PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Reaction To Playoff Expansion?

UNHWildCats
April 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
:p poll coming one sec

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
There already is another thread with a poll. xrolleyesx

udchuck
April 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Please be advised the person who started this Poll is the giggling school Girl. LOL

SideLine Shooter
April 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Those second tier teams don't deserve a playoff berth.....xflaggedx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx

udchuck
April 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Those second tier teams don't deserve a playoff berth.....xflaggedx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx
If your referring to PFL schools as being second tier teams.then you must read this.These teams are NON Scolly teams.Their first (Tier ?) just might be their school grades.xthumbsupx

Pioneer Football League Announces Fall 2007 Academic Honor Roll
Related Material
2007 PFL Honor Roll (PDF)
ST. LOUIS, Mo. – A league record 358 student-athletes from eight member institutions were named to the Pioneer Football League Academic Honor Roll for the Fall 2007 semester.

Six member schools boasted 40 or more student-athletes on the honor roll this season. Dayton again led the way with 64 football student-athletes on the honor roll. Butler (49), Morehead State (46), San Diego (46), Valparaiso (43) and Drake (40) each also had 40-plus student-athletes on the honor roll during the fall semester.

Pioneer Football League athletic directors and coaches established the honor roll as a way to recognize the league’s outstanding student-athletes. The academic honor roll consists of student-athletes who participated in football at member institutions during the fall semester and posted a 3.0 grade-point average or higher while enrolled full-time in accordance with NCAA rules.xthumbsupx

clearthinker
April 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
If your referring to PFL schools as being second tier teams.then you must read this.These teams are NON Scolly teams.Their first (Tier ?) just might be their school grades.xthumbsupx

Pioneer Football League Announces Fall 2007 Academic Honor Roll
Related Material
2007 PFL Honor Roll (PDF)
ST. LOUIS, Mo. – A league record 358 student-athletes from eight member institutions were named to the Pioneer Football League Academic Honor Roll for the Fall 2007 semester.

Six member schools boasted 40 or more student-athletes on the honor roll this season. Dayton again led the way with 64 football student-athletes on the honor roll. Butler (49), Morehead State (46), San Diego (46), Valparaiso (43) and Drake (40) each also had 40-plus student-athletes on the honor roll during the fall semester.

Pioneer Football League athletic directors and coaches established the honor roll as a way to recognize the league’s outstanding student-athletes. The academic honor roll consists of student-athletes who participated in football at member institutions during the fall semester and posted a 3.0 grade-point average or higher while enrolled full-time in accordance with NCAA rules.xthumbsupx

BFD

EIGHT UNH TEAMS RECEIVE NCAA ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
04/25/2008
DURHAM, N.H.—The University of New Hampshire athletic department continues to excel nationally in both athletics and academics. UNH student-athletes were acknowledged this week as eight teams were honored publicly by the NCAA for their high academic achievement.

The awards are based on the NCAA’s latest multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores that were released on Thursday. These teams posted multiyear APR scores in the top 10 percent of all squads nationally in their respective sports. The public recognition awards are part of the broad Division I academic reform effort.

The eight UNH teams honored were men’s cross country, football, men’s soccer, men’s indoor track, men’s outdoor track, women’s cross country, women’s indoor track, and women’s outdoor track.

UNH, a member of the America East conference, was the leader in the league with eight programs honored. UNH football, a member of the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association) is among a select few Division I football programs receiving this recognition. The second-best America East Institution had four teams recognized.

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete. The APR includes eligibility, retention and graduation in the calculation and provides a clear picture of the academic culture in each sport. High-performing teams receiving awards posted APR scores ranging from 965 to a perfect 1,000.

Multiyear APR scores for all 6,110 Division I sports teams, including the teams receiving public recognition awards, will be announced Tuesday, May 6. The announcement also will include immediate and historical penalties for low-performing teams.

udchuck
April 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
BFD

04/25/2008
DURHAM, N.H.—The University of New Hampshire athletic department continues to excel nationally in both athletics and academics. UNH student-athletes were acknowledged this week as eight teams were honored publicly by the NCAA for their high academic achievement.

