PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Outlook

Bison101
April 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Any predictions for NDSU's upcoming season.

They showed that they can compete in 06 and 07, so are playoffs in the future?

I think the Bison are going to the playoffs while riding on a 9-2 record.

Any thoughts?

MplsBison
April 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
A 1st, 2nd or 3rd place finish in the Gateway guarantees a spot in the playoffs.

We should be at least 2-1 heading into Youngstown and Gateway conference play.

UNI, SDSU, Western Ill., and Southern Ill. are going to be the tough games next season.

MO St., Ill. State and Youngstown have a chance to beat us as well, but I do not put them in with that top group.

Then you have Indiana State which I do not look to be much of a challenge.

Gil Dobie
April 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
When you get in a conference, as they saying goes anygivensaturday, except maybe Indiana St. Should be a dogfight.

Bison101
April 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Could Austin Peay pose a challenge?

Mountain Panther
April 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Going off memory you lost QB Walker and LB Mays....what other starters did you lose?

What key players besides RB Rohl are back?

Bison101
April 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Going off memory you lost QB Walker and LB Mays....what other starters did you lose?

What key players besides RB Rohl are back?

We also lost Dragosavich, Nate Safe, and countless others. (I believe we lost 11 starters total).

Other key players that are back are Ramone Humber, Pat Paschall, Kole Heckendorf, Alex Belquist, Jeremiah Wurzbacher, and a new QB named Nick Mertens.

Mertens looks like he'll be a stud. After all, he did study under one of the best.

FargoBison
April 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Returning starters in bold....

QB-Mertens, Brecke, Mohler, Wentz
RB-Roehl, Paschall, McNorton
FB-Jangula, Vandal
WR-Heck, Belquist, Shultenover, Williams, Holloway
TE-Wurz, Brown, Veldman
LT-Ebel
LG-Arndt
C-Harrington, Septak
RG-Foster
RT-Buckman, Backowski

DE-Lardinois, Sharpe or Johnson
NG-Fairbairn, JUCO transfer
DT-Gratzek(rotated with starter)
DE-Compton, Boyer, Stockzinski
WLB-Maresh, Anderson, Hazley-Freeman
MLB-Henry, Beson
SLB-Humber, Kittleson, Hazley-Freeman
RCB-Bowman, Agebetola
SS-Belmont, Lemon
FS-Schommer
RCB-Richardson, Colvin, Mitchell

P-????
K-Bibeau
LS-Curtis
KR/PR-Washingon, Williams

Bison101
April 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Returning starters in bold....

QB-Mertens, Brecke, Mohler, Wentz
RB-Roehl, Paschall, McNorton
FB-Jangula, Vandal
WR-Heck, Belquist, Shultenover, Williams, Holloway
TE-Wurz, Brown, Veldman
LT-Ebel
LG-Arndt
C-Harrington, Septak
RG-Foster
RT-Buckman, Backowski

DE-Lardinois, Sharpe or Johnson
NG-Fairbairn, JUCO transfer
DT-Gratzek(rotated with starter)
DE-Compton, Boyer, Stockzinski
WLB-Maresh, Anderson, Hazley-Freeman
MLB-Henry, Beson
SLB-Humber, Kittleson, Hazley-Freeman
RCB-Bowman, Agebetola
SS-Belmont, Lemon
FS-Schommer
RCB-Richardson, Colvin, Mitchell

P-????
K-Bibeau
LS-Curtis
KR/PR-Washingon, Williams

Yes, I believe that NDSU is ready for the first year of eligibilty. xthumbsupx

swaghook
April 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
3rd place finish in the Gateway guarantees a spot in the playoffs.

I wouldn't put money on that one.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Why not? 5 CAA teams got in the playoffs last season.

With NDSU and SDSU, the 9 team Gateway deserved 4 spots but I predict they will only get 3.

WrenFGun
April 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
They'll need 7, and potentially 8, DI wins, though. If they can get there, and be in third, then yeah, they'll be a lock.

blackfordpu
April 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
All I know is I can't wait for the Bison to visit Bower's in 09. xnodx

PantherRob82
April 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'd say the new Gateway is almost guaranteed 3 spots.

AmsterBison
April 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
There are some highlights of a scrimmage here:

http://www.wday.com/

Right now, it's the selected clip in the video player. They change that up a bit so you might have to look through the "Video Highlights" for "Bison Hit the Road."

Some nice runs by the #2 RB (#2 Pat Paschall) against the #2 defense.

Due to the very long winter, the scrimmage had to moved to a HS field west of Fargo.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM
All I know is I can't wait for the Bison to visit Bower's in 09. xnodx

We'll just have to see if that happens or not.

NDSU wants to give its loyal fans 6 home games a year and we're already signed up to go to Iowa State in 09.

blackfordpu
April 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
We'll just have to see if that happens or not.

NDSU wants to give its loyal fans 6 home games a year and we're already signed up to go to Iowa State in 09.

I understand why your AD would be scared to come down here.

AmsterBison
April 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Hehe, Do not mistake anything that MplsBison writes as representing the opinion of NDSU's AD... or any other Bison supporter, for that matter.

Thunderstruck84
April 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think the defense will be fine, it may be a little susceptible to the pass but even with the loss of Mays should be improved over last year. Tyler Henry played well in spot duty when he took over for Mays.

I think the biggest question mark will be the O-line. The Bison have a terrific trio of backs with Roehl, Paschall, and McNorton and Mertens seems ready to take over the offense and will have an experienced group of receivers to throw to. However, the O-line lost 3 starters including All-American Nate Safe but those positions have been said to be very deep on NDSU's squad the last two years so hopefully the reserves can step in without missing a beat.

