PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State's Comegy Wants The Playoffs

Lehigh Football Nation
April 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080427/SPORTS030101/804270340/1073

"I think we're just starting to turn the corner," coach Rick Comegy said during his speech. "... No doubt we can go to the I-AA playoffs and compete with the Appalachian States. That's what we want to do."

xeyebrowx Could this be the start of something....?

813Jag
April 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
We'll have to wait and see. xreadx

89Hen
April 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM
xeyebrowx Could this be the start of something....?
He's been saying this for a long time. JSU is the one SWAC that has mentioned playoffs over the years. I'm not sure what they can do about it unless they're willing to leave the SWAC. How about Southland? xthumbsupx

813Jag
April 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
He's been saying this for a long time. JSU is the one SWAC that has mentioned playoffs over the years. I'm not sure what they can do about it unless they're willing to leave the SWAC. How about Southland? xthumbsupx
I don't really see them leaving, he knew the situation when he came. Our situation is similar to Tuskeegee. If the championship game can be done away with it would open the door for them.

jstate83
April 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx
NOT A CHANCE.xnonox
That's just the coach being a coach.

We, (JSU/SWAC), will deal with that when the time comes.
If we get a bid and are the EAST Champs, then it's a SWAC Decision.....................THE SCG as it stands now.

If we get a bid and are not the EAST Champs, then it's the same deal as the '80's and 90's.
WE WILL GO. xnodx xthumbsupx

jstate83
April 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM

We have NEVER turned down a playoff bid.
The SCG just add's another twist to it.

If the number's keep rising for the SCG like it has the last 3 year's, then I doubt the SWAC is gonna cancel that setup in the near future.

I think after this year, you will see JSU play more OOC games against the top 25 FCS teams.
We been wanting to go back to doing that since the 9 game mandate was put into effect.
Fan's didn't like the mandate but what can you do when the power's that be at the time voted it in.

Glad we stepped back from that mess.

bluehenbillk
April 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well we'd have to see if they fare any better than the MEAC, notwithstanding that's not a difficult feat.

jstate83
April 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Well we'd have to see if they fare any better than the MEAC, notwithstanding that's not a difficult feat.

None of our games was over in the first 5 minutes.
We may have lost, but we ain't just got run out the stadium like that.
The only arse kicking's was Marshall, Montana, G. Southern, and SFA.

William and Mary was a "we going but don't want to" kind of thing.
Them boy's wanted to play in the Heritage Bowl that year but we had to take the playoff bid.
They didn't enter that game in no frame of mind to play.

Breakdown's cost us the Playoff game against Boise State in 1981. 19-7.
A fumble Ruskie cost us the game against Arkansas St on the last play........lost by 3..............35-32.

Eastern. Ill................Ask any JSU fan about that game and it's fighting time.xlolx
Of all the games we played, that is the ONLY ONE that we just got flat cheated by the calls..............16-10.
The rest of the playoff losses were fair deals.

There were a couple other's that were close.
Not making excuses but half the time, we were not the Champs of the SWAC when we went.
We were 2nd or boarder line 3rd behind either Gram or Southern.

Mr. Tiger
April 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Nothing new here. Comegy has said all along that he wants JSU to return to the playoffs. Many fans and alumni, including myself would like to see it happen. We were never against the playoffs, but we have to follow the rules of our conference and the SCG has been financially successful. I believe everything will work out in the end. Give it a little time.

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Comegy gets it...

Looking forward to Comegy and HFIII in the playoffs!

3rd Coast Tiger
April 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Comegy gets it...

Looking forward to Comegy and HFIII in the playoffs!

xlolx Don't know how to tell you this TT but with a detailed conversation I had with a JSU National Alumni Association Executive Officer and with Comegy yesterday he told me (and I quote) "Le Blanc.... that was just paper talk".

Sorry to break your heart. xsmhx

paward
April 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I would love for it them to enter the playoff picture. But I do not see it happening.

blackcaesar3k5
April 30th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Comegy is protegee of the legendary Billy Joe.. I wouldn't be surpise if Jackson State snub SCG to contend for 1-aa national title..

Cap'n Cat
April 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM
None of our games was over in the first 5 minutes.
We may have lost, but we ain't just got run out the stadium like that.
The only arse kicking's was Marshall, Montana, G. Southern, and SFA.

William and Mary was a "we going but don't want to" kind of thing.
Them boy's wanted to play in the Heritage Bowl that year but we had to take the playoff bid.
They didn't enter that game in no frame of mind to play.

Breakdown's cost us the Playoff game against Boise State in 1981. 19-7.
A fumble Ruskie cost us the game against Arkansas St on the last play........lost by 3..............35-32.

Eastern. Ill................Ask any JSU fan about that game and it's fighting time.xlolx
Of all the games we played, that is the ONLY ONE that we just got flat cheated by the calls..............16-10.
The rest of the playoff losses were fair deals.

There were a couple other's that were close.
Not making excuses but half the time, we were not the Champs of the SWAC when we went.
We were 2nd or boarder line 3rd behind either Gram or Southern.

http://www.lukalips.com/images/Chihuahua.jpg
"Refs! Ref-ref-ref-ref-ref-REFs!!! REF-REF-REFs!!! RRRRREFS!"

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
http://www.lukalips.com/images/Chihuahua.jpg
"Refs! Ref-ref-ref-ref-ref-REFs!!! REF-REF-REFs!!! RRRRREFS!"

