PDA

View Full Version : More crap being slung for App/Wofford on a Friday

SuperJon
May 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
NCPreps Argument 1 (http://ncpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=946&tid=113770805&mid=113770805&sid=958&style=2) - that one's long.

NCPreps Argument 2 (http://ncpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1111&tid=113909684&mid=113909684&sid=958&style=2) - that one's trying to get the NCACA to not allow App's coaches to speak at some convention.

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 06:48 AM
NCPreps Argument 1 (http://ncpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=946&tid=113770805&mid=113770805&sid=958&style=2) - that one's long.

NCPreps Argument 2 (http://ncpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1111&tid=113909684&mid=113909684&sid=958&style=2) - that one's trying to get the NCACA to not allow App's coaches to speak at some convention.
They had a similar arguement on a Florida Prep website about a Friday night game in Orlando. Some people went as far as to say they would not allow coaches from USF/UCF (the teams playing the Friday game) to visit players. I think that's going too far. One Friday night game isn't going to hurt anyone. It may make some people choose what game they want to see but that's about it.

AppStFan76
May 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I think it's funny how Wofford is never mentioned in any of the discusions about this game. It's my understanding that both App and Wofford agreed to move the game, but App is the school that's being crusified for this.

It's not like there are going to be many people going to a High School Football game on Halloween Night. Most parents will be taking their kids Trick-or-Treating, or going to parties.

It would seem to me to be better for all of the High Schools to move the game to Thursday or even Saturday to cut down on the chaos that we be going on Halloween Night

appfan2008
May 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think it's funny how Wofford is never mentioned in any of the discusions about this game. It's my understanding that both App and Wofford agreed to move the game, but App is the school that's being crusified for this.

It's not like there are going to be many people going to a High School Football game on Halloween Night. Most parents will be taking their kids Trick-or-Treating, or going to parties.

It would seem to me to be better for all of the High Schools to move the game to Thursday or even Saturday to cut down on the chaos that we be going on Halloween Night

if all the high schools moved their games to saturday then shouldnt we go crazy back at them for invading our colleges only saturday tradition??????

Tealblood
May 6th, 2008, 07:50 AM
the cfiticism is coming from IMO from some anti-App people no one with a known bias but this kind of stuff always comes from back door channels

WileECoyote06
May 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM
the cfiticism is coming from IMO from some anti-App people no one with a known bias but this kind of stuff always comes from back door channels

It isn't only about App. . .remember East Carolina had a big issue with this a few years ago. High school coaches in the eastern part of the state began advising recruits not to consider them.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/preps/stevens/2002/story/185327.html

ASUTed
May 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
If a high school coach will take the best interest of a student athlete out of the equation to get some revenge may be the most selfish thing I have ever heard of. They have no right to own friday nights. If a kid does not want to come here because we took a few thousand fans away from one of his high school games then don't come. I seriously doubt that any respected coach would not let Jerry Moore recruit their player no matter what the circumstances. These kids would be lucky to be recruited by App, not the other way around.

lizrdgizrd
May 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I would do my best to reschedule my HS game for Thursday night rather than play on Halloween so that those who will be partying on Friday can attend the game on Thursday. xpeacex

stevdock
May 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Just curious for HS playoffs. Here in ND the HS regular season games are played on Friday (mostly), and the playoffs are played on Saturday's. Is that the case in NC? If it is what is the big deal. During the playoffs there are always HS games and College games competing for the same crowd. Last year we had one of our worst attended crowds because Fargo and West Fargo's football teams were in the playoffs and on the road playing at the same time as NDSU playing at home. For the App/Wofford game it just happens to be during the regular season for both HS and College.

thmst30
May 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Just curious for HS playoffs. Here in ND the HS regular season games are played on Friday (mostly), and the playoffs are played on Saturday's. Is that the case in NC? If it is what is the big deal. During the playoffs there are always HS games and College games competing for the same crowd. Last year we had one of our worst attended crowds because Fargo and West Fargo's football teams were in the playoffs and on the road playing at the same time as NDSU playing at home. For the App/Wofford game it just happens to be during the regular season for both HS and College.The state titles in NC are held on Saturday.

gophoenix
May 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Wofford may be getting some criticism too, but just not as vocal and especially since it isn't in their state.

I think the criticism comes from high schools upset at App for encroaching on what they perceive it their ground. It's a pissing match more than anything. Since they all get state funding, the louder they are, the more they think someone in Raleigh might try to force App's hand.

