PDA

View Full Version : Yale Bowl restoration pictures

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.facilities.yale.edu/Projects/CurProjImages.asp?Path=F:\Facilities%20Web\Pub\ima ges\Projects\04090904\Construction\07.September.20 05\Week%201&strProjID=176

http://www.facilities.yale.edu/Projects/CurProjImages.asp?Path=F:\Facilities%20Web\Pub\ima ges\Projects\04090904\Construction\07.September.20 05\Week%203&strProjID=176

Harvard Worship
October 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Wow looks nice. But without all the crumbling walls and graffiti the Bowl is going to seem out of place in New Haven. (I kid, I kid). Seriously I wish Harvard would invest in benches. Sitting on the concrete is such an un-elitist thing to do. It's out of character.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Wow looks nice. But without all the crumbling walls and graffiti the Bowl is going to seem out of place in New Haven. (I kid, I kid). Seriously I wish Harvard would invest in benches. Sitting on the concrete is such an un-elitist thing to do. It's out of character.

Not only that, but you freeze your a## off sitting on the concrete in November. The best seats I ever had at Harvard were up between the columns. Not sure what they call that section but in Nov. you are out of the wind and sitting on wood. So what if the columns block your view once in a while.

P.S. The Bowl is barely in New Haven (right on the West Haven line) and in an pretty nice neighborhood. At least it was a nice area the last time I was there.

LBPop
October 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Looks impressive and it was sorely needed. Are there plans to do something about those dark, depressing tunnels? Good luck.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Looks impressive and it was sorely needed. Are there plans to do something about those dark, depressing tunnels? Good luck.

Not much you can do about the tunnels. That's the structure of the stadium and that's not being changed. I never found them depressing, but then again, I grew up there. It was always exciting for me entering a tunnel before a big game.

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Not only that, but you freeze your a## off sitting on the concrete in November. The best seats I ever had at Harvard were up between the columns. Not sure what they call that section but in Nov. you are out of the wind and sitting on wood. So what if the columns block your view once in a while.

P.S. The Bowl is barely in New Haven (right on the West Haven line) and in an pretty nice neighborhood. At least it was a nice area the last time I was there.

That section is called the "colonnade," bulldog, and many Harvard men (and women) have lost their virginity up there.

Looks like the Bowl is sprucing up. Looks like I won't be picking any more blue splinters out of my azz in the future!

HensRock
October 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM
It looks like they are replacing wood benches, with... wood benches.
Why not go aluminum or fiberglass? - something lower maintenance.

Engineer91
October 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Not much you can do about the tunnels. That's the structure of the stadium and that's not being changed. I never found them depressing, but then again, I grew up there. It was always exciting for me entering a tunnel before a big game.

Those dark tunnels were my favorite part. Really gives the feel of walking back into the history of football. Gave me a chill.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM
It looks like they are replacing wood benches, with... wood benches.
Why not go aluminum or fiberglass? - something lower maintenance.

They have a fetish about those wood seats. It's always mentioned in stories about the original construction how much wood was used, type of wood, etc.

Just look at the following from Yale's athletic web page:

""Bowl Seats Available as Memorabilia:

The wooden seats that are removed from the Yale Bowl as part of the ongoing restoration will be made available as a limited-edition collectible. Further information on this great gift idea is available by calling (203) 432-1434.""

Grande Rosso
October 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I read somewhere that it seats over 60,000, true?

What is average attendance these days?

Is seating being reduced due to lower attendance?

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I read somewhere that it seats over 60,000, true?

What is average attendance these days?

Is seating being reduced due to lower attendance?

Seats 64,000

They will get 10 to 20K for most games and 50k for Harvard.

Seating is staying the same. I think they are restoring it to as much of the original condition as possible.

YaleFootballFan
October 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM
""Bowl Seats Available as Memorabilia:

The wooden seats that are removed from the Yale Bowl as part of the ongoing restoration will be made available as a limited-edition collectible. Further information on this great gift idea is available by calling (203) 432-1434.""

