PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga: D-I Title Game Set Till 2009

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=chattanooga-d-i-title-game-set-till-2009&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The NCAA Division I Football Championship likely will be decided at Chattanooga’s Finley Stadium through the 2009 season.

Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee president Merrill Eckstein said Thursday that terms to an extension have been agreed upon and are awaiting approval of the NCAA championship cabinet, which will meet again in July. Eckstein called the approval “a mere formality.”

If the deal is approved, the committee announced the next two championship games would be scheduled for Dec. 19, 2008, and Dec. 18, 2009. Both are Fridays.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

danefan
May 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Is it normal to only extend it for two years? Is that the traditional time frame?

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Although the atmosphere may be good, the FCS Championship game has outgrown that 23,000 seat, small town venue.xcoffeex

Dane96
May 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
And this...we can finally find some common ground on, 83!

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
I'll post it again:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/UNLVSamBoydStadium.jpg

UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium (cap. 45k)

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Is it normal to only extend it for two years? Is that the traditional time frame?

I would guess that it's related to playoff expansion coming in 2010, and without knowing how the schedule will work, they didn't want to assign the date in contract until that was sorted out.

Or, you could ask chattanoogamocs, who knows just about everything regarding Chatty and the Championship

Although the atmosphere may be good, the FCS Championship game has outgrown that 23,000 seat, small town venue.xcoffeex

I wish. Until I see a big old sell-out without Appalachian State in the title game (and that day will come), I'm not yet convinced that it'll be bursting at the seams every year, necessitating a new location xtwocentsx

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Keeping the game in a "warm weather" in December region, this is my 1st pick for a neutral FCS Championship site.

Mobile, Alabama
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/alabama/mobile_ladd_peebles.jpg

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
2nd Choice Vanderbult Stadium

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_vanderbilt1.jpg

Not a big increase, but a stadium that will allow the game to grow and not be
swallowed up by a huge stadium that seat's 60,000 plus or more.
FCS need to maximize the spotlight this game has gotten in the last few year's and promote it
as a event.
A lot of event's can be scheduled in Nashville for 3 day's.

Memphis got behind Tenn. St and JSU to the point that the SHC draw twice as many
people for the event as they do for the game.
We routinely get over 50,000 for the SHC now that a city like Memphis is backing it.
It's all about promoting the event for the HARD CORE FAN and the casual fan that tag's along
just for the road trip to party, shop, whatever.

OL FU
May 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I wish. Until I see a big old sell-out without Appalachian State in the title game (and that day will come), I'm not yet convinced that it'll be bursting at the seams every year, necessitating a new location xtwocentsx

I agree. I also wander what the size of the crowd of last years game would have been if you move the game to a place that was not within reasonable driving distance of ASU. May have still been the same or better but I think it would make a difference.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Keeping the game in a "warm wether" in December region, this is my 1st pick for a neutral FCS Championship site.

Mobile, Alabama
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/alabama/mobile_ladd_peebles.jpg

Yeah...becuase who doesn't want to go to Mobile! Where you can....do...nothing.

Not to mention the stadium is smack dab in the middle of a world class ghetto.

Vanderbilt would be a good one, though. Nashville looks fun.

brownbear
May 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
2nd Choice Vanderbult Stadium

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_vanderbilt1.jpg

Not a big increase, but a stadium that will allow the game to grow and not be
swallowed up by a huge stadium that seat's 60,000 plus or more.
FCS need to maximize the spotlight this game has gotten in the last few year's and promote it
as a event.
A lot of event's can be scheduled in Nashville for 3 day's.

Memphis got behind Tenn. St and JSU to the point that the SHC draw twice as many
people for the event as they do for the game.
We routinely get over 50,000 for the SHC now that a city like Memphis is backing it.
It's all about promoting the event for the HARD CORE FAN and the casual fan that tag's along
just for the road trip to party, shop, whatever.

Keeping with the Tennessee theme, you could also play it at MTSU's stadium (31,788), though there isn't much to do in Murfreesboro.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/murfreesboro_floyd1.jpg

Ronbo
May 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
They need to go to at least a 35,000 seat stadium.

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah...becuase who doesn't want to go to Mobile! Where you can....do...nothing.

Not to mention the stadium is smack dab in the middle of a world class ghetto.

Vanderbilt would be a good one, though. Nashville looks fun.

All you had to say was you don't like Mobile.
They have many games down there from JSU, Bamma St., SU, to the Senior Bowl and the Mississippi/Alabama All-Star Football Clash and nobody has gotten hurt, robbed, killed, or rubbed up against the black's in that WORLD CLASS GHETTO. xsmhx

Why do I even try.
Oh well. xlolx

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Keeping with the Tennessee theme, you could also play it at MTSU's stadium (31,788), though there isn't much to do in Murfreesboro.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/murfreesboro_floyd1.jpg

Yep.
A 10 to 15 thousand seat increase would be just right.

james_lawfirm
May 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

Maybe, but maybe not. What if next years game was Wofford College vs. The Citadel? or Richmond or _______________ small school that does not travel very well?? If you put 5,300 fans in a 40,000 seat stadium, it will appear completely empty on ESPN. Plus, Chattanooga has a lot going for it.

I vote to keep it there. There are certain advantages to having the game at UNLV, none of which have anything whatsoever to do with football. xlolx xlolx

OL FU
May 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe, but maybe not. What if next years game was Wofford College vs. The Citadel? or Richmond or _______________ small school that does not travel very well?? If you put 5,300 fans in a 40,000 seat stadium, it will appear completely empty on ESPN. Plus, Chattanooga has a lot going for it.

I vote to keep it there. There are certain advantages to having the game at UNLV, none of which have anything whatsoever to do with football. xlolx xlolx

I remember a 1985 and a 1988 game played in Washington and Idaho between two teams from neighboring southern states and it looked like there may have been 1500 at each game:o xrolleyesx

Eaglesrus
May 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM

I think that The Citadel would actually bring a pretty good crowd. Now, if you had said something like Wofford and Elon......