But haven't USF, UCF, ECU and other Sun Belt and CUSA schools caught a lot of flack from high schools all over the country because of this?

neersnbeers
May 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wofford may be getting some criticism too, but just not as vocal and especially since it isn't in their state.

I think the criticism comes from high schools upset at App for encroaching on what they perceive it their ground. It's a pissing match more than anything. Since they all get state funding, the louder they are, the more they think someone in Raleigh might try to force App's hand.

But haven't USF, UCF, ECU and other Sun Belt and CUSA schools caught a lot of flack from high schools all over the country because of this?
The funny thing is that USF played WVU last year on a Friday and there wasn't much uproar. In fact they set an attendance record that night. I don't there were high school games all over town (Hillsborough County teams don't play any regular season games against out of county teams), as a matter of fact there was a game played not too far from Ray J that drew well.

This year however the Orlando area fans are were upset that the USF/UCF game was scheduled for a Friday. I think it has since been moved to Saturday.

clpboyzzz
May 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Won't this bring more money to the area with it being a night game instead of Saturday afternoon game. People eating dinner before the game, more people are going to stay in hotels etc..... ASU just needs to cut WHS a check
WHS lost their star running back who is actually playing for Wofford. WHS isn't going to be good at all next year, so by the time this game rolls around half the bandwagon will have already jumped off.

Jerbearasu
May 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
If a high school coach will take the best interest of a student athlete out of the equation to get some revenge may be the most selfish thing I have ever heard of. They have no right to own friday nights. If a kid does not want to come here because we took a few thousand fans away from one of his high school games then don't come. I seriously doubt that any respected coach would not let Jerry Moore recruit their player no matter what the circumstances. These kids would be lucky to be recruited by App, not the other way around.

I don't think he would tell a kid it would be a bad idea for him to go to App. But I do believe that a coach could help persuade a kid to go to somewhere else. I know when I was in high school, I had a good friend that was getting recruited for B-ball from really small D1 schools and he was asking the advice of the coach to see where it may be best or if he should try to walk on to a program. If the coach has a grudge against a school or coaching staff he could influence that potential recruits thoughts on the school...

eaglesrthe1
May 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
ASU could be stuck in a bad position here. If the HSA is organized enough, then this decision could hurt recruiting in NC down the road. OTOH, turning their back on ESPN after agreeing to reschedule could lead to being blabkballed by ESPN.

Plus, the bad publicity can't be good either.

Jerbearasu
May 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Won't this bring more money to the area with it being a night game instead of Saturday afternoon game. People eating dinner before the game, more people are going to stay in hotels etc..... ASU just needs to cut WHS a check
WHS lost their star running back who is actually playing for Wofford. WHS isn't going to be good at all next year, so by the time this game rolls around half the bandwagon will have already jumped off.

It will bring more money to Watauga county but once again the issue isn't just about WHS games. I said this in the other thread but I went to high school in Charlotte and I still go to my high school games on Friday night and then head up to Boone on Saturday to watch App play. So this effects more than just Watauga High School.

I also don't think this one game is a big deal but I can see there being a concern that this becomes the norm. What if one year each of the major schools in North Carolina (ie UNC, NC State, Wake, ECU, App, etc) had Fri night games all on different weeks. Yeah each school would only have one but all of that would add up and really hurt high school athletics. Football is the bread maker for 99% of high schools so if it isn't making money then there isn't funding for new soccer uniforms or baseball bats. It could eventually force high schools to shut down certain athletic programs which would be very bad. I just think the idea is to cause a big fuss now to squash college AD's thoughts on having future Fri night games.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
It's all silly. Let whoever ESPN wants to cover play when they want to cover them. Go to your local HS game if you care about that, go to your favorite college game if you care about that. In most cases, people who love football GO to games, they don't just sit at home and miss a HS game if they have a son playing on Friday night.

I guess I just don't get it. So what...???

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Personally, as one who is out of state but interested in FCS Football, I would even love for FCS to have a Friday night game, rotating around the country every week. It would be great publicity and we could all be more informed about FCS football, from the fans to the media - and lord knows the media has very little clue about FCS football.

gophoenix
May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Well, selfish as it may be. But imagine the uproar in college football if the NFL started playing on Saturday so they could pick up more fans which would possibly hurt attendance for some of us.

I think Jerbearasu is right. This sets a precedent. If we all started doing this, it could really start hurting some of the high school numbers. Imagine if A&T, Central and WSSU started playing some Fridays too.

