PDA

View Full Version : Valpo to play YSU beginning in 2011....

DetroitFlyer
April 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2008/04/22/sports/college_sports/doce8116ce81178ec13862574320079ef63.txt

While Valpo's 2008 schedule is nothing to get excited about, it is very interesting to me that Valpo will be playing YSU in the future, ( at least two games with the first one in 2011 ).

So, YSU fans.... How is it that YSU was able to get Valpo on the schedule but not Dayton?

I'm betting that Valpo agreed to travel to YSU twice? I know Dayton will only do a home/home....

Any insight will be appreciated as I plan to ask my AD about getting YSU on the schedule, again....

bandl
April 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Not smacking here....honestly....but Valpo has a football team?????? xeekx

401ks
April 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

Yes, that is smack. xrolleyesx

udchuck
April 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yes,Rip Van Winkle,Valpo has a Football Team.xbangx

AmsterBison
April 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I am amazed they are playing Youngstown because it wasn't too long ago that they said they were going to stop playing fully-funded FCS teams because they were taking some hellacious beatings. Maybe Drake's big upset over Illinois State changed their minds.

TheBisonator
April 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
I am amazed they are playing Youngstown because it wasn't too long ago that they said they were going to stop playing fully-funded FCS teams because they were taking some hellacious beatings. Maybe Drake's big upset over Illinois State changed their minds.

NDSU injured like 1/3rd of their team in a 56-0 mutilation in 2004.

bobbythekidd
April 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
smack board in

BearsCountry
April 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Keep the money in the Horizon League it seems.

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Sept. 4 - at St. Francis (Ill.), 6 p.m.
Sept. 13 - Concordia (Wis.), 1 p.m.
Sept. 20 - Marian (Ind.), 1 p.m.

This is their 1st 3 games---pathetic. I assume they are all NAIA, that Marian college is NAIA and they were 1-8 last year. They got crushed in all those games and play at a HS stadium. That is pretty bad.

DetroitFlyer
April 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Sept. 4 - at St. Francis (Ill.), 6 p.m.
Sept. 13 - Concordia (Wis.), 1 p.m.
Sept. 20 - Marian (Ind.), 1 p.m.

This is their 1st 3 games---pathetic. I assume they are all NAIA, that Marian college is NAIA and they were 1-8 last year. They got crushed in all those games and play at a HS stadium. That is pretty bad.

Did you bother to actually read the article? The coach freely admits that this schedule smells, but he goes on to say that they are building the program, ( new field turf and significant stadium improvements ), and that by 2010 / 2011 the schedule will be upgraded.... Has it ever occurred to you that it is hard to build a program if you go 1-10 or 2-9 year after year? Guess what, the casual fan of ANY FCS team does not know the difference between a Marian and a YSU.... To them, all are simply small college football. But, the casual fan pretty much understand wins and losses.... Get some wins, engage and build your fan base, significantly improve your stadium, and upgrade the schedule as the team and talent improve.... Not exactly rocket science here.

As for "blowouts" I think that everyone is finally beginning to realize that blowouts happen EVERY single week in all divisions of college football. In 2007, Dayton pounded Butler something like 61-0. Back in 2006, however, Butler defeated Dayton. So, should Butler drop out of the PFL because in one year they got pounded by Dayton? Of course not.... Same as playing any team. Valpo could get blown out by Dayton, San Diego, Drake, Morehead State, just as easily as they could get blown out by a YSU.... The key to avoiding a blowout is to improve your team, which Valpo is obviously planning to do by the 2010 / 2011 time frame.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Did you bother to actually read the article? The coach freely admits that this schedule smells, but he goes on to say that they are building the program, ( new field turf and significant stadium improvements ), and that by 2010 / 2011 the schedule will be upgraded.... Has it ever occurred to you that it is hard to build a program if you go 1-10 or 2-9 year after year? Guess what, the casual fan of ANY FCS team does not know the difference between a Marian and a YSU.... To them, all are simply small college football. But, the casual fan pretty much understand wins and losses.... Get some wins, engage and build your fan base, significantly improve your stadium, and upgrade the schedule as the team and talent improve.... Not exactly rocket science here.

As for "blowouts" I think that everyone is finally beginning to realize that blowouts happen EVERY single week in all divisions of college football. In 2007, Dayton pounded Butler something like 61-0. Back in 2006, however, Butler defeated Dayton. So, should Butler drop out of the PFL because in one year they got pounded by Dayton? Of course not.... Same as playing any team. Valpo could get blown out by Dayton, San Diego, Drake, Morehead State, just as easily as they could get blown out by a YSU.... The key to avoiding a blowout is to improve your team, which Valpo is obviously planning to do by the 2010 / 2011 time frame.

Yes I read the article, I even researched Marian of Indiana and their terribleness. Anyone who knows the first thing about college FB knows who Youngstown St. is, and knows that playing three NAIA teams is pretty pathetic. Look man I understand Dayton and San Diego have very good teams, but you are not gonna shake the criticism until teams in your conference like Valpo stop playing these teams. I hear Trinity Bible in North Dakota has a few games available , maybe Valpo can call them up too.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Butler went 4-0 versus sub-D-I competition, and then promptly lost all their D-I games the rest of the year. Could be a similar situation here.

Of course, I want to see Butler and Valpo catch up to the rest of the PFL. xnodx The gap between the top and bottom is pretty vast. San Diego spends three times what Butler did last year on football:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91393

Athletic budgets for football vary greatly throughout the PFL. San Diego spends annually nearly three times Butler’s budget on football, while the average amount PFL teams spend on their programs is about $700,000.

I-AA Fan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2008/04/22/sports/college_sports/doce8116ce81178ec13862574320079ef63.txt

While Valpo's 2008 schedule is nothing to get excited about, it is very interesting to me that Valpo will be playing YSU in the future, ( at least two games with the first one in 2011 ).

So, YSU fans.... How is it that YSU was able to get Valpo on the schedule but not Dayton?

I'm betting that Valpo agreed to travel to YSU twice? I know Dayton will only do a home/home....

Any insight will be appreciated as I plan to ask my AD about getting YSU on the schedule, again....

Valpo and YSU share the same non-football conference. Now if Dayton & Xavier come back to the Horizon (was MCC then), instead of hanging out with those East Coast boys, then maybe they can work something out :)

Just teasing, I actually would not mind YSU playing UD ( I live in Columbus), but with Robert Morris and Duquense so much closer ... if you are going to play a non-scholarship team, they make more sense. Many schools are not willing to travel for all games in a series. So if YSU had to travel, Pittsburgh is an hour or so away. Dayton is 4 or 5 hours, fans are not going to travel.

Thanks, good info, as YSU does not post tentative schedules.

401ks
April 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Of course, I want to see Butler and Valpo catch up to the rest of the PFL. xnodx The gap between the top and bottom is pretty vast. San Diego spends three times what Butler did last year on football

Amen, brother!

turbodean
April 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Has Valpo released any info on this year's recruiting class? I haven't seen anything. Are these upgrade efforts attracting talent?

GoGuins
April 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
YSU might as well play Mount Union