PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing FCS/FBS matchups.

Big Al
April 15th, 2008, 09:17 AM
It's an article slanted towards FBS programs, but I wouldn't be too proud if your school ended up on this list:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=797234

Ivytalk
April 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Those are some scary-bad games, particularly those brutal SoCon-Florida State matchups. Are they worth the fat paycheck?

eaglesrthe1
April 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
"2. Coastal Carolina at Penn State, Aug. 30: Coastal Carolina? What, State College High wasn't available?"

Ouch. That hurt me even.:D

ncbears
April 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Not suprised we're on there. I don't think it could be as bad as when we played Hawaii, but Purdue will kill us,

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
This dope Hugenin every year posts this baiting article basically calling all the FCS vs. FBS matchups as the ten worst of last year. Originally on the Orlando Sentinel, he clearly doesn't put one ounce of research and simply looks at I-A or I-AA and makes his picks.

Some of last year's "gems":

APPALACHIAN ST. AT MICHIGAN

The time: Noon

The buzz: The defending champs open their season. App State, we mean.

The line: None

The pick: Michigan 38-14

NICHOLLS ST. AT RICE

The time: 8 p.m.

The buzz: OK, if you care, raise your hand. … Anybody?

The line: None

The pick: Rice 38-16

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1179.html

slostang
April 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
If they had this list last year I am sure App. State was probably on it. We all know how that turned out.

As far as Cal Poly at Wisconsin, I agree about the timing being bad, but The Citadel gave Wisconsin a good game last year. I am hoping that Cal Poly can do the same.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
It will depend on the injury situation. If Poly gets lucky and Wisc. does not, it could be a very good game given Poly's oop-de-oop schemes.

blackfordpu
April 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I am suprised that SHSU@Kansas isn't on there, especially with Bomar likely out for that one and Kansas' run last season.

andy7171
April 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Slanted towards FBS? Yes. But other than the condesending way he describes the FCS schools, I have no problem with what he is saying. They are some bad match ups.

CID1990
April 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
We will get Tebowed....

...but we will put up some numbers on them, too.

CSUBUCDAD
April 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I watched the Miami Hurricane spring game yesterday and to be honest, I was not at all impressed. They will more than likely beat CSU but they have some serious flaws to fix in the secondary before then and both CSU QB's were ripping their own defense a new one during their spring game. Should be an interesting passing matchup.

08Dawg
April 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
We will get Tebowed....

Maybe...but I think Clemson could be intersting. Just hope those in the Corps from South Carolina pull for the right side!

Franks Tanks
April 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I am suprised that SHSU@Kansas isn't on there, especially with Bomar likely out for that one and Kansas' run last season.

Sam Houston vs. Oklahoma would have been sweet

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
They played OK St. last year. Didn't turn out too well.

Eight Legger
April 15th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Here's an embarrassing one: UR at UVA Sept. 6. It will be embarrassing for UVA, at least. . .

andy7171
April 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Here's an embarrassing one: UR at UVA Sept. 6. It will be embarrassing for UVA, at least. . .

As long as that QB of yours stays healthy, I wouldn't count you guys out of any match up. xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
April 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Haven't heard much talk about that matchup in a while (I know it can get lost in the ASU LSU talk) but it looks like Virginia has lost some key players on D. How do you like your chances in this game?

I have been trumpeting Wofford over USC as the best chance of an FCS team beating a major FBS team this season but perhaps this is another one to really keep an eye on.

CID1990
April 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Maybe...but I think Clemson could be intersting. Just hope those in the Corps from South Carolina pull for the right side!

Yeah, I have already put some of our wannabe Clempson fans on ass-whoopin notice.

CopperCat
April 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Haven't heard much talk about that matchup in a while (I know it can get lost in the ASU LSU talk) but it looks like Virginia has lost some key players on D. How do you like your chances in this game?

I have been trumpeting Wofford over USC as the best chance of an FCS team beating a major FBS team this season but perhaps this is another one to really keep an eye on.

You can't be serious. USC? With that defense?

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yes they look like some very bad matchups, but man i would love to see a few upsets in that mix.

