PDA

View Full Version : Another upset filled week?

Eagle_77
October 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM
This year has been full of upsets and I don’t think things will change much this week. There are several ranked and unranked teams that are set up for upsets. Here is my list of potential upsets games this week with the underdog in bold. These are not my picks just potential upsets.

Colgate at Princeton
Towson at Rhode Island
23. Northwestern State at Sam Houston State
Western Carolina at 21.Georgia Southern
14. Texas State at Southeastern Louisiana
11. Montana State at Weber State
7. Northern Iowa at Missouri State
2. Southern Illinois at Western Illinois
Hofstra at 13.Delaware
12. North Dakota St at 9. Cal Poly
4. Montana at Idaho State
16. App St at 6. Furman

Out of these I am picking a few actual upsets. Here are my upset picks
Colgate, Southeastern Louisiana, and North Dakota State.

Any games you guys think that I missed or anyone else care to take a shot at a few upset games?

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM
the underdog in bold.
Where's the bold? Because I'd like to see who you think the dog is in...

Colgate at Princeton
Towson at Rhode Island
Hofstra at 13.Delaware
16. App St at 6. Furman

I wouldn't be at all surprised at any of those teams winning.

HensRock
October 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
The only one that isn't obvious (as far as who SHOULD BE the underdog) is Colgate@PU since neither is ranked. I'd have to say Colgate is the underdog accourding to the GPI.

Oops, also Towson @ URI. Again I think Towson is the underdog.

putter
October 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Montana will have their hands full in the Pokey Dome against ISU as always. With a new QB it will be interesting to see how they do.

Eagle_77
Sorry guys I fixed it.

Eaglegus2
I will take a shot at the underdogs playing from this group.

Colgate at Princeton
Towson at Rhode Island
Hofstra at 13.Delaware
16. App St at 6. Furman

Anyone else agree or disagree?

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Colgate at Princeton
Towson at Rhode Island
Hofstra at 13.Delaware
16. App St at 6. Furman

I guess my point was, would anyone be surprised if any of those dogs won? IMO the biggest upset of those would be WCU at GSU, mostly because it's at GSU.

HensRock
October 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I will take a shot at the underdogs playing from this group.

Colgate at Princeton
Towson at Rhode Island
Hofstra at 13.Delaware
16. App St at 6. Furman

URI should be favored to beat Towson. You may disagree and I think I do as well, but to me, favored means what the majority of people think and I think the majority would favor URI.

Same can be said for your pick of Furman as an underdog. I think the majority of people would think the #6 team playing at home against the #12 team would be favored to win. Yet strangely, I'm with you!

ISUMatt
October 5th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Im not calling the upset, but 1 game where an upset could happen...

Western Kentucky vs Illinois State

The Redbirds are holding opponents to 2.6 yards per carry and are allowing only 265 yards of total offense per game. They haven’t allowed more than 20 points against a I-AA opponent, and linebacker Cameron Siskowic (62 tackles) has emerged as a big-time player. The Hilltoppers’ strength on offense is in the running game, so Lerron Moore and company could have a tough time finding room to roam.

WKU will have to stop the run and if they do they should win. IF the ISU D shuts down the run and ISU O-line takes over, the Toppers MAY be in for a surprise.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
SHSU isn't an underdog against NW State...

Both teams come up in questionable and Sam has owned the Demons in Huntsville the last few times out, even when the Bearkats were stuck in a 2-9 campaign...

Southeastern over TxSt-San Marcos. That'd be something. It'd sure make loads of folks quiet and put the Bobcats one away from not going to the playoffs...

LacesOut
October 5th, 2005, 09:43 AM
20 mph winds in the forecast for UD/Hofstra game. Could affect Hofstra's vaunted Air Attack, eh??

Eagle_77
October 5th, 2005, 09:44 AM
SHSU isn't an underdog against NW State...

Both teams come up in questionable and Sam has owned the Demons in Huntsville the last few times out, even when the Bearkats were stuck in a 2-9 campaign...

Southeastern over TxSt-San Marcos. That'd be something. It'd sure make loads of folks quiet and put the Bobcats one away from not going to the playoffs...

Northwestern is ranked and SHSU is not. Wether you believe that SHSU is the underdog or not by rankings they are.

Eagle_77
October 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I had trouble with App St being the underdog to Furman as well knowing the history of these two teams playing. But Furman is at home, lost 3 straight to ASU, and have faced a little better compitition to this point in the season. This game is truely a toss up but the rankings say Furman is the favorite and they are at home.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I had trouble with App St being the underdog to Furman as well knowing the history of these two teams playing. But Furman is at home, lost 3 straight to ASU, and have faced a little better compitition to this point in the season. This game is truely a toss up but the rankings say Furman is the favorite and they are at home.

honestly, i don't see the competition they have faced is much different

furman lost a game they shouldn't have and App lost a game they were supposed to lose

as for the dog, i don't see a dog in this one, but like u said fu is at home, so if anyone is the dog, its gotta be asu, but i say pick em honestly

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
20 mph winds in the forecast for UD/Hofstra game. Could affect Hofstra's vaunted Air Attack, eh??

Having a tropical storm hanging around south Georgia this weekend will make for an interesting game against Western Carolina.

It will be wet. Funny things happen in the rain. :nod:

youwouldno
October 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM
App and FU is not a game where there is a real "dog." If there is one, it's App, only because the game is in Greenville. In terms of the teams themselves, I personally don't think App's front 7 defensively match up well against the Paladins offense, because they lack size and our two leading rushers are 6'1, 215 and 6'0, 250 (and the O-line is very good).

Then, Furman does not match up great defensively to App (or anyone that can throw), but that's why it's going to be a good game. It'll be interesting to see if the Paladins new defensive front alignment (first used vs. G-W) helps improve the pass rush. Not lacking in size:

DE- 6'2, 268
DT- 6'3, 298
NG- 6'2, 283
DE- 6'4, 267

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Northwestern is ranked and SHSU is not. Wether you believe that SHSU is the underdog or not by rankings they are.

Just a technicality. :)
If you go by the rankings, yes we are the underdog.
If you use football knowledge and what has happened so far this season, this one is a toss up and can go either way.

colgate13
October 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Not talked about so far, but I went out on a limb on my blog and picked Bucknell upsetting Penn. Bucknell found a one man show last week, and with that, their offense can work. The D has been silent all year. Penn could over look them. It's a long shot, but I'm picking it!

JALMOND
October 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I think you all missed one, Eastern Washington at Northern Arizona. Home cooking in the Big Sky has been tough and the conference is well balanced this year. EWU may think they are back on track and may try to take it easy against NAU, but the Skydome is not an easy place to play, regardless of how NAU has done so far. To me, this has upset written all over it.

GOKATS
October 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I think you all missed one, Eastern Washington at Northern Arizona. Home cooking in the Big Sky has been tough and the conference is well balanced this year. EWU may think they are back on track and may try to take it easy against NAU, but the Skydome is not an easy place to play, regardless of how NAU has done so far. To me, this has upset written all over it.

I'd like to think you're correct, but don't think it will happen. Sure would change the complexion of things if it did though. As tough as the Big Sky is this year you have to win your home games.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Just a technicality. :)
If you go by the rankings, yes we are the underdog.
If you use football knowledge and what has happened so far this season, this one is a toss up and can go either way.

agreed. if they get their qb situation fixed, i think sam pulls it out at home though.