PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Spring Game

Uncle Buck
April 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Arrived a few minutes late but saw some positives but a lot of question marks.

Offensively, Savage (QB) looked pretty sharp completing some very nice passes while also having some catchable balls dropped. Aaron Weaver had a great catch for TD from Savage on a perfectly thrown post pattern to beat great coverage. Ottis Lewis (WR) looked inconsistent and dropped a long pass that he should have had. Wind could have been a factor on some passes but it looked like receivers misjudged a couple of balls and either quit on routes or just didn't get in position. RB's looked decent with Benjamin who appeared to be very agile, Bennett ran strong and Gaskins had a couple of decent runs as well. Offensive line still questionable IMO. Brian Frederick who is penciled in to start at LT is only a sophomore but appeared inconsistent. Had some good blocks but was also very weak against the bull rush and seemed to be shoved into the pocket too easily.

Defensively we are VERY VERY VERY small IMO. We don't have a LB over 5'10" and this will be a problem against smashmouth teams. They moved Luke Bonus to the inside and he is way undersized, but i love his heart and he has a great motor. I'm assuming we're going more for speed at the second level rather than run stoppers. d-line was okay, nobody really wowed me and the secondary had an on again off again day. Good coverage at times and blown coverages at other times.

All in all i think this team still has a long way to go. I would say we're better off offensively this year and should be okay, especially if the o-line gels a bit more and can create some space for a running game. Defense will continue to be the question mark and will be tested often against some of the bigger o-lines that we will see in the CAA. While i love to wear the rose-colored glasses this time of year, i would be happy with a 6 win season. I just hope the undersized defense proves me wrong and creates opportunities for an offense that should have enough firepower to score points.

danefan
April 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Albany-Hofstra game this year. I think the gap has been closing for years now with Albany on the rise. I have a feeling this may just be the breakthrough year.

I'll definitely be at the game, but man I'm dreading the L.I.E.

Uncle Buck
April 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Albany and SBU have been no-win propositions for HU. If we win, people kind of expect it, if we lose, it'll be a big upset. Though not as much against Albany since they have already beaten UD which IMO is a better W than HU.

As for the gap closing, i think it's more like HU in decline for about five years. Hopefully Cohen has righted the ship and gets us ready for the upcoming season. I think we'll be competitive, just not particularly experience.