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM

It would take some careful planning not to mess up what's established.
But this game will one day need to be moved to a slightly larger venue and city that has the "draw" to pull people in.

If I was a sponser, I would cater specifically to FCS CONFERENCES with something planned that involves all of them in those 3 day's.

One thing that I know would work would be a GOLF Tournament with FCS NFL/NBA/MLB star's and their buddies.

The SHC in Memphis do this.
You can go out and draw a foursome tee time with someone like Lem Barney, Jackie Slater, Richard Dent, and other former/current Pro's from both school's.

If it's set up and done right, it could be a "yearly destination" for FCS fan's.
Just like the SHC in Memphis, when it's over, all you got to do is reserve your room's for next year and even if your team don't make it, you will still have a blast. xnodx

BisBison
May 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'll post it again:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/UNLVSamBoydStadium.jpg

UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium (cap. 45k)

Gotta go with Mpls on this one. Cheap non-stop flights from just about anywhere. Lots of hotel space and a great stadium, what do you want? Except maybe a Saturday kickoff?

89Hen
May 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Only if AppSt is in the final.

james_lawfirm
May 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM

I was trying to avoid saying that. I'm glad a non-App said it first. But, now that you said it, I totally agree. Let the howling begin. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
BTW, I was a person who thought Chatty wasn't the place for our NC game, then I went last year. Keep in mind that my team lost, so it's not like I have fond memories of the game itself, but I will tell all of you... if you haven't been to the NC game in Chatty, you have little standing with me on commenting on it. I was in your shoes until last year. Chatty is a FANTASTIC place for our game in every regard. xnodx

89Hen
May 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I was trying to avoid saying that. I'm glad a non-App said it first. But, now that you said it, I totally agree. Let the howling begin. xthumbsupx
You guys single handedly made the stadium almost too small*. Even if GSU play FU in the finals, it would probably be OK. If Montana plays UMass, it would be too big.

* I say almost, because there is something to be said for creating such a buzz around the game and getting tickets. It was the ticket to be had. That can be a good thing. xthumbsupx

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
BTW, I was a person who thought Chatty wasn't the place for our NC game, then I went last year. Keep in mind that my team lost, so it's not like I have fond memories of the game itself, but I will tell all of you... if you haven't been to the NC game in Chatty, you have little standing with me on commenting on it. I was in your shoes until last year. Chatty is a FANTASTIC place for our game in every regard. xnodx

Easy dude. xlolx

I was just making convo about the game and where it could go.
I'm not out for your's or anyone else's approval cause I'm not the one in charge of anything concerning that game.xlolx
Just bouncing ideas around on a chatboard. xthumbsupx

BTW:
I been to Chatty.
It's cool but.......................xcoffeex xchinscratchx xwhistlex

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Chatty is a FANTASTIC place for our game in every regard. xnodx

Except that there's nothing to do there and therefore zero incentive for non hardcore fans to make the expensive trip out there.

If it's somewhere cheap to get to and has lots of stuff to do, many more will come.

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM

Did you not go in '03? xeyebrowx

Dane96
May 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
UCF's new stadium would be nice. Easy to get to...it is Orlando (plenty to do)...and not that expensive.

Are we ready for 45k? Heck no. Could it be ugly if the aforementioned teams don't make it. Hell yeah.

However, to build this brand, something we CAN DO because they just voted down the 4+1 deal for the BCS, I think we have to start thinking for the future. Making it a standard event. Shooting for the stars.

Heck, lacrosse has done this VERY WELL...with less schools. Yeah, it may look ugly for a few years (15k in a 45k stadium)...but a place like Orlando (to me it is a better family venue than Vegas if you want to get kids involved...easy for mom and dad to go) is perfect!

If we can get 30k a year in 5 years...that would be fantastic. Personally, I think the NCAA should do what they do for LAX. Put the DIII and DI championships in the same place. Heck, you want to go nuts...do DI, DII, and DIII playoffs over a Thurs, Fri, and Saturday.

You would instantly get more people in one place and while tradition is impt. to where they play the games now, MONEY TALKS. It is how lax built up the super weekend the do.

You get two of three...or superstar out with three of three...title games in one stadium and you are looking real good attendance wise. Some will argue the grass will get f'd up, however, sod can be fixed and added as another expense. I am telling you...do this and in 10 years...you are getting close to 35-45k per year.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Bright_House_Stadium_opnening_rainbow.jpg/800px-Bright_House_Stadium_opnening_rainbow.jpg

SideLine Shooter
May 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM

True, True, and True!!!!!xnodx xdizzyx

appsfan
May 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Congrats to Chattanooga on the extension. xthumbsupx I've gone to the last two NC games and they have done a great job as a host. While there isn't as much to there as a larger city, I didn't have much extra time on my hands when considering the tailgating. ;) In time, I can see the need to go to a larger stadium, but before we do, let's make sure it is needed.

jstate83
May 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
So out of all the teams that go to the playoff's, ya'll telling me APPY is the only team that will put 20,000 butt's in a seat for game.
A Championship game? xconfusedx

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
UCF's new stadium would be nice. Easy to get to...it is Orlando (plenty to do)...and not that expensive.

Are we ready for 45k? Heck no. Could it be ugly if the aforementioned teams don't make it. Hell yeah.

However, to build this brand, something we CAN DO because they just voted down the 4+1 deal for the BCS, I think we have to start thinking for the future. Making it a standard event. Shooting for the stars.

Heck, lacrosse has done this VERY WELL...with less schools. Yeah, it may look ugly for a few years (15k in a 45k stadium)...but a place like Orlando (to me it is a better family venue than Vegas if you want to get kids involved...easy for mom and dad to go) is perfect!

If we can get 30k a year in 5 years...that would be fantastic. Personally, I think the NCAA should do what they do for LAX. Put the DIII and DI championships in the same place. Heck, you want to go nuts...do DI, DII, and DIII playoffs over a Thurs, Fri, and Saturday.

You would instantly get more people in one place and while tradition is impt. to where they play the games now, MONEY TALKS. It is how lax built up the super weekend the do.