Wow, between that and the New Haven Coliseum seats that the city wants to sell, it sure is a good time for people who collect this kind of stuff.

LET'S GO NIGHTHAWKS! :)

hvsader
October 6th, 2005, 09:50 PM
...I was there on Saturday. Trust me on this, they have a loooooong way to go. The area is an absolute mess, as its been for years. Nothing like tailgating in a dust bowl...you think they could pave a few of the roads around the area??

ngineer
October 6th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Great! Made my first trip to Harvard's last weekend and now we'll plan on being at the 'the bowl' on October 14 next year!

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 11:06 PM
.. Nothing like tailgating in a dust bowl

You were lucky. Usually in that area you are tailgating in a mud bowl.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM
LET'S GO NIGHTHAWKS! :)

LET"S GO BLADES! :)

That is if you remember the old New Haven Arena, which is also where I watched THE TIE (Yale-Harvard 1968) on closed circuit TV as well as the first Ali-Frazier fight.

89Hen
October 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Wow, makes the concrete at the Tub seem brand new. :eek:

YaleFootballFan
October 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM
LET"S GO BLADES! :)

That is if you remember the old New Haven Arena, which is also where I watched THE TIE (Yale-Harvard 1968) on closed circuit TV as well as the first Ali-Frazier fight.

The Blades are a little before my time, but as a life long New Haven hockey fan and former Coliseum season ticket holder, I'm very familiar with the history of the Blades and the Arena. Gotta love the old time hockey in the Arena....the smoke, the chicken wire, the brawls, the section 13 Zoo, etc....

Several members of my family were at the Arena watching '68 Tie. Several members of my family, including my father, were actually at The Game. They recall quite a bit of that afternoon, particularly the last 42 seconds. Years later I attended the 1993 Yale Football post-season banquet (the 25th Anniversary of The Tie) and I recall Coach Cozza saying "Everytime we go up to Harvard, those people always want to bring up that damn tie." I don't think he's ever gotten over it, even to this day. Who could blame him?

YaleFootballFan
October 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM
...I was there on Saturday. Trust me on this, they have a loooooong way to go. The area is an absolute mess, as its been for years. Nothing like tailgating in a dust bowl...you think they could pave a few of the roads around the area??

Give it time. They just started the renovation process just a few months ago. From what I hear, everything is supposed to be completed by the begining of next season. This is the first major renovation that the Bowl is going through in its 91 year history, and it's certainly long overdue.

bulldog10jw
October 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM
The Blades are a little before my time, but as a life long New Haven hockey fan and former Coliseum season ticket holder, I'm very familiar with the history of the Blades and the Arena. Gotta love the old time hockey in the Arena....the smoke, the chicken wire, the brawls, the section 13 Zoo, etc....

Several members of my family were at the Arena watching '68 Tie. Several members of my family, including my father, were actually at The Game. They recall quite a bit of that afternoon, particularly the last 42 seconds. Years later I attended the 1993 Yale Football post-season banquet (the 25th Anniversary of The Tie) and I recall Coach Cozza saying "Everytime we go up to Harvard, those people always want to bring up that damn tie." I don't think he's ever gotten over it, even to this day. Who could blame him?

Some of the best hockey games I saw in the Coliseum were the West Haven-Hamden games played there for a couple of years. If I remember correctly they outdrew the Nighthawks. A few Yale-Harvard hockey games (when Yale was fairly decent) were decent draws also.

They could have sold 100,000 tickets to the '68 game. Always thought it was too bad it wasn't Yale's turn to host. They had 68,000 in '67 at the Bowl and Harvard was merely, I think OK that year, not great.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I was at the Yale Bowl last October for the Lehigh game. It was a cool place to visit and see a game from. Yale does seem to draw pretty good despite their usual mediocrity, they had 18k for the Lehigh game. If they could ever get things going they could easily draw 20-25k a game. I would like of have added Harvard to the Ivy's i've visited but that didn't happen last weekend. I still have Cambridge, as well as Columbia and Dartmouth to get to.