PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina spring game recap(link)

catamount man
April 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041908aaa.html

1,800 for a WCU spring game is the best I can remember in a LONG time. Last year, I think it was barely 300.

After 3 years of 0-0, 10-2, and 6-3, it was finally nice to see some sort of offensive showcase in our spring game. Good to see some discipline. Guys that got called for penalties had to come off the field and do up-downs right on the sideline until the coaches told them to quit.

A real good tailgate atmosphere today for us all. Told new DC Matt Pawlowski after the game that we were hungry for a winner in Cullowhee. He replied that it WOULD happen for us.

Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Monarch History
April 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
"The people at Western Carolina want to support a winner and that's our job," concluded Wagner. "We have got to put a great product on the field. When people come like they did today, it helps the outcome. We are very proud to be in front of them. Between now and that first game, we have got to do everything we can to keep these people coming back."

I like what Wagner is saying! It sounds like he appreciates WCU's fans and wants to put a winning product on the field for them.

catamount man
April 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Clemson DT Elsmore Gabriel graduates Clemson in May and will use his last year of eligibility at Western Carolina. I believe he was on campus this week.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gabriel_elsmore00.html

xthumbsupx

catamount man
April 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
"The people at Western Carolina want to support a winner and that's our job," concluded Wagner. "We have got to put a great product on the field. When people come like they did today, it helps the outcome. We are very proud to be in front of them. Between now and that first game, we have got to do everything we can to keep these people coming back."

I like what Wagner is saying! It sounds like he appreciates WCU's fans and wants to put a winning product on the field for them.

This coaching staff is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Briggs and company it is not even funny. No disrespect to our last staff, but this new staff is 100% committed to a winning program in Cullowhee.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CSUBUCDAD
April 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
Sounds kinda like the transition when Mills took over for Dowd at Chuck South. Good luck with the new staff, sounds like they are committed. Let's just hope the AD and the rest of the folks with their hands on the purse strings are that committed with the money.

Touchdown Yosef
April 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Clemson DT Elsmore Gabriel graduates Clemson in May and will use his last year of eligibility at Western Carolina. I believe he was on campus this week.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gabriel_elsmore00.html

xthumbsupx

That is good news for Western, what graduate program will he be attending at WCU?

catamount man
April 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
That is good news for Western, what graduate program will he be attending at WCU?

Don't know at this time. Sorry. xthumbsupx

appmountaineer
April 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Congrats Western... I like to hear that the players and coaches are working hard to get Western a Winning football team. Good luck in the season, and I look forward to attending the battle for the Old Mountain Jug down in Cullowhee.

Appaholic
April 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041908aaa.html

1,800 for a WCU spring game is the best I can remember in a LONG time. Last year, I think it was barely 300.

After 3 years of 0-0, 10-2, and 6-3, it was finally nice to see some sort of offensive showcase in our spring game. Good to see some discipline. Guys that got called for penalties had to come off the field and do up-downs right on the sideline until the coaches told them to quit.

A real good tailgate atmosphere today for us all. Told new DC Matt Pawlowski after the game that we were hungry for a winner in Cullowhee. He replied that it WOULD happen for us.

Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

That's great C-man.........hope o see a winner at Western (though not at our expense)......BTW, is Kadeem Morgan still with the program?

catamount man
April 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
That's great C-man.........hope o see a winner at Western (though not at our expense)......BTW, is Kadeem Morgan still with the program?

Nope. Wagner canned him his 1st week in Cullowhee. You can see Kadeem at Mars Hill this fall. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Appaholic
April 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Nope. Wagner canned him his 1st week in Cullowhee. You can see Kadeem at Mars Hill this fall. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Was he an attitude problem? His younger brother (Rahkeem) seems so mature and respectful (based upon his TV interviews)....always praises his teammates....was this not the case with Kadeem?

catamount man
April 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Was he an attitude problem? His younger brother (Rahkeem) seems so mature and respectful (based upon his TV interviews)....always praises his teammates....was this not the case with Kadeem?

Let me PM about it. xthumbsupx

Mountaineer2825
April 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'd love for Western to make it to the playoffs!