RazorEdge19
April 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Erm, a defense that held USC to 3 points in the second half of 2006?

Touchdown Yosef
April 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I am, but just to be clear I am talking about South Carolina not Southern Cal.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
The most ridiculous on this list is El Cid versus Florida. 7-4 is not bad considering how good the SoCon was last year ... did this guy not watch what they did with Wisconsin last year? With the exception of Chatty-Oklahoma and maybe WCU-Florida State (depending on how Wagner does with his first offseason with that program), I doubt if any of those games will be 30+ point losses.

And what's all this "big 6" talk? That sort of implies that the Big East is on par with the SEC, ACC, Big X, Big XII, and Pac 10, which they are not.

jmu_duke07
April 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM

This will be one of the most interesting matchups... UVA Plays USC(southern cal) as their first game. I believe that UVA is closer to UR's playing level than USC's, especially with the loses they endured this off season.

slostang
April 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM

U niversity of S outh C arolina.

Not U niversity of S outhern C alifornia.

jessesd
April 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
We will get Tebowed....

3 is a number!!!! Se ya there Nov 22nd!!xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

jessesd
April 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
After last year's improvements at UCONN, I fear for the pride... that game could turn ugly!!!
but if an FCS-FBS upset happens.... I hope is this one, sadly is a Thursday night game.

purduecrum
April 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Not suprised we're on there. I don't think it could be as bad as when we played Hawaii, but Purdue will kill us,

Despite a coaching connection at UNC to Purdue, we aren't looking forward to this match-up either. The ticket office at Purdue is having a hard time giving these tickets away. The curb should be filled with tickets come gameday...

89Hen
April 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Slanted towards FBS? Yes. But other than the condesending way he describes the FCS schools, I have no problem with what he is saying. They are some bad match ups.
I actually think this article is spot on and that he goes WAY out of his way to make readers realize this isn't a slam on I-AA in general. Plus, the fact that he still uses I-AA on purpose = OK in my book. xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
April 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
We will get Tebowed....

I always respect The Citadel because they never run away from stretch games and, indeed, WIN them from time to time. Good luck to you guys.

patssle
April 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Agreed. SHSU should be on the list.

blackfordpu
April 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Agreed. SHSU should be on the list.

Though it is good that we are not on it. It is not a list to be proud of.

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
After last year's improvements at UCONN, I fear for the pride... that game could turn ugly!!!
but if an FCS-FBS upset happens.... I hope is this one, sadly is a Thursday night game.

I think HU will get smacked up at UConn, too many new and inexperienced faces on defense. Who cares though, i'll be there if we do pull the unlikely upset.

jessesd
April 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I think HU will get smacked up at UConn, too many new and inexperienced faces on defense. Who cares though, i'll be there if we do pull the unlikely upset.

I want to go, but I'll finish lecturing at 5:00PM (first week of classes)and is over four hours drive from here!!! I'll see if I can get away at the last minute... There should be plenty of tix available.

CID1990
April 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
3 is a number!!!! Se ya there Nov 22nd!!xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

We will put up at least 21 on Florida's first string defense.

I will not try to speculate on how many points Florida will score.

CCU97
April 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
The only thing I can say about the Penn St. v. Coastal game is that if they keep kicking players off their team we stand a chance! I think the reason we make this list is because we haven't been around that long....I would be more than willing to take my chances with any FCS team on this list and think CCU would win against them.

Umass74
April 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM

All UMass fans will be Pride fans on that day! xnodx

CID1990
April 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I like how our game with Climpsen didn't make the list.

I went over to a couple of their message boards to see what they were saying. They are so full of themselves. Most of them are predicting the tigers to put up a score similar to our win over Webber or VMI.

I decided to stir the pot, so I went on there and reminded them that climpsen isn't capable of scoring 70 points even if there isn't another team on the field. I also guaranteed them a 21-24 point performance out of the Bulldogs. You would think that I called Danny Ford a communist pinko castrati.

nwFL Griz
April 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
And what's all this "big 6" talk? That sort of implies that the Big East is on par with the SEC, ACC, Big X, Big XII, and Pac 10, which they are not.

