PDA

View Full Version : ASU @ FU

Saint3333
October 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
There's been a lot of talk about this game on the uffp and MMB lately. All I know is ASU has sold it's allotment for tickets (just called), they're bringing a band of ~280 (maybe the traveling squad is smaller), and then ASU walk-up fans like myself will be there. We might only have 4 home games this year, but we're going to make the boys in black and gold as comfortable as possible on the road.

Should be a great game, but who knows might be a blowout either way. If it's a close game I like our chances, this buds for you Bobby Lamb in fact have two...

thirdgendin
October 6th, 2005, 09:43 PM
There's been a lot of talk about this game on the uffp and MMB lately. All I know is ASU has sold it's allotment for tickets (just called)

I think it was mentioned on the MMB that the allotment was about 100 tickets though. I still expect a good ASU crowd.

igo4uni
October 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
So, who's gonna win? Predictions??

peace

igo4uni

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
FUR-BALLS!........IT'S UH LOCK!...................MOUSEKETEERS...WILL SQUEAL..LIKE UH NORTHERNER....ON UH FISHIN' OUTTIN'.........IN DUH SOUTHERN WILDERNESS!.....DOODLE-DOO-DOO!..............:eek:

31-19!.........BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
This is going to be a great game. The winner deffinately has an inside track to the playoffs. I've been on the App State Bandwagon all season but winning at Furman won't be easy.

youwouldno
October 6th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Attendance should be very good. I think Furman's defense may play a little better than some are expecting. Both teams should score plenty though.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 07:22 AM
If anybody thinks this one is not typically close, take a look .

http://www.diaafootball.com/vt000413000280.html

Last twenty years FU is 10-9-1
Average FU Score 21 Average ASU score 19

This year FU in a close one. 34-31

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
And let's hope the trend of the team playing the best football before this game loses. :D

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Appalachian State Travels to Furman
David Coulson, I-AA.org senior columnist
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72968

The No. 16 ranked Mountaineers and the No. 6 Paladins meet in what has become one of I-AA's craziest rivalries. ...

Overall, Furman leads the series 12-10-1.

One small correction. Furman leads the series 20-11-3.
A very good article, just one small bookkeeping problem. Other than than, good read.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Last 20 years? Personally prefer to talk about the last 10 years. ASU 6-4.
Avg score: ASU 22.3 Fur 21.9

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
One small correction. Furman leads the series 20-11-3.
A very good article, just one small bookkeeping problem. Other than than, good read.

The 12-10-1 evidently came from the Furman section of SoCon media guide which shows only the record and games since 1982.
Furman racked up on App the first 10 years in the SoCon as ASU was transitioning from NAIA and to the level of play in the SoCon, etc.

Saint3333
October 7th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I think they were joking about the allotment Furman typically gives ASU...

We'll be at least 2K strong on Saturday, maybe more if the weather looks better.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 08:30 AM
The 12-10-1 evidently came from the Furman section of SoCon media guide which shows only the record and games since 1982.
Furman racked up on App the first 10 years in the SoCon as ASU was transitioning from NAIA and to the level of play in the SoCon, etc.

Whatever, it is still 20-11-3 for the entire series and 0-3 three for the last three friggin' years :rolleyes:

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM

We'll be at least 2K strong on Saturday, maybe more if the weather looks better.

I hope you bring that or more. Let's hope Tammy gets out of here by then.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Whatever, it is still 20-11-3 for the entire series and 0-3 three for the last three friggin' years :rolleyes:

I don't think the last 3 years is indicative any more than the FIRST 10 year period is. The last 3 were so close they could have gone either way and ASU was still developing in the 70's.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Still, for what ever reason, ASU holds the attendance record in Paladin Stadium.
I just hope the weather doesn't scare off many from App.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I don't think the last 3 years is indicative any more than the FIRST 10 year period is. The last 3 were so close they could have gone either way and ASU was still developing in the 70's.