To win in the Gateway a team needs to run the ball and the Bison have the horses in the backfield to do it, it's just a matter of if they have the hogs up front to do it. As long as the O-line can protect him I really think that Mertens can do most of the things that Walker did last year.

My biased prediction is 9-2(6-2) with a win at Wyoming sprinkled in there.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Sure, he's scared.

If that is what allows you to sleep at night, we have no trouble playing along.

FCS football is a business. It's run by business men.

If you're going to act like a child about this, then you'll be treated as a child.

Ronbo
April 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
You did lose a couple really key players but only what, 11-12 seniors? That always indicates a veteran team that should have a good squad.

andy7171
April 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Sure, he's scared.

If you're going to act like a child about this, then you'll be treated as a child.
If the whole point of renegging on a contract is to give the fans a 6 game home schedule, why not honor the contract and fill one of two open dates?

BisonBacker
April 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
We will be playing that game in 09 so don't worry. I agree on the O-Line comments. If we have guys who can step in and pick up where we lost players to graduation I feel good about this team. The one intangible will be at QB. Game time clutch playmaking QB's like Walker are hard to replace. I feel good about our new QB but only gameday will really tell us how he's going to perform. Hopefully he had some of the moxy that walker had rub off on him.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
In an 11 game schedule there are only 3 open dates when you have an 8 game conference schedule.

One of those is an away game to Iowa State.

Therefore, we can only have 6 home games if the other 2 are also home games.

Going down to Huntsville would ruin that plan.

Obviously we would be backing out of the contract, but the contract wasn't fair in the first place.

We had to pay SHSU to come to Fargo and they are not paying NDSU anything to come to Huntsville.

It deserves to be broken, IMO.

BisonBacker
April 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
In an 11 game schedule there are only 3 open dates when you have an 8 game conference schedule.

One of those is an away game to Iowa State.

Therefore, we can only have 6 home games if the other 2 are also home games.

Going down to Huntsville would ruin that plan.

Obviously we would be backing out of the contract, but the contract wasn't fair in the first place.

We had to pay SHSU to come to Fargo and they are not paying NDSU anything to come to Huntsville.

It deserves to be broken, IMO.

That makes no sense. A contract that deserves to be broken? You are advocating something that we have drilled others about not doing. Please stop with that nonsense. We signed a contract with SHSU and we will honor it.

TheBisonator
April 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
That makes no sense. A contract that deserves to be broken? You are advocating something that we have drilled others about not doing. Please stop with that nonsense. We signed a contract with SHSU and we will honor it.

He just wants us to play und, you know that.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
No, that is not my priority in the slightest.

My priority, as stated, is for NDSU to have 6 home games every season.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
We signed a contract with SHSU and we will honor it.

It would not be dishonoring the contract to exercise the buyout clause that was included within.

BisonBacker
April 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Then we become what so many Bison Fans derided Montana fans and Montana State fans or more accurately their respective schools ad's for. I for one don't want to see NDSU become "Buyout U". That's not what were about. We should honor the contract and then in the future do one and dones without the promise of a return trip. That's the way to do it.

Bison101
April 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
They'll need 7, and potentially 8, DI wins, though. If they can get there, and be in third, then yeah, they'll be a lock.

I think we will easily be able to get 7 wins, because we have 6 home games (we haven't been defeated at home in a long time), and chances are that we get at least one win on the road. If not 5. xnodx

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Then we become what so many Bison Fans derided Montana fans and Montana State fans or more accurately their respective schools ad's for. I for one don't want to see NDSU become "Buyout U". That's not what were about. We should honor the contract and then in the future do one and dones without the promise of a return trip. That's the way to do it.

The SHSU case was different in that we paid them to come to Fargo.

That means we are ethically justified in exercising the buyout clause.

It, in effect, turns into a guarantee game, which is what we wanted in the first place.

OrygunBison
April 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The SHSU case was different in that we paid them to come to Fargo.

That means we are ethically justified in exercising the buyout clause.

It, in effect, turns into a guarantee game, which is what we wanted in the first place.

Dude, you've hijacked this thread. Please add this dialog to the pointless thread that you've started about this previously.

Back on topic, I personally don't think we'll miss a beat this year. If anything, this team will be better but maybe not so lucky. While Steve Walker was a great gamer that could lead a team from behind, I feel that Mertens won't need the comebacks as often. We'll roll (Roehl) some teams next year.

blackfordpu
April 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Sure, he's scared.

What the hell are you talking about? Treating me like a child, man grow up. Who are you, Mlpwho?

Maybe I should have substituted the word scared for hesitant. Highly ranked schools from the north don't have a great track record at Bowers Stadium, just ask the 2004 Montana team. It is hot and humid down here, tough to play in if you are not used to it. Also, football is a business? What does that have to do with anything. Your team is going to try to make it to the playoffs next season, you don't think a possible win over the Kats (doubtful ;)) would help your cause for that?

Also, from what I understand, SHSU is paying for NDSU's travel to Huntsville in 09 so you can throw that out the window. NDSU signed a contract and I hope they live up to it. It would be nice to have another game like last years but with the Kats coming out on top this time. xnodx

blackfordpu
April 14th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Dude, you've hijacked this thread. Please add this dialog to the pointless thread that you've started about this previously.

