View Full Version : Paulson Stadium - GSU

brad_gsu2011
April 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
So yea

i believe that it is time to add some more stands
to Paulson Stadium. Every game i go to the games
ppl are sitting on the grass, which is cool i guess, but
i feel that it would add to the atmosphere if
at least the endzone was filled in with stands.

And lets be honest. It would make the stadium
look a hell of alot better and more like a college
stadium than it does now.

feel free to discuss

ButlerGSU
April 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I think this discussion would be better at http://www.gsufans.com

gophoenix
April 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I think this discussion would be better at http://www.gsufans.com

I disagree, and many schools like Wake Forest do too, for now. Kids love the grass, especially when it is a hill and they have room to slide on cardboard and stuff.

ButlerGSU
April 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I disagree, and many schools like Wake Forest do too, for now. Kids love the grass, especially when it is a hill and they have room to slide on cardboard and stuff.

I don't have a position one way or another but I was just stating that I doubt many AGS posters really have an opinion on what Georgia Southern does with Paulson Stadium.

SideLine Shooter
April 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have a position one way or another but I was just stating that I doubt many AGS posters really have an opinion on what Georgia Southern does with Paulson Stadium.

GSU has a VERY NICE stadium. A lot of schools could take some lessons from GSU. The only time I have been there was the Van Gildo Dildo year and the crowd was probably not what they are use to. It was still a very hostile environment for the visiting team.

That being said it was still a great college football atmosphere and I look forward to going back hopefully this year. I imagine the place will be PACKED this year. GSU has probably the best fan following on the east coast in the FCS.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not saying we dont have a nice stadium. And i also believe that alot of people have no problem with sitting on the grass. I'm just saying that since we are looking into moving up to 1-A then we probably need to start upgrading. Even if it is only filling in the east endzone with stands that still leaves plenty of grass hill to sit on in the west endzone. It would just make the stadium that much nicer and probably make the crowd that much more hostile when the opposing team is trying to get in the endzone or kick a field goal on that side of the field.

appfan2008
April 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
before they put more stands in the end zone, put a second deck on a side! keep the grassy hills

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM
yea....
thats what the phasing plan is really

a second deck on the home side adding 10,000 more seats
and then a second on the away side, also 10,000 seats

there is also plans to fill in the east endzone with stands
that would also add 10,000 seats.

Also, if needed, plans are to add stands in the west endzone.
Again, adding 10,000 more seats.

But it just seems more reasonable to add the endzone stands
first before the upper decks. Especially considering that the
students sit on the away side.

Eaglesrus
April 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
yea....

?

Not necessarily diagreeing, just wondering why you think that?

ButlerGSU
April 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
When you walk past the new Bishop building at Paulson look at it from the side, the building has been built with a curve so that when that end is bowled in the walk way on the front will be the actual walk way on top of the stands.

Personally, I am also in favor of a deck on the student/visitors side but I know that the administration wants a new press box with additional luxury suites because of the waiting list for them and the amount of money they bring in.

ButlerGSU
April 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
GSU has a VERY NICE stadium. A lot of schools could take some lessons from GSU. The only time I have been there was the Van Gildo Dildo year and the crowd was probably not what they are use to. It was still a very hostile environment for the visiting team.

That being said it was still a great college football atmosphere and I look forward to going back hopefully this year. I imagine the place will be PACKED this year. GSU has probably the best fan following on the east coast in the FCS.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

xoutofrepx

Eaglesrus
April 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
yea....

?

Not necessarily diagreeing, just wondering why you think that?

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
i feel that because the plans call
for an upper deck to be added to
the home side first. It would give
a chance to add a new press box
but since the students sit on the
away side most would still sit on the
grass and would leave the upper deck
with alot of empty seats.

that is unless they start sitting the
students on the home side, but that
would take away alot of the chants
that we do.

that is why i feel adding the stands
in the endzone first would be a better
choice then an upper deck.