Yeah, except that they are....cause they are a BCS conference, which is what the "Big 6" refers to.

89Hen
April 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think the reason we make this list is because we haven't been around that long
Good point. Many of the I-AA teams are unknown to the I-A world, but one that's only been around for a handful of years (and is not a regular in the Men's bball tourney) even more so.

89Hen
April 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
As much as it pains me to say, the BE was stronger than the ACC this past year and actually Sagarin had them higher than the Big 10 too...

1 SOUTHEASTERN
2 PAC-10
3 BIG 12
4 BIG EAST
5 ATLANTIC COAST
6 BIG TEN

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
West Virginia should've been in the national championship game.

Until last season Louisville was a top 10 program as well.

And Rutgers has shown commitment to being a top 10 program.

Otherwise, Pitt, UConn, Cincy and USF are all very good.

jessesd
April 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
As much as it pains me to say, the BE was stronger than the ACC this past year and actually Sagarin had them higher than the Big 10 too...

1 SOUTHEASTERN
2 PAC-10
3 BIG 12
4 BIG EAST
5 ATLANTIC COAST
6 BIG TEN

Syracuse horrible season dragged the conference down (a lot)!!! otherwise the Big Easy did ok in my eyes, and they are getting stronger, in a couple of years they'll be at the Big 10/11 level (if you drop the CUSE).

CharlestonAppFan
April 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM

I know that you probably thought that meant So Cal, but I had to bring this up because it was begging to be brought up........

Anyone know who was the original defensive coordinator for the mighty Cocks this year? that is, until he decided to bolt about 2 days after he was hired?.......xeyebrowx Baldy, bobby, Eaglerus, anybody?.....xlolx

Just think of what Wofford could of done to coach *********'s defense (who's name shall not be spoken of, without express written consent from those in the know) xthumbsupx Ah, what could of been...

CSUBUCDAD
April 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I know that you probably thought that meant So Cal, but I had to bring this up because it was begging to be brought up........

Anyone know who was the original defensive coordinator for the mighty Cocks this year? that is, until he decided to bolt about 2 days after he was hired?.......xeyebrowx Baldy, bobby, Eaglerus, anybody?.....xlolx

Just think of what Wofford could of done to coach *********'s defense (who's name shall not be spoken of, without express written consent from those in the know) xthumbsupx Ah, what could of been...

Brian VanGorder(jerk)

OL FU
April 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I am simply glad FU isn't on the list. VaTech skeers mexnodx

CharlestonAppFan
April 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Brian VanGorder(jerk)

rep points xthumbsupx

Mouse
April 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
the person who wrote the article was more knowledgable about the FCS than I thought he would be

furman94
April 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
CAA, the best league in FCS? Who is this guy?! lol

89Hen
April 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Obviously someone who knows his football. xcoffeex xsmiley_wix

UMass922
April 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
If they had this list last year I am sure App. State was probably on it.

No it wouldn't have. Read his criteria:

Third – and most important – we are not being derisive of or impugning I-AA football. We're fully aware that the top six or so I-AA programs could play in any league in Division I-A – and do quite well in some of the non-"Big Six" leagues. We're fully aware that another 10 or so I-AA programs would fare well in the non-"Big Six" leagues. And we're not averse to I-A/I-AA games per se. What we don't like is "Big Six"-league teams scheduling games against bad I-AA teams. (Eleven of the 12 "Big Six" programs we're spotlighting went to bowls last season.) You'll notice that none of the games we've selected involve top-level I-AA programs.

T-Dog
April 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
El Cit shouldn't be on there based on their giant-killer resume.

I decided to stir the pot, so I went on there and reminded them that climpsen isn't capable of scoring 70 points even if there isn't another team on the field. I also guaranteed them a 21-24 point performance out of the Bulldogs. You would think that I called Danny Ford a communist pinko castrati.

Rep points xthumbsupx You should have told them to look up the word "consistency" in the dictionary and e-mailed Bowden about it so he knows what it means.

paward
April 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
AGC means Any Given Saturday you can go home "Smoked"..."Butts Cleaned"......& "Ash Whopped". Until those game are played I saw we all have a chance. May be snowball chance but hey that is something.

