PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Gridiron Classic

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Do not think I caught this anywhere, but what is the future of the Gridiron Classic? Will the Pioneer League push to stay in the game and play the "leftovers" from the NEC?

Seems the NEC is going to be soon "jumping" out of their league as they continue to upgrade on scholarships and money put into football (as they put their programs in position to do some damage in the playoffs).

Perhaps the Pioneer as it grows could split into divisions, limit cross-over play and the Gridiron Classic can be a championship game? Not sure, but it seems the Pioneer will continue to grow here over the next few years and we may see more non-scholarship teams get into the swing of things (I hope, especially in the West)...

aceinthehole
April 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Do not think I caught this anywhere, but what is the future of the Gridiron Classic? Will the Pioneer League push to stay in the game and play the "leftovers" from the NEC?

Seems the NEC is going to be soon "jumping" out of their league as they continue to upgrade on scholarships and money put into football (as they put their programs in position to do some damage in the playoffs).

Perhaps the Pioneer as it grows could split into divisions, limit cross-over play and the Gridiron Classic can be a championship game? Not sure, but it seems the Pioneer will continue to grow here over the next few years and we may see more non-scholarship teams get into the swing of things (I hope, especially in the West)...

According to the NEC Commish, the Gridiron Classic, matching the NEC and Pioneer League regular-season champions or second-place teams (should the champions make it into the FCS postseason) will be held for at least another two years. The NEC will host this year andthe PFL will host in 2009.

So while the NEC has "conditional access" in 2008 and 2009, nothing has really changed. The GIC will be played for 2 more years and if either a NEC or PFL champ is selected at a AQ or at-large then the 2nd place team will play.

I do not expect the GIC to be played in 2010 and beyond.

813Jag
April 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
IMO, it's going to go the way of the Heritage Bowl. Not much interest in see a runner up play a champ, in a champ vs. champ bowl.

Dane96
April 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Also doesnt help the NEC, if arguably, let's say Albany goes 10-1 with our killer OOC...and, using an example, the second place team such as CCSU with a solid OOC goes 9-2 (losing to one OOC and Albany).

You would have to think that NOW...a second place NEC team with upgraded schedules could have a shot at an at-large. Unlikely early on...but possible.

A GIC would kill this....the committee would have reason NOT to choose the second place team.

813Jag
April 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Also doesnt help the NEC, if arguably, let's say Albany goes 10-1 with our killer OOC...and, using an example, the second place team such as CCSU with a solid OOC goes 9-2 (losing to one OOC and Albany).

You would have to think that NOW...a second place NEC team with upgraded schedules could have a shot at an at-large. Unlikely early on...but possible.

A GIC would kill this....the committee would have reason NOT to choose the second place team.
That's the same problem that killed our bowl game with the MEAC, our champ would be playing the 3rd place MEAC team. People didn't want to travel to see that.