View Full Version : Georgia State Football Coach Search

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Early names mentioned...

Hugh Nall, offensive line coach, Auburn
George Godsey, quarterbacks coach, Central Florida
Brad Lambert, defensive coordinator, Wake Forest
Rodney Garner, assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator, Georgia

What do you guys think of these possibilities? Anyone else missing from the above list that was put in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution...?

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Early names mentioned...

Hugh Nall, offensive line coach, Auburn
George Godsey, quarterbacks coach, Central Florida
Brad Lambert, defensive coordinator, Wake Forest
Rodney Garner, assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator, Georgia

What do you guys think of these possibilities? Anyone else missing from the above list that was put in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution...?
Hugh Nall is not it.xtwocentsx

Appaholic
April 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Where's BVG?

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Where's BVG?As I stated before, he would not be interested because they do not have traditions to trash or expectations to not live up to.

blackcaesar3k5
April 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Georgia State should go after former Alabama Head Football Coach Mike Dubose, Dan Reeves, Ray Goff and Mickey andrews.

Tealblood
April 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM
wasn't nall the guy who played at UGA when Hershel was starring

Tealblood
April 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM
and yes i heard from peeps in Georgia that Reeves was the guy

Umass74
April 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
This article (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2008/04/17/how_georgia_sta.html) says the Georgia State should look to get out of the CAA and into the Southern Conference.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
where are they going to play?

NYJMUSupporter
April 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I think the southern conference is a more natural fit, but I believe the CAA really wants to get more exposure in the south. I think they want to get into as many big tv markets as possible.

UDChE89
April 18th, 2008, 04:44 PM
and yes i heard from peeps in Georgia that Reeves was the guy

I believe that when Georgia State was starting to set up the program, they hired Dan Reeves to do it but he stated that he wasn't going to be the coach.

paward
April 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I do not see Garner leaving UGA for that job. He has a great thing going in Athens. It would be very little glamor going on over there for awhile. He has a few spotlight years ahead of him at UGA, or so they say.

Appaholic
April 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
As I stated before, he would not be interested because they do not have traditions to trash or expectations to not live up to.

True, but I figured he might want to get the job so he could resign a couple of weeks later.........xwhistlex

BlazerDawg
April 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Georgia State needs to go after a coach that will have instant in-state name recognition. While all of the choices listed by the AJC article would probably be good on the field coaches and recruiters, it can't be discounted that Georgia State needs a coach that can draw interest to the program and that can also sell it in the time between now and the players actually taking the field.

Erk Russell was absolutely perfect for that bill at Georgia Southern. There's not another Erk out there. Reeves would fit the bill, but if he truly wanted the job the announcement the other day would have also announced him as the head coach. He might eventually be the guy, and announcing later would give them another press bump, but would he be downplaying the idea so much if he wanted the job?

catdaddy2402
April 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
As good of a coach as Dan Reeves is, he's never coached college football, so he'd have to have a staff with a strong college background just for recruiting alone. Not to mention it's a totally different mentality in all aspects coaching college kids compared to pros.