You get two of three...or superstar out with three of three...title games in one stadium and you are looking real good attendance wise. Some will argue the grass will get f'd up, however, sod can be fixed and added as another expense. I am telling you...do this and in 10 years...you are getting close to 35-45k per year.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Bright_House_Stadium_opnening_rainbow.jpg/800px-Bright_House_Stadium_opnening_rainbow.jpg

Having the DIII, DII and DI playoffs on the same weekend at the same facility is a great idea!

Seriously.

And I agree that it could be a big draw.

The only thing I would have to add is that for that much traffic in one weekend it will have to be an artificial turf facility.

Franks Tanks
May 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Having the DIII, DII and DI playoffs on the same weekend at the same facility is a great idea!

Seriously.

And I agree that it could be a big draw.

The only thing I would have to add is that for that much traffic in one weekend it will have to be an artificial turf facility.

I agree this is a good idea with one cavet. Perhaps being linked too closely with the D-II and D-III games can lump us in with those divisions too closely. We are D-I dammit and should act like it (even if the stadium isnt totally filled)

Dane96
May 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
This....is what building a brand can do. 48,443. This actually BEAT MARCH MADNESS' TITLE GAME...by 5,000 people. This was the attendance figure for last year's NATIONAL TITLE LAX GAME!

In 2006, "the game outdrew the Division I men's basketball national final, which attracted 43,168 fans at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. It also capped a record-setting weekend of attendance for the championships, which included 49,562 fans at the Division I semifinals on Saturday and 23,990 at the Division II and the Division III championships on Sunday."

In, 2003, the attendance was 37,800 for Semi-Final Weekend. It has grown by 11,000 plus fans in the last 5 years, and 18,500 fans in 14 years. The 11,000 fan increase has been since they moved from old Byrd Stadium (35k or so prior to renovations) and Rutgers (well below 35k prior to renovations) to NFL Stadiums (Lincoln Financial and M&T Bank).

This year, the game will be in Gillette. Yes, it is summer time, however that is a travel weekend. Additionally, the increase is because of the family atmosphere and growth plans of lax. FCS has a unique place...they can do the same.

Put this football thing in Orlando...around that time of year when FAMILIES ARE TRAVELLING...work something out with DISNEY to get promotions with families as "something else to take your mind off the craziness of Disney"...and BAM...you have a monster event.

It 'aint rocket science.

Dane96
May 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I agree this is a good idea with one cavet. Perhaps being linked too closely with the D-II and D-III games can lump us in with those divisions too closely. We are D-I dammit and should act like it (even if the stadium isnt totally filled)

Agreed Frank. However, it has worked for Lax. Honestly, who looks at DI lax and says, "Shyte, Salisbury is playing Cortland and JHU is playing Virginia...and Limestone is playing NY TECH...so this DI thing of JHU vs. VIRGINIA must be bubkus."

Answer-- NO ONE. You get three days of MONSTER EVENTS...and GAMES. I swear if you have ever been to this LAX thing...it is a MONSTER FUN PARTY.

Look, we already suffer because we are not FBS. But think about all the other people out their who would appreciate this "family event." IT WOULD BE HUGE. Heck, it could teach kids that it isnt about the chest bumps and big-time...but this is real life...most of these kids go get real jobs.

You lump it in with DISNEY...and man-oh-man...it would be a dream. You could even work with Disney Sports and have "clinics" etc.

As for the turf, I actually agree with you BISON...for one...however, they can fix that thing quick. They do it in N. and Central FLA all the time for the high school title games--- ALL ON GRASS. You just need a good grounds crew.

FargoBison
May 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
I like the Nashville idea, central location, things to do, adequate facility, and it is easy to get to. Throw in a Saturday kickoff and I'm sold.

jmuroller
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I want NOTHING TO DO WITH D2 AND D3! We are already looked down on, I can only imagine what people would say if we were grouped with the D2 and D3 games.

If the game was in Vegas you would have 15k TOPS. Keep it in Chatty...they do a great job hosting it and more importantly...they WANT to have it. Who else has put a bid in for it? You think the Las Vegas tourism board is saying "Guys, we really need to get the 1AA Championship game here!" They probably get more out of town traffic from shows like SEMA and other big conferences.

FargoBison
May 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
I want NOTHING TO DO WITH D2 AND D3! We are already looked down on, I can only imagine what people would say if we were grouped with the D2 and D3 games.

If the game was in Vegas you would have 15k TOPS. Keep it in Chatty...they do a great job hosting it and more importantly...they WANT to have it. Who else has put a bid in for it? You think the Las Vegas tourism board is saying "Guys, we really need to get the 1AA Championship game here!" They probably get more out of town traffic from shows like SEMA and other big conferences.

I'm with on the DII and DIII thoughts, in fact I hope the game gets moved to after Christmas in 2010 so it doesn't even have to share the same weekend with those lower divisional games.

Dane96
May 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
You have the rights to your opinion, however, from a marketing standpoint...and seats filled...and more exposure...the LAX GAME is the replica we should be following.

That being said, I am cool with Nashville...I would think that could be great.

furman94
May 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM

Hey now! I dont remember the numbers, but FU traveled well in the 2001 Championship! Our fans seem to come out of the woodwork when we start winning...

gophoenix
May 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I think that The Citadel would actually bring a pretty good crowd. Now, if you had said something like Wofford and Elon......

xrolleyesx

Crowds have nothing to do with how good a program is. Elon and Wofford are nowhere near the best in attendance and are in the top half of I-AA teams. Why do some of you people insist on singling them out?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
xrolleyesx

Crowds have nothing to do with how good a program is. Elon and Wofford are nowhere near the best in attendance and are in the top half of I-AA teams. Why do some of you people insist on singling them out?

gophoenix, I don't think you were paying attention because you are saying exactly what he is saying. The discussion has turned into crowd size at the National Championship game if Elon and Wofford were there. Not a discussion of if they are good enough to get there.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I've been to Chattanooga 3 times. It gets better every time I go. Those that talk about changing the location to have more things to do are just talking out their asses and haven't been there because when you are there you will realize that you didn't have the experience to make the judgment. This is not directed at my Jstate friend or those that are merely making good suggestions as to where else it could be held. It is directed at the dolts that are named MplsBison.

wkuhillhound
May 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Back in 2002 I went to Chattanooga and I had a great time. I wouldn't mind having moved to Nashville either. That is an even shorter drive for me. xthumbsupx :D :) xnodx xwhistlex

Eaglesrus
May 4th, 2008, 03:25 AM

xrolleyesx

xrolleyesx is right. What are you talking about? My comment has nothing to do with how good your program is, it's about the size of your fan base, which you admit is "nowhere near the best". The point, at the time, was whether the stadium in Chattanooga is large enough for the championship game.