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=ButlerGSU;931142]When you walk past the new Bishop building at Paulson look at it from the side, the building has been built with a curve so that when that end is bowled in the walk way on the front will be the actual walk way on top of the stands.

Did not realize that. But its pretty smart to have that added in. Just in case it is needed.

Eaglesrus
April 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
i feel that because the plans call
for an upper deck to be added to
the home side first. It would give
a chance to add a new press box
but since the students sit on the
away side most would still sit on the
grass and would leave the upper deck
with alot of empty seats.

that is unless they start sitting the
students on the home side, but that
would take away alot of the chants
that we do.

that is why i feel adding the stands
in the endzone first would be a better
choice then an upper deck.

Okay. I didn't realize that many of the people sitting on the grass are students. I know a number of folks with smaller children that love to take the kids over to play on the banks, and I know that they aren't looking forward to the day when they will no longer be able to do that.

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
well im not saying that they have to close in
both endzones.
it would probably be smarter if they didnt.
they could close in one endzone and leave
the other open. that way those that want
to sit on the grass can and those that dont
can sit in the stands.

and the phasing plans actually call for
the west endzone to be closed in last
after both upper decks
and the east endzone stands.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
One thing you can say for PS is that it is one of the best stadiums out there for kids who either have no interest in football or do not have the attention span for the whole game. Show me another Division I stadium where there are kids playing catch and/or football under the scoreboard as well as on all of the corners of the stadium. It's a sight that is uniquely GSU. Unless we get to the point where the demand for tickets is exceeding the people we can accomodate, I see no reason to get rid of it.

The only problem I have with it is the fact that the student section is right behind the opposing teams bench and next to the opposing team's fans. We have a bad reputation for rude fans, and it is mostly because of this.

SideLine Shooter
April 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
One thing you can say for PS is that it is one of the best stadiums out there for kids who either have no interest in football or do not have the attention span for the whole game. Show me another Division I stadium where there are kids playing catch and/or football under the scoreboard as well as on all of the corners of the stadium. It's a sight that is uniquely GSU. Unless we get to the point where the demand for tickets is exceeding the people we can accomodate, I see no reason to get rid of it.

The only problem I have with it is the fact that the student section is right behind the opposing teams bench and next to the opposing team's fans. We have a bad reputation for rude fans, and it is mostly because of this.

Hey man, I haven't been to a stadium yet that the student section isn't rude, crude and nasty.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xnonox

I even have photos of the UTC student section all flipping me the bird. All 5 of them. The truthxeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xnonox

bobbythekidd
April 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
...the crowd was probably not what they are use to. It was still a very hostile environment for the visiting team.In a way that is a good thing, but it is not something I am personally proud of.

bobbythekidd
April 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM
But it just seems more reasonable to add the endzone standsfirst before the upper decks. Especially considering that the students sit on the away side.Brad, the rule of supply and demand deems that stands should be placed were they are needed, not where you might like them.

brad_gsu2011
April 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Brad, the rule of supply and demand deems that stands should be placed were they are needed, not where you might like them.

and i understand this. but what says that an upperdeck is needed more?
all phases that they have planned to add in add 10,000 seats. so either way
they go its going to add the same seats.

GSUjack
April 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hey man, I haven't been to a stadium yet that the student section isn't rude, crude and nasty.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xnonox

I even have photos of the UTC student section all flipping me the bird. All 5 of them. The truthxeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xnonox

xlmaox

GSUjack
April 25th, 2008, 01:05 AM

xlmaox
(i like the UTC comment)
I actually like having the student section behind the visiting team's bench and around the visitor's seats (even if the things happening there might be "rude or crude"); if it weren't for that, the rivalries might not be as strong as they are now (especially when App State or Furman come to town). Plus, it could give us a slight advantage... which is cool with me. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

tke504oa
April 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM
When I go to GSU to see a game I want to be yelled at and booed and etc. With my App gear if I dare enter the student section I want them to give me hell ( I do it anyway because it is fun).... That is the best part of a rivalry... Does anyone else think of Fight Club when they hear Paulson Stadium.... (his name is robert Paulson... His name is Robert Paulson)

bobbythekidd
April 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
and i understand this. but what says that an upperdeck is needed more?
all phases that they have planned to add in add 10,000 seats. so either way
they go its going to add the same seats.OK, Why add seats with an inferior veow of the feild? Why not add 10,000 between the 20s?