Back on topic, I personally don't think we'll miss a beat this year. If anything, this team will be better but maybe not so lucky. While Steve Walker was a great gamer that could lead a team from behind, I feel that Mertens won't need the comebacks as often. We'll roll (Roehl) some teams next year.

Walker graduated?

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
It is hot and humid down here, tough to play in if you are not used to it.

Southern teams that NDSU has beaten on the road:

Nicholls
Northwestern St.
SFA
Georgia Southern

Heat means nothing.

from what I understand, SHSU is paying for NDSU's travel to Huntsville in 09 so you can throw that out the window.

I don't believe it for a second.

If you can show where SHSU is paying ndsu $50k, like we gave SHSU last season to come up to Fargo, then you will have made your point.

stevdock
April 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I think the Bison's biggest weakness right now is the O-Line and D-line. Our depth at O-line is great, so I think we'll be fine there, just unproven. D-line we have alot of starters returning, but have very little depth especially at D tackle. If we have one guy go down on the d-line, it could easily cripple our defense. All other positions we are very good at with excellent depth also.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
There should be 2 interior Dline transfers coming this summer. That should help with depth.

As far as the ends go, we might struggle if the starters go down.

McNeese75
April 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Southern teams that NDSU has beaten on the road:

Nicholls
Northwestern St.
SFA
Georgia Southern

Heat means nothing.

I don't believe it for a second.

If you can show where SHSU is paying ndsu $50k, like we gave SHSU last season to come up to Fargo, then you will have made your point.

You call that a guarantee game???? xlolx

FargoBison
April 15th, 2008, 11:38 AM
We actually gave SHSU a 100k or a little more. That covered both travel and an extra bonus for giving us the first home game. It is my understanding that for the return trip SHSU will cover our travel expenses.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
100k or more is even worse.

There is no way it would be unethical for NDSU to buy out that contract.

Certainly not when we can make 300k on a home game.

blackfordpu
April 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
We actually gave SHSU a 100k or a little more. That covered both travel and an extra bonus for giving us the first home game. It is my understanding that for the return trip SHSU will cover our travel expenses.

There you go Mplwho, someone else who says that SHSU is paying for your travel to Huntsville. As for the money, you will be getting paid to come to Huntsville as well. It is a home and home, you paid us first and we will pay you when you come here.

I am sure glad the other Bison posters on this board are not like you. Why would you not want to see another game like the one was saw last season? This board is for football fans not business men.

stevdock
April 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
MplsBison you are probably right that is would be considered ok to do since we paid their way up. But it is the wrong thing to do. There is absolutely no GOOD reason why we should buy them out of this game. We should prove that we are different then the Montana schools who have done it in the past. And while I'm sure that most schools have done it in the past at least once, let's not start that at NDSU. It would be different if they were in a lower division, but since they are not and they are actually a good team, we have no reason not to play them. I would gladly miss out on an extra home game, if that would help ensure that our team was battle tested as we head into the playoffs.

FargoBison
April 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
NDSU has a good relationship with Southland schools and I don't see the point in doing anything to harm that relationship because we want a 6th home game. The team also recruits Texas heavily and playing at SHSU will only help in doing that. This trip will be returned, all signs but Mplsbison's warped logic point to it happening.

blackfordpu
April 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
MplsBison you are probably right that is would be considered ok to do since we paid their way up. But it is the wrong thing to do. There is absolutely no GOOD reason why we should buy them out of this game. We should prove that we are different then the Montana schools who have done it in the past. And while I'm sure that most schools have done it in the past at least once, let's not start that at NDSU. It would be different if they were in a lower division, but since they are not and they are actually a good team, we have no reason not to play them. I would gladly miss out on an extra home game, if that would help ensure that our team was battle tested as we head into the playoffs.

SD, the argument that it would be "ok" to cancel is not valid. SHSU will be paying your way down to Huntsville, should we buy NDSU out so we don't have to do that? No, that would be rediculous. If you AD had a problem with any of the terms in the contract or thought they were unfair he would not have signed it. Here is to a great game in 2009.

Now, back to the 2008 Bison talk, carry on.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
t is a home and home, you paid us first and we will pay you when you come here.

This is still not confirmed.

And no one has attempted to confirm if the payments will be equal in size.

If we paid SHSU 100k and they are offering to pay us 25k, that's not a fair deal and I say we buy out.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The team also recruits Texas heavily and playing at SHSU will only help in doing that.

No we don't.

We only got one recruit last year from Texas. And the only reason we went into Texas in the first place was because of the contacts that Coach Moore took with him to UCLA.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
If you AD had a problem with any of the terms in the contract or thought they were unfair he would not have signed it.

And included within that contract that he and your AD signed is a buy out clause.

Therefore a buyout is valid.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
There is absolutely no GOOD reason why we should buy them out of this game.

Why travel down to SHSU and risk losing that game when we can bring in a mid major team to Fargo for 300k worth of revenue and a guaranteed win?

With the Gateway schedule being the toughest in the FCS, we have no incentive to schedule hard non conference games.

slostang
April 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
This is still not confirmed.

And no one has attempted to confirm if the payments will be equal in size.

If we paid SHSU 100k and they are offering to pay us 25k, that's not a fair deal and I say we buy out.

You are always asking for proof yet you never offer any of your own. Where is your proof that NDSU paid SHSU and SHSU is not paying NDSU for the return?

FargoBison
April 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
You are always asking for proof yet you never offer any of your own. Where is your proof that NDSU paid SHSU and SHSU is not paying NDSU for the return?