Eaglesrus
May 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM
gophoenix, I don't think you were paying attention because you are saying exactly what he is saying. The discussion has turned into crowd size at the National Championship game if Elon and Wofford were there. Not a discussion of if they are good enough to get there.

Oh, thanks for the clarification UAH, I didn't see this until after my last post.

Purple Pride
May 4th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Adding the DII & DIII championships to the event would only boost attendance by about 3,000 fans. xrolleyesx

SideLine Shooter
May 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
xrolleyesx

I agree that Elon is in the top half of the FCS. But, they are a lot of bad teams in the top half too. The drop off in quality teams is great after about the top 10 to 12 teams. I know I will catch flack over that statement but that has been my honest observation over the last few years. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbeerchugx xbabycryx xdizzyx

UAalum72
May 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Adding the DII & DIII championships to the event would only boost attendance by about 3,000 fans. xrolleyesx
The D-II and D-III championships draw at least 5-7,000 EACH, nothing for FCS to sneeze at. Plus any city the combined championship is in is likely to be a better destination for them than Florence, Alabama and Salem, VA.

Dane96
May 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Based on what empirical evidence. As my UA brother points out, there could be upwards of 16,000 new fans. You think they wont stay after there team played-- Of course they would stay.

Again, when the DI Lax Championship is played, the NATIONAL TV audience isn't likely aware that the DII and DIII championships were played in the previous days.

Even if they were, WHO CARES....48k fans were in the seats. It is an electric atmosphere.

Look...thinking outside the box is the way to go. Change...is often the way to go. This would take years of planning...so no reason not to start thinking about it.

48,000 compared to 23,000 is a huge difference. It is huge for gate revenue, it is HUGE FROM ESPN's standpoint (they can charge more for advertising), it is HUGE from a concession standpoint, it is huge for the local economy, etc.

It is a win win. And, btw, you COULD eventually guarantee a weekend MUCH like Lax where you aren't talking about 48,000 fans...rather nearly 90,000 fans if you get 20k each for the other games....which you just might.

Let's arguably say you get up to the 90k mark of total attendence at one point. Multiply that by an average of $40 per person (concessions, parking, ticket). That is conservative. Now you haven't added Radio and TV rights, which you can eventually have ESPN pay for since, guess what, IT IS A DISNEY EVENT. Guess who owns ESPN-- DISNEY.

It is a win-win.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I've posted it before and I agree with D96. I tend to watch the D-II and D-III games on TV. Shoot, I'll watch HS games on TV too because I like to watch football.

Anyway, if my team is not involved in our championship game, having three games to watch in person is a much stronger incentive for me to make the expenditure of time and money to attend. I'd be going to watch the college classifications that play the correct way, settling their championships on the field. Yeah, some people are going to associate FCS with D-II, but you know what, those clowns look at everything lower than BCS as "D-II".

I'm all for creating an event that will attract hard core fans from all of FCS!! Throw in an all star game to boot -- FCS vs. D-II and D-III or split the three classifications regionally (East-West or North-South).

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Except that there's nothing to do there and therefore zero incentive for non hardcore fans to make the expensive trip out there.

If it's somewhere cheap to get to and has lots of stuff to do, many more will come.

if you haven't been to the NC game in Chatty, you have little standing with me on commenting on it.
There is stuff to do... like go to the National Championship game. xcoffeex

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Did you not go in '03? xeyebrowx
Nope, and I swore I would never miss another. xoopsx

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
So out of all the teams that go to the playoff's, ya'll telling me APPY is the only team that will put 20,000 butt's in a seat for game.
A Championship game? xconfusedx
Nope, but they're the only ones who would put 30k. 20k is fine for the current stadium.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I like the Nashville idea, central location, things to do, adequate facility
xconfusedx

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
It is a win win. And, btw, you COULD eventually guarantee a weekend MUCH like Lax where you aren't talking about 48,000 fans...rather nearly 90,000 fans if you get 20k each for the other games....which you just might.

Let's arguably say you get up to the 90k mark of total attendence at one point.
See, now you just lost all crediblity. xoopsx 90K? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM

The trouble is that Disney already sponsored, for years, the Florida Classic between FAMU and B-CC (the best-attended game in ALL of FCS for years), and recently switched it to the MEAC-SWAC Challenge amidst an uproar from other MEAC schools. Getting Disney to sponsor another game is unlikely to happen - especially when their reputation is already strained with a conference already in the playoffs.

I think Disney is happy to sponsor one, and exactly one, game a year, and they will pursue that. Sponsoring a HBCU classic, with guaranteed attendance, will give them great exposure in the HBCU community and that's what they are looking for. Sponsoring Delaware/App State, I'm sure they'd be happy to do.... but there's always the chance that the title game will be Wofford vs. Colgate, too. That sort of risk for a championship game - never mind the pressure FBS schools would put on that sponsor to not sponsor anything reeking of a football championship - is something that would make Disney stay far, far away.

In theory, Orlando/UCF is a great idea. Unfortunately, politics seeps its way into this process from every angle, making it a near-impossibility.

And, besides, I like the game in Chatty xnodx

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM
And, besides, I like the game in Chatty xnodx
Most of the people who like Chatty are ones that have been there. Most opposed haven't been in the state of Tennessee... I've been both.

bluehenbillk
May 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I like the Orlando idea, there would be a great place to have a NC game. Look, Chatty is OK, but there's nothing special that warrants it being the permanent home of the NC game, move it around I say. How much would the Super Bowl suck if they played it in the same place every year?