I think the high school guys look at it as... they support you and they want you to show support for them in return. Taking their night can take their support and revenue. Not only does it leave them feeling neglected, but they could lose some numbers from it too.

I don't know if I personally think it is a big deal or not and maybe they think you should set an example for the rest of the area schools.

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Personally, as one who is out of state but interested in FCS Football, I would even love for FCS to have a Friday night game, rotating around the country every week. It would be great publicity and we could all be more informed about FCS football, from the fans to the media - and lord knows the media has very little clue about FCS football.

You are a wise Man!! Thanks for a great idea.xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xcoolx

stevdock
May 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM

I am all for that. Maybe if ESPN gets a huge number on this Friday night game, it may be an option in the future.

ericsaid
May 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
too bad it seems that no one on that thread on rivals knows that the game was moved to thursday.

Saint3333
May 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
ASU could be stuck in a bad position here. If the HSA is organized enough, then this decision could hurt recruiting in NC down the road. OTOH, turning their back on ESPN after agreeing to reschedule could lead to being blabkballed by ESPN.

Plus, the bad publicity can't be good either.

A nationally televised game can only help recruiting. HS kids care about being on TV.

BeauFoster
May 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Well, selfish as it may be. But imagine the uproar in college football if the NFL started playing on Saturday so they could pick up more fans which would possibly hurt attendance for some of us.

I think Jerbearasu is right. This sets a precedent. If we all started doing this, it could really start hurting some of the high school numbers. Imagine if A&T, Central and WSSU started playing some Fridays too.

I think the high school guys look at it as... they support you and they want you to show support for them in return. Taking their night can take their support and revenue. Not only does it leave them feeling neglected, but they could lose some numbers from it too.

I don't know if I personally think it is a big deal or not and maybe they think you should set an example for the rest of the area schools.

The only uproar you would hear would be from folks like us...the schools who could really be affected by the NFL playing on a Saturday. And even then, we wouldn't see a huge hit in attendance (at least ASU, anyway - cause that's who I really know about). An NFL game between the Bears and Cardinals won't pull an ASU fan away from an ASU game. Heck, a Panthers game wouldn't have much effect. A big game, like last year's Pats-Cowboys game would probably have a small (3-5% nationwide, tops) affect on attendance.

The NFL won't put games head to head with college for money reasons. They need to be top dog in the media market, which they are on Sundays. Competing against college games pulls way too many people from potential TV/in person viewership. The NFL brass knows this. Football, at all levels (save DIII maybe) is all about money.

Appstate29
May 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
anybody who thinks days are reserved for a particular level of football is a communist who hates competition. And unamerican.

walliver
May 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Most high school fans will watch their team regardless of what colleges or the NFL does. There will be negligible effect on high school attendance from this game.

A "big game" like Georgia-Florida, Michigan-Ohio State might have some impact, but not much.

Most of the complainers are probably just mad that this game may bump a high school game off ESPN2 down to "The Ocho".

terrierbob
May 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Meanwhile, food rioters in Somalia are taking a break to watch "Friday Night Lights".

SideLine Shooter
May 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
anybody who thinks days are reserved for a particular level of football is a communist who hates competition. And unamerican.

I'll drink to that !!xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xnodx xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Wow! Fans from Furman and JMU agreeing with a post from an App St. fan!

...must have something to do with our good southern upbringing (cue for Citidog comment)

Longrifle
May 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Would you be in favor of Elon participating in a friday night game if they were to be nationally televised by ESPN2?

gophoenix
May 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Would you be in favor of Elon participating in a friday night game if they were to be nationally televised by ESPN2?

I don't care either way'and personally don't care what high school coaches think. :D

I am just being devil's advocate in this one.

neersnbeers
May 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
This is still going on???

Jerbearasu
May 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
This is still going on???

The uproar seems to be gaining steam...:(

SoCon48
May 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Then by October, it should have run its course. Then we can begin working on winning the doggone game.xthumbsupx
We need to gain revenge on the Terrierists by at least the same margin we lost by last season.xrulesx

SoCon48
May 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Then by October, it should have run its course. Then we can begin working on winning the dog gone game vs the Terrierists by at least the margin we lost to them last season..

AppMan
May 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Wonder how many of the players and their parents are going along with this idiot coach's call to ban ASU's staff from the schools? I would ask if he is going to pick up the cost of the scholarship one of these kids may have received to ASU.

gophoenix
May 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Wonder how many of the players and their parents are going along with this idiot coach's call to ban ASU's staff from the schools? I would ask if he is going to pick up the cost of the scholarship one of these kids may have received to ASU.