CID1990
April 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ironically, Van Gorder was replaced with Ellis Johnson as the DC at USC... the coach that drove OUR program into the dirt.

We play them next year. Hopefully he will have had enough time to dick up their defense by then.

AppMan
April 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
FSU had the opportunity to take on the Mountaineers, but turned it down for games vs the Cats and the Mocs. Go figure! The mighty Tar Holes of unc-ch also had their chance to shut up that bunch of uppidy, loudmouth Mountaineers (as some of their fans are fond of calling us), but they also balked at the opportunity. ASU offered to go to Chapel Hell for less money than they are paying McNeese, but those arrogant %^&@#'$X's didn't want any part of it. I dispise 'em more now than I ever have! Turned out great for the Apps though, we're getting a ton more money and playing on a much bigger stage. Go Pokes beat those Tar Holes!

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
FSU had the opportunity to take on the Mountaineers, but turned it down for games vs the Cats and the Mocs. Go figure! The mighty Tar Holes of unc-ch also had their chance to shut up that bunch of uppidy, loudmouth Mountaineers (as some of their fans are fond of calling us), but they also balked at the opportunity. ASU offered to go to Chapel Hell for less money than they are paying McNeese, but those arrogant %^&@#'$X's didn't want any part of it. I dispise 'em more now than I ever have! Turned out great for the Apps though, we're getting a ton more money and playing on a much bigger stage. Go Pokes beat those Tar Holes!

Testify!! Brother, That's what I'm talking about.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

"Why go to the hill when you can go to the Mountain Top!!!!xnodx xcoolx xeyebrowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx :D

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Ironically, Van Gorder was replaced with Ellis Johnson as the DC at USC... the coach that drove OUR program into the dirt.

We play them next year. Hopefully he will have had enough time to dick up their defense by then.

Spurrier must be loosing his mind. What little that is left!!!!xconfusedx xconfusedx

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Probably smokin something....xconfusedx xconfusedx

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
The only thing I can say about the Penn St. v. Coastal game is that if they keep kicking players off their team we stand a chance! I think the reason we make this list is because we haven't been around that long....I would be more than willing to take my chances with any FCS team on this list and think CCU would win against them.

They could kick 85 more off and have 100 more standing in line.xeyebrowx

Forget it. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I want to go, but I'll finish lecturing at 5:00PM (first week of classes)and is over four hours drive from here!!! I'll see if I can get away at the last minute... There should be plenty of tix available.

Actually, the Sled Dogs have surprised the heck out of me and consistently packed Rentschler Field (40K). They have routinely sold out for all games except the FCS games. Still for those games they've put 35-37K in the stands. There will probably be tickets available, but this isn't like their old I-AA games when virtually nobody cared.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The mighty Tar Holes of unc-ch also had their chance to shut up that bunch of uppidy, loudmouth Mountaineers

When you're the flagship of a university system, like UNC is, you don't use a hyphenated abbreviation for them.

bench
April 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
When you're the flagship of a university system, like UNC is, you don't use a hyphenated abbreviation for them.

When you're on an internet message board you don't make nitpicky replies correcting spelling, grammar and usage in other people's posts.

T-Dog
April 16th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Despite it being the actual name of the university? xrulesx

I just call it Chapel Hell. xthumbsupx

chantster
April 16th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Who gives a crap about the match up??

These are MONEY games for FCS Teams.

Joe Pa throws a bone to his former player Moose (AD-CCU). Of course you are gonna take it! Who wouldn't??

More than likely Coastal will get blown out. That's expected. But there is plenty of upside.

* Helps recruiting when you have a schedule featuring Penn State.
* Come home with a fat check to boost athletic program.
* Kids get to play in front of biggest crowd of their football lives.

AppMan
April 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Are you serious? Guess you learn something new everyday.

Pitbull
April 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Who gives a crap about the match up??

These are MONEY games for FCS Teams.

Joe Pa throws a bone to his former player Moose (AD-CCU). Of course you are gonna take it! Who wouldn't??

More than likely Coastal will get blown out. That's expected. But there is plenty of upside.