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I like the Orlando idea, there would be a great place to have a NC game. Look, Chatty is OK, but there's nothing special that warrants it being the permanent home of the NC game, move it around I say. How much would the Super Bowl suck if they played it in the same place every year?
Any city would KILL to have the SB and would pull out all the stops to make it a great event. Can you say the same for our NC game?

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
There is stuff to do... like go to the National Championship game. xcoffeex

The atmosphere in Chatty is excellent. The city does a great job with it. If two teams are there that bring the fans it is that much better. The '07 game had people trying to get a ticket and couldn't. If you go to a bug venue and put 15,000 people in a 50,000 seat stadium it will take away from the importance of the game and atmosphere.:(

I talked with a photographer at the '07 game and he said the atmosphere was better than any super bowl he had photographed.xnodx xnodx xnodx

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.."xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
May 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
It's small time thinking to say just keep it in Chatty, they couldn't even handle the game this year in multiple ways, i.e. capacity & crowd control.

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
It's small time thinking to say just keep it in Chatty, they couldn't even handle the game this year in multiple ways, i.e. capacity & crowd control.

That crowd control issue at the end of the game was an NCAA issue and not a Chatty issue.

When I saw the way they put them in the end zone I knew there could and probably would be issues.xnodx xnodx

FargoBison
May 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
xconfusedx

It is an adequate facility because the stadium is big but it isn't too big. I think somebody here said Vandy's stadium seats 39k.

jstate83
May 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
It is an adequate facility because the stadium is big but it isn't too big. I think somebody here said Vandy's stadium seats 39k.

xnodx

McNeese_beat
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Let me alter what was said. The game has outgrown the venue only because App is in the final AND App is so close to Chatty. If the game was in a 25k-seater in Beaumont Texas and McNeese was making the championship game bringing 30k fans, everybody would be saying the same thing, only replacing App with McNeese. If the game was in Spokane and Griz nation brought 35k fans, then they'd be saying the same thing about Spokane.

The good thing about Chatty is there are potentially more FCS teams within driving distance of it than any other venue mentioned on this thread so far. Would App's fans travel in the same numbers to Vegas? Mobile? I doubt it, out of sheer convenience on short notice. At Chatty, the SC and the southern part of the Colonial are very convenient to the venue.

andy7171
May 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Based on what empirical evidence. As my UA brother points out, there could be upwards of 16,000 new fans. You think they wont stay after there team played-- Of course they would stay.

Again, when the DI Lax Championship is played, the NATIONAL TV audience isn't likely aware that the DII and DIII championships were played in the previous days.

Even if they were, WHO CARES....48k fans were in the seats. It is an electric atmosphere.

Look...thinking outside the box is the way to go. Change...is often the way to go. This would take years of planning...so no reason not to start thinking about it.

48,000 compared to 23,000 is a huge difference. It is huge for gate revenue, it is HUGE FROM ESPN's standpoint (they can charge more for advertising), it is HUGE from a concession standpoint, it is huge for the local economy, etc.

Let's arguably say you get up to the 90k mark of total attendence at one point. Multiply that by an average of $40 per person (concessions, parking, ticket). That is conservative. Now you haven't added Radio and TV rights, which you can eventually have ESPN pay for since, guess what, IT IS A DISNEY EVENT. Guess who owns ESPN-- DISNEY.

It is a win-win.

We'll see just how popular the LAX NC weekend is this year. Baltimore is a, if not the, hot bed for college lacrosse. Philly packed in close to 40K in '06, partly, because I think it's a quick 75 minute drive on I-95 from Baltimore. If Boston can attract over 30K I will be pleasantly suprised.

If FCS is going to move the NC game to a bigger venue, they'd be smart to wait and see what happens in Chattanooga after AE graduates. xpeacex

UAalum72
May 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
We'll see just how popular the LAX NC weekend is this year. Baltimore is a, if not the, hot bed for college lacrosse. Philly packed in close to 40K in '06, partly, because I think it's a quick 75 minute drive on I-95 from Baltimore. If Boston can attract over 30K I will be pleasantly suprised.
There's more lax out there then in Balt. Laxpower reported two weeks ago tickets sales were already over 32,000.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Oh, I missed the Vandy part. I was thinking Titans.

WUTNDITWAA
May 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
What's wrong with having a tough ticket? Not everybody who wants to go to a Super Bowl gets to go, but you don't see them building some 1,000,000 seat stadium just to accommodate everyone.

Chattanooga is just right for FCS football. The folks at Appalachian may have to one day address if it has outgrown the FCS, but that's an entirely separate issue and has nothing to do with Chattanooga or the stadium.

Keep this game in Chattanooga until it proves it can no longer handle it.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Let me alter what was said. The game has outgrown the venue only because App is in the final AND App is so close to Chatty. If the game was in a 25k-seater in Beaumont Texas and McNeese was making the championship game bringing 30k fans, everybody would be saying the same thing, only replacing App with McNeese. If the game was in Spokane and Griz nation brought 35k fans, then they'd be saying the same thing about Spokane.
As the one you are altering... yes, that is correct. App wouldn't bring 30k to a location further away.

WUTNDITWAA
May 5th, 2008, 11:50 AM
As the one you are altering... yes, that is correct. App wouldn't bring 30k to a location further away.

I think ASU fans would travel well to any location in the Southeast. Chattanooga is somewhat close to Boone (though it's a tricky road until you get on the other side of Johnson City), but it's a good day's haul from Charlotte or Raleigh.

jstate83
May 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM

xnodx
I know Chatty and the City do a great job at putting on this game but for 5 year's down the line, people closing their mind's to other option's and what a city like Nashville could offer is small time.

What's wrong with having a tough ticket? Not everybody who wants to go to a Super Bowl gets to go, but you don't see them building some 1,000,000 seat stadium just to accommodate everyone.