The overall record was not stated as an indicator. It is a fact. If the story had said 20-12 since 82 then that would have been fact. It didn't.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Still, for what ever reason, ASU holds the attendance record in Paladin Stadium.
I just hope the weather doesn't scare off many from App.

If it quits raining, should be a good crowd this time. Parents Day.

Let's hope we don't have to w(h)ine too much :D

Saint3333
October 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
http://www.diaafootball.com/vt000280000413.html

Appalachian State v Furman Since 1973

10/09/2004 30-29 W
10/11/2003 13-10 W
10/12/2002 16-15 W
10/06/2001 22-28 L
10/07/2000 18-17 W
10/09/1999 21-35 L
10/10/1998 26-13 W
10/11/1997 22-24 L
10/12/1996 14-20 L
10/07/1995 41-28 W
10/08/1994 30-6 W
10/09/1993 21-27 L
10/24/1992 13-16 L
10/19/1991 26-23 W
10/13/1990 7-30 L
10/14/1989 6-31 L
10/15/1988 9-24 L
10/17/1987 16-8 W
10/25/1986 17-17 T
10/26/1985 7-21 L
10/20/1984 21-14 W
10/22/1983 0-49 L
09/18/1982 21-27 L
10/10/1981 18-22 L
10/25/1980 20-21 L
10/20/1979 17-31 L
09/30/1978 34-52 L
10/22/1977 20-28 L
10/09/1976 14-14 T
09/27/1975 23-30 L
11/02/1974 27-3 W
09/15/1973 0-17 L

Furman also holds the record at Kidd Brewer for attendance at over 25K for Homecoming one year. That record will likely fall this year if the weather is nice for homecoming.

Cincy App
October 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I think Furman's defense may play a little better than some are expecting.

I think both defenses will play better than most are expecting. I predicted an ASU win by 30-24 on the MMB but I wouldn't be surprised if less points are scored in the game.

I expect Furman to play its best game defensively tomorrow. Furman has struggled defensively to date but ASU's run offense is still inconsistent. On the flip side, I believe that Hunter, Lynch and Murrell will make life difficult for Furman's potent offense. Both teams will have solid "total offense" but we'll see if it's between the 20's or whether either team will regularly reach paydirt.

Should be another great game - can't wait until tomorrow!

BlackSaturday
October 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Apps 28
Purple Pals 24

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I think both defenses will play better than most are expecting. I predicted an ASU win by 30-24 on the MMB but I wouldn't be surprised if less points are scored in the game.

I expect Furman to play its best game defensively tomorrow. Furman has struggled defensively to date but ASU's run offense is still inconsistent. On the flip side, I believe that Hunter, Lynch and Murrell will make life difficult for Furman's potent offense. Both teams will have solid "total offense" but we'll see if it's between the 20's or whether either team will regularly reach paydirt.

Should be another great game - can't wait until tomorrow!

"Struggled defensively to date"
To date. Yes, if you don't count the Gardner-Webb game (and should we? :D ). As I learned the hard way on another site, Furman all but shut down Gardner-Webb with the First D. All but 10 pts were scored vs Furman's Second D.
Still worried about App's run defense vs Furman's running game.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
The overall record was not stated as an indicator. It is a fact. If the story had said 20-12 since 82 then that would have been fact. It didn't.

I was just stating where the writer obviously got the record.

As to the indicator, I was just injecting that in response to the past 3 yr record, and adding that the past 10 looks better than including the formative years for App. Just trying to save face a little for App.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I was just stating where the writer obviously got the record.

As to the indicator, I was just injecting that in response to the past 3 yr record, and adding that the past 10 looks better than including the formative years for App. Just trying to save face a little for App.

Understand. Forgive me. We are only 25.5 hours from game time :D

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Understand. Forgive me. We are only 25.5 hours from game time :D

Nope. :) You have no reason to be edgy. You're ranked much higher. You have the revenge advantage. Playing on your home field where you're 12-4-1 vs App. etc etc

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Nope. :) You have no reason to be edgy. You're ranked much higher. You have the revenge advantage. Playing on your home field where you're 12-4-1 vs App. etc etc

Yeah, Sure, Hhhmm, hhhmmm,

It is in the bag.

