PDA

View Full Version : One and Done Against I-AAs says Texas AD

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM
This comes from the Chronicle's Big XII notebook. One and done says the AD as it relates to playing I-AA opponents in the future...

Most Big 12 coaches prefer scheduling non-conference opponents to help get the victories to qualify for a bowl appearance. The passing of NCAA legislation to add a 12th game this year has caused many teams to scramble to find an opponent to fill the date. For instance, Texas is in discussions to play a home non-conference game against Sam Houston State or another Division I-AA school in 2006.

"We'll do it one time and won't do it again," UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds said. "I don't think we'll ever find a time when we play a I-AA again if we do it this time."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3384340

NoCoDanny
October 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
That's good, they shouldn't. They aren't Nebraska.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Fraidy cat! :)

Nah, they just keep getting folks like ULM, ULL and North Texas among other Sun Belt schools who are willing to play them. Heck, Texas would play Tulane a home-and-home or two for one, just so their alums could visit New Orleans. They do it with Rice so they can play before their huge Houston alum base since Univ of Houston can't put together a big enough stadium for it...

PMB4Life
October 6th, 2005, 10:16 AM
"We'll do it one time and won't do it again," UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds said. "I don't think we'll ever find a time when we play a I-AA again if we do it this time."

But they WILL schedule UL-Lafayette? Methinks they are giving themselves undue credit.

PantherMan
October 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
But they WILL schedule UL-Lafayette? Methinks they are giving themselves undue credit.

No, they're just smart. Beating up on a *****ty IA program still holds a lot more merit for one reason or another than beating up on a decent IAA. That's the way things are, and probably won't change any time soon. Texas is a year in and year out national championship caliber team (minus the yearly slip-up in the Red River Shoot-out), and they do everything they can to stay in contention. What if Auburn had played a decent or even good IA team last season rather than playing The Citadel? Arguably another quality IA opponent COULD HAVE put Auburn in the Championship game and left Oklahoma to play VTech.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
FYI, Texas vs OU is no longer called the "Red River Shoot-out" anymore. It's the "Red River Rivalry". They've been cracking jokes about it here in Houston. I think it does with gun violence ala the Washington Bullets namechange...

Mr. C
October 6th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I guess a coach like Mack Brown of Texas has forgotten his I-AA roots. He was the Appalachian State head coach in 1983, with a win over I-A Wake Forest (27-25 in his first game).

arkstfan
October 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
The ever changing BCS formula makes it advantageous for the 5-10 schools that realistically think they have a shot at the 1-2 game to schedule all I-A.

Those also happen to be the schools that tend to be able to afford to buy a single shot I-A opponent in today's inflated game guarantee market without having to return a game.

Folks like Iowa State, Ole Miss, Virginia, Washington State will play more I-AA games.