40,000 should still be a tough ticket.
If a NC game can't draw 40,000 people yearly, then that speak's poorly for a lot of fan's that call themselves FAN's of these FCS school's.xsmhx

And it should not matter who is playing in the game.xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I think ASU fans would travel well to any location in the Southeast. Chattanooga is somewhat close to Boone (though it's a tricky road until you get on the other side of Johnson City), but it's a good day's haul from Charlotte or Raleigh.
Sure, but I was talking about moving it out of the area as beat said. Charlotte, Atlanta, Columbia... would all be much easier to drive than to Chatty for ASU fans.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
If a NC game can't draw 40,000 people yearly, then that speak's poorly for a lot of fan's that call themselves FAN's
I doesn't so I guess we know what you think about everyone here. xeyebrowx

jstate83
May 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I doesn't so I guess we know what you think about everyone here. xeyebrowx

That's not my problem that you can't talk your own fan's into following your own team.
We follow our team.
The SCG had over 43,000 last year with blue and white everywhere.

I'm just making suggestions and having fun with the topic.
You act like you the only one here that's allowed to speak their mind.

Lighten up dude.
You not the Grand Pu-ba of FCS. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
You can't make a business plan assuming it's going to be App State/Delaware in the championship every year. You have to assume the possibility of a Colgate/Wofford final. No disrespect to both schools, but they're both private schools with 1,700 undergrads. If you get EVERY student from BOTH schools and a good chunk of both alumni, you'd be awfully hard pressed to get 15,000.

In Chattanooga, you could maybe get away with that some years (the school contingent plus the folks taht catch every championship). But would you get that in Orlando? A 60K stadium looks awful thin with 20K fans in it.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
That's not my problem that you can't talk your own fan's into following your own team.
xnodx But I wouldn't say they're not fans if they don't go. Most of the folks on this board would go (most App and UD fans here did go last year) but it's a tough sell for a lot of people. Vacation, cost, etc...

jstate83
May 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
xnodx But I wouldn't say they're not fans if they don't go. Most of the folks on this board would go (most App and UD fans here did go last year) but it's a tough sell for a lot of people. Vacation, cost, etc...

xthumbsupx

813Jag
May 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
You can't make a business plan assuming it's going to be App State/Delaware in the championship every year. You have to assume the possibility of a Colgate/Wofford final. No disrespect to both schools, but they're both private schools with 1,700 undergrads. If you get EVERY student from BOTH schools and a good chunk of both alumni, you'd be awfully hard pressed to get 15,000.

In Chattanooga, you could maybe get away with that some years (the school contingent plus the folks taht catch every championship). But would you get that in Orlando? A 60K stadium looks awful thin with 20K fans in it.
That's my issue with Orlando, any game of this size has to be promoted and supported by the local community. Will Orlando do that? Who knows? xconfusedx

At least don't look at the Crap-trus Bowl. xnonono2x

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
That's my issue with Orlando, any game of this size has to be promoted and supported by the local community. Will Orlando do that? Who knows?
IMO, no. This is a BIG event for Chatty and that can't be overlooked. It was the lead story on the evening news and front page in the paper. In Orlando, it would just be another event. How many MILLIONS of people go to Orlando every year?

jessesd
May 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
IMO, no. This is a BIG event for Chatty and that can't be overlooked. It was the lead story on the evening news and front page in the paper. In Orlando, it would just be another event. How many MILLIONS of people go to Orlando every year?

In my opinion....
For every hard core FCS fan, there are "several" split loyalties households (My wife can care less about who is playing regardless of what I think!!! xbawlingx xbawlingx ) and we would never go to Chatty (location, access, nothing to do besides the game for many wives).
Most of us married guys have limited number of "hang out with the boys only days". Now if the game is in another location (keep it in the South/Southwest), like Hotlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, etc. It would make it easy for many of us to go and hang with the boys and watch some foosball and we can get together later with our wives for dinner, etc!!! during the day she and many other football widows can busy themselves at the beach or shopping, etc.... In addition a city with better flight access, makes it easy to travel, instead of that travel nightmare of multiple connections.

Many of us married peolple fit in this category!!
Get us a better location!!!!

citdog
May 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
In my opinion....
For every hard core FCS fan, there are "several" split loyalties households (My wife can care less about who is playing regardless of what I think!!! xbawlingx xbawlingx ) and we would never go to Chatty (location, access, nothing to do besides the game for many wives).
Most of us married guys have limited number of "hang out with the boys only days". Now if the game is in another location (keep it in the South/Southwest), like Hotlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, etc. It would make it easy for many of us to go and hang with the boys and watch some foosball and we can get together later with our wives for dinner, etc!!! during the day she and many other football widows can busy themselves at the beach or shopping, etc.... In addition a city with better flight access, makes it easy to travel, instead of that travel nightmare of multiple connections.

Many of us married peolple fit in this

category!!

or perhaps you should ask your wife for posession of your snarglies

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
In my opinion....
Most of us married guys have limited number of "hang out with the boys only days".

I don't agree. I'm married and have limited "hang out with the boys" days too. But I also have two kids. Four airplane tix + hotel + dog kennel + having to pull the kids from school +.... = a MUCH harder sell then letting just me leave on a Thursday night and be home Sunday morning. The thing you have to keep in mind is that you don't know your team is in the game until 6 days prior. Unless you are talking about going to the game regardless of who is in it, I don't buy your theory. Now, there were a couple of Griz fans at the game, but I'd say there were 4-8. That was the only other I-AA jersey I saw in Chatty. If you move it to Orlando, I don't think the place will be crawling with I-AA fans who's teams aren't in the game. Again, JMHO.

TheValleyRaider
May 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Hey now, we've got 2,700 undergrads, thank you very much xnonox xreadx :D

McTailGator
May 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I agree totally.

We are D-I and we should distance ourselves from the other Divisions...

I say the NCAA should try to get an airline to act as a sponsor and tie in some cheap 21 day type of fares for fans of the 2 schools.

ALSO, they should tie in an allstar game played on the Friday night prior to the big SATURDAY game.