You can't quite play if out like that. Players have choices and chances are if App wants a player, other schools are giving the kid scholarship offers too. That is why it could play out dangerously if more coaches agree with it.

But like I said, I think it is a pissing match.

SoCon48
May 8th, 2008, 05:24 AM
You can't quite play if out like that. Players have choices and chances are if App wants a player, other schools are giving the kid scholarship offers too. That is why it could play out dangerously if more coaches agree with it.

But like I said, I think it is a pissing match.

One can only imagine what ECU went through when they broke the ground in this type scenario years ago. It took Skip Holtz a couple of seasons to mend the fences in eastern NC after he took the reins. Some of those fences are still in need of repair.

ericsaid
May 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM
good job.

gophoenix
May 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
One can only imagine what ECU went through when they broke the ground in this type scenario years ago. It took Skip Holtz a couple of seasons to mend the fences in eastern NC after he took the reins. Some of those fences are still in need of repair.

Seriously?

catdaddy2402
May 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Seriously?
He's quite serious.

Go to any ECU message board and ask them about the fallout. Hard to recruit a player when a High School coach wont let you in the door.

SoCon48
May 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
He's quite serious.

Go to any ECU message board and ask them about the fallout. Hard to recruit a player when a High School coach wont let you in the door.

Exactly, and the kid's parents usually put a lot of stock in the hs coach's recommendation of schools.

ronpayne
May 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I can see how if the coach won't let you in the door it could hurt. But ASU also has national publicity on their side, not to mention 3 back-to-back titles. I think in THIS pissing contest, ASU wins regardless.

Its a shame that any person, coach or whatever would deny a student a chance at a scholarship just because he's pissed over one game on a friday night.... case in point: I recruited heavily one of my students to goto AppState to major in music. However, he got a full ride at WCU! Now, I love my alma mater, but I would be neglecting my duties as a teacher and mentor if I advised him (even if unsuccessfully) to not accept the full ride, especially when I know money is an issue..... our job is to give kids the chance to be successful first, not just win games or play concerts.

Either way, it will be a good game! I'm looking forward to that rematch :)

eaglesrthe1
May 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I can see how if the coach won't let you in the door it could hurt. But ASU also has national publicity on their side, not to mention 3 back-to-back titles. I think in THIS pissing contest, ASU wins regardless.

Its a shame that any person, coach or whatever would deny a student a chance at a scholarship just because he's pissed over one game on a friday night.... case in point: I recruited heavily one of my students to goto AppState to major in music. However, he got a full ride at WCU! Now, I love my alma mater, but I would be neglecting my duties as a teacher and mentor if I advised him (even if unsuccessfully) to not accept the full ride, especially when I know money is an issue..... our job is to give kids the chance to be successful first, not just win games or play concerts.

Either way, it will be a good game! I'm looking forward to that rematch :)

That's not how it would shake out. Suppose said music student was offered by ASU and WCU. Well coach could in good conscience steer the student to WCU.

Just about any player that ASU wants to offer a scolly to will also be recruited by other (and in many cases IA) schools. It wouldn't be any disservice (in the coaches mind) to talk up the other schools. Unless the student was clearly offered a better deal from ASU, he can in good conscience lead the student elsewhere.

AppStFan76
May 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My consern is that attendance will be down for all High School Football stadiums that night. And not because of App and WC playing on ESPN2, but because it's Halloween!

The sad thing is that you will see a lot a people pointing the finger at App for lowering attendance at High Schools, posibly not only in North Carolina, but through-out the region.

turfdoc
May 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I personally believed that when ESPN started televising college football on Friday night and the universities went with it was a sad day for college football and high school football.

High School football cannot compete with college football for attendance etc.... The agreement is that universities recognize the importance of the local communities and the function that high school football plays in creating small town communities throughout America.

High school games across the state will suffer as people will stay home and watch the App State game.

Anyone ever think the high school coach is just making a political ploy to be the featured high school game of the week on ESPN. They started featuring a high school game on the Friday night to appease the high schools and raise awareness of the quality of competition right in peoples own back yard.

Universities should leave Friday nights alone IMO. That being said APP State can use this as a way of promoting the great high school football that is played in NC and everybody should be happy.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
The agreement is that universities recognize the importance of the local communities and the function that high school football plays in creating small town communities throughout America.

Very wise and insightful statment, turfdoc.