PDA

View Full Version : URI Offense Changes

Cobblestone
April 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Some good changes coming to the URI offense this year. Hey MR.C! (the Stowers apologist) wanna red square my @$$ again? Go right ahead and tell me how I don't have a clue. The triple-option is gone and on third and short we can run something more logical than pitching the ball back five yards to our RB. THAT my friend is a FACT.

It'll take some time, since with the Stowers type offense our TE's seldom saw the ball but at least with Rizzi (and Griff back in town) we're headed in the right direction.

http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041808aaa.html

With the triple-option system the Rams used last season, the tight end was used primarily as a blocker or a decoy, not as a receiver. As a result, last season's starting tight end, sophomore Akil Chester, caught just two passes - one huge reception for 26 yards in an overtime win against No. 3 UMass, and another the following week at Maine. This spring, Chester has been moved to the defensive line, leaving Rizzi and Griffin with a group that does not have a single collegiate reception on their resume. That will change this season. "The tight end is not on the field every snap because of some of our packages, but we envision the tight end being out there for about half of the snaps, maybe more," explained Griffin. "It's extremely important for them to be blockers, as well as be able to catch the ball and advance it."

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a man who realizes that it's not the early 1900's, which was the time and place for the triple option.

dgreco
April 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a man who realizes that it's not the early 1900's, which was the time and place for the triple option.

triple option works great in the video games too.

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

Early 1900's xlolx. The triple option was brought to the college game by the legendary Darryl Royal in 1968. I do agree that it URI should get rid of it, but it is still a viable offense in certain situations. Navy would have not been as successful with a different offense.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Air Force has gone away from the TO.

Navy will too.

Eventually, there just won't be any TO high school kids to recruit. All the high schools will have stopped using it.

bobbythekidd
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
That didn't take long.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Army is rumored to be returning to the TO!

Did you know that the Delaware Wing T Offense is very prevalent in HS?

There will always be HS programs that don't have the big hogs on the line to run pro set offenses. They will continue to run the TO, the Wing T, the Veer, or something of that ilk. Especially in the Northeast where you have smaller enrollment HS playing football.

Hoyadestroya85
April 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I thought the option was exciting.. Wofford runs it well so did GSU.. i see no reason why teams are going away from it

813Jag
April 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Air Force has gone away from the TO.

Navy will too.

Eventually, there just won't be any TO high school kids to recruit. All the high schools will have stopped using it.
Do you know how many high schools in Florida still run the triple option? xconfusedx

813Jag
April 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Army is rumored to be returning to the TO!

Did you know that the Delaware Wing T Offense is very prevalent in HS?

There will always be HS programs that don't have the big hogs on the line to run pro set offenses. They will continue to run the TO, the Wing T, the Veer, or something of that ilk. Especially in the Northeast where you have smaller enrollment HS playing football.
Lots of small town teams run those offenses in Florida.

Brad82
April 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
It was as much the play-calling as the offense style that did Stowers in.

bobbythekidd
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Right there is Stowers' problem. Done correctly the opposing defense call the plays to some degree. Stowers seems to be a square peg/ round hole kind of guy.

Cobblestone
April 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

AMEN TO YOU BUDDY! xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
April 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM

AMEN TO YOU BUDDY!

I feel like the AGS pastor tonight.

With Stowers and his offense gone mabye now we'll have a QB who'll last the entire season since that QB won't be getting crushed every Saturday. Cassidy hasn't lasted an entire season since he got here. Jayson Davis who was a fine QB, still walks with a limp after the pounding he took for 4 years with that F'd up offense. Hey, I realize it's football and I know what it's all about. But Stowers tried to turn his QB's into LB's.

Let me stop. My blood pressure rises just thinking about his play calling. The past is the past and in the words of Springsteen "These are better days". Looking forward to Rizzi and staff.

GO COACH RIZZI! xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
April 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Right there is Stowers' problem. Done correctly the opposing defense call the plays to some degree. Stowers seems to be a square peg/ round hole kind of guy.

AMEN TO YOU BOBBO!

Even though you're an atheist. xlolx

slostang
April 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
A triple option team led the FCS in offense in 2007. Cal Poly averaged 487 yards a game. They were also the sixth ranked scoring offense averaging 39.3 pts/gm. Run correctly it can be deadly.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
But even when run correctly, and I feel confident in saying that Poly ran it as good versus us as I've ever seen, it can be shut down with an athletic, disciplined defense.

And we shut you down when it counted.

The TO was unstoppable when it was the thing. But, as always, defenses caught up.

And once you've figured out the TO, you better have a plan B or you're sunk.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
But even when run correctly, and I feel confident in saying that Poly ran it as good versus us as I've ever seen, it can be shut down with an athletic, disciplined defense.

It can also be shut down with an offensive line averaging 262 lbs. :(

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah since the tiny state of California is so lacking of 300 lbs. OL.

Poly chooses to recruit small lineman so they can have them running around diving for people's knees all over the field.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
I'm sure they have good defenses, they were just ill prepared.

These days, the TO is a gimmick offense. You have to take special time to prepare your guys for it.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Then i guess the CAA teams do not have good defense, because URI lead the conf, in total yards?

Not true. James Madison led last season in total rushing offense. URI was third in rushing offense and 8th in total offense. I might add that we were near the bottom in scoring offense because we always seemed to stall in the red zone each and every game. This is because the Stowers offense didn't work and he NEVER had a plan B.

But at least offense was our strong point. I won't even get into how bad our defense was. Stowers knew nothing about defense and couldn't even make up his mind on a defensive staff.

It looks to me like Rizzi has already done a better job of hiring a staff than Stowers did the whole time he was here. Of course time will tell but at least now we have a coach with a plan.

Tribe4SF
April 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I'm thrilled that URI is abandoning the option. They have given us fits over the years, including the upset in our last meeting in 2005.

Good riddance!xhurrayx