See mods.
Ya'll alway's want to call me out but this byotch follow's me everywhere but ya'll don't say or do shat to this clown.

But a dick breath byotch will alway's be a dick breath byotch.
So be it Cap'in fag.xthumbsupx

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Comegy is protegee of the legendary Billy Joe.. I wouldn't be surpise if Jackson State snub SCG to contend for 1-aa national title..

He can't.
Just like back in the '80's and 90's, if JSU was the SWAC champ but got a playoff bid, we didn't play in the Heritage Bowl.
We had to take the bid.

If we the East Champs, we have to go to the SCG.xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
xlolx Don't know how to tell you this TT but with a detailed conversation I had with a JSU National Alumni Association Executive Officer and with Comegy yesterday he told me (and I quote) "Le Blanc.... that was just paper talk".

Sorry to break your heart. xsmhx
I guess I don't understand how saying this benefits JSU. xconfusedx

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I guess I don't understand how saying this benefits JSU. xconfusedx

Explain.
Don't understand the question. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
May want to check that 83. I can't remembet the exact number, but I think it was 9 times out of the 12 trips you were the SWAC #1 or tied #1.

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
May want to check that 83. I can't remembet the exact number, but I think it was 9 times out of the 12 trips you were the SWAC #1 or tied #1.

Don't think so.
If I'm not mistaking, everytime SU played in the Heritage bowl, they were the champs except 1.
In the '80's though, from '83 or '84 to 1989 we were the champs.

But like I said, not making excuses.
We just got beat. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Explain.
Don't understand the question. xthumbsupx
I don't understand how JSU benefits by Comegy saying they would like to play in the playoffs. The only thing I can think it would help with is if the starts align and JSU is the #2 team in the division at 10-1 or maybe 9-2. I still say the NCAA won't give an at-large to a #2 team from a conference when the #1 team won't play. But that's only my opinion.

TexasTerror
May 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
I don't understand how JSU benefits by Comegy saying they would like to play in the playoffs. The only thing I can think it would help with is if the starts align and JSU is the #2 team in the division at 10-1 or maybe 9-2. I still say the NCAA won't give an at-large to a #2 team from a conference when the #1 team won't play. But that's only my opinion.

Comegy looking out for himself, you think? Perhaps trying to use the papers to promote the propaganda needed to bring in better recruits using an argument that no other SWAC school will use?

813Jag
May 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Comegy looking out for himself, you think? Perhaps trying to use the papers to promote the propaganda needed to bring in better recruits using an argument that no other SWAC school will use?
If he's doing that what will he say if it doesn't come true? xconfusedx I see JSU winning the East for a while.

89Hen
May 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Don't think so.
If I'm not mistaking, everytime SU played in the Heritage bowl, they were the champs except 1.

I actually was wrong. It was 10 times out of 12 you were the champs or co-champs of the SWAC and went to the playoffs: 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995 and 1996.

1978 (GSU) and 1997 (SU) were the only two playoff appearances in which you were not the SWAC champs.

I knew this because I've had this same discussion many times over the years.

813Jag
May 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Don't think so.

The only year Southern went to the Heritage Bowl as a runner up was 1996 (played Howard).

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
I actually was wrong. It was 10 times out of 12 you were the champs or co-champs of the SWAC and went to the playoffs: 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995 and 1996.

1978 (GSU) and 1997 (SU) were the only two playoff appearances in which you were not the SWAC champs.

I knew this because I've had this same discussion many times over the years.

The only year Southern went to the Heritage Bowl as a runner up was 1996 (played Howard).

Cool.
Back then it was round robin.
There were so many co-champ year's.

813Jag
May 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Cool.
Back then it was round robin.
There were so many co-champ year's.
I always liked the 8 team SWAC.

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
I always liked the 8 team SWAC.

Yep.
The chances of recovering from an early season slip up back then was brutal.

Example:
Gram and Alcorn the 1st game of the season.
The loser was in the hole from jump street. xlolx

813Jag
May 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Yep.
The chances of recovering from an early season slip up back then was brutal.

Example:
Gram and Alcorn the 1st game of the season.
The loser was in the hole from jump street. xlolx
Jackson State and Alcorn back to back. Many a promising season was lost in that stretch. xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
May 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Coach Speak 101

89Hen
May 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
SWAC Champions since the start of I-AA to the advent of the CG:

1978 Grambling
1979 Grambling, Alcorn State
1980 Grambling, Jackson State
1981 Jackson State
1982 Jackson State
1983 Grambling
1984 Alcorn State
1985 Jackson State, Grambling
1986 Jackson State
1987 Jackson State
1988 Jackson State
1989 Jackson State
1990 Jackson State
1991 Alabama State
1992 Alcorn State
1993 Southern
1994 Alcorn State, Grambling
1995 Jackson State
1996 Jackson State
1997 Southern
1998 Southern

3rd Coast Tiger
May 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Coach Speak 101

Exactly! I see you sat front row of the Eddie Robinson/Doug Williams/Melvins Spears lecture class. xbowx

McNeese_beat
May 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I say push the whole playoff back a week — the SWAC is smarter than the rest of the Division in wanted its rivalry games on Thanksgiving weekend — and then, in order to be pragmatic, have one first-round playoff game set aside to be played between a MEAC and a SWAC in an unofficial HBCU championship game. So what if they would otherwise be the No. 19 and No. 20 seed in the tournament or the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the tournament. Right now, it's about building interest, attendance and cash flow. And having an annual post-season game that brings in these traditional rivalries as part of the post-season is a good thing.