Making the short drive from the Queen City?

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Sure, Hhhmm, hhhmmm,

It is in the bag.

Making the short drive from the Queen City?

Wish I were. Going to a Rolling Stones concert with my woman.
Much rather watch Fur-App in the rain than the "Stoned" in the rain.

But I'll be listening (and probably cursing) on the way. Hopefully I can tape the TV version.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Wish I were. Going to a Rolling Stones concert with my woman.
Much rather watch Fur-App in the rain than the "Stoned" in the rain.

But I'll be listening (and probably cursing) on the way. Hopefully I can tape the TV version.

Sorry about that. Seen the Stone?. Everyone needs to see them at least once. So if you have not seen them, it is worth it. If you have seen them, you should be at the game.

jbuggASU
October 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Its going to be a close one as always but my boy Richie will come through.............. App 28 FU 24.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Sorry about that. Seen the Stone?. Everyone needs to see them at least once. So if you have not seen them, it is worth it. If you have seen them, you should be at the game.

Never did. But to me The Eagles are worth 10X the exbortitant price of the Stones. I've seen them 3X.

I think 90% of the reason we going is that my fiance has never seen them. For me, I think I'll enjoy listening to my Eagles CD on the way home more. :cool:
Still looking forward to seeing them anyway. Heck, I'd hate to see Mick & Keith run out of drug money.

rokamortis
October 7th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Well - no matter how much it pains me to say it and might upset my Furman friends - I hope ASU wins. I hope they roll the SoCon. Just looking out for our best interests.

ngineer
October 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
As much as I like Martin, my gut tells me App.St. pulls this one out 34-31.

GreatAppSt
October 7th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I have a prediction but it's not a score. Unfortunately I believe this game will be decided by the striped team form Spartenburg. If history holds true we will have a lot of holding called on ASUs D in third and long situations that sustain Furmie drives. And many magical holding flags will appear on our O after plays of ten or more yds. Furmie will have very few O holding penalties called. Makes me sick every time we play these guys.

thirdgendin
October 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I have a prediction but it's not a score. Unfortunately I believe this game will be decided by the striped team form Spartenburg. If history holds true we will have a lot of holding called on ASUs D in third and long situations that sustain Furmie drives. And many magical holding flags will appear on our O after plays of ten or more yds. Furmie will have very few O holding penalties called. Makes me sick every time we play these guys.

Once again, the SoCon's conspiracy against ASU rears its head. :bang:

fuEMO
October 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
what a sucker punch… Great App!

You need to qualify your concern. Coming in to this game APP is averaging 100 yards in penalties per game.

And if this game is a close one. I want the ball in Ingle's hands at the end. The dude is cold as ice.

AppGuy04
October 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM

as a fellow App fan, you disgust me, the play on the field is what it is, if they commit the penalties then they do, if furman holds, they will be called

also, as an NC State fan, I understand both of my teams are penalty prone, but only the players can fix that

we have obviously won with those penalties and handily at times, so if we eliminate them, the sky is the limit.........lets be positive

GreatAppSt
October 9th, 2005, 12:12 AM
as a fellow App fan, you disgust me, the play on the field is what it is, if they commit the penalties then they do, if furman holds, they will be called

also, as an NC State fan, I understand both of my teams are penalty prone, but only the players can fix that

we have obviously won with those penalties and handily at times, so if we eliminate them, the sky is the limit.........lets be positive

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Watch game tapes of the last five games. you may learn somthing. Take your one month thirty four post disgust elsewhere pal. It's not just ASU fans who question officiating when it comes to FU.

Anyway, good game Paladins enjoy :)

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Why bitch about something you can't change? Thats my point.