SideLine Shooter
April 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
xlmaox
(i like the UTC comment)
I actually like having the student section behind the visiting team's bench and around the visitor's seats (even if the things happening there might be "rude or crude"); if it weren't for that, the rivalries might not be as strong as they are now (especially when App State or Furman come to town). Plus, it could give us a slight advantage... which is cool with me. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

I didn't mean the rude and crude in a negative way. That is football, H.S., College, NFL. That is what makes it so much fun, who can leave the game with the win, the trophy. It is letting off steam. It is what makes me live for football season. No other sport is like this except maybe hockey. We live and die with our team, every week! xnodx xnodx xnodx

I have been shooting football for 40 years and it gets better every year. If I didn't have football 2,3, or 4 days a week in the fall they would have to go ahead and kill me because I wouldn't be worth a dam.xpeacex xpeacex

SideLine Shooter
April 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
In a way that is a good thing, but it is not something I am personally proud of.

You should be proud of that. We call that "home field advantage".xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
April 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
You should be proud of that. We call that "home field advantage".xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
Cussing and yelling at the other teams' fans is rude and crass. They should feel welcome at our tailgates, in lines for concessions, etc. Some good natured ribbing is expected.

The other team is another story.xnodx

gsugt1
April 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
It is my understanding we would bowl in the Bishop end first. It would tie into the stadium so you could walk from the Bishop building to either side.

SideLine Shooter
April 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Cussing and yelling at the other teams' fans is rude and crass. They should feel welcome at our tailgates, in lines for concessions, etc. Some good natured ribbing is expected.

The other team is another story.xnodx

I don't like cursing either. Nothing wrong with the good old fashioned ribbing. I like to talk to the other fans, break bread and beverage. That is what makes life good. We are all there for the same thing. Who takes the victory home just stands a little taller. Shake hands and enjoy the memories and friends you shared it with.xthumbsupx

brad_gsu2011
April 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM
http://http://www.gata.com/paulson1.jpg

this is the phasing plan

brad_gsu2011
April 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM
http://http://www.gata.com/paulson1.jpg

brad_gsu2011
April 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
i couldnt figure out how to put a pic
on here but here is a link to a pic
of the phasing plans for Paulson Stadium.

its about 3/4 the way down the page.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171&page=135

and if you will look at it carefully
the stadium is actually built wrong.
the stands that are there now are
supposed to extend past the endzone
but they stop at the goal line.

Eaglesrus
April 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
i couldnt figure out how to put a pic
on here but here is a link to a pic
of the phasing plans for Paulson Stadium.

its about 3/4 the way down the page.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171&page=135

and if you will look at it carefully
the stadium is actually built wrong.
the stands that are there now are
supposed to extend past the endzone
but they stop at the goal line.

Actually, in that diagram, if you look at the current seating areas it says phase 1 with 10,000 seats on each side, which we don't have now, meaning they would extend those out before adding decks or seats in the end zones.

brad_gsu2011
April 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Actually, in that diagram, if you look at the current seating areas it says phase 1 with 10,000 seats on each side, which we don't have now, meaning they would extend those out before adding decks or seats in the end zones.

thats pretty much what i was pointing out.

Eaglesrus
April 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
thats pretty much what i was pointing out.

You said that if you look at it "the stadium is actually built wrong". I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

brad_gsu2011
April 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
You said that if you look at it "the stadium is actually built wrong". I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

well the plans call for phase one to have 10,000 seats on both sides.
the way it was built is with 9,000. i'd say thats a big difference.
so even if they do add the other 1,000 on each side when they expand,
it doesnt change the fact that they didnt follow the plan.

