PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Spring Prospectus

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008FootballProspectus.pdf

Fordham
April 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Interesting that they have our PL join date as 1995, which is when I'm assuming we went all-sports, when in fact we've been an affiliate member of the PL since '90.

PLLB
April 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
patriot league should be an exciting race this year.

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Interesting that they have our PL join date as 1995, which is when I'm assuming we went all-sports, when in fact we've been an affiliate member of the PL since '90.

I believe you went all-sports in 1991 and changed out to affiliate in 1995.

Fordham
April 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I believe you went all-sports in 1991 and changed out to affiliate in 1995.
ah, yes. that's more accurate but I actually believe we were affiliate for football a year or two prior to going full sport. Just curious why we wouldn't have the original date in there since our involvement in the football conference has been continuous.

carney2
April 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
patriot league should be an exciting race this year.

Five in the hunt. One other quite soon to be recognized as - well, probably not a sleeping tiger, but certainly a cub with a dangerous future. And the seventh languishing and in desperate need of a complete makeover.

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
ah, yes. that's more accurate but I actually believe we were affiliate for football a year or two prior to going full sport. Just curious why we wouldn't have the original date in there since our involvement in the football conference has been continuous.

Football affiliate status began September 2, 1989 at Andy Kerr Stadium. Fordham faced Colgate in its first game. The Rams joined as a football affiliate a year early after Davidson withdrew as a PL affiliate member in early 1989.

DFW HOYA
April 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Would Davidson be welcomed back as an 8th school, given that no one seems to be in line at the door?

PLLB
April 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Five in the hunt. One other quite soon to be recognized as - well, probably not a sleeping tiger, but certainly a cub with a dangerous future. And the seventh languishing and in desperate need of a complete makeover.

IMO a three team race. Go with the returning quarterbacks in this league

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Seventh? Please don't speak ill of Lafayette like that... xlolx

LUHawker
April 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Would Davidson be welcomed back as an 8th school, given that no one seems to be in line at the door?

Rumor on the Voy board that the PL leadership has Rensalaer Polytechnic Institute on the short list. Recognizing that there are issues related to moving from DIII to DI, this seems like a great selection to me. Solid academics, right size (5500 I think), complementary geography (Troy, NY), could build some nice rivalries all-around, but particularly with HC and Colgate. Could bring some tradition and benefits to other sports (LAX and Hockey come to mind). Other than Richmond, this is the best fit that I've heard of.

letsgopards04
April 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
RPI has a pretty good DIII football team. I played high school ball with some of their players and they always get pretty good talent because of their academics and guys who want to stay close to home in the Albany area. Many guys on their roster could play at least a level up.

TheValleyRaider
April 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I would take RPI in the Patriot League yesterday xnodx

Franks Tanks
April 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I cant imagine Davidson spending the money to be competitive in the PL in football. They have been terrible in the PFL for years. Also is there any actual meat to this RPI stuff. Remember there is a moratorium on new Division I members until like 2012 I believe. So even if they were interested, which I doubt, it would be a long time before it happened.

Go...gate
April 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM

To quote another Colgate poster, I would take Davidson back yesterday.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.rpi.edu/campaign/newsletter/stadium.pdf

It sure *looks* like they could be moving up, based on these stadium upgrades....

...however, what do they give on an athletics level with the PL? Certainly not as much as Marist would have... and although RPI and Colgate could develop into a nice football rivalry, the truth is Colgate is miles better than they are and it might take a decade or more to get competitive.

Does the PL really want to engage in another all-sports rebuilding effort?

Go...gate
April 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM

It sure *looks* like they could be moving up, based on these stadium upgrades....

...however, what do they give on an athletics level with the PL? Certainly not as much as Marist would have... and although RPI and Colgate could develop into a nice football rivalry, the truth is Colgate is miles better than they are and it might take a decade or more to get competitive.

Academically, however, they seem to have more horsepower than Marist.

LBPop
April 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Whew! The geography would be a killer. I cannot imagine a road trip between Davidson and Colgate or Holy Cross. Does anyone in the PL ever fly?

crusader11
April 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Holy Cross flies when they play basketball in the DC area against Navy and American.

Pard4Life
April 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Wow that is nice... we should get them on board.... It's only 1:20 more than a trip to Marist anyhow... but I'd still like to see Marist in our league, and kick-out American for all-sports.

Of course, my amended dream football PL is:

Adams Division:
Colgate
Holy Cross
RPI
Fordham
Bucknell

Jefferson Division:
Lafayette
Lehigh
Villanova
Richmond
Johns Hopkins

gotribe
April 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know about the other sports, but Richmond would wear out that league in football.

Pard4Life
April 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I don't know about the other sports, but Richmond would wear out that league in football.

Maybe in 2008 yes, but in 2018 with the other schools having scholarships? I expect stone-stepping Clawson to be coaching the NY Giants by 2018 anyhow...

DFW HOYA
April 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Wow that is nice... we should get them on board.... It's only 1:20 more than a trip to Marist anyhow... but I'd still like to see Marist in our league, and kick-out American for all-sports.

Adams Division:
Colgate
Holy Cross
RPI
Fordham
Bucknell

Jefferson Division:
Lafayette
Lehigh
Villanova
Richmond
Johns Hopkins

Looks like American's not all your kicking out...xeyebrowx

LBPop
April 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Holy Cross flies when they play basketball in the DC area against Navy and American.

But flying a basketball team involves about 20 people (I'm guessing) and minimal equipment. Flying a football team involves about 75 people (again guessing) and a bunch of equipment. Can the northern PL schools afford that and can Davidson afford to fly two or three times a year? Just asking...I really don't have a clue.

Franks Tanks
April 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Funny because Lafayette beat Richmond in 04 and 05

letsgopards04
April 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Academically, however, they seem to have more horsepower than Marist.

Definately more academic horsepower. Both schools are popular destinations for my high school and the caliber of student is much much different.

ngineer
April 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Adams Division:
Colgate
Holy Cross
RPI
Fordham
Bucknell

Jefferson Division:
Lafayette
Lehigh
Villanova
Richmond
Johns Hopkins

Or how about Hamilton v. Madison??;)

LBPop
April 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Or how about Hamilton v. Madison??;)

Shucks, Madison wundn't on dat HBO show 'bout Adams, and we AGS'rs only know about histry that we learned on the TV. ;)

Pard4Life
April 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Looks like American's not all your kicking out...xeyebrowx

Oops... well, I will kick-out Richmond for Georgetown... knew I was forgetting someone.. we could use Hopkins for all-sports, especially lax.

LUHawker
April 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Funny because Lafayette beat Richmond in 04 and 05

And Lehigh took down the much higher ranked and favored Spiders in the PLAYOFFS in '98. It's a while back, but that is the last time they played - and it definitely counted.