Anyways, that was the game of the year thus far, win or lose. Next week will dtermine alot though.

Saint3333
October 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
It was a very questionable call to keep the drive alive. I would have liked to see a no call and let the players decide the outcome. I've never seen a DB look back for the ball bat the ball down and get an interference call.

Furman played a great game and I was impressed with the Apps fan starting to travel like we used to. Next week GSU for the SoCon Championship.

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I deserve an "atta boy" :D

rokamortis
October 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I deserve an "atta boy" :D

Can I get you to help me pick my powerball numbers? Congrats on the win!

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Can I get you to help me pick my powerball numbers? Congrats on the win!

Yep, but I can only give you two numbers :D

asu70
October 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM
If you love a great football game, you have to consider yourself lucky to be an App or FU fan because you know your going to at least see one great game every year. Congrats to all Furman fans on a great win!

youwouldno
October 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
It was a very questionable call to keep the drive alive. I would have liked to see a no call and let the players decide the outcome. I've never seen a DB look back for the ball bat the ball down and get an interference call.

Furman played a great game and I was impressed with the Apps fan starting to travel like we used to. Next week GSU for the SoCon Championship.

lol

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
If you love a great football game, you have to consider yourself lucky to be an App or FU fan because you know your going to at least see one great game every year. Congrats to all Furman fans on a great win!

Thanks and you are appsolutely correct.

Yep bad pun. :) It was a nail biter as usual.

Saint3333
October 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Which part did you find funny? I hope it wasn't the last line, I predict Furman leaves Statesboro with 2 conference losses.

youwouldno
October 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Which part did you find funny? I hope it wasn't the last line, I predict Furman leaves Statesboro with 2 conference losses.

Well your statement was just factually incorrect. I could care less what you "predict," if GSU beats App, App will have 2 conference losses and the FU-GSU game will probably be for the SoCon title. GSU lost to Wofford, if you'll recall.

However, even if App wins, the App-GSU game STILL wouldn't be for the SoCon title, because if Furman beats GSU both App and FU have 1 conference loss and FU has the tiebreaker.

So, unless Furman has a 0% chance of beating GSU, which is an argument I would expect from some App fans but is nonetheless erroneous, the App St.-GSU is not in any way for the SoCon title. Not even close.

Therein lay the humor-- an App fan acting like Furman sucks. If we suck, then GSU is going to roll you over, and the SoCon is all but decided.

Saint3333
October 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Trust me I know Wofford beat GSU, I know Furman has the tiebreaker over ASU, I guess you think you're the only one privy to this knowledge.

Your logic is sound, however I believe this weekend's game will decide the SoCon championship, as the winner will go on to win the SoCon. Remember the remainder of GSU's and ASU's SoCon schedule favors these two teams.

No one is saying Furman sucks I've posted on other boards that Furman has an excellent team, but the games in the boro. When's the last time they lost two home games in one year?

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't think GSU's defense is up to its usual standards. As such, I think the Paladins can put up enough points that GSU will have to execute their offense well to win. Certainly they've looked good in the last few games.

When we have the ball, though, only 1 of their defensive starters is bigger than Felton, so if Martin and our RBs have good games GSU will have a hard time stopping us.

Eagle22
October 10th, 2005, 01:06 AM
When's the last time they lost two home games in one year?

2002 was the last time.

Wofford (2nd game regular season)
WKU (Semifinals)

Last time we had two regular season home losses, was 1996. That year, we actually lost three at home (Marshall, ASU and ETSU)

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM
two runnings team that can't stop the run either, I say its a high scoring game

however, ingle showed me he can actually play against App with like 250 through the air, so we'll see

i agree with both of you

quite possibly, the asu-gsu game could be the winner of the socon, but then again, so could the gsu-furman game, who knows, only time will tell, either way, i'm glad to have the 3 powerhouses back at the top of the socon, too bad that 1 will probably get left out of the playoffs most likely

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Trust me I know Wofford beat GSU, I know Furman has the tiebreaker over ASU, I guess you think you're the only one privy to this knowledge.

