PDA

View Full Version : Towson U Spring Game Saturday 3 May

etiger
May 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
The Towson U Football Spring Game is Saturday 3 May at
12:00 noon. Festivities start at 11:00am with a Pig Roast that runs
until 4:00pm down on the field. All come and have a grat time!:)

furman94
May 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
At least you have one!

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
At least you have one!

FU didn't have a spring game?

furman94
May 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
No, we never do... we have a series of crappy "Spring Scrimmages" but no Purple-White SPRING GAME! WTF is up with that?!

PapaBear
May 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
No, we never do... we have a series of crappy "Spring Scrimmages" but no Purple-White SPRING GAME! WTF is up with that?!

Maine does the same thing. It is kind of frustrating -- not just to parents and fans, but to the players, themselves. The "spring game" is really just another practice. Often the team will go some series with just seven-on-seven.

I don't think it gives spectators a true sense of what the team or any individual players can do.

In Maine's defense, they don't call it a "game." They call it the "Jeff Cole Scrimmage," after a beloved coach who a few years ago lost a battle with cancer. But, still, I know for a fact that the players wish it were a more competitive event rather than the same type of controlled live action they do during other practices.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Even with the raw, wet and generally crappy weather yesterday in Durham, it was still a blast to have a little Spring Practice on the tailgating scene with good friends. Note to self, next time the weather is that wet and cold, bring the charcoal into the hotel room! Even the Match Lite stuff in a sealed plastic bag didn't fire up like normal after the night in the trunk. xoopsx The new Cobb grill showed a lot of promise though!

And besides the opportunity to watch some football under game conditions with zebras and everything, it was a day for the families to gather. They had a "cook out" after the game where players, family and fans (for a minimal fee) could gather. I quoted "cook out" because everybody gathered in the Field House, but they did cook outside under an awning. :D Real Spring like day, mid 40's with off and on rain! xrolleyesx xoopsx xsmhx xsmhx

Coach gave out a few awards from Spring Practice which the players seemed to enjoy especially since many rewarded hard work and improvement. All in all a fun day, but just a little sad thinking that it will be four months until the first regular season game. xbawlingx :D

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I don't know that anyone in FCS does a true spring game anymore. Offense against defense, with contolled situations is the norm. Coaches want the first units to go against each other, rather than splitting the talent between two teams.

I remember my freshman year at W&M, we played an alumni team of recent graduates. Those were the days.

andy7171
May 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I don't know that anyone in FCS does a true spring game anymore. Offense against defense, with contolled situations is the norm. Coaches want the first units to go against each other, rather than splitting the talent between two teams.

I remember my freshman year at W&M, we played an alumni team of recent graduates. Those were the days.

Towson splits the team in a draft system 2 practices before the actual game. The 1st QB and 2nd RB draft against the 2nd QB and 1st RB.

EDIT: Check that I just read the Blacka nd GOld game review. It was offense vs defense this year.