serious look at him and do a hard cost-benefit analysis...

We will starting a true Freshman at QB if we do not get a transfer. We have zero QBs on scholarship since Cedric was dismissed.

MaximumBobcat
May 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
is Tex St after him?

Nope, we got a returning JR starter Bradley George coming back.

JohnStOnge
May 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Think the OVC could finally get that playoff win? Really doubt this kid could make much of a difference.

I think your own school is an example of the fact that their's a limit to how much of a difference a QB who was once a highly regarded recruit can make. Bomar, like Perrilloux, was the #1 rated QB recruit when he came out of high school. I also think he's similar to Perrilloux in physical attributes like size, arm strength, and athleticism.

But his physical skills were not enough to get Sam Houston to the playoffs last year. They might make it next year, but last year already provides confirmation that having someone with his credentials come in is no guarantee of a post season appearance or, if an appearance is made, a post season win.

And, in my opinion, Bomar had proven himself more as a college quarterback when he left Oklahoma than Perrilloux has at this point. Not that Perrilloux doesn't have great physical attributes. He does. But so does Bomar, and he was the starter at OU for most of a season.

McNeese_beat
May 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
We will starting a true Freshman at QB if we do not get a transfer. We have zero QBs on scholarship since Cedric was dismissed.

Then winner, winner, chicken dinner (no punt intended). You have a possible win-win scenario going for all involved. And if you have to run him off, you'd be in no worse of a situation than you would have been if you never had him.

ericsaid
May 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm happy for him as long as where he ends up isn't in the SoCon.

EKU05
May 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe he wanted to wear a similar helmet to his former team...

MACHIAVELLI
May 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I think your own school is an example of the fact that their's a limit to how much of a difference a QB who was once a highly regarded recruit can make. Bomar, like Perrilloux, was the #1 rated QB recruit when he came out of high school. I also think he's similar to Perrilloux in physical attributes like size, arm strength, and athleticism.

But his physical skills were not enough to get Sam Houston to the playoffs last year. They might make it next year, but last year already provides confirmation that having someone with his credentials come in is no guarantee of a post season appearance or, if an appearance is made, a post season win.

And, in my opinion, Bomar had proven himself more as a college quarterback when he left Oklahoma than Perrilloux has at this point. Not that Perrilloux doesn't have great physical attributes. He does. But so does Bomar, and he was the starter at OU for most of a season.

Good points.xthumbsupx

JaxSinfonian
May 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
their's a limit to how much of a difference a QB who was once a highly regarded recruit can make.

Indeed. I don't care if the guy's the second coming of John Elway; if we don't get a decent offensive line in front of him, we'll still be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

Cedric Johnson had immense talent under center. His skill last season got us some wins we otherwise wouldn't have enjoyed. But we still finished 6-5 with a crushing loss to SEMO. A creative quarterback can save a game, but if he's always having to create, with nothing ever going according to plan, don't count on him bringing you any titles.

Of course, the reason we can't count on Cedric this season is because he was kicked off the team because of repeated run-ins with the law and breaking of team rules. I'm not saying Crowe is a saint, but any FCS coach who isn't willing to hand out second chances is shutting off a potentially vast source of good talent. JSU has taken on tough cases before and been a better team for it, with no ill effects off the field. The affair with Johnson at least shows there is a level of malfeasance Crowe & co. will not tolerate, even if it means leaving the team without an experienced QB.

Johnson's alleged misdeeds seem to rise a step or two above those of Perrilloux, but the LSU kid's issues are enough to give anyone pause. One would hope the guy has some idea of the chance he has blown, and what it means to be able to get another scholarship to play college ball. If he doesn't, he'll wind up like Johnson, without a place on our roster.

We were counting on two incoming freshmen to run the offense. One of them announced not long ago that he was turning down his scholarship here to go to a junior college so he could keep alive his hopes of transferring to an SEC school. Given that, I don't have any real problem with offering an SEC castoff a second chance. Maybe he'll figure out here what he couldn't there. Maybe not. If he does and helps get some Ws, all the better. If he doesn't, we hand the ball back to a kid who, as of now, still doesn't have his high school diploma.

Nice to see all the interest in our program from the McNeese fans ... the only Southland team the Gamecocks never beat. We should schedule a home and home sometime, just for old times' sake.

McNeese75
May 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Nice to see all the interest in our program from the McNeese fans ... the only Southland team the Gamecocks never beat. We should schedule a home and home sometime, just for old times' sake.

xthumbsupx Works for me but please provide a little nicer weather than the last time we were at your place xlolx

McNeeserocket
May 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM

There was a game between our two teams in 1999 that went into overtime in which your team could have won the game had the JSU player not made the mistake of trying to pick up a fumble rather than fall on it. The ball was lost out of bounds and reverted back to McNeese who subsequently scored and won the game. That was a good close game. It could/would/should have gone the other way!

appfan2008
May 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
all the more power to jsu... it is the break or location the kid might need to turn his life around... there is no problem with giving a trouble maker another chance

Killtoppers90
May 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I'm no Spring Chicken but I have a couple of years of eligibility left. Can I play?

I-AA Fan
May 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
If I needed a qb, I would be all over this guy. No scholly offer until fall and see how he does in camp.

jstate83
May 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Jackson State is back in it.
Comegy is trying to set up a vist within the next 2 week's.
I posted the story on the JSU get's SEC Transfer thread.

OH Well...................xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
May 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Jackson State is back in it.
Comegy is trying to set up a vist within the next 2 week's.
I posted the story on the JSU get's SEC Transfer thread.

OH Well...................xsmiley_wix

I guess that's good. He won't be a factor in the subdivision at large because he'll be playing for a team that isn't going to participate in the tournament. I guess if you're from a program that would really rather not take him but at the same time would hate to see him hurt you, him going to the SWAC is one of better scenarios.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I can tell you don't live anywhere near Louisiana.

You might consider that what has been reported in press might just be the tip of the iceberg ala Cecil Collins. xsmiley_wix

Doc

Ala Randy Moss, aussi.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
all the more power to jsu... it is the break or location the kid might need to turn his life around... there is no problem with giving a trouble maker another chance

Problem is, this isn't his second chance, it's about his 10th.
Our own Apps had a small dose of this bitter medicene with Alan Atwater aka the Ganga Kid.
Remember, too, if Perriloux washes out, it affects the NCAA grad rate, Some schools are sitting on the fence in that regard, anyway.

But who knows, the kid may turn out to be St Perilloux before it's over. We shouldn't hold our breath, however.