We already have to push the playoffs back between Chrismas and New Years if we are going to add another week of games in, so we can't push the finals back 2 weeks after the Semi's, to allow for cheaper airfares. So that thought is out of the window.

The REAL key is to find a suitable city that supports the attendance figures and or cheap airfares are possible if you can't get an airline to sponsor.

Chattnooga has stepped things up considerably each year. They added the turf when they needed to. NOW all they need to do is get their fans to buy some more seats and go to the game. Hell, they could have sold their tickets on e-bay to ASU and UD fans last year and made a killing.

I wish Lake Charles would Hurry up and get some more full service hotels NOT attached to a casino and partner with McNeese to host the game. I have no doubt that McNeese fans would buy about 7,000 or 8,000 seats regardless of who is in the game.

Of course, my 2nd choice would be for The Greater Houston Sports Authority to go get it for the new Soccer Stadium to be built next to the Astro's Stadium Downtown. Nice place, plenty of hotels and things to do, lots of bars, resturants and two airline hubs that could offer some cheap fares.

I realize that Chatty is in the center of it all, but it's cold at night there (FRIDAY NIGHT SUCKS).

That is really what we as fans should do... Start a campaign to let the NCAA know how we feel about that Friday Night game.

FOOTBALL WAS MADE FOR SATURDAY's. ESPECIALLY THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR.

FargoBison
May 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
My thought is if you put the game in Nashville, place a bye week in between the semifinals and title game, attendance will pick up quite a bit(enough to make a 39k seat stadium be reasonable).

This would also give people a more destination type of city to go to. Joe blow FCS fan is more likely to make plans to attend the game, regardless of if his team makes it or not. Nashville is also easier and cheaper to get to and an extra week should give everyone enough time to make travel plans.

AppStFan76
May 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I think they should have the NC game in Boone, that way it would save the App team the money to travel every year!xsmiley_wix

Kidding

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
In my opinion....

The only ones that fall into that category that I know of are the ones that handed over their nuts when they got married as citdog has already suggested. Do you ever wonder what they even look like anymore?

ericsaid
May 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I saw some griz fans to with seats up on the field with their flags thrown, pretty funny actually, out there pulling for a team who was a thousand+ miles away?

GannonFan
May 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
The thing good about Chatty right now is that they do a good job with the locals buying tickets. Heck, they reportedly had 8-10k for last year (of course that was a problem as those tickets could have been sold to the schools involved, but that's a good problem to have). With that in mind, the 23k is starting to be too small. Other than that, it's a great location for the game and they do a great job of hosting it. Find someway to curb the 18 hour drinkfest and slovenly drunkeness that accompanies it (or at least makes its way into the stadium) and all is good! xthumbsupx

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
The thing good about Chatty right now is that they do a good job with the locals buying tickets. Heck, they reportedly had 8-10k for last year (of course that was a problem as those tickets could have been sold to the schools involved, but that's a good problem to have). With that in mind, the 23k is starting to be too small. Other than that, it's a great location for the game and they do a great job of hosting it. Find someway to curb the 18 hour drinkfest and slovenly drunkeness that accompanies it (or at least makes its way into the stadium) and all is good! xthumbsupx
Like you said that's a good problem to have, when it comes to neutral site games you have to have local fans come out no matter who's playing. That's what makes a game successful.

appfan2008
May 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Most of the people who like Chatty are ones that have been there. Most opposed haven't been in the state of Tennessee... I've been both.

I have been to chatty and loved every minute of it... my only request is an upper deck... sure it would be empty some years but others it would be an amazing additions... i dont like turning fans away...

appfan2008
May 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
i think the biggest problem in this whole situation is the NEED for a bye week... if there is a bye week involved then travel would be SO MUCH easier for everyone to make plans

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I realize that Chatty is in the center of it all, but it's cold at night there (FRIDAY NIGHT SUCKS).

That is really what we as fans should do... Start a campaign to let the NCAA know how we feel about that Friday Night game.

FOOTBALL WAS MADE FOR SATURDAY's. ESPECIALLY THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR.
FWIW, it's hit or miss. It was downright beautiful last year. I didn't really need a jacket until late and the night game had a great atmosphere IMO. It's better than the morning/noon start or whatever it is for DII or III.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Find someway to curb the 18 hour drinkfest and slovenly drunkeness that accompanies it (or at least makes its way into the stadium) and all is good! xthumbsupx
xconfusedx Curb it? No way. :p The Chatty police actually suspend the open container law in the city for the game so it can be a drinkfest. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM
i dont like turning fans away...
I do. xnodx Seriously, I've always said you can create a demand with lack of supply. If it's an easy ticket to come by, it's not nearly as exciting for those going.

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I do. xnodx Seriously, I've always said you can create a demand with lack of supply. If it's an easy ticket to come by, it's not nearly as exciting for those going.

Thank you. I have said the same thing many times. The ASU folks are finding it out for their home games too. It makes it much more exciting for the fans xthumbsupx (holders of tickets). It is even difficult to get away game tickets for ASU now. Everybody wants to see the "Armanti-ASU ROAD SHOW..xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xbandwagonx xbeerchugx xshakingmadx xdizzyx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I always wondered last year - couldn't there have been some places for official "viewing parties" of the game? I don't know if there were any places in Chatty with DiamondVisions where folks could go outdoors and watch the game, or even official bars/eateries where it could be viewed, but I think that would have been a great way to deal with the overflow crowd...

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Thank you. I have said the same thing many times. The ASU folks are finding it out for their home games too.
That's why I think Montana has been so successful at maintaining 100% capacity. If they had gone from 19,000 to 25,000 in one swoop, it would have been more difficult to do. But building up to it in several additions, you keep that demand up because it's such a hot ticket. I fear that UD will go too big if/when they do an addition or a new stadium.

SideLine Shooter
May 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM
That's why I think Montana has been so successful at maintaining 100% capacity. If they had gone from 19,000 to 25,000 in one swoop, it would have been more difficult to do. But building up to it in several additions, you keep that demand up because it's such a hot ticket. I fear that UD will go too big if/when they do an addition or a new stadium.