He has none, SHSU will pay our travel expenses and they are going to be a lot higher then 25k. Mpls also fails to realize that our contract with SHSU is a home and home so it has a buyout clause, the 100k or whatever we gave them right away was not the buyout.

bisonguy
April 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM

No doubt. I want to see the check. xrulesx

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
SHSU will pay our travel expenses

Not confirmed by anyone with credibility at stake.

When the Forum or areavoices has it, I'll belive it.

the 100k or whatever we gave them right away was not the buyout.

We would have to pay SHSU whatever the buyout is.

But that would be financially worth it considering the revenue a home game brings in.

And on top of that, it's the principle of the thing.

A true home/home is one where each team pays for its own travel expenses.

swaghook
April 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Why travel down to SHSU and risk losing that game when we can bring in a mid major team to Fargo for 300k worth of revenue and a guaranteed win?

With the Gateway schedule being the toughest in the FCS, we have no incentive to schedule hard non conference games.It has to do with having integrity and honor. NDSU will not buyout SHSU. Take your crap somewhere else.xnonono2x

OrygunBison
April 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Mpls has continued to hijack this thread. Nice work.

I am hereby calling on all posters to not respond to his posts. Quit feeding into it.

Additionally, whenever Mpls hijacks a thread in the future, do your best to change the subject. Write about the weather or a deal happening at your local Hooters...anything but the subject that he (she?) wants to discuss. After all, that is the courtesy that he has given you.

OrygunBison
April 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about the potential of this team? I, for one, am pumped.

Bison101
April 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about the potential of this team? I, for one, am pumped.

This team should be one of the best i've seen in years, (although I said that last year too), because we have a "run-in gun" QB, a strong RB core, experienced WR, a "no-fly zone" on secondary, and what should be a surprising DL.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
NDSU will not buyout SHSU.

Maybe we won't.

But as a matter of fact we should.

FargoBison
April 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This team should be one of the best i've seen in years, (although I said that last year too), because we have a "run-in gun" QB, a strong RB core, experienced WR, a "no-fly zone" on secondary, and what should be a surprising DL.

Don't forget about Ramon Humber at LB....

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper860/stills/209boou0.jpg

http://www.dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/196377053_FXs2P-L.jpg

OrygunBison
April 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I LOVE that CalPoly shot.

bisonguy
April 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
LOL- thanks for posting that second photo of Humber vs. SHSU.

Back in some discussion on Humber's athletic ability I knew I had a photo of Humber leaping while a QB was throwing, but couldn't find it.....xsmhx xlolx

blackfordpu
April 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
LOL- thanks for posting that second photo of Humber vs. SHSU.

Back in some discussion on Humber's athletic ability I knew I had a photo of Humber leaping while a QB was throwing, but couldn't find it.....xsmhx xlolx

That boy has some serious ups!xeekx

I-AA Fan
April 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
A 1st, 2nd or 3rd place finish in the Gateway guarantees a spot in the playoffs.

We should be at least 2-1 heading into Youngstown and Gateway conference play.

UNI, SDSU, Western Ill., and Southern Ill. are going to be the tough games next season.

MO St., Ill. State and Youngstown have a chance to beat us as well, but I do not put them in with that top group.

Then you have Indiana State which I do not look to be much of a challenge.

Not placing YSU in with the top group could be a very big mistake. Even with noticeable losses in the backfield & having 3 of 5 go down up front on offense, and 2 of three best LB's out as well ...YSU lost all I-AA games by a total of 13-points last year, with no non-conference losses ...including a win over a team that beat NDSU. Certainly it is far too early for me to even give much of any opinion on the 2008 guins ...I just think you are giving YSU too little credit, and NDSU too much. YSU is never a lower tier GFC club & NDSU has yet to prove they even belong. On a more positive note for NDSU & SDSU ...the last two GFC national champs came to schools in their first & second year of being in the GFC ...WKU in 2002 (second year) and YSU in 1997 (first year).

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
YSU is just a shadow of the Tressel era.

They still get good players, no doubt. But as a team, they don't win the big games anymore.

Bison101
April 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Not placing YSU in with the top group could be a very big mistake. Even with noticeable losses in the backfield & having 3 of 5 go down up front on offense, and 2 of three best LB's out as well ...YSU lost all I-AA games by a total of 13-points last year, with no non-conference losses ...including a win over a team that beat NDSU. Certainly it is far too early for me to even give much of any opinion on the 2008 guins ...I just think you are giving YSU too little credit, and NDSU too much. YSU is never a lower tier GFC club & NDSU has yet to prove they even belong. On a more positive note for NDSU & SDSU ...the last two GFC national champs came to schools in their first & second year of being in the GFC ...WKU in 2002 (second year) and YSU in 1997 (first year).

I see where you are going with the Youngstown St. comment, and it is true. I believe that they are one of the top teams.

However, when you say that NDSU has yet to prove they belong, how about the wins over Gateway teams? Illinois State and Western Illinois were both beaten by the Bison.

nevadagriz
April 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I think the Bison will do really well this year and hope they make the playoffs! They have proved the last couple years they are a top team.
I think their biggest weakness this year will be..............mnplsbison!

FargoBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I think the game at YSU could very well be the toughest game we play. Good team, long trip out there, and its on the back side of what should be a tough game with Wyoming.

stevdock
April 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM

With the Gateway schedule being the toughest in the FCS, we have no incentive to schedule hard non conference games.