Your logic is sound, however I believe this weekend's game will decide the SoCon championship, as the winner will go on to win the SoCon. Remember the remainder of GSU's and ASU's SoCon schedule favors these two teams.

No one is saying Furman sucks I've posted on other boards that Furman has an excellent team, but the games in the boro. When's the last time they lost two home games in one year?

Furman has 3 weeks plus an open date practice week to prepare for Georgia Southern. They may need it. GSU beat the team by 38 that beat Furman by 20. (WCU) Which makes Saturday's App game vs GSU even scarier.

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
There's no transitive property in football.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Furman has 3 weeks plus an open date practice week to prepare for Georgia Southern. They may need it. GSU beat the team by 38 that beat Furman by 20. (WCU) Which makes Saturday's App game vs GSU even scarier.

Different times in the season and different types of offense. Western played us well but 6 or 7 turnovers make a lot of difference. How much do you think ASU would have won by if FU had turned it over 7 times?

Saint3333
October 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM
If they would have only turned it over once, what might have been.

It's very rare for there to be zero turnovers in a game, hats off to both teams for holding on to the ball.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
If they would have only turned it over once, what might have been.

It's very rare for there to be zero turnovers in a game, hats off to both teams for holding on to the ball.

I am still amazed. FU has had turnover-itis all year. We picked a good game to have zero. Even more amazing that neither team had one.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
There's no transitive property in football.

Keep telling yourself that. While you're at it, bet against the oddsmakers who do believe there is (especially when key injuries, home field, extreme field conditions, significant point margins are factored in).
However, the Furman poster hit the nail on the head when he said "different times of the year".
This Furman team at mid season is much different than the one as the season opened. And Western wouldn't have had their way with the Dins in Greenville.

Oddsmakers are smart enough to throw out the insignificant 1,2, 3 pt margins, though, when making comparisons.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I am still amazed. FU has had turnover-itis all year. We picked a good game to have zero. Even more amazing that neither team had one.

i think whats more amazing is richie's interception drought. he hasn't thrown one since the western game last year, and he started the furman game 11 for 11, i thought we were gonna have another 40-45 performance

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Actually I do bet against the oddsmakers (i.e. computers), and I'm making a lot of money in the process. But that's not the issue here. Football is about matchups... having X amount of talent/skill is only valuable if it can be properly leveraged against the opposition.

I look very carefully at previous scores when determining which bets to place. But I also know when some scores are not really informative, such as the FU-WCU game (yes, if you pick Martin off 5 times, you will win... surprise). I also look at the type of game a team plays... GSU, when they're rolling, tend to blow inferior teams out by dominating time of possession and putting up lots of points in the process.

The point is that football isn't transitive because you have to account for the nature of the matchup. A team's results (score included) tells me about that team, but not necessarily about how they will do against a new opponent.

GSU 54
ASU 7

ASU 30
FU 29

FU 29
GSU 22

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM
If it is transitive then El Cid should be one of the top teams since ...

El Cid beat Western Carolina who beat top 25 Furman who beat top 25 ASU who beat top 25 CCU who beat top 25 JMU.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
They also got dominated by ASU...

I think WCU's win over Furman is looking more like a fluke with all those turnovers. I've seen Citadel and they aren't a SoCon champion contender.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM
i think whats more amazing is richie's interception drought. he hasn't thrown one since the western game last year, and he started the furman game 11 for 11, i thought we were gonna have another 40-45 performance

Well now that the game is over we can pat each other on the back a little. Richie is a hellava qb.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=youwouldno]Actually I do bet against the oddsmakers (i.e. computers), and I'm making a lot of money in the process. But that's not the issue here. Football is about matchups... having X amount of talent/skill is only valuable if it can be properly leveraged against the opposition.

You go against the oddsmakers in the long run, and you'll be in a soup line somewhere.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
If it is transitive then El Cid should be one of the top teams since ...