The awards are based on the NCAA’s latest multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores that were released on Thursday. These teams posted multiyear APR scores in the top 10 percent of all squads nationally in their respective sports. The public recognition awards are part of the broad Division I academic reform effort.

The eight UNH teams honored were men’s cross country, football, men’s soccer, men’s indoor track, men’s outdoor track, women’s cross country, women’s indoor track, and women’s outdoor track.

UNH, a member of the America East conference, was the leader in the league with eight programs honored. UNH football, a member of the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association) is among a select few Division I football programs receiving this recognition. The second-best America East Institution had four teams recognized.

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete. The APR includes eligibility, retention and graduation in the calculation and provides a clear picture of the academic culture in each sport. High-performing teams receiving awards posted APR scores ranging from 965 to a perfect 1,000.

Multiyear APR scores for all 6,110 Division I sports teams, including the teams receiving public recognition awards, will be announced Tuesday, May 6. The announcement also will include immediate and historical penalties for low-performing teams.

Impressive xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
April 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
BFD

04/25/2008

I'll stack Dayton's football academics up against UNH any day. Academically speaking, Dayton is typically among the top teams in the NCAA as is fellow PFL member Davidson!

As for the UNH information, right back at ya. BFD!!!!!xmadx

GannonFan
April 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I like the expansion - going to 18 teams wasn't going to be enough, and going to 24 was too many as you'd be close to having 6-5 teams make it in then. But 20, with the NEC and the Big South, both conferences that have scheduled well lately, is a good compromise. I'm not sure I like 12 teams getting byes, not sure if they could've worked it a little differently, but that's only a minor complaint. I like a 20 team setup.

And let's not forget, this now means the CAA has a legit shot to get 7 teams in if we can snare those two extra at large bids!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
No.

I look for the CAA to be unofficially capped at 6 with the Gateway looking to get 4-5 in each year and the SoCon 3-4.

GannonFan
April 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
No.

I look for the CAA to be unofficially capped at 6 with the Gateway looking to get 4-5 in each year and the SoCon 3-4.

People thought the CAA was unofficially capped at 4 before this past year. Unofficial caps are just a figment of some people's imaginations. Heck, you say the Gateway should be capped at 5 - why should the Gateway be capped at something more than 50% of the size of their conference and the CAA be capped at something less than 50%? When it comes down to it, if there are teams deserving of the playoffs, and if the rest of the nation breaks the right way, the CAA could get 7 in.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Just like the Big East will never get more than 8-9 teams into the the MBB tournament, no matter if they have fourteen 20 game winners.

GannonFan
April 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Just like the Big East will never get more than 8-9 teams into the the MBB tournament, no matter if they have fourteen 20 game winners.

Apples and oranges - the Big East has never had more than 9 teams you could really argue should make the tourney. Plus you're talking about a sport where there's 350 teams in DI - there are only about 100 or so FCS teams that can make the playoffs. Entirely different situation.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
If every comparison is apples to oranges then there is no place for message boards.

GannonFan
April 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
If every comparison is apples to oranges then there is no place for message boards.

Of course every comparison isn't apples to oranges. I can't help it that your Big East in basketball to CAA in football comparison wasn't a good one. You're welcome to come up with a better one. xthumbsupx

Eyes of Old Main
April 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry, Torero fan, the anti-PFL conspiracy rolls on... xlolx

udchuck
April 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry, Torero fan, the anti-PFL conspiracy rolls on... xlolx

You are probably right,as long as the idiots keep coming out from under their rocks there will be an anti-PFL conspiracy.xpeacex xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hey UDChuck:

That is one sweeeeeeet avatar. For those that do not now, that is Steve Vallentino. Remember that name as I predict a huge year for Tino!

UAalum72
April 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hey, does this mean the NEC teams can finally get ranked in Pete's Power Poll?xlolx xlolx xlolx

eaglesrthe1
April 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hey, does this mean the NEC teams can finally get ranked in Pete's Power Poll?xlolx xlolx xlolx

Guess so, and the league champ will start the season in the top 10!xrolleyesx

downbythebeach
April 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Pete's Power Poll:p

I shouldnt laugh cause I couldnt do any better