Who wants a guaranteed win?? How is that going to get us ready for the playoffs. Not to pick on Montana and McNeese but I'm guessing they had a few more games to get them ready for the playoffs last year.

stevdock
April 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
SD, the argument that it would be "ok" to cancel is not valid. SHSU will be paying your way down to Huntsville, should we buy NDSU out so we don't have to do that? No, that would be rediculous. If you AD had a problem with any of the terms in the contract or thought they were unfair he would not have signed it. Here is to a great game in 2009.

Now, back to the 2008 Bison talk, carry on.

Thanks for reading the only sentence where I supported the buyout. If you read the rest of the paragraph you would have seen that I completely support going to Huntsville and hopefully getting us ready for the playoffs in 2009.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think the game at YSU could very well be the toughest game we play. Good team, long trip out there, and its on the back side of what should be a tough game with Wyoming.

On that note, I would compare our 2008 game with Youngstown to our 2007 game with Western Ill.

WIU was a very good and underrated team last season. We beat them in a tougher than the score showed game at Macomb after handily beating Central Michigan.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Who wants a guaranteed win?? How is that going to get us ready for the playoffs.

Of course they won't get us ready for the playoffs. How could they? Those games happen at the start of the year.

Games vs. LSU and Ohio State wouldn't get us ready for the playoffs if we played them in weeks 1-3 either.

With the Gateway schedule being the toughest in the nation, we need easy games non conference or we risk not making it to the playoffs or limping into the playoffs after a long, hard season.

Don't be such a greedy fan.

You'll get 8 great games every year with the Gateway schedule guaranteed.

stevdock
April 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM

You'll get 8 great games every year with the Gateway schedule guaranteed.

Thanks for telling me I am so greedy for asking my team to play good teams. Yes I get that we don't want to limp through the conference, but I'd rather play real teams then some of the real poor teams we have played throughout the transitition. I do apologize for being so greedy though. I'm sorry

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on this site in a long time.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
You don't care about the health of the players. You want them to pound their heads against the toughest ranked teams we can find week in and week out just so you are entertained to the fullest possible extent.

Well I for one am glad that you will be disappointed.

Come playoff time when we have a fresh team to take on that 4 game stretch to Chattanooga, maybe you'll get a clue.

swaghook
April 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Of course they won't get us ready for the playoffs. How could they? Those games happen at the start of the year.

Games vs. LSU and Ohio State wouldn't get us ready for the playoffs if we played them in weeks 1-3 either.

With the Gateway schedule being the toughest in the nation, we need easy games non conference or we risk not making it to the playoffs or limping into the playoffs after a long, hard season.

You'll get 8 great games every year with the Gateway schedule guaranteed.xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Have a cookie

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/stfu-oreo.jpg

stevdock
April 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm not for one second saying that we should play 11 tough games every year. In fact, I'm not all that in favor of playing FCS teams just for what you stated. I do think though that in '09 to get ready for the heat and humidity for this game, we will have to be in great shape. For the Wyoming game to play in the high altitudes we are going to have to be in great shape. Yes those games that you have to be in wonderful shape for are really going to hurt us down the road. Can't see any reason why in Nov and Dec why being in great shape is going to help us? What was I thinking?

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
The Gateway schedule will get us in all the shapes we need to be for the playoffs.

Anything after that is just wear and tear.

Cap'n Cat
April 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
On that note, I would compare our 2008 game with Youngstown to our 2007 game with Western Ill.

WIU was a very good and underrated team last season. We beat them in a tougher than the score showed game at Macomb after handily beating Central Michigan.

Indiana State would beaten Central Michigan.

xrolleyesx

NDSU 41
WIU 28

UNI 40
WIU 3

Problems on defense, Buffs?

xcoffeex

BearsCountry
April 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
If I didnt respect the rest of NDSU fan base, I would be wishing the Bison would get their butts beaten every week bc of Mpls.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
If I didnt respect the rest of NDSU fan base, I would be wishing the Bison would get their butts beaten every week bc of Mpls.

Talk is cheap. You'll get your chance this season.

swaghook
April 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Just keep in mind that DaveK would probably win a popularity contest against MplsBison with the other Bison fans voting. Maybe a poll should be taken to see if this bears out to be true?

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
If it bears out?

Are you making a joke about MSU's mascot?

Poly Pigskin
April 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Talk is cheap. You'll get your chance this season.

Good thing it's cheap, or you'd be broke xwhistlex

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
We've already walked all over Poly, both in Fargo and in SLO.

slostang
April 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Walked all over Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo????

2005 Cal Poly 37-6 over NDSU.

2007 NDSU 31-28 over Cal Poly on a 80 yard TD with 38 seconds left.

NDSU did walk all over Cal Poly in 2006 in Fargo, but Cal Poly did beat the Bison in Fargo in 2004. The way I see it the serries is tied at 2-2.

PantherRob82
April 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM

NDSU did walk all over Cal Poly in 2006 in Fargo, but Cal Poly did beat the Bison in Fargo in 2004. The way I see it the serries is tied at 2-2.

In his world that is walking all over.

Gil Dobie
April 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I am waiting for the Mplsbison session to end, and get back to the original topic of the thread. xrolleyesx

slostang
April 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I am waiting for the Mplsbison session to end, and get back to the original topic of the thread. xrolleyesx

I agree. Sorry for straying off topic and into Mplsbison's world. I should know better.

As far as the Bison, I think the X-factor will be how Nick Mertens does replacing Walker. You know that the Bison will have a great running game and they will be physical on defense. If Mertens does well the Bison will roll again in 2008.

Gil Dobie
April 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I agree. Sorry for straying off topic and into Mplsbison's world. I should know better.