El Cid beat Western Carolina who beat top 25 Furman who beat top 25 ASU who beat top 25 CCU who beat top 25 JMU.

You need badly to re-read the post.

Close margins, home field advantages, adverse weather/field conditions, etc have to be thrown out (and toss in rivalries). Plus any idiot would know you can't take the "common opponet" margins, even if large, on long string predictions.
Your string above was blown right off the bat :mad: as ASU had Coastal at home, while ASU played at Furman. Not to mention the "close margin" factor of the ASU-Furman game. 3 pts..last 30 seconds.

And as one post mentioned, just the fact that WCU caught Furman at the beginning of the season vs a more mature, more less error-prone mid season Furman/App match-up, has to be considered by anyone with a brain.

OL FU
October 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Close margins, home field advantages, adverse weather/field conditions, etc have to be thrown out (and toss in rivalries). Plus any idiot would know you can't take the "common opponet" margins, even if large, on long string predictions.
Your string above was blown right off the bat :mad: as ASU had Coastal at home, while ASU played at Furman. Not to mention the "close margin" factor of the ASU-Furman game. 3 pts..last 30 seconds.

And as one post mentioned, just the fact that WCU caught Furman at the beginning of the season vs a more mature, more less error-prone mid season Furman/App match-up, has to be considered by anyone with a brain.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess the Rolling Stones concert was worse than predicted

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Actually I do bet against the oddsmakers (i.e. computers), and I'm making a lot of money in the process. But that's not the issue here. Football is about matchups... having X amount of talent/skill is only valuable if it can be properly leveraged against the opposition.

I look very carefully at previous scores when determining which bets to place. But I also know when some scores are not really informative, such as the FU-WCU game (yes, if you pick Martin off 5 times, you will win... surprise). I also look at the type of game a team plays... GSU, when they're rolling, tend to blow inferior teams out by dominating time of possession and putting up lots of points in the process.

The point is that football isn't transitive because you have to account for the nature of the matchup. A team's results (score included) tells me about that team, but not necessarily about how they will do against a new opponent.

GSU 54
ASU 7

ASU 30
FU 29

FU 29
GSU 22

The ASU win over Furman would be thrown out right off the bat because of the 1 pt margin. ASU's 1 pt win showed no clear superiority over Furman to say the least.
In addition, ASU was at Statesboro. Furman at ASU. Thus the ASU/Fur outcome had little to do in any prediction of GSU-Fur.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 12:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess the Rolling Stones concert was worse than predicted

On the contrary. Absolutely enjoyed the concert. Well worth the money!

The Furman-App game came out like I thought it would. I really did not think that ASU would come within 3 of Furman, though. Neither did the pollsters, I imagine, otherwise, they wouldn't have not had the two teams 10 spots apart (as I mentioned on several posts prior to the game.)
Had App even won by a point, it would have to have been considered a true upset.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Wellllllllllllll excuuuuussssssse meeeeeeeeeee :D

It all comes down to Ws. Not how many points you lost by. Not how many seconds until the game was over when the lead changed. Not the weather. It is all about the Ws baby.

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=youwouldno]Actually I do bet against the oddsmakers (i.e. computers), and I'm making a lot of money in the process. But that's not the issue here. Football is about matchups... having X amount of talent/skill is only valuable if it can be properly leveraged against the opposition.

You go against the oddsmakers in the long run, and you'll be in a soup line somewhere.

Wrong. I-AA lines are poorly drawn up because there is little at stake for the sportsbook. It's not really "against" anyone either-- spreads are intended to foster betting. The sportsbook is mainly in it for the juice, and the occasional luck like the Duke 3 pointer a couple years ago to close the margin of loss.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=I-AA 2005]

Wrong. I-AA lines are poorly drawn up because there is little at stake for the sportsbook. It's not really "against" anyone either-- spreads are intended to foster betting. The sportsbook is mainly in it for the juice, and the occasional luck like the Duke 3 pointer a couple years ago to close the margin of loss.