* Helps recruiting when you have a schedule featuring Penn State.
* Come home with a fat check to boost athletic program.
* Kids get to play in front of biggest crowd of their football lives.

xnodx

We play Clemson and UCF this year.....They must have overlooked our schedule.... xconfusedx

Cobblestone
April 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM
5. Rhode Island at Boston College, Sept. 27...

Not so sure I agree with this. People thought we'd be embarrassed at Army last season but we took them to O.T. I know BC is much better than Army but Matt Ryan will be in the NFL, BC's backfield tandem of Callender and L.V. Whitworth are both gone and their potential starting QB (Chris Crane) is very inexperienced. Granted we've got a brand new coach with a whole new style of offense coming in so I don't expect a victory. However, the score may not be as embarrassing as the writer of this article may think.

PantherRob82
April 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
If they had this list last year I am sure App. State was probably on it. We all know how that turned out.

As far as Cal Poly at Wisconsin, I agree about the timing being bad, but The Citadel gave Wisconsin a good game last year. I am hoping that Cal Poly can do the same.

I doubt App State would have been on it last year. If you read the beginning of the article he talks about the top programs in FCS.

Also, his main gripe with Cal Poly at Wisconsin was the timing of it.

PantherRob82
April 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The most ridiculous on this list is El Cid versus Florida. 7-4 is not bad considering how good the SoCon was last year ... did this guy not watch what they did with Wisconsin last year?

The Citadel against Wisconsin is different. Everyone knows the Big Ten is weak against the spread. (See The Citadel vs WI, App St vs Michigan, LSU vs Ohio State, etc)

PantherRob82
April 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM

NDSU-Fargo xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Chatty making it on there twice... nice...

Weems
April 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM
UT Martin made the list twice... Thanks AD...

But anyways, i figure its going to be real confusing when we play Auburn seeing we have the same color scheme, and Jerseys... haha

SoCon48
April 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM
UT Martin made the list twice... Thanks AD...

But anyways, i figure its going to be real confusing when we play Auburn seeing we have the same color scheme, and Jerseys... haha

Surely one will wear light and the other dark.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Auburn's home jerseys are a lot of blue and white and just have orange trim. They sport white helmets too.

catdaddy2402
April 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I decided to stir the pot, so I went on there and reminded them that climpsen isn't capable of scoring 70 points even if there isn't another team on the field.
Clemson scored 70 points on Central Michigan last season.

I also guaranteed them a 21-24 point performance out of the Bulldogs. You would think that I called Danny Ford a communist pinko castrati.
Well, can you blame them? In the last five games combined Citadel has only scored 22 points, being out scored 144-22 in those games. You haven't scored a point against Clemson since 1978, and haven't scored a TD since 1976.
Whereas Furman games tend to give Clemson fans heartburn because they tend to be far closer than what Clemson wants....Citadel games tend to give Clemson fans hangovers because midway through the 3rd quarter the game is decided and the fans are out tailgating.

I'm more worried about SC State than I am about Citadel.

Ronbo
April 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
U niversity of S outh C arolina.

Not U niversity of S outhern C alifornia.

There is only one USC and it ain't South Carolina.xlolx xlolx xlolx So quit confusing readers posters and call South Carolina, well, South Carolina.

CID1990
April 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Clemson scored 70 points on Central Michigan last season.

Well, can you blame them? In the last five games combined Citadel has only scored 22 points, being out scored 144-22 in those games. You haven't scored a point against Clemson since 1978, and haven't scored a TD since 1976.
Whereas Furman games tend to give Clemson fans heartburn because they tend to be far closer than what Clemson wants....Citadel games tend to give Clemson fans hangovers because midway through the 3rd quarter the game is decided and the fans are out tailgating.

I'm more worried about SC State than I am about Citadel.

What do 1978 and 1976 have to do with 2008? Thirty years ago, Climpson was a top ten team, also.

Second, the crack about 70 points was smack.