As far as the Bison, I think the X-factor will be how Nick Mertens does replacing Walker. You know that the Bison will have a great running game and they will be physical on defense. If Mertens does well the Bison will roll again in 2008.

Good point slostang, Mertens is good, but untested in an actual game. The D-Line is also young. Good experience coming back at RB and WR.

MplsBison
April 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I actually think that Mertens is too athletic to waste at the QB position.

He's a strong runner who also has a nice arm.

Brecke is more of a pure passer in the mold of Walker.

But may the best man win out.

NDB
April 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM

2007 was more of a quick scamper. :0

Good luck with the 08 campaign 'Stangs!

ericsaid
April 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
A game that would draw a huge t.v. audience and a live game audience would be App State and NDSU. Of any possible national championship games, that in my opinion would be the best.

NDSUFREAK
April 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i'd be scared if i were SDSU fans to go back to the FFD after last years game....thunder is gonna be rollin louder than ever

Bison101
April 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
i'd be scared if i were SDSU fans to go back to the FFD after last years game....thunder is gonna be rollin louder than ever

Thunder is gonna be "ROEHLIN'" louder than ever!

ROEHLIN' as in "Tyler Roehl"

JBB
April 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
SDSU fans are welcome at the Fabulous Fargo Dome! Its a huge game in Fargo. It really doesn't matter what the records are. Throw out the record book, thats what this series is teaching us. Its for the Dakota Title, The Marker and anything else thats up for grabs.

TheBisonator
April 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
We take the Marker BACK in 08!!!

slostang
April 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
2007 was more of a quick scamper. :0

Good luck with the 08 campaign 'Stangs!

Thanks. Best of luck to the Bison in 2008. Maybe we will see the Bison in the playoffs. That would be one hell of a game.

JackTwice
April 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
SDSU fans are welcome at the Fabulous Fargo Dome! Its a huge game in Fargo. It really doesn't matter what the records are. Throw out the record book, thats what this series is teaching us. Its for the Dakota Title, The Marker and anything else thats up for grabs.

I've seen the last three SDSU games at the Dome. One thing we have to hang our hat on is that the games seem to be getting closer each time. I am looking forward to seeing the day when the Jacks come out with a victory.

MplsBison
April 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Wouldn't that be something if the Gateway title was decided on Nov 22 in Fargo?

That will be a great game regardless.

I really think that NDSU/SDSU has turned out to be quite the rivalry game.

Please don't take this personally SDSU fans, but I think you can appreciate that our rivalry with you will never match the same intensity that we have with UND (and I would assume that you have with USD).

Nevertheless, it's a great rivalry!

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I enjoy the SDSU/NDSU game more than any UND game. The UND game was just plain nasty. A UND friend of mine with a Fargo car dealership sticker on his vehicle, got beatup in Grand Forks by a group of drunk Sioux fans after one game. I am sure the Bison fans have done some stupid stuff too. I really don't care to be around that type of atmosphere. :(

stevdock
April 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I enjoy the SDSU/NDSU game more than any UND game. The UND game was just plain nasty. A UND friend of mine with a Fargo car dealership sticker on his vehicle, got beatup in Grand Forks by a group of drunk Sioux fans after one game. I am sure the Bison fans have done some stupid stuff too. I really don't care to be around that type of atmosphere. :(

I completely agree with all your points there. SDSU game is much more respectful than when we played UND, and especially since SDSU has upped their talent level it will eventually turn out to be a great rivalry. I went to the last 10-12 NDSU/UND games, and I could care less to be playing them on the field again in the future. Interesting thing though, if we stay in the Gateway and UND does not get in the Gateway, and if both teams make the playoffs that will more often than not be our first round playoff game, due to the regionalization. Could easily turn into what happened with Delaware and Delaware St. in the playoffs this last year.

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I completely agree with all your points there. SDSU game is much more respectful than when we played UND, and especially since SDSU has upped their talent level it will eventually turn out to be a great rivalry. I went to the last 10-12 NDSU/UND games, and I could care less to be playing them on the field again in the future. Interesting thing though, if we stay in the Gateway and UND does not get in the Gateway, and if both teams make the playoffs that will more often than not be our first round playoff game, due to the regionalization. Could easily turn into what happened with Delaware and Delaware St. in the playoffs this last year.

Although, I don't believe that we wil be seeing UND in the playoffs for at least 5 years. And that, is a fact.

I-AA Fan
April 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I see where you are going with the Youngstown St. comment, and it is true. I believe that they are one of the top teams.

However, when you say that NDSU has yet to prove they belong, how about the wins over Gateway teams? Illinois State and Western Illinois were both beaten by the Bison.

Here is a scenario. YSU plays non-football sports in the Horizon League. The conference's top team in men's basketball is Butler, with 4 sweet-16's in the past 5 years. Now the Bulldogs are indeed a great basketball team & state that because of these accomplishments, they are not a mid-major program. However, 18 of their games each season come against teams from the Horizon league. Yes, they did defeat UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State and other top-25 teams in that same time period. They also won the NIT post & Pre seasons, they won the Great Alaska Shootout, the top-of the world tournament as well. Yet they did not play all of the clubs from the Big-10 twice, or all of the teams in the PAC-10 (home and away) each of those years. When and if Butler joins big-6 conference and dominates as they do in the Horizon, then I will stop calling them a mid-major club.

Apply that to the Bison. YSU participated in 8 post-seasons between 1990 & 1999, made the final 6 times, won 4 titles ...yet never won the a single conference crown in that same time period. YSU only won the GFC twice since joining in 1997 (and did not even make the post-season one of those two times), despite one national championship, one additional final game appearance, and an additional semi-final appearance since they joined the GFC in 1997. Yet never lost to a GWFC team over that same period.

Moral of the story ... I have no doubts the Bison will do well in the GFC, I just prefer to wait until it happens.

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Here is a scenario. YSU plays non-football sports in the Horizon League. The conference's top team in men's basketball is Butler, with 4 sweet-16's in the past 5 years. Now the Bulldogs are indeed a great basketball team & state that because of these accomplishments, they are not a mid-major program. However, 18 of their games each season come against teams from the Horizon league. Yes, they did defeat UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State and other top-25 teams in that same time period. They also won the NIT post & Pre seasons, they won the Great Alaska Shootout, the top-of the world tournament as well. Yet they did not play all of the clubs from the Big-10 twice, or all of the teams in the PAC-10 (home and away) each of those years. When and if Butler joins big-6 conference and dominates as they do in the Horizon, then I will stop calling them a mid-major club.

Apply that to the Bison. YSU participated in 8 post-seasons between 1990 & 1999, made the final 6 times, won 4 titles ...yet never won the a single conference crown in that same time period. YSU only won the GFC twice since joining in 1997 (and did not even make the post-season one of those two times), despite one national championship, one additional final game appearance, and an additional semi-final appearance since they joined the GFC in 1997. Yet never lost to a GWFC team over that same period.

Moral of the story ... I have no doubts the Bison will do well in the GFC, I just prefer to wait until it happens.

You won't have to wait long! xnodx

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yesterday, QB Nick Mertens hit Kole Heckendorf for a 50-yard score during a scrimmage.

A preview of what is to come! xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Fine with me.

One more seat freed up for fans who actually want to watch the games.

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Fine with me.

Jacks02
April 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Yeah, we're shaking in our boots..xbowx

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Fine with me.

Not if I don't sell or give away my tickets. :D

slostang
April 18th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Gil you fell into to the feeding the Mplsbison session trap like I did.xsmiley_wix

MplsBison
April 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Not if I don't sell or give away my tickets. :D

But then you did buy tickets and are thus supporting the game.

Either way you lose and NDSU, UND and the state of North Dakota win.

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, we're shaking in our boots..xbowx

Jacks 02, was that just sarcasm?

Because I believe that all of Brookings is literally shaking from the the hooves of the stampeding Bison. xnodx

Bison101
April 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Because I believe that all of Brookings is literally shaking from the the hooves of the stampeding Bison. xnodx

And those same Bison are waiting for a response.

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2008, 10:24 PM
But then you did buy tickets and are thus supporting the game.

Either way you lose and NDSU, UND and the state of North Dakota win.

No, I win either way, I save more on gas than using the ticket, but I am still supporting Bison Football. I'll save my gas money for the other games. xthumbsupx

Bison101
April 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
No, I win either way, I save more on gas than using the ticket, but I am still supporting Bison Football. I'll save my gas money for the other games. xthumbsupx

Like the giant roadtrip to Laramie! xnodx

Gil Dobie
April 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Like the giant roadtrip to Laramie! xnodx

Or Cedar Falls xthumbsupx

Jacks02
April 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM

No sarcasm at all. Just paying homage to the greatest football program in the history of FCS. We feel honored that you allow us to step on the field with you again this year. Please don't hurt us.

xliarx

Bison101
April 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
No sarcasm at all. Just paying homage to the greatest football program in the history of FCS. We feel honored that you allow us to step on the field with you again this year. Please don't hurt us.

xliarx

Thank you for the non-sarcasm, and calling us the greatest program in the FCS. It may be an over-statement, but it is taken with much gratitude. Hope to see another good one in the Fargodome!

Bison101
April 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Or Cedar Falls xthumbsupx

Or Youngstown! xrotatehx

Gil Dobie
April 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM

This isn't the Georgia Southern thread. xeyebrowx

Bison101
April 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
This isn't the Georgia Southern thread. xeyebrowx

I think what he means is that we were one of the most storied programs in D-II, and have brought our history of championships and great games to the FCS.

BisonBacker
April 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
NDSU's offense is going to have a real tough time to live up to the last few years, it's a tall order. The spring game should give us some ideas but one of the last practice games the offense had one big play via the pass but after that I'm not to sure about any big plays happening. I just get a feeling offensively we are not going to be quite as productive as we have been in the last couple years it's just a gut feeling but I hope I'm wrong. Our run game I think will be very good but teams are going to key in on the run and force us to prove our passing game can beat them. It should be interesting but our QB lacks gametime experience having been behind Walker so he's untested so to speak. He's got big shoes to fill. I'm looking forward to seeing him play but I do think our offensive output will be down this year.

Jacks02
April 20th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I think what he means is that we were one of the most storied programs in D-II, and have brought our history of championships and great games to the FCS.

Apparently the pinnochio-nosed smiley face on my post was too subtle. xsmiley_wix

Bison101
April 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Apparently the pinnochio-nosed smiley face on my post was too subtle. xsmiley_wix

Oh. Now I see it! Pretty slick, 02. Guess this is gonna have to be chosen in the Fargodome this November!

By the way....

I'm very glad to be on the field with such an experienced SDSU team, with lots of character and players that have brought their great history in the NCC to the Gateway. It's great to be playing you guys.

xliarx xliarx xliarx

JackTwice
April 21st, 2008, 08:28 PM
By the way....