Hell, I was talking about football in general, not just I-AA.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Wellllllllllllll excuuuuussssssse meeeeeeeeeee :D

It all comes down to Ws. Not how many points you lost by. Not how many seconds until the game was over when the lead changed. Not the weather. It is all about the Ws baby.

You're right, which is why everybody should play pussies like Mansfield and not real teams like Furman.
But when you played App you got neither the win NOR the points, BABY!! :D
Furman would have scalded your butts Saturday. :p

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM
You're right, which is why everybody should play pussies like Mansfield and not real teams like Furman.

Let me rephrase.

It is about quality wins not quality losses. We already found out last year what a weak schedule will do - now we have a much stronger schedule with a couple of quality wins, let's see if it helps.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Let me rephrase.

It is about quality wins not quality losses. We already found out last year what a weak schedule will do - now we have a much stronger schedule with a couple of quality wins, let's see if it helps.
Yep, 2 or 3 games stronger with the rest still a bunch of pussies. When you played Elon, you played the worst SoCon team. When you played App, you only played maybe the third best of the SoCon. Think what Furman and GSU would do to those bony chickns like two weeks in a row!

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Let me rephrase.

You've got exactly ONE quality win. :rolleyes:

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
You've got exactly ONE quality win. :rolleyes:

Come on now - we all know SC State is a quality team too.

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
The problem of having an easy schedule is that it's hard to say if an early win is a fluke. SC St. is decent but they aren't that great (and CCU won by 1); basically, CCU upset JMU and now we are supposed to base our evaluation of CCU on that game alone?

A Big South team that wants in the playoffs should not be playing Mansfield and Savannah State OOC. CCU beat Elon, the worst team in the SoCon, but frankly of the other 7, CCU would have little chance against 3 and would have tough games against the other 4.

Sure, the Chants schedule is "better." "Very easy" is better than "complete joke," but it's still very easy.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM
The problem of having an easy schedule is that it's hard to say if an early win is a fluke. SC St. is decent but they aren't that great (and CCU won by 1); basically, CCU upset JMU and now we are supposed to base our evaluation of CCU on that game alone?

A Big South team that wants in the playoffs should not be playing Mansfield and Savannah State OOC. CCU beat Elon, the worst team in the SoCon, but frankly of the other 7, CCU would have little chance against 3 and would have tough games against the other 4.

Sure, the Chants schedule is "better." "Very easy" is better than "complete joke," but it's still very easy.

CCU beat 2 top 25 teams - no matter how you try to spin it that is a fact. I'm not saying that CCU is great or anything like that but we have demonstrated that we can play with stiff competition.

I agree about Mansfield - but SCSU was scheduled before we ever played a game. Don't forget that we are only in our third year of playing football.

youwouldno
October 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Demonstrating you can play stiffer competition and getting a playoff bid are different animals.

I agree CCU is doing well for a young program. I disagree with ranking them super high because of 1 big win, 1 decent win, and a bunch of easy wins. I have them ranked but at the end of the day, the Chants record will be a product of their competition more than the quality of the team.

In fairness, CCU wants in the SoCon, which would provide real competition (as Elon has learned the hard way). But if and until that happens, the OOC scheduling should be taken up another notch or three.

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Paraphrasing here:

Year: 2004'
Crowd: "10-1 don't really mean **** with that schedule. If you want to make the playoffs, schedule a few quality teams and beat them".

Year: 2005' ...CCU schedules a few quality teams
Crowd: "That's more like it. Now go 10-1 with that schedule and your in".

Mid year 2005: CCU is well on their way to 10-1
Crowd: "We were just f'in with ya...your schedule really aint tough enough. You gotta join a kickass conference...like the SoCon. But we don't want you".

:nod: :nod: :nod:

A whole bunch of double talking and backtracking going on here. :eek:

SoCon48
October 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Amen. :cool: