PDA

View Full Version : 3-way battle for quarterback at WSSU

raginram
April 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/mar/30/3-way-battle-for-quarterback-at-wssu/?sports-college-team-pages-winstonsalem-state

The three candidates -- junior Jarrett Dunston, sophomore Brian Wynn and freshman Tienne Jefferson -- all had their good and bad moments during the 14 practices that were spread out during the past three weeks.

"I really don't want to put one in front of the other," Blount said yesterday. "I really thought all three of them threw the ball very well and they had real good springs. I would have to toss a coin to see who it would be. I guess if we had a game we would play all three of them."

With Monte Purvis exhausting his eligibility, the Rams are starting over at quarterback. Purvis was a three-year starter who was a double threat to run or pass, something that came in handy in the spread offense the Rams used last season.

slostang
April 26th, 2008, 11:32 PM
So who do you think will be the stater?

raginram
April 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I prefer moblie QBs but Branden hasnt even enrolled so I really dont know as of now. My gut feeling is saying it will be the junior Dunston since hes had a year learning the plays from the sidelines. Its going to be intresting to see the new offense without Monte. If Monte was under pressure (since he was on most of the passing plays) he would use his feet to either gain yards or give enough time for a receiver to be open.

rjg129
April 27th, 2008, 03:29 AM
well hopefully whoever the starter is will give S U some semblance of a passing game...I hope Blount has been working the O-line in pass blocking, sometimes it was just painfull to watch

slostang
April 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I prefer moblie QBs but Branden hasnt even enrolled so I really dont know as of now. My gut feeling is saying it will be the junior Dunston since hes had a year learning the plays from the sidelines. Its going to be intresting to see the new offense without Monte. If Monte was under pressure (since he was on most of the passing plays) he would use his feet to either gain yards or give enough time for a receiver to be open.

What kind of season are you expecting in 08? Does WSSU have a lot of returning starters.

raginram
April 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
What kind of season are you expecting in 08? Does WSSU have a lot of returning starters.

We return 13 starters on both offense and defense. We lost our QB, Running Back, a couple of o-linemen but our biggest lost is on defense where we lost most of the D-line. I expect a rebuliding year but our Schedule is favorable for another 6-5 record.

slostang
April 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Good luck in 2008.

gr8ness97
April 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
WSSU is a power run team, and has RB experience. I think the starter will be Jefferson, IMO. I want to see Branden Williams in action, as I like what im hearing about him so far...