Eaglesrus
April 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
well the plans call for phase one to have 10,000 seats on both sides.
the way it was built is with 9,000. i'd say thats a big difference.
so even if they do add the other 1,000 on each side when they expand,
it doesnt change the fact that they didnt follow the plan.

Okay here's my last stab; phase I doesn't refer to the original stadium as it's built, it refers to the first phase of expansion, i.e. the original will be expanded to 10,000 seats on each side, no that the original (current) stadium was to have 10,000 seats on each side.

brad_gsu2011
April 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Okay here's my last stab; phase I doesn't refer to the original stadium as it's built, it refers to the first phase of expansion, i.e. the original will be expanded to 10,000 seats on each side, no that the original (current) stadium was to have 10,000 seats on each side.

well see my problem with that is, why would they make an expansion phase only include 2,000 seats?
And why does the pic i posted earlier show phase one as the whole side
and not just the part that you say would actually be phase one?
in my opinion, phase one, as shown in the pic, means all 10,000 seats on both sides. not 9,000 and then add 2,000 later. If it meant that then it would show a distinction between the current seating and the 2,000 that would be later. Yet, it doesnt.
explination for that?

Eaglesrus
April 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, I said I'd taken my last shot but you asked a question so, first I would challenge your belief that we currently have 18,000 actual seats. this has been discussed at great length on a website cited in the first couple of responses to your original post. Here's one post related to the topic from the other website:

"In 1929 The University of Georgia opened 30,000 seat Sanford Stadium at a cost of $300,000. As most of you know there are striking similarities between Sanford then and Paulson now. The UGA has one of the most financially successful athletic departments in the nation. There is no reason why Georgia Southern cannot in time be just as successful on the next level. Thirty eight years later in 1967 Sanford was decked including a club level, and seating capacity rose to 59,000 at a cost of $ 3 million. I believe costs are all relative and there is no better time than the present to expand. In 1982 Sanford's East End Zone was enclosed adding 19,000 seats at a cost of $ 11 million. In 1991 4,205 seats were added to Sanford's West end at a cost of $3.7 million. Excluding the sky suits the next big expansion was 5,500 seats in 2003 on the upper deck at a cost of $ 25 million. So $ 4.7 million started a 14,500 to 18,000 or so seat (depending on who you ask) Paulson stadium in 1983/84 what would the relative cost in 2008/9 dollars be to expand Paulson to 20,000 by extending the sidelines to the back corners of the end zone, and then to deck one side to bring capacity to 30,000 by 2009/10. This stuff is doable. Expansion and movement into FBS could and should happen. It is over due in my opinion. The economy is always going to fluctuate. I think it is currently influenced partly by a politically biased media attempting to swing votes in an election year, so this so called recession may in fact be a phony recession, or blown up bigger than it should be otherwise. I think it is ignorable in the long term planning of a major move into a higher level of competition. Go Eagles."

Shortly thereafter a poster claimed to have done a count and said that we currently have more like 14,500 actual seats. As far as the rendering you pointed to and why the whole sections were shaded I can only say that it would be easier to do that than to shade four areas and print phase I, and would make no sense to write 10,000 seats in each one.

brad_gsu2011
April 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
ok,
this has gotten way out of topic.
lets go back to what i started this forum for
in the first place,
i started this to say that i think we should
start adding in more seats. And lets say we
do only have 14,500 seats at Paulson.
Because GSU is looking into moving up to
1-A we will HAVE to upgrade. The minimum
requirement for capacity is 17,500. And even
if we dont move up dont you think its time
to upgrade considering we are now bringing
in at least 10,000 more in attendance than
there are seats. Just sounds common sense to me.

As stated before,
Supply and Demand.

CID1990
April 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
You definitely should expand your stadium. That way, when you go to FBS, there will be somewhere for all those hordes of Kent State and Tennessee Tech fans to sit.