PDA

View Full Version : YSU Spring Game Photos

I-AA Fan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Had a few celebrity alumni this year. New offense is interesting. Not much of a look at the defenses though. QB has not been chosen

I-AA Fan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
http://www.ysupenguins.com/2008%20Spring%20Game/

Uncle Buck
April 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Nice pics.

Was this played as a true gamelike atmosphere?

Hofstra was offense vs. defense using a poor scoring system that heavily favors the offense. In addition, i don't even think they used officials.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Nice pics.

Was this played as a true gamelike atmosphere?

Hofstra was offense vs. defense using a poor scoring system that heavily favors the offense. In addition, i don't even think they used officials.

If there aren't too many injuries at a single position, Towsons HC Combs has a team draft the night before the last practice before the game. Usually the starting QB and the RB get paired up with the others back up and draft their teams.

(I was the first pick in the 3rd round) xsmiley_wix

I-AA Fan
April 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
They use that multiple scoring system on the scrimmages, but the spring game is played straight through ...two 40-minute halves with no team time-outs.

The OC & DC select two HC's from the assistants, & then those two HC's split the seniors. Underclassmen are then drafted by the team seniors. The first person drafted is called "Mr. Important", and the last drafted is called "Mr. Irrelevant". They usually have the alumni weekend that same weekend & one of them is selected as honorary HC and will do the coin-toss. This year they honored Ron Jaworski ...that is him working with the new QB's, talking to others, and doing the coin toss.

A couple funny stories from the game for anyone older than their mid-30's. The players know "Jaws" played at YSU & that he works for ESPN, but never knew he spent 10 years in the NFL & was drafted. I feel old, as I saw him play at Youngstown. Also, his nickname at YSU was "the Polish Rifle", which Jaworski commented after the game that he had not been called that in years, because of political correctness. The announcer intentionally called him "the Polish Rifle" & it got a nice round of cheers from the crowd.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
They use that multiple scoring system on the scrimmages, but the spring game is played straight through ...two 40-minute halves with no team time-outs.

The OC & DC select two HC's from the assistants, & then those two HC's split the seniors. Underclassmen are then drafted by the team seniors. The first person drafted is called "Mr. Important", and the last drafted is called "Mr. Irrelevant". They usually have the alumni weekend that same weekend & one of them is selected as honorary HC and will do the coin-toss. This year they honored Ron Jaworski ...that is him working with the new QB's, talking to others, and doing the coin toss.

A couple funny stories from the game for anyone older than their mid-30's. The players know "Jaws" played at YSU & that he works for ESPN, but never knew he spent 10 years in the NFL & was drafted. I feel old, as I saw him play at Youngstown. Also, his nickname at YSU was "the Polish Rifle", which Jaworski commented after the game that he had not been called that in years, because of political correctness. The announcer intentionally called him "the Polish Rifle" & it got a nice round of cheers from the crowd.

Great story about Jaworski. I was a kid in NJ when Jaws was playing for the Eagles. But I didn't know he came from Youngstown! Very cool!