I'm very glad to be on the field with such an experienced SDSU team, with lots of character and players that have brought their great history in the NCC to the Gateway. It's great to be playing you guys.

xliarx xliarx xliarx

Sometimes NDSU fans are like that kid who was a good athlete in his small town high school. He gets to college and he's always wearing around his letter jacket, maybe even a state champions tshirt and has pictures of his glory days put up in his room. It usually takes him a month or two to realize he's just another average joe and his high school glory days mean $hat with the hot college women who are just as interested in the kid who hit a growth spurt after he graduated high school and has come into his own.
xrolleyesx

Bison101
April 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Sometimes NDSU fans are like that kid who was a good athlete in his small town high school. He gets to college and he's always wearing around his letter jacket, maybe even a state champions tshirt and has pictures of his glory days put up in his room. It usually takes him a month or two to realize he's just another average joe and his high school glory days mean $hat with the hot college women who are just as interested in the kid who hit a growth spurt after he graduated high school and has come into his own.
xrolleyesx

What's your point?

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
xrolleyesx

Between fans talking about UND hockey and SDSU basketball, I know what you mean. xlolx

JackTwice
April 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
What's your point?

I'll spell it out for you.

90% of the people on this board (and thusly FCS) could give a $hat about what your history in Div-II is. When SDSU and NDSU moved up they were both nothings to anyone. Just like no one in college really cares about what people did in high school.

Now, both have done well for themselves since the transition. People could say that NDSU has been better and I would not argue with them. But when it comes down to it we are 2-2 head to head in our FCS history.

So again, please do not fall back on your history of winning D-II national titles 15-20 years ago. It means nothing now that we are FCS.

Back to NDSU outlook. Is Mertens the Junior QB you guys got out of East Grand or somewhere near there?

Bison77
April 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM

90% of the people on this board (and thusly FCS) could give a $hat about what your history in Div-II is. When SDSU and NDSU moved up they were both nothings to anyone. Just like no one in college really cares about what people did in high school.

Now, both have done well for themselves since the transition. People could say that NDSU has been better and I would not argue with them. But when it comes down to it we are 2-2 head to head in our FCS history.

So again, please do not fall back on your history of winning D-II national titles 15-20 years ago. It means nothing now that we are FCS.

Back to NDSU outlook. Is Mertens the Junior QB you guys got out of East Grand or somewhere near there?

If I didn't have ANY sucess in DII I guess I'd feel the same way. Mertens from East Grand Forks, MN.

Bison101
April 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah, Mertens is our new star QB. He's from EGF. He has a cannon-arm and fast legs. A lethal weapon.

JackTwice
April 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Between fans talking about UND hockey and SDSU basketball, I know what you mean. xlolx

Point well taken!

Please understand Gil, I am not ripping on all Bison fans but it does get a bit tiring listening to the same stuff over and over from a small group of people. I was just kind of in a mood the other night.

Bison101
April 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Point well taken!

Please understand Gil, I am not ripping on all Bison fans but it does get a bit tiring listening to the same stuff over and over from a small group of people. I was just kind of in a mood the other night.

Completely understandable.

I really do hope to have a good game. Hopefully the Gateway title will be deceide on the turf of the Fargodome!

BearsCountry
April 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Completely understandable.

I really do hope to have a good game. Hopefully the Gateway title will be deceide on the turf of the Fargodome!

Hopefully the week before at Plaster Field sounds better. :)

Bison101
April 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hopefully the week before at Plaster Field sounds better. :)

If it includes NDSU and a Gateway title, I could care less if it was at the North Pole! xnodx

MplsBison
April 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Our game against Central Connecticut just got more meaningful.

Now both our non conference FCS games are against teams from AQ conferences, albeit not the best teams from those conferences.

Good warm up games though.

Bison101
April 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Our game against Central Connecticut just got more meaningful.

Now both our non conference FCS games are against teams from AQ conferences, albeit not the best teams from those conferences.

Good warm up games though.

And nice wins to rack up!

Cap'n Cat
April 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM

He understands. Reppies.

Bison101
May 1st, 2008, 04:54 PM
He understands. Reppies.

Totally agreed. Some people say things just to get a boost.

Bison101
July 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
NDSU's offense is going to have a real tough time to live up to the last few years, it's a tall order. The spring game should give us some ideas but one of the last practice games the offense had one big play via the pass but after that I'm not to sure about any big plays happening. I just get a feeling offensively we are not going to be quite as productive as we have been in the last couple years it's just a gut feeling but I hope I'm wrong. Our run game I think will be very good but teams are going to key in on the run and force us to prove our passing game can beat them. It should be interesting but our QB lacks gametime experience having been behind Walker so he's untested so to speak. He's got big shoes to fill. I'm looking forward to seeing him play but I do think our offensive output will be down this year.

Wow. That was a mouthful.

The spring game did give us a few ideas (like how good Mertens was, how great Heckendorf is, and how versatile many members of our team are).

Houndawg
July 12th, 2008, 10:24 AM
NDSU's offense is going to have a real tough time to live up to the last few years, it's a tall order......... I just get a feeling offensively we are not going to be quite as productive as we have been in the last couple years.......... it's just a gut feeling but I hope I'm wrong.

Well, you will be going against tougher defenses on average each week. Looks like you're picked to win the MVC, so maybe things aren't all that bad.

ncbears
July 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wow. That was a mouthful.

The spring game did give us a few ideas (like how good Mertens was, how great Heckendorf is, and how versatile many members of our team are).

Spring games aren't really a gage for anything.