Appaholic
April 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Let me PM about it. xthumbsupx

Thanks....you're right...sorry for asking about individual situation in open forum....xoopsx

WCU LawCat
April 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Kadeem was a HUGE attitude problem along with some off the field stuff as well. We didn't even recruit his brother.

The change in attitude and changes that you people are hearing about at WCU are not smoke and mirrors. This years incoming players are going to turn a few heads. A lot of this years walk-ons have some impressive stats. Most of them probably would not have considered coming under Briggs. It really is exciting to see the school putting a real effort into the program now. I didn't think it would ever happen under Bardo. I met one incoming freshman signee at the game who said he had interest from 14 schools and offers from 6 or 7. He says he picked WCU "hands down" after a campus visit and chat with "Wags." I think one of the schools after him was App. Winning players over App is something we really have never done at WCU. Never had a real recruiting budget. The wait for the 2008 season is painful right now for Catamount Fans.

catamount man
April 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Kadeem was a HUGE attitude problem along with some off the field stuff as well. We didn't even recruit his brother.

The change in attitude and changes that you people are hearing about at WCU are not smoke and mirrors. This years incoming players are going to turn a few heads. A lot of this years walk-ons have some impressive stats. Most of them probably would not have considered coming under Briggs. It really is exciting to see the school putting a real effort into the program now. I didn't think it would ever happen under Bardo. I met one incoming freshman signee at the game who said he had interest from 14 schools and offers from 6 or 7. He says he picked WCU "hands down" after a campus visit and chat with "Wags." I think one of the schools after him was App. Winning players over App is something we really have never done at WCU. Never had a real recruiting budget. The wait for the 2008 season is painful right now for Catamount Fans.

All the coaches have the mentality to get things done. Remember coach Clinkscales conversation with us after the game? Man, I would hate to piss him off. All business and they know the task at hand probably better than we do.

The next 4 months are gonna suck waiting for the 1st game.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
April 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM

1. One. He has to get in. 27K applications last year for 2500 spots.

2. Playing time. App's last 2 recruiting classes make it hard for incomings to see playing time for a while unless they are phenomenal or willing to take a RS..

3. Visits don't always translate to offers.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
How can Adam Hearns be a RS Freshman when he played in (at least a few that I know of) games last year?

WCU LawCat
April 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hearns was redshirted in 2006. Played in most games in 2007. Will be a Sophmore for this coming season.

JC - It is true about the kid. I heard it directly from his and his fathers mouth. I have no idea what the main reason for him coming to WCU was. I know how deep App is. I'm glad he picked Western over 6 or 7 schools. He has massive shoulders and we need tallent at his position.

catamount man
April 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
1. One. He has to get in. 27K applications last year for 2500 spots.

2. Playing time. App's last 2 recruiting classes make it hard for incomings to see playing time for a while unless they are phenomenal or willing to take a RS..

3. Visits don't always translate to offers.

Like a case of the limp when the hooker arrives, ole cline does it again. Buzzkiller!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx ;)

appstate38
April 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Did you guys get rid of Briggs altogether or is he still lurking around the campus in some capacity??? That is the only potential problem I would see if he is still around.

catamount man
April 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Did you guys get rid of Briggs altogether or is he still lurking around the campus in some capacity??? That is the only potential problem I would see if he is still around.

He's working in the PE department. Trust me, Wagner and company have been given full command of the football ship. Our chancellor knew we were hungry for a winner, but when change was demanded by the whole lot of us, including a majority of alums with deep pockets, he finally got on board and helped bring about the change.

Briggs was actually asked to resign right after the Wofford game, but he refused. Guess APP putting up 79 on him forced the AD's hands because that following Monday he and his staff, sans John Scott, were told they would NOT be coming back.

Our chancellor has listened to the pleas of the WCU football loyalists and has raised the budget of everything associated with the football program and recruiting and for the 1st time in school history, the ENTIRE team will be in summer school this pre-season getting ready. Alums and boosters stepped up and gave the money to make this happen.

It's exciting times in Cullowhee for sure. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
April 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
IS IT AUGUST YET!?!?!?!?!?!

I WANNA SEE THE NEW UNIFORMS AND HELMET!!!

LET ME SEE THE HELMET! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!xnutsx xbawlingx