Third, it's THE Citadel you FBS apologist. Now go back to tiger.com or wherever you hang out when you aren't slumming with us FCS heathens.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
What do 1978 and 1976 have to do with 2008? Thirty years ago, Climpson was a top ten team, also.
xoopsx CID, careful, you're digging a hole. xwhistlex

CSUBUCDAD
April 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
There is only one USC and it ain't South Carolina.xlolx xlolx xlolx So quit confusing readers posters and call South Carolina, well, South Carolina.

When the trojans came ot Columbia back in the 80's the scoreboard was classic. It had them as SoCal and Carolina as "The real USC". By the way, the real USC won that game and that is the only time the trojans had the gonads to play there. So I think they can claim to be "the USC" until SoCal has the nuts to step back on the field with them. xthumbsupx

catdaddy2402
April 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Second, the crack about 70 points was smack.

Third, it's THE Citadel you FBS apologist. Now go back to tiger.com or wherever you hang out when you aren't slumming with us FCS heathens.

The point is...maybe you and the rest of the fans of Bellhop Technical Institute better worry about scoring period rather than boasting you are going to score 21-24 points and make it a game.

agsadmin
April 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Please stop the smack on the main discussion page. xnonox

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Please stop the smack on the main discussion page. xnonox

Just move it to smack and get it over with! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Kill'em
April 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I am suprised our game with uga didn't make it.

putter
April 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I am suprised our game with uga didn't make it.

I am not surprised. Reading their disclaimer in the beginning they pretty much pointed out their stance on I-AA. They realize that the top teams in the FCS can play with most FBS teams. Their problem is that these top teams are playing the bottom teams from the FCS and GSU does not qualify as a bottom dweller.

seantaylor
April 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
GSU gets mad respect seeing as how we will be probably playing the #1 preseason team in the country.

ncbears
April 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Despite a coaching connection at UNC to Purdue, we aren't looking forward to this match-up either. The ticket office at Purdue is having a hard time giving these tickets away. The curb should be filled with tickets come gameday...

Yeah, I understand why. I just want to come away with out any injuries, a somewhat respectable score at the end and most of all $$$$!!!

AlphaSigMD
April 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Most people IN NORTH CAROLINA don't call the university of north carolina at chapel hill "UNC".

Usually its just "Carolina", "Chapel Hill" or "*****Stain", depending on who is speaking.

MarkCCU
April 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I just saw this...what the hell?!

MarkCCU
April 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Well I emailed that author a polite letter. We'll see if I get a response.

89Hen
April 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I just saw this...what the hell?!

Well I emailed that author a polite letter. We'll see if I get a response.
I sent him a note too, but I think our notes perhaps said different things. I think the article was fine and he definitely went out of his way to point out he was not bashing I-AA.

Coastal for Penn State is a stretch. I'd be willing to wager less than 1% of the students there have ever heard of CCU (I hadn't until you started a football team in the subclassification I follow). The only thing they will hear is that you've only been around 5 years. We all know that CCU is a fine team, but it will be a tough sell to the Nittany Lion faithful. PSU would be better off playing Bucknell, even though CCU is better on the field.

89Hen
April 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
BTW, I'm sure if the Blue Hens were on the list my tune would be different. xsmiley_wix

JDC325
April 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I actually think this article is spot on and that he goes WAY out of his way to make readers realize this isn't a slam on I-AA in general. Plus, the fact that he still uses I-AA on purpose = OK in my book. xsmiley_wix

Ditto. This guy seems to be very knowledgeable and unlike the typical local lazy writer who usually groups all FCS teams into some equally talented homogeneous group. This is the first writer who not only got the division nomenclature right but also recognized that there is different levels of talent in the division. Some of the games may not end up as bad as he thinks but at least he is coming to the table from a informed perspective...quite refreshing. I think the Citadel will lose but not roll over like most think.

CID1990
April 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Ditto. This guy seems to be very knowledgeable and unlike the typical local lazy writer who usually groups all FCS teams into some equally talented homogeneous group. This is the first writer who not only got the division nomenclature right but also recognized that there is different levels of talent in the division. Some of the games may not end up as bad as he thinks but at least he is coming to the table from a informed perspective...quite refreshing. I think the Citadel will lose but not roll over like most think.