EXACTLY. The people that are doing the complaining are the bandwagon fans. The longtime fans that are there every week pretty much understand this. I just get tired of the complaining. The NC game for FCS needs to stay at a smaller venue for now and Chatty is an excellent facility and city.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

McNeese_beat
May 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Like you said that's a good problem to have, when it comes to neutral site games you have to have local fans come out no matter who's playing. That's what makes a game successful.

... Which is why, as you pointed out earlier, large markets wouldn't be good for this game. Who in Houston would care? What, are they supposed to get emotionally invested in this game the day before a Texans game and two weeks before the Horns and Aggies play in bowl games? In Las Vegas, are you expecting tourists to come out and watch?

The reason Omaha has become a permanent home for the College World Series is the city is small enough to embrace the event. They don't need any fans from the teams to put a good crowd in Rosenblatt because the locals come in droves. What the FCS needs to find is a city that embraces the event as much as Omaha has embraced the CWS. Is Chattanooga that city? To be honest, I didn't see it in 02...one side of the stadium was pretty full with McNeese fans and the other side was half empty with Western Kentucky fans. I found little evidence of any significant local crowd to speak of. Same in 97 when McNeese played Youngstown.

Somebody else mentioned that ticket sales have gone up to 5-10k among locals. If that's true, maybe the event has taken off locally since I was last there. If that's the case, then to me, the FCS has found its place and the only thing left to do is for the city to consider possible stadium expansion for the event to something closer to 30k seats. If you can put 10k locals in there every year, a 30k seater would be perfect. Next, get the game back to Saturday afternoon, which would offset some of the cold weather issues.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Next, get the game back to Saturday afternoon, which would offset some of the cold weather issues.

Although fun for purist fans, putting in on Saturday afternoon would kill it in the TV ratings and all but remove the casual viewer from the proceedings. I like the game on Friday night, with no viewing competition, at Chatty.

stevdock
May 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have read most of this thread, but haven't really seen why people are asking for it to be moved other than it has been over capacity the last few years because App. St. has been in it? For FCS I think it is in a great spot since there are so many teams within driving distance to it. Unfortuantely that leaves us out west a long ways away but it is no further for us then it was down to Northern Alabama for the D2 championship game and we still attended it very well. So why move it? I don't understand that.

89Hen
May 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have read most of this thread, but haven't really seen why people are asking for it to be moved
Ignorance. I don't mean that in a mean way, but I was in the same boat prior to last year. I had never been to Chatty and assumed it wasn't a good place to have the game. Like I said, there are two people in this discussion. Those that haven't been to Chatty and want it moved, and those that have been to Chatty and think it's great.

Dane96
May 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If Chatty can add more seats...I am all for leaving it there. Get up to 30-32k...and I am for it.

McTailGator
May 6th, 2008, 03:02 PM
FWIW, it's hit or miss. It was downright beautiful last year. I didn't really need a jacket until late and the night game had a great atmosphere IMO. It's better than the morning/noon start or whatever it is for DII or III.

Perhaps I should have been more specific...

We want a 3:00 est start on Saturday with a 1/2 hour pregame and postgame show! xsmiley_wix

UDChE89
May 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I've read through the entire thread and feel that those who say there's nothing to do in Chattanooga haven't actually ever been there. I was a resident for three years (including '03) and traveled there last year (it's good to have a company with a plant there). There's plenty to do in the area but you have to do a little searching. I've seen a huge change in the city from 2003 to 2007. There's more to do, more places to eat, and more places to stay.

I'm surprised folks are mentioning Nashville. I find less things to do there than in Chattanooga unless you're a country music fan. Orlando in December?? Yeah, right.. do you know how many families are traveling down there for the holidays? You're not going to find a cheap airfare for heading down there at that time of year.

All the other cities mentioned (including Mobile and Las Vegas) have bowl games scheduled during bowl season. I just can't picture the folks in those cities coming out and supporting an additional game at that time of the year.

As for combining the FCS game with the D2 and D3 games, I'll pass. We're D1 and should be treated separately. We still get writers that refer to us as D2, do you really want to give them more ammo?

BeauFoster
May 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
... Somebody else mentioned that ticket sales have gone up to 5-10k among locals. If that's true, maybe the event has taken off locally since I was last there. If that's the case, then to me, the FCS has found its place and the only thing left to do is for the city to consider possible stadium expansion for the event to something closer to 30k seats. If you can put 10k locals in there every year, a 30k seater would be perfect. Next, get the game back to Saturday afternoon, which would offset some of the cold weather issues.

In 2005, I spoke with a few locals, there to cheer on their SoCon brethren. I saw fewer in 2006, but there were still plenty there. In 2007, I saw very few out in the parking lots (many fewer than in 06 - several tailgated with us all day), though there were a couple who came through trying to scalp tickets for $80 each. Damn near punched the guy. Many of the locals I dealt with outside of the game knew why we were in town and knew who was playing in the game (both 06 and 07 this was the case).

I believe that UT-C season ticket holders used to receive championship game tickets as part of the package, but I don't think they get them any more, partly due to recent demand.

McNeese_beat
May 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Although fun for purist fans, putting in on Saturday afternoon would kill it in the TV ratings and all but remove the casual viewer from the proceedings. I like the game on Friday night, with no viewing competition, at Chatty.

I can't find the numbers, so I can't deny what you claim, but my understanding is the worst night to be on TV is Friday night because it's traditionally a "night out" night, more so than Saturday night (it's pay day, no church in the morning for those who do that, first chance to go out after a work week, etc., etc.). And because of the Friday night activities, people are more likely to relax at home on a Saturday afternoon...which is part of the reason why Saturday afternoon sports is big money/decent ratings.

Now, somebody may find the the numbers and show me that the game is actually getting better ratings now than it was when it was on Saturday afternoon. Or, can somebody provide a comparison between the ratings of FCS game compared to the ratings of the Division II game and the Stagg Bowl?