I agree with you mostly, but I do think he misses some history. For instance, in years where The Citadel has a team that is good enough to have a winning season, we usually play the FBS teams very tough in those same years. We don't have the parity with FBS that we did in the late 80s-early 90s, but we are definitely not The Citadel of the late 90s-early 2000s. I think that if the author had reviewed the numbers from last year's Wisconsin game and weighed those with the probability that we will be an even better team this year, he might even have left us off the list. Of course, it is entirely possible that he DID consider these things, but then put us on the list based on Florida's projected strength this year, which I think will be considerable.

I expect a solid victory for Florida, especially if we are heading into the playoffs at that time and trying to protect our players. Clempson will be a much closer affair. I picked ASU over Michigan based on a lot of factors that I knew to be true about both teams. I am predicting a close one against Clempson based on the same type of analysis. I'll keep saying it so that the Clempson troll wannabes like CatDaddy will keep saying things that I can smack them for in September.

MarkCCU
April 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for writing.

As for knowing the back story, I also know coastal’s AD is a penn state alum.

To me, penn state should not be playing coastal Carolina. I have nothing against either school, but I don’t find that matchup very appealing.
~Mike

That's the authors response. He didn't answer my question about Citadel v.s Clemson this season.

MarkCCU
April 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I sent him a note too, but I think our notes perhaps said different things. I think the article was fine and he definitely went out of his way to point out he was not bashing I-AA.

Coastal for Penn State is a stretch. I'd be willing to wager less than 1% of the students there have ever heard of CCU (I hadn't until you started a football team in the subclassification I follow). The only thing they will hear is that you've only been around 5 years. We all know that CCU is a fine team, but it will be a tough sell to the Nittany Lion faithful. PSU would be better off playing Bucknell, even though CCU is better on the field.

I was polite, I said I had to honor my college for his joke about "State College High".

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I disagree...

Most (possibly all) of the teams on there outside of The Citadel and Cal Poly were teams that had losing records last year. Sam Houston State on the other hand did not.

The strong teams that were on the list, The Citadel and Cal Poly, as the writer noted are wrapping up their seasons with FBS games. The writer feels that it is a horrible time to play an FCS squad -- which is true. It's also bad he notes for "sending off" the seniors.

JBB
April 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I remember one embarassing FBS/FCS matchup:

NDSU @ Central Michigan

That game turned into an unexpected route. NDSU rolled. Only person in the world that might have suspected that was Coach Bohl.

App State @ Mich was not embarrassing. It was one of the great football games of all time.

elcid96
April 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM

It all depends on who is healthy at the end of the season. It tebow is out, then it might be a good game. Who knows.

813Jag
April 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
It all depends on who is healthy at the end of the season. It tebow is out, then it might be a good game. Who knows.
It's going to take a major injury to keep Tebow out, he played against Florida State with a bad hand.

Jackman
April 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
5. Rhode Island at Boston College, Sept. 27...

Not so sure I agree with this. People thought we'd be embarrassed at Army last season but we took them to O.T. I know BC is much better than Army but Matt Ryan will be in the NFL, BC's backfield tandem of Callender and L.V. Whitworth are both gone and their potential starting QB (Chris Crane) is very inexperienced. Granted we've got a brand new coach with a whole new style of offense coming in so I don't expect a victory. However, the score may not be as embarrassing as the writer of this article may think.

Plus lil' Rhodie always has a chance in a typhoon. xbawlingx

Weems
April 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Auburn's home jerseys are a lot of blue and white and just have orange trim. They sport white helmets too.

Surely one will wear light and the other dark.

It was a joke, of course we will wear white, they will wear the blue...

And also, we have the same UNI'S down to a T, of course, ours says UT not AU on the side of the helmets, and we don't have under armour gear

CID1990
April 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Another way to tell the difference during the game is that the team that keeps running up and down the field and has all the points will be Auburn.

Weems
April 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Another way to tell the difference during the game is that the team that keeps running up and down the field and has all the points will be Auburn.

For Sure

hawkeye
April 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM

And the Auburn cheerleaders will be standing behind their team barefooted with a cigarette, pregnant of course.